Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

O Grady did not apologise to the board about the performances, asked for a retraction but it has not come

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Stepping down over a lack of retraction? How big is his ego? He could have publicly disagreed and let them had their answer by preparing the team well and going down and beating tipp. Showed how interested he was in this team, his ego is more important. I didn't want him back, and I doubt this will see us any worse come summer than if he was still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Typical, if there's ever a county thats likely to hit the self destruct button its us

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Ah lad,O grady has an ego

What a joke

What he has,is principle,and isnt a yes man or county board man ,and wont take orders whens hes righ.He had great interest team ,ye messed over Ger C,then had job him,then cxcled it wanted o grady .O grady walked ,as hes own man,like cody,jack o connor,morgan would do ,etc the great managers

Yet they want him aplogise results ,when he hadnt clear control team.What a laugh ,job months ,yet want apolgy.Allen had dismal year 1,and no apology .Oh yeah ,players had emails thanking allen fun training.

Ye just blew away any chance of all ireland.Nobody in right mind would deal with that board .
    Wake up lads ye think tg ryan win ye anything,club man is he limit,ov of hes depth.He cried wolf,clare too rough in w crystal cup.What does he think championshlp be ,

I feel for limerick as ye deserve more ,but ye wont do anything with tj.

And tom ryan at u21.Limerick ,such talent ,wont do much .

Paddy was bang on when he sahpd it would end shambles in october .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I didn't expect that................

I don't even know what to think. Maybe this is best if he was the one that the players had problems with, leaving with dignity is better than the Justin farce. At the same time, I don't have much faith in TJ's ability on his own..... he doesn't have much record to speak of. Is he going to turn things around? I really don't know. Surely we have to get a coach of some sort to replace O'Grady/

But whether it will be good or bad long-term, it's certainly not ideal for this kind of thing to happening at this stage of the season. We put our hope/trust in Ryan/O'Grady and we've only been answered with failure so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Sam Jam

TJ the Limerickman will have to roll up the sleeves now and show us he has a strong back to instill confidence and belief in the players.

Hopefully the team will unite now and become all the better for it.

OGrady's gone, big deal. Well able to do without him. Moving forward lads. Championship time around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Maybe he has a big ego- but he's right. Some idiots on our board wanted to make a name for themselves by publicly dressing down the management team.

It was the county board who decided to go with this ridiculous joint manager experiment, this was never going to work. The blame lies 100% with the county board here.

If they had a problem with the management team, tell them privately. Turning it into a public circus was disgraceful, and I don't see why O'Grady (or any other manager for that matter) should have to put up with that bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

FFS, jokeshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

some chairman ye have lads acting the big man about ogrady having to apologise, he failed to understand the man he was dealing with im afriad. Best of luck to limerick in the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Ah lad,O grady has an ego

What a joke

What he has,is principle,and isnt a yes man or county board man ,and wont take orders whens hes righ.He had great interest team ,ye messed over Ger C,then had job him,then cxcled it wanted o grady .O grady walked ,as hes own man,like cody,jack o connor,morgan would do ,etc the great managers

Yet they want him aplogise results ,when he hadnt clear control team.What a laugh ,job months ,yet want apolgy.Allen had dismal year 1,and no apology .Oh yeah ,players had emails thanking allen fun training.

Ye just blew away any chance of all ireland.Nobody in right mind would deal with that board .
    Wake up lads ye think tg ryan win ye anything,club man is he limit,ov of hes depth.He cried wolf,clare too rough in w crystal cup.What does he think championshlp be ,

I feel for limerick as ye deserve more ,but ye wont do anything with tj.

And tom ryan at u21.Limerick ,such talent ,wont do much .

Paddy was bang on when he sahpd it would end shambles in october .

I completely agree that the county board are a bunch of pernicious idiots (since thy is about the strongest language I am allowed use to describe them on here). Also, TJ is not up to this and will win nothing.

However, O'Grady put his own self regard above any respect for the players he was working with and walked out 6 weeks before championship. He threw the toys out of the pram. The players put in a lot more effort and aren't doing it for the money like O'Grady and this is the respect he shows them.

In any event, O'Grady has taken us backwards so far. He believes that if teams play like cork did a dozen years ago they'll win, he is yesterday's man. Does anyone believe we will now actually be any worse come summer than if O'Grady was there? I don't.

