Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Independence Day: Resurgence **SPOILERS FROM POST 266 ONWARD**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

krudler wrote: »
    Hey I like it too, it's fun sci-fi silliness, great effects, but nonsensical stuff in it. Suspension of disbelief works when the universe within the movie can set up the tech or whatever and keep it within the realms of logic. explosions that dont enter doorways and laptops that can interface with technology from another galaxy when there's earth based operating systems that dont get on with each other is just stupid :p

Im not defending LA's strongest door.

Do you really find it so hard to believe that Jeff Goldblums character could send a signal to the alien ship using a laptop? The virus was simply an instruction to drop the shields. He had already downloaded their own signal and converted it to binary. All he needs to do is flip some bits to change the signal into something else in their own language. They have a working alien ship so they can brute force the settings on the alien ship and find out what signal does what, find out which signal turns off the shields, and send that. I used a similar technique to figure out the SNMP OIDs on some israeli wireless equipment I had access to, but didn't have access to the manuals.

Part of my job is building devices or writing software to solve problems that people havn't found answers to before, so maybe I find it easier to believe that it could be done than you.

At this point the only way I can demonstrate my point is if you go find me some alien technology and I figure out a way to interface with it with my Fedora 17 laptop, which admittedly is not going to happen any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

ollie1 wrote: »
    Seventeen years since the last Independence Day movie :eek: Man that makes me feel old.

stillnremember my mam bringin me and my nest friend to see this in the cinema,when the only popcorn you could get in our old cinema was bags of manhaton...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

transylman wrote: »
    My opinion is summed up in the video below. First half had some good alien saucer moments, but the movie overall was ruined by the silly ending and ridiculus sterotypes (old jewish guy, gruff military guy, drunken redneck, etc etc)

That was the fun part of it. I especially love when they contacted the British and others to co-ordinate. They were only short of having a bunch of onions around the French guys neck and Asians in Karate suits. Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

syklops wrote: »
    Independence Day is one of my most favourite movies in the world ever, but it does have a few plot holes.

Ha ha! Can I play?

2001 is one of my favourite films ever, but the pace is a little slow at times and the dialogue isn't very snappy.

Ha ha! Can I play?

Im sorry dave I can't do that..

2001 is very slow but thats maybe a topic for another thread.
    That was the fun part of it. I especially love when they contacted the British and others to co-ordinate. They were only short of having a bunch of onions around the French guys neck and Asians in Karate suits. Hilarious.

The fighter pilot with his etonian accent. "I say, we've received a message over morse code! By jove, its the americans. Woops, I just spilt my pink gin."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I remember the video being got in the house and it had one of those magic eye cover things when you tilted it went from non blown up white house to blown up white house.
    Twas cool at the time...a simpler time :pac:

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    I remember the video being got in the house and it had one of those magic eye cover things when you tilted it went from non blown up white house to blown up white house.
    Twas cool at the time...a simpler time :pac:

I had that as well. It was a hologram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

FrostyJack wrote: »

"The Yanks want to attack/ bout bloody time!" toodle pip whatwhat, by jove!

gotta love the US versions of other country stereotypes, they should have had a scene set in Ireland with us flinging sacks of potatoes at the ships. One parked over a crannog :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

to be fair, it sounds horrific

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have to say I find watching Independence Day a real struggle these days, it seems bloody endless. Not overly enthused about yet another cg-fest triple A Hollywood blockbuster either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hey I like it too, it's fun sci-fi silliness, great effects, but nonsensical stuff in it. Suspension of disbelief works when the universe within the movie can set up the tech or whatever and keep it within the realms of logic. explosions that dont enter doorways and laptops that can interface with technology from another galaxy when there's earth based operating systems that dont get on with each other is just stupid :p

no it's not. They had decades to build an interface and translation programme with the crashed ship and would already have been able to wire earth tech into it. The laptop doesn't connect to the mother ship, just to the fighter and the fighter connects to the mother ship. I thought that would have been pretty obvious, perfectly achievable and not a plot hole.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Not overly enthused about yet another cg-fest triple A Hollywood blockbuster either...

Did you think Hollywood had stopped making blockbusters?

Did you think Hollywood had stopped making blockbusters?

Interesting ones that live up to expectations? Yes.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Interesting ones that live up to expectations? Yes.

So presumably you didn't like The Avengers, Iron Man 3, The Dark Knight Rises, etc?

So presumably you didn't like The Avengers, Iron Man 3, The Dark Knight Rises, etc?

There are always exceptions to the rule, but if you re-read my initial post I said I wasn't "overly enthused" about the idea, I didn't write it off. The Hollywood of Terminator 1 & 2 is not the Hollywood we have today, but lets wait & see.

Edit - AND I'm in the wrong thread :o But much the same point.

• Advertisement

They should do it as spoof. The aliens return to Earth to get revenge on McAfee for the terrible Anti-virus software they sold them. Give John McAfee a leading role. Then Jeff Goldblum, using one of the new MacBook Pros, uploads another virus, destroying whatever is left of their civilisation. Oh and Will Smith and Will Smith Jr. show up and stuff explodes for the last 40 minutes.

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,533 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will Smith in talks to return now :cool:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Will Smith in talks to return now :cool:

To be honest, if its not going to be a straight to video affair Will Smith has to be in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

To be honest, if its not going to be a straight to video affair Will Smith has to be in it.
    Eh? Last time I checked, Since Seven Pounds released, Smith has only been in about 2 movies. MIIIB and After Earth. I'd hardly think he's Nicholas Cage levels of selecting movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

The release date has been pushed back a year to July 1, 2016.
    That means the Roland Emmerich-helmed pic will arrive exactly 20 years and one day after the blockbuster original

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/fox-pushes-independence-day-2-to-2016/

• Advertisement

Eh? Last time I checked, Since Seven Pounds released, Smith has only been in about 2 movies. MIIIB and After Earth. I'd hardly think he's Nicholas Cage levels of selecting movies.
    And?

Thrill wrote: »
    The release date has been pushed back a year to July 1, 2016.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/fox-pushes-independence-day-2-to-2016/

Which means "Its been delayed for other reasons and we have found a nice way of convincing the sheeple why.

Genuinely hope that Jaden Smith isn't in this. The guy has the charisma and acting skill of an onion.

Genuinely hope that Jaden Smith isn't in this. The guy has the charisma and acting skill of an onion.

What do you have against onions?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

At least onions have layers....

And?
    Lets see...in the break that Smith took from filmmaking, Cage has been in about 11 films in the same time frame. To say that Smith will take anything that isn't direct to video compared to Nick is ludicrous.
    Which is a shame, as I really liked that Karate Kid remake, even if it had nothing to do with Karate.

Loughc wrote: »
    At least onions have layers....

Touché! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I recall seeing this movie in a cinema in NYC and at the end of the movie people stood up and cheered. For what I do not know. I'm amazed its getting a sequel.

Lets see...in the break that Smith took from filmmaking, Cage has been in about 11 films in the same time frame. To say that Smith will take anything that isn't direct to video compared to Nick is ludicrous.

Whats the deal with your fetish for Nicholas Cage? Nicholas Cage wasn't in ID4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I recall seeing this movie in a cinema in NYC and at the end of the movie people stood up and cheered. For what I do not know. I'm amazed its getting a sequel.
    You're amazed that one of the biggest action movies ever is getting a sequel? Really?

I'm amazed it's taken this long.

• Advertisement

Whats the deal with your fetish for Nicholas Cage? Nicholas Cage wasn't in ID4.
    tumblr_m8ahfbYFJR1r29mqno1_500.gif

That's beside the point. I'm just stating about you saying that Will Smith won't turn down anything when that's not true. I mean, he turned down the lead role for Django Unchained, for god's sake!

tumblr_m8ahfbYFJR1r29mqno1_500.gif

That's beside the point. I'm just stating about you saying that Will Smith won't turn down anything when that's not true. I mean, he turned down the lead role for Django Unchained, for god's sake!

I never said he won't turn down anything.

Will Smith was in ID4, or Independece Day Numero Uno. Nicholas Cage was not. If ID4 Two becomes a straight to DVD jobbie, then its fair enough he will turn it down. If they make a stab at a second sci fi block buster sequel which he held a pivotal role in the first one then he should be in it. Was my point.

329763.PNGConfirmed.

I searched for an ID2 thread and was months old. Hope this is not on the first page and I am being blind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I hope those brilliant writers will be able to match the eloquence and beauty of Bill Pullman's Oscar winning speech in Independence Day. Quite something to follow up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

Good news. Looking forward to it.

I think Jeff should just install Windows Vista on the mothership this time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If the alien ship has updated to USB ports they're ruined.

If this has Will Smith's kid anywhere near it, I'm not interested. Stupid frowny forehead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

...and next on the list of terrible Hollywood ideas...

...and next on the list of terrible Hollywood ideas...

Fitting username for this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's about 18 years late. "Must go faster"

I still consider Bill Pullman to be the greatest president American has ever had.

• Advertisement

If they stick with continuity of time line and make the new film contemporary as against a direct sequel, it could work.

Humans with alien tech adapted and maybe even improved upon against the Aliens. I imagine that the Aliens, to be as big a threat as the President's vision depicted, were not confined to invading one system at a time and have a network of system killers.

The only thing is, are humans hunkering down to fight them off or going on the offense?

If they stick with continuity of time line and make the new film contemporary as against a direct sequel, it could work.

Humans with alien tech adapted and maybe even improved upon against the Aliens. I imagine that the Aliens, to be as big a threat as the President's vision depicted, were not confined to invading one system at a time and have a network of system killers.

The only thing is, are humans hunkering down to fight them off or going on the offense?

Good point. They would've reverse engineered a lot of the stuff that came down with the ships in the first movie.

I wouldn't it'll be an offensive thing. I hope not anyway - it's a better spectacle being under attack from an unknown enemy.

Besides, it mightn't paint humans in the best light by going on intergalactic kill missions! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Besides, it mightn't paint humans in the best light by going on intergalactic kill missions! :D

Feck 'em, they started it! :pac:

Will Smith needs this as much as anyone. He's disappeared down a black hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id love to see a proper upgraded Earth Defense navy of some kind with big ship to ship battles but if I was betting money on it Id go for some lame Stargate storyline involving the aliens developing infiltrator units that look and act like humans with at least one sexy infiltrator played by probably Alice Eve or someone and no doubt she'll show a bit of leg or cleavage to get into some important facility and will we be able to detect them in time to blah blah blah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It's a tricky one to follow up and is one instance where I think they'd be best off sticking close to the formula and not try and stick a hybrid dinosaur in there to make it "different". Human tech surely must have been advanced by the alien tech but I'd still like to see it set in a world not too different to our own. That was one of the great things about ID, it took a snapshot of our world with our tech and war machines and added aliens. If we're all technologically advanced for ID2, then it's no longer relatable to the real world and it's just another sci-fi invasion movie with everyone firing lasers at each other. Obviously though the world will have to have changed due to the events in ID but I just hope that is primarily from a military point of view and we don't have colonies living on Mars going around on jet packs.

Bacchus wrote: »
    It's a tricky one to follow up and is one instance where I think they'd be best off sticking close to the formula and not try and stick a hybrid dinosaur in there to make it "different". Human tech surely must have been advanced by the alien tech but I'd still like to see it set in a world not too different to our own. That was one of the great things about ID, it took a snapshot of our world with our tech and war machines and added aliens. If we're all technologically advanced for ID2, then it's no longer relatable to the real world and it's just another sci-fi invasion movie with everyone firing lasers at each other. Obviously though the world will have to have changed due to the events in ID but I just hope that is primarily from a military point of view and we don't have colonies living on Mars going around on jet packs.

Except the ridiculous nature of the first?
    Jeff able to write a virus on a Mac laptop, their big weapon being a massive weakness, their not scanning returning ships to the mother ship AND why not bomb us from space??

It could have us finding information on the second wave coming and scrambling to build new tech, remember the global population centres and industrial hubs are destroyed. Earth would just be getting back on its feet and now faces the new threat (or just give us X-Com the film)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Except the ridiculous nature of the first?
    Jeff able to write a virus on a Mac laptop, their big weapon being a massive weakness, their not scanning returning ships to the mother ship AND why not bomb us from space??

I'm not saying that ID was an airtight plot. I'm just saying that part of the appeal was seeing "the real world" get invaded and blown up by vastly superior aliens. So, for the sequel I think they have a tricky task in balancing what made ID appealing and creating the post ID world. It's trickier too because most of the major landmarks are already blown up! In my mind it should be an almost post 9/11 world on a global scale (without getting too political and losing the fun) - i.e. the world is still spinning, civilisation is just getting back on it's feet (as you menioned too) but there is the terror of the aliens returning. Technology should be more advanced than what we have now (particularly military) but I'd rather not see a human space armada or moon bases etc.

TBH though, I don't really know how they should handle another invasion. A lot of the impact of the invasion is gone with the lack of major cities to blow up so the game needs to be changed. Maybe a covert mission to infiltrate the alien fleet and infect them with Regin :pac: while the clock ticks on a new mothership heading for Earth... due to arrive on Thanksgiving Day so they can call this "Independence Day 2: Thanksgiving Day". It gives the president a whole new angle to give a speech.

Being able to hook a laptop from Earth up to an alien craft is one of the dumbest things in the history of cinema though :pac: what did he use to send the virus? wifi? bluetooth? a usb cable? most people cant connect a printer to a network without tearing their hair out never mind an alien mothership :P

The laptop was hooked up to the alien spacecraft they were in, which in turn was connected (alien tech, or just alien WiFi) to the mothership. If you look closely the laptop has cables running out of the back to suggest it's connected up.

The aliens used human built satellite's to to coordinate their attack which suggests some level of compatibility - after all - the technology we use today (or in 1996 in the film), it can be assumed, had been reverse engineered from the alien craft that crashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They didn't use the satellites, the satellites were just acting as accidental antennae picking up the alien communications signal, everyone on Earth was complaining about interference until whatshisface figured out what it was...

Antennae have various capabilities as regards frequency etc so in order to use the satellites as such, there would have to be some level of compatibility no? I don't know I'm asking..

Anyway, the second part still stands! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement