Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

To be honest I'd sign up. I've been fortunate enough to catch Metallica live in Europe and the U.S. on various tours, hell I even started Seek and Destroy once,

Elaborate please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Pretty much all of us here could predict the setlist.

The last time I saw them (Marlay Park in '09) that's exactly how I felt - it had become predictable. They'd start with either Creeping Death or Blackened, Sandman would close the main set, Seek and Destroy at the very end.

I'd love to hear them doing Fixxxer live, doubt if it'd happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I'd only go to see them indoor now. Seen all their recent (southern) Ireland shows, but coincidently happened to be in Sydney when they played indoor there. I just couldn't be arsed going to Marley Park now, but would put up with a predictable set and some Metallica family crap, to see them back in The Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Elaborate please?

Two friends and I travelled around the U.S. for six shows in 2008, I had an Irish flag on the barrier each night, and on our last show Lars brought me up on stage to count in Seek and Destroy. I stupidly went to give him back his sticks aftewards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Two friends and I travelled around the U.S. for six shows in 2008, I had an Irish flag on the barrier each night, and on our last show Lars brought me up on stage to count in Seek and Destroy. I stupidly went to give him back his sticks aftewards :D

Is that vid still up on metontour?

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    Is that vid still up on metontour?

There's no vid, but there's pictures Metclub Jeff took from a few of the shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Apparently Stefan from the Metclub posted this update on the Metclub forum (can anyone confirm this?)
    We have a band absolutely plugged into the writing process in the HQ studio.

As for the studio work, well, I've largely been keeping my nose out of it because there is a focus and precision work ethic right now that suggests no interlopers are welcome as the guys lock in and hone down a playbook's worth of riffs and ideas into tighter 'Tallica tunes. I do know that these studio days are unlike anything I have known before in terms of getting down to it, and the occasional riff-snippet I hear tells me that they aren't ****ing around in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

One of my oldest mates Matt won a comp once wit metclub, he went to the copenhagen shows, AAA pass and filmed it all for the metclub, jammy fcuker

As for the setlists, said it countless times, boring and stale.

Remember seeing them on the Black tour in Manchester when they used to mix things up, opened up with Roam which was ace

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Metal Hammer scraping the barrel for a Metallica story. They've not released an album in six years yet they're constantly in the media somewhere.

• Advertisement

Metal Hammer scraping the barrel for a Metallica story. They've not released an album in six years yet they're constantly in the media somewhere.

Metallica have clearly mastered the art of procrastination in regards to getting album #10 done.

If this procrastination carries on, i wouldn't be surprised if Lars came out tomorrow saying the band were keen on either playing on the moon, or a 4 week long Vegas residency.

I miss the buzz around MissionMetallica. I used to love those video updates.

Basically I want this video for the next album right now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I miss the buzz around MissionMetallica. I used to love those video updates.

Basically I want this video for the next album right now :P

To be honest I think they are better off leaving the cameras out of the studio while they are recording, just work on the album, no distractions and cameras in their faces hindering their progress...all attention on the album

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    To be honest I think they are better off leaving the cameras out of the studio while they are recording, just work on the album, no distractions and cameras in their faces hindering their progress...all attention on the album

I doubt they even notice the cameras these days after having them shoved in their faces for so long. Personally i'd like to see another making of video for this album like the did on Death Magnetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

"Dude, your gig's in jeopardy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0n5deCbC-o

briany wrote: »
    "Dude, your gig's in jeopardy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0n5deCbC-o

The main "dun-dun-dun duuunnnn dun-dun-dun duuunnnn" riff is cool. I'd like to see that in a song.

The main "dun-dun-dun duuunnnn dun-dun-dun duuunnnn" riff is cool. I'd like to see that in a song.

I think that was used in All Nightmare Long, could be mistaken though

http://loudwire.com/robert-trujillo-metallica-blueprinting-new-album/
    We’re just blueprinting everything right now. There are a lot of ideas, a lot of song bodies. You gotta go through the process,” says Trujillo. “For me personally I’m really excited about what we’ve been able to jam out. I don’t like to make predictions, but I’d like to think — at least for me — that I’m really happy with what’s happening instrumentally. So let’s see how that journey continues. Writing a Metallica song is a journey and a process and it takes time, but that’s what’s special about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Didn't they say the something along the same lines about 6 months ago?

Didn't they say the something along the same lines about 6 months ago?

I think so, i guess we're just gonna have to wait patiently for the new album, it better be ****ing brilliant if they're taking this long with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

In the back of my mind I'm just not expecting a 2015 release to be honest. If so it'll be like tail end of 2015 pushing on 2016. I'd rather they take their time as long as it turns out awesome and no f**k ups with mixing and mastering.

There won't be a Guitar Hero version to save their asses next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I am looking forward to ordering some new merch this Christmas from the store, been a while since I had any new Metallica shirts

I think that was used in All Nightmare Long, could be mistaken though

I think they changed it so much that they sound like two different riffs now. I'd prefer the one in the video, but maybe that's just because I'm used to the one in the song.

I am looking forward to ordering some new merch this Christmas from the store, been a while since I had any new Metallica shirts

Theres a sale on today as far as I'm aware. 20% off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

How do their tshirt sizes compare to EU ones?

seachto7 wrote: »
    How do their tshirt sizes compare to EU ones?

Basically L is Euro XL, XXL is Euro XL - and the new shirts now go up to 3XL!

The theory of this article is that Metallica simply don't want to make an album and are only really making it out of a sense of duty, I suppose. That's worrying because if their hearts aren't truly in it, they'll end up putting out a 'riff collage', and an album that doesn't actually SAY a whole lot.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/12/12/metallica-may-never-record-new-album/

So in other words, Metallica couldn't be arsed releasing a new album.

So in other words, Metallica couldn't be arsed releasing a new album.

To release the thing, they'd have to actually have written and recorded it first.

I suppose that attitude makes more sense as tour revenue seems to be where artists' income is coming from these days. Metallica have basically been playing shows on and off since DM dropped.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    The theory of this article is that Metallica simply don't want to make an album and are only really making it out of a sense of duty, I suppose. That's worrying because if their hearts aren't truly in it, they'll end up putting out a 'riff collage', and an album that doesn't actually SAY a whole lot.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/12/12/metallica-may-never-record-new-album/

It's a fair argument if they don't feel they have anything more to give right now. And they themselves have said that they don't really earn much from actually recording and releasing an album. Plus the profits from the Death Magnetic world tour seem to indicate that touring in the UK/Ireland (outside festivals) was the least profitable thing they've done in the last few years....hence the UK exclusives

Advertisement