Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Willfarman wrote: »
    Did you get a flat price?

Very hard to get a flat price off local factory got 4.1 of a base the big nearly 4 year old was 4+ so 30c off the base was hard to see 4+ on him rest of them were 3's and 4-

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I hope it's a sign of things to come but you'd have to wonder is it down to backlash from the low prices all along, what with guys not finishing young bulls and all that. There's simple a shortage of finished animals.
    You'd like to think it is a sign of things to come in the longterm. Fingers crossed.

There's lads who got roasted finishing cattle last year, any of them that are still feeding cattle this winter are holding on to cattle.

First reason is replacements are expensive.
    Secondly the boot is on the other foot this year.
    Thirdly they are forcing the factories to clear out their own feedlots.
    And fourthly, some ppl still have merchant bills from last year still to clear so this year's cattle will have to pay 2 lots of bills.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Very hard to get a flat price off local factory got 4.1 of a base the big nearly 4 year old was 4+ so 30c off the base was hard to see 4+ on him rest of them were 3's and 4-

Ah he must of been in good order. He come into 1700? How long did you have him and what he cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Will lads outbid the exporters for calves this year, now that beef is rising.

If they do we could have a waiting list to get cattle killed in 2017 again.

Thoughts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

mf240 wrote: »

Thoughts??

I think the brain boxes will out bid the exporters agen and think they are grate lads with all the cheep calves agen.
    Shoot or export a certen % imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Shoot or export a certen % imo

The brain boxes or the calves? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Thoughts??
    That's what I was thinking.
    Would like to see some some sort of contract between dairy lads and exporters. Flat price agreed and then collected straight out of yard.
    But then again to many problems would occur

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Thoughts??

Well they are saying a lot of dairy lads keeping calves to use up some milk, and they should be coming out in April. If they are too strong then for exporters we will have same problem again in two years I'd say. Please god the exporters will take them. Don't lads have very short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Think the beef men should do their bit for the dairy men this year (seeing that milk price is heading south) and pay well for sucks. They would do the same :)

Willfarman wrote: »
    Ah he must of been in good order. He come into 1700? How long did you have him and what he cost?

Came in with a bunch of bullocks two years ago. He was a June calf and about 17 months at the time around 300kgs. His companions all got slaughtered the following summer they were a mixed bag at two JeX crosses( they were 430ishkgs) and two other good FR9380kgs). They cost less than 500 each dropped in the yard. The jex's were slaughtered the following June and the Fr at the end of the year.

Would have slaughtered him in June but price was brutal reckon at the time he have struggled to get muckh with3/kg after all penelty and lower bases. He came into 1678 euro. Would have valued him at less than 400 euro at the time I bought him. Did he pay me he was around a long time but some lump of money for him. I find with them sort of cattle you get penalised too much when you rush them out. Luck the weight issue is at bay for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

the heifer kill for last year was 56,000 (15%) up on 2013, is this whats driving hot trade in heifers, theres also big prices for incalf heifers. Replacements are going to be expensive for grass only men like AP2014!!!! Have we killed off too many future beef cows??, making replacements expensive-short term gain, long term loss??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Nettleman wrote: »
    the heifer kill for last year was 56,000 (15%) up on 2013, is this whats driving hot trade in heifers, theres also big prices for incalf heifers. Replacements are going to be expensive for grass only men like AP2014!!!!

They were ridiculous expensive last spring relative to what the factories were at so twont be any harder find a margin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

was talking to an agent from dawn last night 4 10 steers 4 20 heifers, age not a factor,he said no reason why they wont stay rising for the few weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Nettleman wrote: »
    the heifer kill for last year was 56,000 (15%) up on 2013, is this whats driving hot trade in heifers, theres also big prices for incalf heifers. Replacements are going to be expensive for grass only men like AP2014!!!! Have we killed off too many future beef cows??, making replacements expensive-short term gain, long term loss??

I might have to buy in earlier than usual to avoid the inevitable bubble. Have a feeling with the mild winter we had it could be a dodgy Feb/Mar. Could be a disaster for pneumonia which I don't vaccinate for. May pay to buy early and vaccinate for it this year though.

If I have to pay over the odds I will cut back on numbers and sell some more bales. Lads looking for silage already, increased prices seems to be creating abit of a buzz. Although stores were a great trade last year and with reduced numbers hopefully they will hold up this year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

AP2014 wrote: »
    I might have to buy in earlier than usual to avoid the inevitable bubble. Have a feeling with the mild winter we had it could be a dodgy Feb/Mar. Could be a disaster for pneumonia which I don't vaccinate for. May pay to buy early and vaccinate for it this year though.

If I have to pay over the odds I will cut back on numbers and sell some more bales. Lads looking for silage already, increased prices seems to be creating abit of a buzz. Although stores were a great trade last year and with reduced numbers hopefully they will hold up this year as well.

What part of the country are u in ?

Silage very hard to sell around here at the moment!

Also local Dawn agent was telling neighbour yesterday that cattle will be sub 3.80 base next Autum:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

ellewood wrote: »
    What part of the country are u in ?

Silage very hard to sell around here at the moment!

Also local Dawn agent was telling neighbour yesterday that cattle will be sub 3.80 base next Autum:rolleyes:

Out west, he wasn't looking for it now but to take it in the summer time. Regular customer may not be taken it this year as he has his place sorted out, reseeding etc. So good to have a new guy, he took some last year signed a cheque that week.

They were 3.80 last November and stores where a great trade. :rolleyes: So hard to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭orm0nd

primary 2 wrote: »
    what base price are slaney giving for steers could you find out and do they penalise overage cattle?have some hex to go myself

was talking to him earlier , he didn't know says he always sells flat,

he hasn't the kill sheets yet, but got some weights, he had a couple of bullocks that made over €1800, expects the double to average over 1500,

they paid him well by not finishing off grass last November

orm0nd wrote: »

he hasn't the kill sheets yet, but got some weights, he had a couple of bullocks that made over €1800, expects the double to average over 1500,

he did very well by holding on to them so

orm0nd wrote: »

In general lads that held forward cattle and selling finished now are doing well. The base is up 50c/kg and more for over 30 month cattle. Most of these type of cattle would be killing well over 350kgs so on weight along it would be 175 euro. If you gained a unit on the grid it is 6/kg or over 20 euro. Some may have lost QA at 12c/kg however weight gain would cover most of your even with Friesians.

The real losers are the lads that threw in young cattle last November under finished. Heard of lads that got 7-900 euro for storish cattle that if fed might be making 1300 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

In general lads that held forward cattle and selling finished now are doing well. The base is up 50c/kg and more for over 30 month cattle. Most of these type of cattle would be killing well over 350kgs so on weight along it would be 175 euro. If you gained a unit on the grid it is 6/kg or over 20 euro. Some may have lost QA at 12c/kg however weight gain would cover most of your even with Friesians.

The real losers are the lads that threw in young cattle last November under finished. Heard of lads that got 7-900 euro for storish cattle that if fed might be making 1300 now.

700-900? That's sick money for store bullocks etc. I had a cow on load in December only come into 760 and I was disgusted, I reckon she may have been in calf as she wasn't a small cow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Anyone hear anything about cattle for next week
    The €4:25 seems to have dried up and talks of a pull for next week.

simx wrote: »
    700-900? That's sick money for store bullocks etc. I had a cow on load in December only come into 760 and I was disgusted, I reckon she may have been in calf as she wasn't a small cow

If you kill under finished cattle off grass that have not been fed they can slip into FS2- processors really hit these cattle hard. They will also fail to grade maybe back 2 points on grid off normal grading. Heard of a lad that killed a very storish friesian and only got the lower number ans similar with a lad with a poorly fleshed heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The factories wouldn't be long schooling a lad on grading that's for sure:)

i was just looking at the factory prices on the ifa website,would these be the common prices or would they be more on the dear side of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

i was just looking at the factory prices on the ifa website,would these be the common prices or would they be more on the dear side of things?

They're always on the higher end of the scale imo

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

Duke92 wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about cattle for next week
    The €4:25 seems to have dried up and talks of a pull for next week.
    that was always a great stunt by factories when cattle seemed to be drying up. pull price a little and everyone gets scared that the turn has come and they wont stop going down

got a quote of 4 15 for overage steers,a neighbour sent heifers yesterday got 4 30, they were in spec though

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Where was the €4.30 for the heifers.

Duke92 wrote: »
    Where was the €4.30 for the heifers.

not sure,the agent he dealt with buys for a few places,he sent steers and heifers and best he could get was 4 15 for the steers but he done well with the heifers he said he got 4 30,if i meet him in the next few days i will ask him and let you know,i think they went to the midlands though

• Advertisement

not sure,the agent he dealt with buys for a few places,he sent steers and heifers and best he could get was 4 15 for the steers but he done well with the heifers he said he got 4 30,if i meet him in the next few days i will ask him and let you know,i think they went to the midlands though

What were you getting locally? How far did they travel and how far would it be locally. What was transport cost and how much love locally

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement