Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair To The USA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Strumms wrote: »
    You haven't got a bulls notion what you are talking about. Pure BS fantasy thread. You speak almost with a degree of arrogance and are completly dimissive of those here with a greater first hand knowledge notion of this business.. Total air of self importance and authority of the airline business but you are clearly ignorant of the workings and requirements of airline operations. I don't think MOL or Mueller will be beating down your door looking for your 'expert fantasy notions' anytime soon.

Thanks;)
    My calculations dont stand for much.
    If you dont care about them then dont read them. Go away and rant somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Thanks;)
    My calculations dont stand for much.
    If you dont care about them then dont read them. Go away and rant somewhere else.

I'll stay here thanks... :D. If you don't like opinions that are not in alignment to yours then don't post on public forums.. Simple really... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Don't forget to factor in your leasing repayments, maintenance reserves, spares holding and support contract, engineering support (those guys don't come cheap) at both ends, crew accommodation, plus you need to factor in your manning levels to allow for annual leave/sickness/training, stores/office accommodation (airside real estate is also pretty expensive), ground handling support, ramp vans, marketing, advertising, web support plus a whole host of other costs you haven't considered.
    Then when you've done all that you can double it because you're going to need (at least) one other aircraft otherwise you'll lose the service if the A/C is grounded for any reason or every time your A/C is on the ground for scheduled maintenance.
    Ask yourself, can you name any airline that operates with only one A/C in it's fleet?
    If you have only one A/C and it goes AOG, you will wipe out your profits in leasing in replacement A/C, putting up stranded pax in hotels and trying to rescue your schedule, if you don't look after your pax your airline won't survive the reputational damage...

^This is as it is... Put more coherently then I might be able to offer, this is the reality of the airline business....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I could sit here all night listing the costs involved in running an airline operation, many of them you'd never have even considered, the list is endless but they all add up. On the other hand it would only take me a few minutes to list the areas of the industry that generate a revenue stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Aeronautical fees, operational fees (Briefings, Charts, AIRAC updates) list goes on and there's a reason why predominantly former flag-carriers or the larger carriers are operating L/H.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And why every LCC longhaul, including ones founded by proven airline operators, has fallen flat on its face with massive losses.

Longhaul can be a graveyard for an airline if they get it wrong. I'm old enough to remember a UK charter operator called Excalibur Airways, they were the first charter operator of A320s and a really successful business delivering full service with a great reputation for quality.
    And then they decided to dip their toes in the Longhaul market....:eek:
    They set up a LH program and started selling seats before they had the A/C properly secured, they leased a couple of ropey old DC10s and started operating to MCO and a couple of Caribbean destinations. The first A/C had a few technical issues and the second was delivered late due to maintenance issues on the pre delivery check so they started Longhaul ops with only one A/C to begin with. They had a few high profile technical delays where they had to sub lease and charter replacement A/C or send their passengers home with other carriers, for a brief period they were all over the news for their delays and cancellations, within a few weeks the whole airline had collapsed. I know a lot of the blame can be but down to mismanagement but a lot of people to this day still say that if they'd stuck to what they were doing they'd still be around. Their product on the shorthaul market was head and shoulders above many of their competitors....

I have seen the amount of figures I need, so If I am to calculate, I need insurance quotes, plane quotes and TBH it's only something I challenged myself to, but its not worth it. From what I have heard, it is better to be safe than sorry. An airline should always have spare aircraft, staff, money and time.
    Anyone remember the direct service from shannon to barbados?
    What airline was that?

I just read on the shannon airport website that during the summer, delta had a 91% load factor on their shannon-jfk route (Figures from around 2010-2012, I forget the exact figures.)
    So if low-cost is possible, it looks like their is a market for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Shannon has been home to many an unfortunate startup- eujet and eirjet both recent examples

Shannon has been home to many an unfortunate startup- eujet and eirjet both recent examples

Eirjet failed mostly due to extreamily unusual and unprofitable.

They owned 3 airbus a320's, they wet leased 3 to ryanair and hired 3 other aircraft off other operators but due to normal delays and stuff they were left with a single plane, but to cover their routes they needed 4. Very smart.

• Advertisement

they were left with a single plane, but to cover their routes they needed 4. Very smart.

Says you who was planning a Transatlantic startup with a single aircraft....

Says you who was planning a Transatlantic startup with a single aircraft....

Well first of all i dont own an airline do i?
    Second of all i wasnt trying to have 4 transatlantic routes with 1 plane.

Ryanair flights were too bloody cheap in 2005.

Paddy: Hi could I have a flight to Bristol?
    Ryanair telephone person: That'll be 66c please?

The shannon flights were free!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Bloody hell where have those days gone. i remember myself and a friend booked 2 tickets for 10 quid return to london. Thats the price of a loaf of milk. today. But in all seriousness prices where mad. i still think i get a bargain at 20 return to gatwick today, vs EI's 74. Its the great thing about FR. Its a bus service and if your willing to pay for a bus service that's exactly what you will get.

