Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair To The USA

Options
  • 16-04-2014 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭

I am probably not the only one who has read them news stories about the €10 ryanair flights to america.

A thought just occured in my head though, what airports would he fly to?
    Most likely not Boston Logan, JFK or Newark.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I am probably not the only one who has read them news stories about the €10 ryanair flights to america.

A thought just occured in my head though, what airports would he fly to?
    Most likely not Boston Logan, JFK or Newark.

That's all they are; stories. They would very likely have to fly to a major, federal airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

keith16 wrote: »
    That's all they are; stories. They would very likely have to fly to a major, federal airport.

Why would you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Why would you say that?

You couldn't have a flight arriving from outside of the U.S landing in the arse end of knowhere, ya know how the Yanks are about security/immigration etc

scudzilla wrote: »
    You couldn't have a flight arriving from outside of the U.S landing in the arse end of knowhere, ya know how the Yanks are about security/immigration etc

Suppose.
    Ryanair might build their own airport (haha).

Apparently their wont be flights from dublin.
    (Source: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/flights-to-us-will-cost-just-10-on-ryanair-oleary-30041838.html )
    What about shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Suppose.
    Ryanair might build their own airport (haha).

Apparently their wont be flights from dublin.
    (Source: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/flights-to-us-will-cost-just-10-on-ryanair-oleary-30041838.html )
    What about shannon?

What about reading this thread ;)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056132594

• Advertisement

I had read all that, but I couldn't find it so I started a new one:P
    Thanks for finding it though, I recommend for a mod to merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

10 euro flights me ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

SamAK wrote: »
    10 euro flights me ring!

Indeed, you forgot the extras. It breaks down like this:

€10 fare
    €50 booking fee
    €199 fuel surcharge
    €5 for the toilet
    €30 for the Wifi
    €10 for a Sambo
    €2 for crisps
    €5 for 300ml of warm beer
    €12.70 for the unauthorised overdraft

In the uk, their is a large Air Travel tax, opposed to none in ireland.
    If he can't fly from dublin (and presumably from cork), he can't fly from the uk for €10 due to the travel tax, that leaves other parts of europe and shannon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 vellakare

sdeire has it right:

€10 fare
    €50 booking fee
    €199 fuel surcharge
    €5 for the toilet
    €30 for the Wifi
    €10 for a Sambo
    €2 for crisps

My views and some knowledge:

Budget Airlines don't work on journeys of more than 4 hours duration. That really puts a dampener on the Ryanair model. Tony Fernandez of Air Asia attempted to do Kuala Lumpur-Paris and Kuala Lumpur-London. In the process of doing so, he lost RM60 Million per annum per leg (*14 Million Euro).

Ryanair will likely require a new higher grade branding if it wishes to enter the transatlantic market. Steerage is fine for 4 hours or less, but not more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

vellakare wrote: »
    sdeire has it right:

My views and some knowledge:

Budget Airlines don't work on journeys of more than 4 hours duration. That really puts a dampener on the Ryanair model. Tony Fernandez of Air Asia attempted to do Kuala Lumpur-Paris and Kuala Lumpur-London. In the process of doing so, he lost RM60 Million per annum per leg (*14 Million Euro).

Ryanair will likely require a new higher grade branding if it wishes to enter the transatlantic market. Steerage is fine for 4 hours or less, but not more.

Longest budget flight I did was cattle class Aer Lingus to Canaries....just over three hours and the seat nearly fecking killed me.

sdeire wrote: »

€10 fare
    €50 booking fee
    €199 fuel surcharge
    €5 for the toilet
    €30 for the Wifi
    €10 for a Sambo
    €2 for crisps

But if your realistic,

€30 fare (tbh Its like their €9.99 flights, rare to come by)
    €4.50 online check in fee, or admin fee. (Remember, it's one way)
    €50 for a 20kg bag.
    €20 wifi.
    €6 for a sandwich.
    €4 cup of tea
    €3 bottle of water x2
    €2 Mars Bar.
    €10 for 2 magazines

Total
    €132.50

Return
    €265.

Still cheaper than Aer Lingus, I got €374 return for the first time ever this evening! (Source: Shannon- JFK, 5th November-12th November.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He will basically need a new airline. Ryan Atlantic or whatever. The business model for TA is a lifetime away from intra-Europe short-medium haul. Many questions would need to be asked and answered satisfactorily to meet a profitable business model some of which would include...

Would they pay to avail of pre clearance in DUB.

The cost of fuel... Imagine burning 1 tonne plus of fuel during taxi out at JFK before even leaving the runway.

What airports to serve ? Pointless flying somewhere with zero connectivity ie. a New York upstate airport... Nobody wants to commute another 3 hours or whatever after a TA flight they would rather pay extra unlike an intra Europe shorthaul flight which would only be a couple of hours...

Having to provide meals FOC..

Extra crewing...

The airframes... 2nd hand 757s ? 787 ? A350 ?

I'd imagine he might be holding off to see what the Airbus Neo and 737 Max may offer in the range factor before he makes his move if he indeed will..

The competition... I doubt he will have the ability to bully any one of US, EI, Delta, American and United out of DUB to be honest.

Ryanair Atlantic... I doubt we will see it and if we do it's a ways away...

Strumms wrote: »
    He will basically need a new airline. Ryan Atlantic or whatever. The business model for TA is a lifetime away from intra-Europe short-medium haul. Many questions would need to be asked and answered satisfactorily to meet a profitable business model some of which would include...

Would they pay to avail of pre clearance in DUB.

The cost of fuel... Imagine burning 1 tonne plus of fuel during taxi out at JFK before even leaving the runway.

What airports to serve ? Pointless flying somewhere with zero connectivity ie. a New York upstate airport... Nobody wants to commute another 3 hours or whatever after a TA flight they would rather pay extra unlike an intra Europe shorthaul flight which would only be a couple of hours...

Having to provide meals FOC..

Extra crewing...

The airframes... 2nd hand 757s ? 787 ? A350 ?

I'd imagine he might be holding off to see what the Airbus Neo and 737 Max may offer in the range factor before he makes his move if he indeed will..

The competition... I doubt he will have the ability to bully any one of US, EI, Delta, American and United out of DUB to be honest.

Ryanair Atlantic... I doubt we will see it and if we do it's a ways away...

Please read subsequent posts before posting, I have said in 2 posts and citied a source stating that ryanair will.not be flying out of dublin to the us. And remember where pre clearence started, shannon.

Slight element of humour intended in my earlier post seems to have been misplaced but the points we are all making are the same - you will not get from Dublin to NYC on a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Please read subsequent posts before posting, I have said in 2 posts and citied a source stating that ryanair will.not be flying out of dublin to the us. And remember where pre clearence started, shannon.

Please STFU. I did indeed read previous posts. I dont require your say so to include the content which I have posted to as per above. If you don't like the opinions of others then why solicite responses on an Internet forum... Get a grip. :eek:

Slight element of humour intended in my earlier post seems to have been misplaced but the points we are all making are the same - you will not get from Dublin to NYC on a tenner.

People said that about dublin to the uk. It happened. Again, there will be no €10 flights from dublin

People said that about dublin to the uk. It happened. Again, there will be no €10 flights from dublin

It's an awful lot cheaper to fly a 737 to the UK than perhaps a 757 to the USA.

737-800 burns around 5,000kg of fuel on a leg to the UK, about €2,500 in fuel for the trip. 178 seats.
    757-300 burns about 41,000kg over 3,000nm to the US, about €19,000 in fuel costs. 280 seats (less on a -200, albeit with comparatively lower consumption)

Subsidise that to a tenner each times 280 seats max. It doesn't work. (Jet A1 about 54c a litre at the moment - source

It's an awful lot cheaper to fly a 737 to the UK than perhaps a 757 to the USA.