The year is probably a write off. I'm glad O'grady is gone. Hopefully Ryan follows him at the end of the year.

• Advertisement

The apology might only have been the tip of the iceberg, pretty sure this is what the CB and other faction wanted from the start.

This resigination doesn't solve any of the problems I mentioned earlier

Imagine any outsider looking in on this sh*t. Forget getting a decent outsider ever again. We fcuked over the cork Ger C so maybe this is karma coming back on us.

Can you imagine our own Ger C or kinnerk looking on at this mess, why would they want to get involved.

Forget this year and fcuk knows who these clowns will put in charge next year.

Minors are only hope.

Awful negative stuff being said about our year being over. I disagree strongly.

O'Grady is all about himself and I was aware of this years ago and disliked him for it.

No harm has been done in reality. Players may feel offended a little but who knows they actually might be happy enough he's walked. All they have to do now is hurl to their ability and without a doubt in my mind if they do that they'll win the A I this year.

Sorry Sam Jam, but there is no way Limerick will end up winning the All-Ireland this year. Not even a remote possibility. We are light years behind Kilkenny, Clare and Tipperary and are behind Cork, Galway and Dublin too.

A good year for us at this stage is making the quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

Sam Jam wrote: »
    Awful negative stuff being said about our year being over. I disagree strongly.

O'Grady is all about himself and I was aware of this years ago and disliked him for it.

No harm has been done in reality. Players may feel offended a little but who knows they actually might be happy enough he's walked. All they have to do now is hurl to their ability and without a doubt in my mind if they do that they'll win the A I this year.

Limerick are well off the chasing pack for an all ireland this year and all the proof points that way. Kk and clare are the leaders with tipp, galway, dublin and possibly cork next in line. Limerick and waterford bring up the remaining viable options and they would need a huge string of results to go their way. No doubt whatsoever about the talented hurlers in limerick but unfortunately there are big issues about management and limerick still have a huge issue winning big games outside the gaelic grounds

Hanalei wrote: »
    Sorry Sam Jam, but there is no way Limerick will end up winning the All-Ireland this year. Not even a remote possibility. We are light years behind Kilkenny, Clare and Tipperary and are behind Cork, Galway and Dublin too.

A good year for us at this stage is making the quarter finals.

Oh ye of little faith.

A hurling match is a two horse race Han. Limerick are capable beating any team. Don't forget that.

sean mac wrote: »
    Limerick are well off the chasing pack for an all ireland this year and all the proof points that way. Kk and clare are the leaders with tipp, galway, dublin and possibly cork next in line. Limerick and waterford bring up the remaining viable options and they would need a huge string of results to go their way. No doubt whatsoever about the talented hurlers in limerick but unfortunately there are big issues about management and limerick still have a huge issue winning big games outside the gaelic grounds

A team can rise up and do it. Look at Clare last year sure. It's all about belief Sean. Davey had those young lads yes young lads they were only 21 year old on average brainwashed to their inner cores that they were going to win the A I. Their hurlers are no better than Limericks.

O'Grady gone so what?,,, This team can do it, I don't doubt that. They just got to get it into their heads.

Oh ye of little faith.

A hurling match is a two horse race Han. Limerick are capable beating any team. Don't forget that.

We certainly are capable of beating any team provided the preparation is right, but this year has been disastrous! Would take a miracle to win the All-Ireland from where we are now.

I admire your optimism, yes it very well could happen, but as of right now a scenario whereby Limerick end up winning the All-Ireland just doesn't make any sense!

Hanalei wrote: »
    We certainly are capable of beating any team provided the preparation is right, but this year has been disastrous! Would take a miracle to win the All-Ireland from where we are now.

I admire your optimism, yes it very well could happen, but as of right now a scenario whereby Limerick end up winning the All-Ireland just doesn't make any sense!

I see where you're coming from Han. I hope you're wrong. If they click at all they'll win it. Lets hope they click.

I must say that I'm in the camp that says we have no chance of winning an All-Ireland, as much as I want to believe otherwise.

