Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So in other words, Metallica couldn't be arsed releasing a new album.

Do you reckon that out of the 300 riffs or whatever they have, they're all crap and in reality they haven't come up with anything decent yet which is why progress is slow? So instead of refining what they've got or whatever other crap they've been coming out and saying, they're actually struggling to come up with anything worth releasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

Do you reckon that out of the 300 riffs or whatever they have, they're all crap and in reality they haven't come up with anything decent yet which is why progress is slow? So instead of refining what they've got or whatever other crap they've been coming out and saying, they're actually struggling to come up with anything worth releasing.

Am I under the right impression that these days Metallica basically go into the studio with a heap of riffs, a few lyrics maybe and then attempt to piece all that together into something that resembles coherent songs? It all seems a bit soulless, mathematical and protracted. It also puts a weight of expectation on their shoulders like, "Well, we're going into the studio now with all these riffs. We'll see you in 9 months with the album! Somehow!"

Hetfield says, on the Classic Albums for TBA, that basically you get one good riff and that's the meat of the song. It seems like their attitude to songwriting has done a fairly drastic turnaround. They used to have their songs worked on and demoed before entering the studio proper. Now, they're basically noodling in the studio waiting for stuff to happen, and arranging stuff in pro tools. You know, a great song idea can strike you anywhere, and some of the best have, as many writers have attested, poured out in one or two sittings. If inspiration isn't striking Metallica, then they shouldn't force it. The only Metallica album I want to hear is one that their hearts are truly in. I don't think we need to hear them phoning it in just because an arbitrary amount of time has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yeah, i think the whole we have X amount of riffs is a load of rubbish, instead of all the recent procrastinating they've done, they should've done Lamb Of God are currently doing which is stay away from social media and interviews (let management handle any kind of show announcements), get their collective minds together and lock themselves down in HQ and focus on demoing & writing the best album they can. It's been 6 years since Death Magnetic was released and yet somehow they've managed to keep people talking about them even though it's not new album related.

They can do the interviews when they've got the album done. Is that too much to ask of my favourite band to do?

More NHL Hockey shenanigans from Metallica.

http://www.metallica.com/news/20141215-241073.asp

More NHL Hockey shenanigans from Metallica.

http://www.metallica.com/news/20141215-241073.asp

Raiders - Check
    Giants - Check
    Sharks - Check

So just the Golden State Warriors and the San Jose Earthquake to go and they'll have the full set. Unless they break the cardinal rule of doing events with multiple teams from the same sport and turn up at an Athletics or 49ers game. Although knowing James' love for the Raiders, I can't see him doing the latter.

Don't worry though, they'll run out of things to avoid making an album soon.

• Advertisement

Well Metallica haven't done a residency in Las Vegas, wouldn't be surprised if they announced that some point down the line, they've conquered all continents, Lars probably has sights set on playing the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Don't worry though, they'll run out of things to avoid making an album soon.

Don't be so sure about that.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2014/12/15/metallica-frontman-run-for-governor

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

That's a shame, I really liked Lords of Summer, thought it was better than most of Death Magnetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Well Metallica haven't done a residency in Las Vegas, wouldn't be surprised if they announced that some point down the line, they've conquered all continents, Lars probably has sights set on playing the moon.

I don't think that would work quite the same as it did with Crue or GNR.

I'd like to imagine that Las Vegas just isn't the type of scene that Metallica would fit with. And besides, considering the overheads of what they demand, I'd be relatively confident that (for the moment) it just wouldn't be enough money to satisfy them.

After Glastonbury - which they were obviously paid a shed load to do - there is little incentive to them touring naturally, from a financial point of view, in the UK and Ireland outside festivals. They might attempt to bring Orion to England in 2016 or something like that, but at the moment I imagine their exclusive performances at various events are keeping them well taken care of.

Plus, think of the merchandising, I'd imagine that website pretty much runs like a business all by itself, as well as their "Blackened Records" label...much like KISS there's no real point in them releasing an album or touring conventionally every 2/3 years - more like every 5/6

Good point, a Metallica residency would be costly, lights, pyro, lasers, video monitors either side of the stage, and i don't think Metallica or their management would want them to take on another costly venture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Good point, a Metallica residency would be costly, lights, pyro, lasers, video monitors either side of the stage, and i don't think Metallica or their management would want them to take on another costly venture.

Don't forget the white tigers. Oh, and the gem encrusted jumpsuit. They cost a bit too.

Don't think Metallica will do Vegas. But they are due to do something embarrassing on a par with U2's iTunes album giveaway.

ush wrote: »
    Don't forget the white tigers. Oh, and the gem encrusted jumpsuit. They cost a bit too.

Don't think Metallica will do Vegas. But they are due to do something embarrassing on a par with U2's iTunes album giveaway.

I doubt Metallica would go that far now.

I doubt Metallica would go that far now.

Especially the 'giveaway' bit. They're an industry remember...!!!

Here is a list of all the countries Metallica have played, plus other interesting live stats. I wonder what far out countries they might set their sights on in the future? Mongolia? Greenland? Not trying to give them ideas or anything, but there's still most of the world they haven't played.

Read somewhere that Lars landed or wrapped up a movie role

Ordered some stuff from the store last week. Standard shipping. Left the store within 20 minutes of the order being placed, if I'm lucky I should expect an early Christmas bonus on the 24th - it is coming from San Fran but there's still hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Ordered some stuff from the store last week. Standard shipping. Left the store within 20 minutes of the order being placed, if I'm lucky I should expect an early Christmas bonus on the 24th - it is coming from San Fran but there's still hope!