Jhcx wrote: »
    Bloody hell where have those days gone. i remember myself and a friend booked 2 tickets for 10 quid return to london. Thats the price of a loaf of milk. today. But in all seriousness prices where mad. i still think i get a bargain at 20 return to gatwick today, vs EI's 74. Its the great thing about FR. Its a bus service and if your willing to pay for a bus service that's exactly what you will get.

But never mind you €40 return from the uk, last month it was shannon-berlin return for €40, thats a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

But never mind you €40 return from the uk, last month it was shannon-berlin return for €40, thats a bargain.

London is home . But one of these days i will venture further a field and make the most of Ryanair.

London is home . But one of these days i will venture further a field and make the most of Ryanair.

Its €52 return now, still cheap though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm fairly certain that's from before they had to advertise tickets inclusive of taxes and charges - meaning not one of those fares is real.

The €3 deal circa 2010 was, however. Last time I flew FR as it was impossible to justify the (otherwise piss cheap) €70 return on EI when I got it for €13 - €3 outbound and €10 inbound - on FR.

edit: well, checking my email it was €3 outbound, €9.99 inbound, €5 checkin and €10 credit card fees so even then it wasn't a "real" fare - but in the days of 66c being quoted as a regular fare they added the travel taxes, airport charges, security fees etc afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ryanair flights were too bloody cheap in 2005.

Paddy: Hi could I have a flight to Bristol?
    Ryanair telephone person: That'll be 66c please?

The shannon flights were free!

I booked 22 flights when they did the 1 cent flights.

I had one of them 3V cards €3 on it and needed rid.

It only cost me 22 cent. I went to Oslo and Glasgow. I didn't know what time to go at so I booked the morning and evening flight.

They were the days, Even if they did bring back 1 cent flights again once you add on the extras is like €20 these days but back then if you got one of them 3v cards it cost nothing.

Aerlingus Fly from heatrow to snn and return flights are usually in excess of €130.
    I could get at least 3 return flights from stansted for that price.

• Advertisement

Someone has been messing with kerry airport on wikipedia, I actually have never laughed so much at the internet before.

The sad thing is, its not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Someone has been messing with kerry airport on wikipedia, I actually have never laughed so much at the internet before.

Actually its funny that you post about it here just after the Wikipedia page was edited and that the culprit of the Wikipedia edit seems to share your lack of capitalisation of place names....strange that.

The sad thing is, its not funny

Finally something we can agree on....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Why would anyone be sad enough to do that? Idiots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

vellakare wrote: »
    sdeire has it right:

Indeed, you forgot the extras. It breaks down like this:

€10 fare
    €50 booking fee
    €199 fuel surcharge
    €5 for the toilet
    €30 for the Wifi
    €10 for a Sambo
    €2 for crisps
    €5 for 300ml of warm beer
    €12.70 for the unauthorised overdraft

My views and some knowledge:

Budget Airlines don't work on journeys of more than 4 hours duration. That really puts a dampener on the Ryanair model. Tony Fernandez of Air Asia attempted to do Kuala Lumpur-Paris and Kuala Lumpur-London. In the process of doing so, he lost RM60 Million per annum per leg (*14 Million Euro).

Ryanair will likely require a new higher grade branding if it wishes to enter the transatlantic market. Steerage is fine for 4 hours or less, but not more.

Thomson have 6 hour flights from Belfast.

relaxed wrote: »
    With flights of just over 6 hours I do 't really see the need for anything better in business than a plush seat with good recline, the first and last hour is usually given over to meal service, using toilet, seat belt on for take off and landing etc., so that only leaves around 4 hours.

I'd say part of the reason airlines are going to flat beds is New York ireland flights are put in the same bucket as us flights to uk, France and Germany which are a stretch longer but all planes get configured the same.

Yes they operate 757s here which go to Europe.

The other day the flight to Newark took 6 hours and 22. While Europe flights took 8 to 9 hours hours so it is quite a bit shorter.

relaxed wrote: »
    Suggest you read your post #102 where you said the high fare passengers just want to get on and get to sleep. It's where you also said the high fare regular passenger makes the flight profitable, not the leisure, special deal passenger.

What makes you think every high fare passenger will want to or be able able to go to sleep at 5 pm when they board a noisy plane with a not particularily comfortable strange bed and their body clock says otherwise?

If the flight leaves at 5pm it arrives here at 3am.

No I would think more like a 9pm departure.

We flew to Stansted for £20. It was comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Or flying from Cork to Dublin return all in for €9.99 (that lasted a year in 2005!), I miss them days also but it was never sustainable unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Or flying from Cork to Dublin return all in for €9.99 (that lasted a year in 2005!), I miss them days also but it was never sustainable unfortunately.

Especially not now days, with the new road.
    The train is only €9.99 anyway. (Brings you into city and less time waiting in terminal, plus luggage is not as strict.)

Advertisement