There is no doubting that we have players that are talented enough to do it- Condon, GOM, Paudie, Browne, Dowling, Hannon, Hickey, Downes, Graeme Mul, etc. these players have the talent necessary. But that's no good if you don't have tactics, spirit, etc. because most other counties have players just as good.

TJ has never shown that he is capable of putting together a gameplan capable of beating the best teams. I like TJ, one of my favourite Limerick players, a great servant to Limerick and all that, but it doesn't make him a good manager. The hope was that O'Grady would ease him in, and he'd learn the ropes. In face, we seemed to go backwards.

The only hope as far as I can see it is that the players unite and perform above themselves, while TJ gets a simple gameplan and it clicks. The players weren't happy... are they going to be happier now? In my opinion, it's better that the manager goes than the players going.

But overall, what a mess, the county board should be ashamed. In hindsight, this managerial team should never have been appointed. And while I actually do think questions should have been asked about our poor performance in the league- we blew it with 30 seconds to go in one match against an Offaly side who finished bottom, it should never have been done so publicly, seemingly with the aim of slurring the managerial team and making the county board men look tough. Disaster.

Hearing that TJ might be going too, just remaining on to oversee the challenge match before they get a new team in place????

Who in their right mind would take over this job now?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's beyond farcical that TJ stays but O'Grady goes, how can he work under a board where he uses words like 'appalled' 'alarmed' and 'undermined' to describe his dealings with them? And yet he expects to stay 'in the interests of continuity' as if the breakdown with his employer is completely irrelevant... totally dysfunctional system but this is Limerick :mad:

JP must now step in and say, not a single penny more until these muppets sort themselves out.

Yeah maybe for the long term good JP would be better off using his influence to sort out the county board than bailing us out for new managers every year, id be happy if TJ did go TBH, cant wait to see who'll take over from there.

But isn't JP the one who wanted that management team in the first place?

I'd say TJ will go unless they can't find anyone else. Not great for his CV, and I don't really blame him. I'd say that Carey would take the job if he was offered it...... but I don't have a huge amount of faith in him either. Again, no doubt that he was a top class player but does he have the nous to bring Limerick where they should be??

There's no way someone like Ger Cunningham or Jerry Wallace or Eamonn Cregan would touch this job now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

As a Tipp man all I can say is I sympathise with ye're situation. Ye have the players, promising youths and a hunger to win. The managing/coaching situation is a shambles however (something Tipperary fans know all too much about after Declan Ryans disastrous reign as skipper).
    Once ye have that sorted I'm certain Limerick will be the thorn in the bollõx of Tipperary again..
    Keep the faith lads....

There's nothing we can do but keep the faith, it's not like we're going to start supporting Cork, Tipp or Clare :P

But what about the players? This is probably Donal O'Grady's last year (the captain, that is)... some of these players have already had one year down the drain with the strike, is this to be another? Some of them are commuting huge distances, and they're all putting in huge work. They deserve better. And they're being fcuked over again.

Maybe they knew this was coming, but that doesn't make it any better. We've got hurlers who just want to hurl and do their best for themselves and for Limerick, but because of incompetency at management and administrative levels, they are being held back.

To be honest, I'm not sure we were going anywhere under O'Grady and Ryan this year anyway, but you had to have faith in them turning it around, there was always the possibility. If they can get someone in who the players will universally respect, and he can get them to rally round, that is our only hope I think. And even then, preparation is not going to be ideal..... you can hardly change a gameplan and tactics this close to the Championship. Some teams have been training for 6/7 months at this stage, we can't start again with a couple of weeks to go.

I see where you're coming from Han. I hope you're wrong. If they click at all they'll win it. Lets hope they click.

Your view defines all what wrongs in limerick

Just turn up day,hope it clicks

You have any idea what it takes tactically to win an all ireland and training wise

You really show your hurling punditry skills when zou dismiss clare as being average same as limerick

Clares touch and speed miles ahead limerick and o grady working towards that.

I say you never watched clare train ul north campus jan to april,you did you would clearly see why they won it and why limerick if tj stays wont be in an asses roar of a munster not to mind all ireland

He would struggle to win a waterford crystal

But hey ,ye may get lucky in 4 games and go all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Tipp will clean ye come championship. Surprised TJ didn't go with DOG.

Paddy I totally agree,its a sad sad day for Limerick.I follow ye a lot,u16,minors etc as ye know,i even mentioned yere u16 beat clare saturday cork thread and a lot of yere schools lads.
    However producing Nash,cian lynch etc stars future,is nt worth much good to ye when ye again make a shambles at senior .

no one in there right mind would touch limerick now,sheedy,daly ,etc .
    Jerry wallis is if what I hear asked to join.I cant c it.He is far too intelligent and no way would he work with tj or County coard now.
    He stay with minors.
    He has too much respect for o grady to join also after that .He refused to go the cork last year,a cork team as he wasnt happy the set up.He wont join them ,i would sayg

Limerick fiasco is,like Saipan and Roy keane,make no mistake,he was Set up.

A few Clowns in the board wanted him gone ,as they wanted A limerick man helm they want ,and they knew too well ,insult o grady ,and make him bow to us ,he will walk.Limerick arent fools more like it was poltically done ,wanted him to go.Simple as.

He had huge interest in limerick.And for people saying he was big money,yes he was ,however no greater than Allen.I know exactly how much allen was milage compensated etc on.Anyone links to limerick should know.So that makes no diff.Allen was on huge money for expenses.

He was in gaelic grounds yest,and had real intent to stay on ,as a meeting in rathkeale a week ago etc resolved that.They still wanted more.Poke the bear too many times,ineviteable he reacted.O grady is a proud man,takes no sh*t.

O grady has everything Limerick needs and he walking away shows what type man ye need
    He has princple,knows right from wrong,wont be a yes man ,and hes in a job ,you let him do it.You play poltics,he walks,at the end of day ,limerick need o grady more he needs them.

Hes reputation is a shrewd coach and can never be taken from him.Limerick repuation(it isnt a dig,just calling it as is)glorified underachievers who will be known more of field than on the field,and With Munster rubgy coming again,any parent with talented youngster where play both in limerick like castletroy etc will go rubgy .Garret fitz ceo Munster always does what is right for Munster.Ye need hes type in the Gaa

Ye have board men in the top table that dont give a monkies about yere fans or the game itself .

Paddy,was spot on Ger Cunninghan, got shafted ,and he was in mallow driving through ,and told he hadnt job,after he was told twas hes job .
    One of the problems was he wouldnt work with tj,again he own man ,wanted hes men .And limerick didnt think he had a high enough profile.

Would Jose Mourinho ,Sir alex work with conditions laid down to them and not having full control and having answer board etc.
    United now got David moyles,a gentleman yes ,but hasnt the balls,characther,stand own two feet,and shouldnt of taken role at united until,sir alex was made clear he had nothing do with the team,or transfers,and he didnt have okay them with him.Moyles said yeah I be yere man.

That is what is now wrong with united,they have a weak characther,and players realise that and heart,hunger,Desire is gone.

Joese,martinez wouldnt go near utd unless they had complete control .
    In a way Fergie would respect moyles more he stood up to him.

It will be Ironic that when o grady went,tj had no problems being made a joke of the board or apolgising if he doesnt go...A man with no honour,conviction,or loyalty to stand by o grady ,when o grady brought him in ist term ,yet Tj ,doesnt do much when o grady needed him.,if Tj doesnt go is how I view it.

If he goes fair play to the man,if he doesnt then hes just as bad as them.You wonder why he is hanging on til after cork game saturday.
    Surely if he was to go ,he would go now .

Tj is a yes man if he stays, what board say ill do despite saying he had problems with them .Those type of men win nothing.From cork we had our fair share and lads ye wont win jack s*it with those managers.

Morgan was shafted exactly in cork 20007 ,as the board hadnt the balls or decency to just get rid him,but played poltical game,they said he couldnt choose hes own selectors,they knew he wouldnt stand for it and walked.Limerick make no mistake knew exactly what they doing with o grady .

Weeks later ,cork allowed pick own selectors.Morgan wanted get rid of as a few board didnt like him.

In every walk of life ,you meet people you may not like,however if they do job you ask them to ,then they should be left alone.Unfortunaltely if you dont bow to top table or your face does not fit ,your there not there cup of tea,despite your talents.
    NO top manager will want to take over now after that.

As whatever happens ,they say it wasnt he fault and blame o grady timing rather look within ,ryan tactially miles of if he stays.

Heart and passion,hit everything that moves ,and when it doesnt you make it move,clincing the jersey,wont be worth jack sh*t ,when clare with davy and cody with cats out manouvre them of Tj stays.
    Cork would beat limerck now.

People are very naive its funny here,o grady posession game was bad for ye.Watch yesterday game tipp even had a sweeper and the reason they won,yes clare were half arsed at the same time.However tipp showed real intent in playing the clare system,it is the only way to beat it .

This traditional,route one ,up the jumper style is meat and drink to Clare as for all dowling and hannon ball winning talents ,they will be crowded by clare swarm defence.Has any limerick fan learned anything from last year shambloic display in the semi???

One of the worst clueless tactial displays I saw(said before game it would happen)allen couldnt change the game.Hit it long ,and clare sweeped up.Then left players go in on there own at half time ,wonderful inept management hardly .That was Malfunctional systematic failure in championship,yet no Board member questioned it had the foresight to lookwithin ,they won a soft Munster ,two home games,14 man cork,took hour beat them.
    Huge problems in team o grady,ryan took over,change style ,that takes time .

Yet allen decided he didnt want a 2nd term ,yet its known he wanted it,he would got it.Would he have to apolgise to the board??for that shambles .If he he had to ,probaly would have.

O grady I met many times ,and you could say he isnt easiest to strike up conversation with,and he would be arrogrant and stubborn.However there Great traits you want in a manager ,like Coday,jose,Jack o Connor etc.And he is a gentleman at the end of the day still but in a resoulte,resilent way.

And o grady always evloves with the game .

Limerick u21 wont do much,beaten out the gate by clare,gone back to old style ,direct game.Clare u21 possesion game will beat them .

Limerick minors yere great hope and could it.However after today,you wouldnt have any real confidence as some limerick man in the board or management ,could think hes better than he actually is,and upset a perfect harmonic peaceful happy camp.

Brian Ryan is manager and be fair has left cregan and wallis take firm control,however its not beyond realms possiblty he wants take over roles he isnt in now,as it seems to be problem ,limerick cant let well alone .

Today wont help yere minors as there is huge huge expectation on them,best team since 84 leader labelled them as already.Now yere the only hope of an all ireland for the next few years.They dont win with Cregan or wallis havent a hope with carey or tom ryan .They wik have a style not suited to there talents with old school ways in ryan and carey .Everything Wallis ,and joe quaid in 2012,taught them goes out the window at u21.

When limerick are beaten in june ,and u21 are out ,huge huge, pressure as the minors are now seen as the saving grace of limerick hurling .

As ye wont have any hope seniors doing good in quailfers.A lot hope ,was limerick seniors could push on.

Now its a lot of expectation that was already there on the minor team.I feel for yere minors.

And of course twould only happen in limerick.Ton ryan is with Intermediates also.Unreal a man that lost club and intercounty all ireland finals as manager is with two teams.

A sad sad day for limerick,and I truly feel geuine fans and if Tj is there for the next two years ,it will be a long long two years for limerick.
    I wouldnt be suprised if dodge ,and a few walked away at the end of the year or before it.

Ye blew away any chance of an all ireland.Tippeary arent any great shakes but could eat ye alive in thurles .What wil happen is a backs to wall display,guts,fire,stomach full of fury and fire ,for 55 minutes then tactially yere beaten then.

Thats yere game then for the season.In the qualifer ye then could loose a game ye should win ,like wexford,or laois could beat ye ,and even offaly .

Ger cunningham must be thanking hes lucky stars now he isnt there.
    Jp ,shouldnt put a dime more in to them,hes pissing money down the drain.

You had the Cunninghan fiasco,then tom ryan fiasco ,and now this,ye have some real real beauties at board level .As by the statement to the leader by Rordain ,two weeks ago ,he cleary done that to provoke o grady.They never apolgoised so its clear as day that media statement was done to force o grady hands .And they were the big men,oh we held the management accountable .

They make cork county board look like angels,that says it a lot .
    A Dissaster waiting to happen the next appoiment .

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Oh ye of little faith.

There is optimism and there is delusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Donal O Grady has disgraced himself. Stay retired FFS.

Now, over to the county board, resign. You lot are a total embarrassment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement