Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

What were you getting locally? How far did they travel and how far would it be locally. What was transport cost and how much love locally

well thats off a local agent,factory would be around 45 miles away,usually 15 to 16 euro a head haulage when sending a full load,i have to try a few local factorys yet,4 10 is easily got anyway and i dont know how far the cattle went as he deals with a few places

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Does anyone know any factories killing under 16 mth bulls and paying on the grid?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Does anyone know any factories killing under 16 mth bulls and paying on the grid?

AFAIK abp do, but I don't have those sort of cattle. Possibly dawn as well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Dawn every Thursday I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Night Nav

Watergrasshill yesterday €4.00

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Have you tried Liffey meats?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

primary 2 wrote: »
    well thats off a local agent,factory would be around 45 miles away,usually 15 to 16 euro a head haulage when sending a full load,i have to try a few local factorys yet,4 10 is easily got anyway and i dont know how far the cattle went as he deals with a few places

Travelling a distance for an extra 5c is losing money imo. If they kill 1% less that is 4c/kg. Locally transport costs 6-7/head if it costs another 10 to travel then at 330kgs DW that is 3c/kg. 3=4=7c/kg it adds up fast

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Bob always maintained it was better to stay local if only 5-10c in it. Transport cost and also they will lose a bit of condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anyone hear of quotes north of 4.15 steers, 4.25 heifers for next week?

• Advertisement

Travelling a distance for an extra 5c is losing money imo. If they kill 1% less that is 4c/kg. Locally transport costs 6-7/head if it costs another 10 to travel then at 330kgs DW that is 3c/kg. 3=4=7c/kg it adds up fast

you have to look at every thing when selling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

you have to look at every thing when selling

Yes I think a lot of lads travel with cattle for no extra money. I have had this out with agents all the time. On the other hand if an agent gave me a good price to travel (15+c/kg) I expect local factory to come mabk to that price or within a few cent before I would deal.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Anyone hear of quotes north of 4.15 steers, 4.25 heifers for next week?

have you more to sell?did you hear that they are ment to rise another bit?

have you more to sell?did you hear that they are ment to rise another bit?

According to agent they'll not rise much more. I'd say 4.30 could be got for underage heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Any prices for heavy b&w cows? Offered 3.30 in dawn grannagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

I cant understand how cow beef is a full euro a kg below heifers. and if you count the sterling/euro exchange rate difference since last nov/dec, the cow price has actually fallen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Nettleman wrote: »
    I cant understand how cow beef is a full euro a kg below heifers. and if you count the sterling/euro exchange rate difference since last nov/dec, the cow price has actually fallen

Are all cattle prices not the same as this time last year even or worse if you count the sterling/euro exchange rate difference, and we all thought they were a bad price then

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

we should be thanking Mr Draigi and his QE announcement for increase in cattle prices-makes sence I suppose !!

Cavanjack wrote: »
    According to agent they'll not rise much more. I'd say 4.30 could be got for underage heifers.

what do you hope to get for your stees?

what do you hope to get for your stees?

Hoping I might get 4.20 but might not happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

There be a lot of dairy farmers unloading 20 to 24 mth stock at the moment to free up sheds and labour for calving.

They do the same every year and can often bit softish sellers.

This will stall the price rise for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

3:20kg 34 month old stock bull,
    Graded R++1 €1240

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Night Nav

Dunbia Slane suppose to be good for cows

3.50 for small nos of heavy O grade continental cows was easy got this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭eoinmk2

anybody have an estimate of what price we'd get for 24 month old friesian bulls at the moment, o- to o= ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Jb1989

eoinmk2 wrote: »
    anybody have an estimate of what price we'd get for 24 month old friesian bulls at the moment, o- to o= ?

Clones ABP. O 4.00 r 4.10
    That's under 24 not over

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Clones ABP. O 4.00 r 4.10
    That's under 24 not over

Bulls!! Hardly?? I hope you are right!!

Bulls!! Hardly?? I hope you are right!!

At least 4.10 for U's and 4.00 for R's under 24 months to be got anyway.

Yes I think a lot of lads travel with cattle for no extra money. I have had this out with agents all the time. On the other hand if an agent gave me a good price to travel (15+c/kg) I expect local factory to come mabk to that price or within a few cent before I would deal.

so if my cattle kill out at 53 percent,they would be around 780 to 790 kgs,i am getting 4 15 45 miles away and if i got 4 10 locally around 12 miles away and the haulage was 8 euro a head instead of 16 where would that leave me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

so if my cattle kill out at 53 percent,they would be around 780 to 790 kgs,i am getting 4 15 45 miles away and if i got 4 10 locally around 12 miles away and the haulage was 8 euro a head instead of 16 where would that leave me?

With nearly enough money to buy your own calculator

I would say you are losing 5kgs meat €21+€8
    To gain 400*0.05=€20
    But think bigger picture do you want to sent message to local factory?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement