Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just be honest with yourself. You're not a Catholic. That's ok.

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

To reiterate my initial point, this is a separate matter from how people choose to identify themselves and those who feel strongly regarding the influence of religion on state policy should contact their local politicians and the ministers in charge of drafting policy to make sure their views are heard.

All of that well said but unfortunately, it is not a separate matter. It should be, but it is the reason that the politicians in a small country like ours are so against tackling the influence of religion on state policy. While it still looks like 85% of the country are happy to let the Bishops speak for them on school ethos matters (for example), the politicians won't touch it with a barge-pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I got my kids baptised simply as it would cut out the hassle of trying to find a school for the. Of course I could have made a stand, been in the local press, been on radio, but in the end I might well have ended up having to drive my kids an hour to school in the morning.

I hate the fact that the church has so much influence on this country, from tourists not being able to get a glass of wine with a meal on Good Friday, to me being forced to baptise kids to get them schooled. I really think the day can't come soon enough when all this is history. But for now, we are stuck with it.

Having said that, I will certainly not be pushing any religion down the throats of my children. If they have no interest in it, that's fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

NIMAN wrote: »
    I got my kids baptised simply as it would cut out the hassle of trying to find a school for the. Of course I could have made a stand, been in the local press, been on radio, but in the end I might well have ended up having to drive my kids an hour to school in the morning.

I hate the fact that the church has so much influence on this country, from tourists not being able to get a glass of wine with a meal on Good Friday, to me being forced to baptise kids to get them schooled. I really think the day can't come soon enough when all this is history. But for now, we are stuck with it.

Having said that, I will certainly not be pushing any religion down the throats of my children. If they have no interest in it, that's fine by me.

Will they be making FHC and confirmation?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Probably, as much to satisfy other people and not me.

My logic is though, once they are young teens, or whatever age they decide at, they can be believers or not. They won't find any arguments from me.

As long as they turn out to be good, compassionate people, I'll be happy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One comment sums it all up really:
    a lot of irish people would say they’re catholic in the census, but would not consider themselves to be ‘a religious person’.

Just like I call myself a stamp collector even though I only use stamps to send mail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

seamus wrote: »
    that was me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭swampgas

seamus wrote: »
    Just like I call myself a stamp collector even though I only use stamps to send mail.

I was listening to a random podcast about Buddhism/psychology/mindfulness in the car this week, and one of the items that came up was what is called the "stickiness" of ideas. From what I gathered, it is believed that many ideas can be tightly connected to one's sense of self-identity, regardless of how true or otherwise those ideas are. People are very slow to give up the Catholic label, regardless of their actual religious beliefs, simply because the idea that they are Catholic is deeply embedded (usually from childhood) in their sense of self-identlty.

It's a bit like people finding out that their ancestors were actually very different to what they believed, for example a black woman discovering that her ancestors were not slaves but slave owners, or a proud Scot discovering that his ancestors are actually Irish, not Scottish. The reality of who they are hasn't changed at all, but their idea of who they are gets turned upside-down.

I imagine this phenomenon applies to cultural religious identity in general, and with Irish cultural Catholicism specifically.

IMO the real problem here is with the census. The way the religion question is constructed is seriously out of sync with the way religious belief, practice and identity has evolved in Ireland. Personally I'd prefer to see the religion question dropped completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

"The dominant belief here is individualistic liberal consumerism. What is worrying is how many believe they are more sophisticated being non religious and yet have no set of values to guide them except the joneses and the market."

Hmm, this comment sounds like something a thesaurus loving boardsie would write.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is it the Boards' own Dunnes Stores own-brand John Waters or the on/off troll with the mis-spelt name you're talking about? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

swampgas wrote: »
    Personally I'd prefer to see the religion question dropped completely.

Nah, it'll be fun to watch the dramatic drop-off in years to come.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Its all seems harmless enough for a person to 'identify' themselves as a Catholic even when they don't give the religion any thought (or even if they don't believe in some of the central tenets of the church) - thats their business.

However, the ticking of the catholic box in the census is not a trivial thing. It affects everyone. It gives those with a 'catholic agenda' some credibility when claiming that this is still a catholic country. It allows them to justify having over 90% of schools to remain as religious so the indoctrination of children can continue.
    I hope people give some thought to the next census and tick the 'no religion' box as it might bring about progressive changes in our education system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Bduffman wrote: »
    Its all seems harmless enough for a person to 'identify' themselves as a Catholic even when they don't give the religion any thought (or even if they don't believe in some of the central tenets of the church) - thats their business.

However, the ticking of the catholic box in the census is not a trivial thing. It affects everyone. It gives those with a 'catholic agenda' some credibility when claiming that this is still a catholic country. It allows them to justify having over 90% of schools to remain as religious so the indoctrination of children can continue.
    I hope people give some thought to the next census and tick the 'no religion' box as it might bring about progressive changes in our education system.

Spot on and I think religion has no place in education, especially specific doctrine like catholicism or whatever, it's a disgrace that over 90% of our schools are still catholic run but as you say it will never change until we stop erroneously labeling ourselves catholic.

Personally I haven't identified myself as catholic since I was about 15, that's 12 years ago, not because I didn't go to mass regularly or anything like that but because I stopped believing in god around about then so it would be ridiculous to call myself catholic.

But most people I know still identify themselves as catholic, even though they don't go to mass, they've never read the bible and they don't agree with most of the churches staunchly conservative positions, it's incredible stuff really.

If people choose to believe in a God or whatever then ok, now personally I don't and I don't even find it interesting but I have to laugh when people call themselves catholic or protestant or jewish or whatever, I mean are you really?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

I think how you identify yourself your own personal choice and you shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone.
    I agree with your opinion on baptisms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

The OP's thread is exactly why I dislike atheism. Not all atheists mind you, but it's hard not to feel some resentment to attitudes like the OP's.

Why, all he is doing is pointing out the utter hypocritical nature of calling yourself a catholic when you believe nothing of what you are supposed to.

Frankly you'd be better off disliking religious organisations, because they, unlike atheism, want to force you to accept their rules and their strictures even when you don't believe in them. They are far more restrictive of your freedoms than any atheist movement ever will be or could be.

I genuinely believe most atheists are much worse than devouts of any religion.

And how do you come by this unevidenced belief?
    Shenshen wrote: »
    I am German, and I have.
    However, I'm given to understand that if you were baptised in Ireland, you no longer have the option to opt-out. The church decided to not accept your letter of defection any more a few years back.

The church removed the rule from canon law. So that means that nobody in the world who was ever baptised in the catholic fashion (even against their will, it is allowable to do so) can quit from being a catholic in the eyes of the church.

Shenshen wrote: »
    The 10 commandments?

Let's see :

1) I am the Lord thy God Thou shalt have no other gods before me

Oh, and this one also says that there are more gods than yhwh, thus betraying the henotheistic nature of early Judaism.

Advertisement