737-800 burns around 5,000kg of fuel on a leg to the UK, about €2,500 in fuel for the trip.

757-300 burns about 41,000kg over 3,000nm to the US, about €19,000 in fuel costs.

Subsidise that to a tenner each times 300 seats max. It doesn't work.

Nope it wont work.
    Neither will €10 on a trip to a uk if you sell every seat at €10.

Im pretty sure he is waiting for the new fuel efficent version of the 737-900.

If you do it at an average of €200 pp per way it subsidides the cost.

Remember business class. Baggage costs. All the optional extras. If you sell 200 seats at €200(average) including business, bags. You get €40,000 then food and drink profits.

Nope it wont work.
    Neither will €10 on a trip to a uk if you sell every seat at €10.

Im pretty sure he is waiting for the new fuel efficent version of the 737-900.

If you do it at an average of €200 pp per way it subsidides the cost.

Remember business class. Baggage costs. All the optional extras. If you sell 200 seats at €200(average) including business, bags. You get €40,000 then food and drink profits.

I'd struggle to see them getting an average of 20 times the cheapest fare though. Most EU flights are advertised at 15-30 and sell for probably 50-80. On average.

Is it possible to increase the variety of available fares on this sort of a route?

Granted all the extras but at the rate we're working out here there'll be about 4 seats per leg sold at €10 and then it has to climb steeply to be economical.

• Advertisement

I'd struggle to see them getting an average of 20 times the cheapest fare though. Most EU flights are advertised at 15-30 and sell for probably 50-80. On average.

Is it possible to increase the variety of available fares on this sort of a route?

Granted all the extras but at the rate we're working out here there'll be about 4 seats per leg sold at €10 and then it has to climb steeply to be economical.

Its hard to calculate but id say its very possible.

All conjecture for now either way :)

If they can pull it off, they will. They're not turning a profit on scratch card sales alone, they're doing closer to everything right than something right. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Classic....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

yup, its been ages since we last saw this thread... it the moon full?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

737-800 burns around 5,000kg of fuel on a leg to the UK, about €2,500 in fuel for the trip. 178 seats.

In all my years working on the 800's, i've never seen a flight to the UK burning 5000kg of fuel, you'd get to Barcelona from Dublin on 5000kg of fuel burn. The heaviest i've ever seen to the UK was London at 2800kg, at the was in very bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

scudzilla wrote: »
    Wouldn't the fact that you go through US Border control in DUB or SNN mean you could do just that?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

flazio wrote: »
    Wouldn't the fact that you go through US Border control in DUB or SNN mean you could do just that?

Yes it would be classed as a US domestic flight.

I personally believe that he wants to do TA flights but he knows that the brand needs to be improved. He has started that process already but it will take time. At the end of the day they can set up a new airline and call it whatever they want but people will know it is backed by the ryanair. The press will also be waiting on anything to go wrong and make it headline news. I would love to see them go for it as however they do it the other airlines will be looking on a little nervously.

I just spent 2 hours doing calculations on starting a new airline.
    It would have 1 plane and would fly from snn to newark daily.

After setting up an office and paying all employees, buying a 757 plane and working out a fuel cost, I earned a profit of 4 million.

Them calculations were made with little experience.

Strumms wrote: »
    Please STFU. I did indeed read previous posts. I dont require your say so to include the content which I have posted to as per above. If you don't like the opinions of others then why solicite responses on an Internet forum... Get a grip. :eek:

Me get a grip? You were stating it would be pointless to fly out of dub due to competition! FFS they won't be so why comment.

Some people :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

I just spent 2 hours doing calculations on starting a new airline.
    It would have 1 plane and would fly from snn to newark daily.

After setting up an office and paying all employees, buying a 757 plane and working out a fuel cost, I earned a profit of 4 million.

Them calculations were made with little experience.

What kind of yields and load factors are you working with?

Are the crew within duty hours for a daily service, and how many crew are you looking at employing?

Are you taking CVs?

Advertisement