Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very silly about Austin but I'd guess the "Health and safety won't allow them to work in the garages" thing is just a bargaining chip. I mean if you look at the size difference between the current garages they'd have to make the garages to the same scale as the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too for it to actually be too small for the teams to work in.

What good are garages if the cars can't even fit into them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Didn't think Kimi was one for marketing bullshit.

OSI wrote: »
    Remember, this is the land of litigation they're talk about though. They're probably worried someone will trip, break a nail and sue them for millions.

It would greatly affect your confidence, sure you'd be afraid to ever leave your home again & working would be a life long trauma

Bloody colonists :D

OSI wrote: »
    Remember, this is the land of litigation they're talk about though. They're probably worried someone will trip, break a nail and sue them for millions.

TBH it just sounds like some last-minute fumbling about something or other. If thereis actually a H+S issue the track/promoters/Bernie will just be arguing over who'll underwrite anything. Or it's a smokescreen for a far bigger issue. :pac:

I'd say there's too much invested at this stage for a screw up to happen, they'll simply work/negotiate around it. For F1 America, this race needs to happen, needs to go without a hitch, & needs to be good. There's too much at stake to faff about risking it over pit garages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

TBH it just sounds like some last-minute fumbling about something or other. If thereis actually a H+S issue the track/promoters/Bernie will just be arguing over who'll underwrite anything. Or it's a smokescreen for a far bigger issue. :pac:

Smoke screen to cover something bigger OR they just pick anything so that media has something to speak about. You bring things like this to public and it's buzz and related web sites boom of clicks.. every click 2 cents or so.

Proly the same story with that Kimi video.

All this what you and me are talking about and googleing related stuff, it could easily be just small trick for possibly successful marketing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

EnterNow wrote: »
    Isn't Kimi confirmed for Lotus for next season??
    freestyla wrote: »
    Not.

His birthday is 17.10. and looks like some kind of contract announcement will happen then.
    vectra wrote: »
    No,
    But Eric has said he feels that he will have the same lineup next season.

He signed a 2 year contract with them last year to race this season and next season, unless I'm mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

From Speed TV:
    Kimi Raikkonen has kept rumors about his plans for 2013 alive by insisting he is yet to agree to stay at Lotus.

Team chiefs Eric Boullier and Gerard Lopez have recently said the 2007 World Champion is definitely staying in 2013, due to a contract option.

At the same time, there have been signs that Lotus is an active player in the 2013 'silly season.'

And Raikkonen is now quoted by Turun Sanomat newspaper in Japan: "I don't have any agreement for next season yet."

The monosyllabic Finn was willing to give much less away about his rival's plans, including Lewis Hamilton's switch to Mercedes, and the loss of Michael Schumacher's seat.

"That has nothing to do with me and that's why I don't want to comment on anything like that which is not related to me," Raikkonen insisted.

I think he should stay where he is.

He signed a 2 year contract with them last year to race this season and next season, unless I'm mistaken?

Has a performance related option for the 2nd year.

IMO he will stay at Lotus 95% but I don't know really if possible that he got a contract from another team already and now he is waiting Japan and Korea to see whether Lotus car updates are working or not before final decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Rascasse wrote: »

I was thinking that story was bull as a google search only brought you back to Will Buxton.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

That video does hint at some kind of mysterious announcement though doesn't it? Surely not Ferrari?

He would hardly be happy playing second fiddle to Alonso :confused:

vectra wrote: »
    He would hardly be happy playing second fiddle to Alonso :confused:

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Was surprised to see anything about the garages seeing as the track as been passed by Charlie Whiting. Good to see its just a bit of confusion. There's a lot of excitement about the race in the US so it should be a great weekend. When I was working in Texas last year everyone was really keen to talk to me about F1 and they really seemed to have been sucked in by having the race in their home state. The tracks seems really good on the F1 game and have chatted with some of the people involved with the construction last year it seems that a lot of boxes were ticked to make sure that it would be used in a lot of other series.

The World Endurace Championship, MotoGP, American Superbikes are all due there next season and hopefully Indy Car will go there in the near future. Should be a great weekend and a potential long term venue for US racing.
    In relation to Kimi I was talking to people from Lotus when I was at Monaco and again in Singapore and Kimi apparently has performance clauses for next year that if Lotus meet them that he is gauranted to race for them. If they dont meet the requirements he has the option to race for them.

So it's highly unlikely that he wont be racing for them next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭lolie

Was looking for a live timing app for my Nokia phone for a while and found an unofficial one last week that seems to work good.
    I'll leave the link here for anyone that wants to check it out.

http://f1lt.zxq.net/index.php?id=2

There's also an app for the computer and one for android phones in the link.
    Screenshot of the computer app that imo looks better than the java applet on the formula1.com site.

screen15.png

frostie500 wrote: »
    The World Endurace Championship, MotoGP, American Superbikes are all due there next season and hopefully Indy Car will go there in the near future. Should be a great weekend and a potential long term venue for US racing.

Can't see IndyCar going there, they already have the Texas Motor Speedway race and are looking for a street race there too. Also I don't know how George and Ecclestone are getting along these days but I doubt it'll ever end up in co-operation between the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Also I don't know how George and Ecclestone are getting along these days but I doubt it'll ever end up in co-operation between the series.

Tony George hasn't been in charge since 2009.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Tony George hasn't been in charge since 2009.

Still pretty much owns it no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Still pretty much owns it no?

He's on the board of Hulman an Co., but not in a primary role. He can't really call any shots with IndyCar, most of the stuff he did before now comes down to Randy Bernard.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    He's on the board of Hulman an Co., but not in a primary role. He can't really call any shots with IndyCar, most of the stuff he did before now comes down to Randy Bernard.

In much of the series running, pretty sure any threat to do with the 500 and he'd get what he wants.

• Advertisement

I don't see it as a good result in terms of making the championship exciting. I think RB have moved too far ahead of Ferrari now in terms of development, & Vettel will sail away with it from here on out.

It would have been good if Alonso was being slowly hunted down by Vettel, but after this result they're essentially on level terms with five races to go. Vettel will walk with it from here & any excitement left for a title race I fear was lost today.

Unfortunate result for Alonso. Also unfortunate for Webber, I think Grosjean although at times can be unlucky, is causing far too many accidents...consequently always playing into the hands of Vettel {most stuff does play into his hands in fairness}. Took out Hamilton recently, took out Alonso today...ridiculous stuff.

Webber still drove well to get into the points, and honorable mention to Schumacher too to get up to 11th.

As I feared though, a complete snore fest, & a tyre babysitting exercise. Gutted now about the championship battle

Right thread? :pac: Yeah barring reliability issues I'd be surprised if Vettel doesn't win with a race in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Grosjean a "first lap nutcase" and "needs another holiday" according to Webber.

Webber very dejected in the Sky interview. I completely agree with him about Grosjean, a 'first lap nutcase'. Webber has been around the block a few times, it's rare in fairness he makes mistakes & when he does he holds his hands up. I'd take his word for it over anyone elses

I forgot to mention Massa :o Delighted for him, maybe it's too little too late, but being on the podium could waken up him somewhat & we might see a different Massa for the remaining races

Right thread? :pac:

Yep :o Blame bleary eyed early morning F1 fanaticism :D

I still maintain DRS, as its sold as purely an aid to overtaking, should not be allowed during qualifying.

I still maintain DRS, as its sold as purely an aid to overtaking, should not be allowed during qualifying.

+1

Now we see it when Adrian Newey got his double DRS implemented, Redbull cars were flying today in Suzuka. Oh and they getting whole lot more updates in the next race Korea.. booring

freestyla wrote: »
    +1

Now we see it when Adrian Newey got his double DRS implemented, Redbull cars were flying today in Suzuka. Oh and they getting whole lot more updates in the next race Korea.. booring

I'm just basing it off the fact that an overtaking aid, should not have any bearing on quali seeing as there is no overtaking to be done, & benefits certain cars a lot especially in places where you can't even use the system on race day. Its ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

The lack of punishment consistency in Formula 1 is catasprophic. Schumacher gets a 10 place grid penalty (which took into account his previous shunt with Senna earlier in the year) for rear ending Vergne.

Grosjean rear ends Webber and gets a 10 second stop and go. Simply silly. Yes, Michael didn't remain in the race after his shunt two weeks ago but the difference in the sanctions is extreme.

Advertisement