I haven't bought anything off their site in years but it used to take an age to arrive, often 2 to 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We're constantly hearing the same crap time and time again

1. Lars is a shite drummer
    2. Not recorded a decent studio album in over 20years
    3. James and his cringeworthy 'Metallica Family' rants
    4. Metallica are just a money making machine
    5. They're just too old to do anything decent
    6. Countless more i can't even remember

But ya know what, i've just been doing my Turkey while listening to the Donington set from 2006 (MoP in full), a gig i was at.

THEY ARE STILL ONE OF THE BEST LIVE BANDS EVER TO WALK THIS FCUKIN EARTH

That recording epitomizes everything about them, just pure power with 80,000 people singing along as one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

scudzilla wrote: »

But ya know what, i've just been doing my Turkey while listening to the Donington set from 2006 (MoP in full), a gig i was at.

That recording epitomizes everything about them, just pure power with 80,000 people singing along as one

Amen to that!!! Best post on this thread - EVER! They're heads & shoulders above everyone else!!

scudzilla wrote: »

I think the reason people get so passionate about the band is because we're all such big fans and don't like the path the band has chosen in the years since Rob joined (although totally independent from him joining, I'm not saying it's because of him). Number 6 on your list should be the repeated defenders of them band saying they're achieved everything and are entitled to do what they want at this stage. I'm not saying that argument is wrong but it's repeated just as much on here as any of the arguments you listed. Anyway, here's my thoughts on your points.

1. I hate this one too (and the corresponding 'Kirk's got sloppy' one). So what, if I want perfection i'll go listen to someone else, I'm not a 'musical expert' who analyses every note or every beat but when I'm at a gig, unless it's God awful, i don't notice little mistakes, I'm just into the feel of the gig etc. But I'm sure the music connoisseurs will have a field day with me on that one.

2. I think it's that they haven't recorded ANY album in so bloody long that pisses people off. Quit making excuses, quit finding sports stadiums to play in and other crap to do and record a f*&king album. This will probably lead to the usual response discussed above that 'they're entitled at this stage of their careers to do what they want'.

3. It's the fact that the rants are scripted and the same every night that makes them as cringeworthy as they are. Hard to take something like that seriously. Maybe they were always like that but now with livemetallica and youtube etc. we can see them for what they are nowadays.

4. They've said that themselves and have openly admitted it. if they're happy enough to be open about that, why shouldn't we discuss it.

5. I've never agreed with this one and as there are loads of other bands older than them still getting it done, there's no reason why they can't. I don't think age is the issue with then not being able to do anything decent, it's the lack of motivation or desire. Maybe the reason they have to shift through 300+ideas they have for so long is because they have hit a song writing roadblock and the 300 ideas are all crap?

Another argument I find laughable is people defending their antics around the time of St. Anger because of all the emotional trauma they were going through. Give me a break, they were acting like spoilt kids. Everyone has issues.

Anyway, happy Christmas to all and let's hope we get an album in 2015 and not just plans for that gig on the moon!

EDIT - Sorry one further point. If they released something new, we would have something to talk about and wouldn't have to go back to talking about the same stuff over again.

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas

btw, I'm selling my Fan Can, if anyone is interested

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321625383616?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Was listening to Eddie Trunk's podcast with Bob Rock last week, and Bob said this about the next Metallica album. He also doesn't see himself working with the band ever again.
    I think they’ve got a landmark record in them – and it’s probably brewing right now.
    I don’t see it happening. I think they’ve got to keep moving forward. With Death Magnetic they went back to their roots, which was great. I get where they went and they had to go there.

10885473_10152515680245264_5299996161420142347_n.jpg?oh=732409317aa8f49277121541c8933ea4&oe=5531D74E

Lars drive for material gain can probably be explained through being a child of the combined Xmas/B-day pressie.

Metallica's Rock Am Ring 2006 Master Of Puppets set is right up there with the previously mentioned Donington set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Maybe a new point for conversation apart from the usual ****e, but what are all your favourite live performances and bootlegs, audio or otherwise?

With the live Metallica site now we are lucky to be able to get the most of the recent shows on short notice. I haven't really delved into going through every performance, but ones that spring to mind are the Moscow show from monsters of rock (it is just plain awesome), both the live **** gigs (good quality and the band firing on all cylinders), and the filmore anniversary gigs, (helped by the variety of setlist). I once had a bootleg cd titled ' live in twin cities ' from the black album tour that was amazing. Two cds and every song was great, I'm still bitter that it was nicked a few years back.

Was never a massive fan of the cunning stunts / s&m era gigs, just felt a bit too jaded, and James was rebuilding his voice.

So, what are the favourites lads?

Seattle '89 & San Diego '92 shows are Metallica at the top of their game.

Seattle '89 for me too

And while I haven't seen the entire set (and as they were a support band, it was probably less than an hour long), the intensity of Moscow '91 from the bit I have seen is immense.

Metallica need to do more live albums, something along the lines of Live ****: Binge & Purge would be cool, they have a tonne of stuff to choose from should they ever decide to go down that road again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Seattle '89 for me too

And while I haven't seen the entire set (and as they were a support band, it was probably less than an hour long), the intensity of Moscow '91 from the bit I have seen is immense.

Epic

Advertisement