Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

actually in even more seriousness, the guy sounded like a right cnut and people like that don't do you or me or any other cyclists any favours what so ever. What will that driver do next time there is a cyclist in front of her - probably try to rush an overtake, because her experience with this guy is probably not something she wants to repeat. Im not pro car or anti cyclist or anything, but do think that everyone on the road should show some cop on and maturity, and when cycling in the middle of a lane to purposely slow a car and acting like a dick, that's not showing any maturity. A little bit of accommodation and that car drivers opinion could be - wow, cyclists can be considerate, rather than cyclists are inconsiderate. The worst kind of cyclist is the self righteous cyclist imho and using the road like that shouldn't be seen as acceptable. What if the grandfather had been having a heart attack?

In total seriousness, what if that driver had snapped completely and decided to run the cyclist over? Sometimes part of responsible safe defensive driving/riding is recognising that there is a potential hazard close to you and getting as far away from it as possible rather than trying to make a hazard more of a hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

lennymc wrote: »
    I can make out that name - probably a good idea to take it down and really blank it out before the world goes mad and targets the poor girl. Cyclist sounds like he was being a dick. If it was me in the car I possibly may have got out and thrown his bike over a hedge, swiftly followed by throwing him over a hedge.

She thought he was a bit far out on the road and beeped him to get out of her way. She was being a dick, and got treated like it in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

She thought he was a bit far out on the road and beeped him to get out of her way. She was being a dick, and got treated like it in return.

Seriously. She beeped him. Not pleasant, but definitely didn't deserve the reaction of the cyclist. Totally OTT and the exact reason cyclists are despised by so many. Clearly there's a few like-minded in here which is worrying.

I'm with lennymc on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Seriously. She beeped him. Not pleasant, but definitely didn't deserve the reaction of the cyclist. Totally OTT and the exact reason cyclists are despised by so many. Clearly there's a few like-minded in here which is worrying.

She was rude and got it returned. Factor in that she's probably downplaying her own rudeness and exaggerating his and it's in all likelihood evenly balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

That's only because you're scared of his cans of whoopass.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The cyclist may well have had a good reason for taking a defensive position. It may seem paradoxical, but sometimes, the safest place is well out from the kerb, preventing an overtake where there is not enough room to overtake safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

RainyDay wrote: »
    The cyclist may well have had a good reason for taking a defensive position. It may seem paradoxical, but sometimes, the safest place is well out from the kerb, preventing an overtake where there is not enough room to overtake safely.

Yeah, but..... was he wearing a helmet ??????

(it's a Friday after all )

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kav0777 wrote: »
    Yeah, but..... was he wearing a helmet ??????
    I thought there would be a helmet comment about that giraffe today.

Giraffe dies after hitting head on bridge in South Africa
    000950c8-642.jpg
    A young giraffe died today from head injuries sustained while being transported, blindfolded, in an open truck along a South African highway.

Spokesperson for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Rick Allan said he suspected the giraffe died after hitting its head against an overhead bridge.

The SPCA has launched investigations and may lay criminal charges against those involved in transporting the animals.

"Two giraffes were being transported by road ... one of the giraffes had an incident. We are not quite sure what happened, but we got unconfirmed reports that it hit its head on a bridge," he said.

A veterinarian had determined that the giraffe, which he described as young, "had died due to head injuries," he said.

The second animal is alive and well, he added.

It was unclear where the animals were being moved from or where they were being taken to, or if they were wild or belonged to a zoo, he said.

The incident took place between the capital Pretoria and the commercial hub of Johannesburg.

"Our investigations so far showed that the transport used was inadequate and incorrect," said Mr Allan.

"There are lots of projectiles flying around on the highway (and) especially leaving an animal with its heard sticking out blindfolded, is looking for problems."

This happens in the opening minutes of hangover 3 (brutal film)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Was the bridge wearing hi-viz?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

She was rude and got it returned. Factor in that she's probably downplaying her own rudeness and exaggerating his and it's in all likelihood evenly balanced.

What's that saying the press are using regarding Israel, Proportional Response I think.

The cyclist is Israel, the motorist Gaza in this case.

:D

my tuppence

@Rainyday - initially it may well have been defensive riding, but inviting, and provoking someone to move closer to you in a stress filled situation is not defensive riding. There is a basic concept in advanced rider training of a safety bubble - basically all the space between you and everything else on the road. Good defensive riding/driving/cycling says that the road user try's to keep this bubble as large as possible.

@ dermot - maybe she was being a dick. Quite possibly she was. I didn't read it like that however. I would also not consider a beep to let someone know i was there as being rude. Either way, his riding was provocative (I'm struggling to understand why anyone would want to antagonise someone in a ton of metal that could squash you very easily, who is already demonstrating signs of being in a stressful situation.......) Many cases of cars nudging bikes out of the way. Who is to say she wasn't some nut job who decided to ram him. His riding also adds to the perception that all cyclists ride irresponsibly, which indirectly affect me, as I have to share the road with people who witness cyclists behaving like that. What if next time it's you or me in front of her, and she decides, based on previous experience to risk an overtake that goes wrong. Some car drivers are balls of stress. I drive an impreza turbo, and drive responsibly (22 years driving, clean licence, no points, etc etc) and the sheer number of lunatics who see an impreza and nearly crash into other cars to try and prevent me from merging, or changing lane is astounding. This is just normal driving stuff that I can do in my wife's car without anyone batting an eyelid. Perception is a very powerful thing that can result in strange behaviour in otherwise rational people. I bet she won't remember the hundreds of responsible cyclists she passes every day, but will remember this one, and act accordingly. Using public roads should be seen as a privilege rather than a right.

@CatFromHue - Using your analogy - Gaza possesses a massive metal nuke that would wipe out Isreal if Gaza decided it had had enough....

Being in the right, and being safe are not the same thing.

I see a lot of similarities between cyclists and motorcyclists in perceived wrongs on people - a cyclist will generally stick up for a cyclist, a motorcyclist will generally stick up for a motorcyclist etc, but at the end of the day we are all road users and should stick up for other road users and call out people (regardless of what they use on the road) who are dicks.

I like this kind of discussion - i think it helps people think about how they use the road, and maybe think that little bit more about the wider ranging consequences of their actions. anyway, it's a bank holiday weekend - stay safe out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

seany15 wrote: »
    why does miss rabbit have all the jobs? Like when she's driving the bus, can nobody get a coffee? When she's out fighting fires can nobody visit the cave beauty spot? It makes no sense....
    She received an award for being the hardest working person ever in a recent episode.
    I can make out that name - probably a good idea to take it down and really blank it out before the world goes mad and targets the poor girl.
    I recognise the person, mainly from two separate occasions running a red that had turned a few seconds before so they could jump the traffic and turn up left after the dublin bus garage ( the turn after not at), surprised they noticed the cyclist with their inability to see crossing traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

I would also not consider a beep to let someone know i was there as being rude.

She describes it as "a little beep [to get him] to move over", which seems paradoxical. A beep to get someone to move out of your way is generally not little, so it suggests that she's already exaggerating.

Particularly if he was actually cycling at 5kph and she wasn't able to safely overtake him while he was "a bit far into the road", then there must have been some crazy road conditions or she doesn't belong on the road. Then she shouted at him, and blared the horn continuously.

Really, nobody comes out of this looking good. Cyclist seems like a dick whom we should all tell to cop on, and collectively give a punch in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Bit more fuel for the fire:

316808.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

"I'm not a murderer, some of my best friends are alive"

Sean Lock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Just discovered Durianrider, quite funny so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Kinet1c wrote: »

'Discover' his girlfriend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Zyzz wrote: »
    'Discover' his girlfriend ;)

This. Squared.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Doc07

'powah meetahh!'
    'carbs, carbs, carbs...sugar,sugar,sugar'

My favourite;
    'Spinners for winners, dance like Lance'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

mystica_adjustable_spanner_silhouette.svg
    Can't stand the tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Quick my dad the pensioner update: Since he started using a cycle computer at the start of the month he's put 300km on it and N+1d with a boardman team Carbon. He's also lost the gut that he hasn't been able to shift for the last decade + in the space of a couple of months.

Cycling FTW...I'm in serious danger of being left in his dust trail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

In fairness, he's managed to create a nice business for himself. Many cycling enthusiasts will have seen his vids at some point. Theres no shortage of opinionated people on the internet that inadvertently promote his brand. Those sort of page views would earn him a decent enough paycheque from youtube, allowing him to ride his bike more. And work being the curse of the cycling classes, I say chapeau to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Strava acting the b*llocks for anyone else? I'm getting the "Queued" status and nothing else happening.

Strava acting the b*llocks for anyone else? I'm getting the "Queued" status and nothing else happening.

It was acting up for me earlier, ios7 on 4s. Checked the desktop site before even changing apps on my phone and it had uploaded. Took its time though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

PIcked up a pair of neoprene socks in Aldi today...they may come in handy for days like yesterday https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-3rd-august/products-detail-page/ps/p/neoprene-socks-1/

ror_74 wrote: »
    In fairness, he's managed to create a nice business for himself. Many cycling enthusiasts will have seen his vids at some point. Theres no shortage of opinionated people on the internet that inadvertently promote his brand. Those sort of page views would earn him a decent enough paycheque from youtube, allowing him to ride his bike more. And work being the curse of the cycling classes, I say chapeau to him.
    His cycling stuff is interesting/funny, not so much on the whole vegan+++++ stuff though. "Just easy"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Cuengo's Knee, not looking the best

Warning - graphic image
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuREUMNCEAEAzLa.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Cycling Show is on ITV4 at the moment (8-9pm).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Trying to decide which new helmet to get as my Livestrong one has been cracked!

Kask Infinity or Casco Speedster

Thoughts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement