Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I have heard that Snapchat sends it crazy. I find it crashing after I've sent a few snapchats. It's a bit ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I have heard that Snapchat sends it crazy. I find it crashing after I've sent a few snapchats. It's a bit ****e.

Don't have Snapchat either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Did the 5.01 update last night and its still a bit of a disaster. This must be the worst Android update by far.

Lock screen not working with ‘swipe to unlock’
    SIM lock pin code entry on reboot is only half working (if I don’t catch it straight after reboot then the option of entering the code for SIM card disappears)
    Phone is getting very hot with minimal usage
    Video playback is still iffy
    Losing of WiFi connectivity for no apparent reason
    When a call comes in screen turns on for 10-12 seconds and then turns off again meaning I have to use power button to activate screen and accept call
    Screen will not turn on after removing from ear during call (proximity sensor issue I presume)

There are probably more issues but I won’t see them until I use the phone a bit more over the next few days

In general the design and layout of Lollipop is all a bit meh. I really am not a fan of what they have done with pastel colours and some of the design changes (no silent mode, dialler is shocking, no notifications scroll across top of screen etc etc) I am even thinking of jumping ship on Stock Android and going down the custom ROM route or somehow getting myself back to 4.4.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Did the 5.01 update last night and its still a bit of a disaster. This must be the worst Android update by far.

SIM lock pin code entry on reboot is only half working (if I don’t catch it straight after reboot then the option of entering the code for SIM card disappears)
    When a call comes in screen turns on for 10-12 seconds and then turns off again meaning I have to use power button to activate screen and accept call
    Screen will not turn on after removing from ear during call (proximity sensor issue I presume)

There are probably more issues but I won’t see them until I use the phone a bit more over the next few days

In general the design and layout of Lollipop is all a bit meh. I really am not a fan of what they have done with pastel colours and some of the design changes (no silent mode, dialler is shocking, no notifications scroll across top of screen etc etc) I am even thinking of jumping ship on Stock Android and going down the custom ROM route or somehow getting myself back to 4.4.4

Did you factory reset, I have no issues but I did a wipe install from factory image. My missis is having issues but she upgraded

Did you factory reset, I have no issues but I did a wipe install from factory image. My missis is having issues but she upgraded

Did a factory reset when going from 4.4.4 to 5.0. Made no difference then so I might do a full restore from factory images.
    Not sure how hard it is to do that but will try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Did a factory reset when going from 4.4.4 to 5.0. Made no difference then so I might do a full restore from factory images.
    Not sure how hard it is to do that but will try.

It's v easy, you just need unlock the bootloader which will wipe. Leave the bootloader unlocked will make it easier if you want to root. When done boot to recovery and clear the cache. Google for instructions

I updated and lost airplane mode and the following day I was getting a plane. A pain but it seems to be back now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Installed Whatsapp for the first time. Simultaneously I received a Viber message and my phone went into some sort of weird loop - flashing/flickering between Viber, WhatsApp and the lock screen. Seemed a bit mad, but righted itself after about 25 seconds.

This may have been asked but how hot is too hot for the battery? I have an app that tells me the temperature and I usually turn on flight mode at about 37/38° to let it cool down.

Am I being overprotective? Can it withstand higher temperatures? Any long-term effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Was getting a lot of battery drain on lollipop. phone would get very hot if i used any kind of data connection (browsing, email etc) on 3g (no as much on wifi). tried fresh install, factory reset, back to 4.4.4 the ota update. still massive battery drain.
    Have now installed the LiquidSmooth rom , and the battery life is much much better. its based on kitkat, but am very happy with it compared to stock. There are several lollipop based roms which may solve issues above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭red bellied

Is there a way you can view your sent webtexts on the nexus 4? When I was on kitkat they showed up in the swiftsms app but since the new lollipop upgrade they are not displayed anymore.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Anyone else experience the Sleep of Death bug? Last weekend my N4 appeared to power down all by itself. It took an age for it to restart (holding the power button). It happened on both days but I didn't notice because weekend. I had started messing with Tasker around then so I disabled it. It's been fine since but a good few apps have been updated since then.

Other than that and a recent move from 3 to Meteor (oh my god it's full of 3g!) Lolipop has been great for me. The network move has significantly improved my battery life too. As you can see my phone spent most of its time hunting for a signal.
    336226.png

5uspect wrote: »
    Anyone else experience the Sleep of Death bug? Last weekend my N4 appeared to power down all by itself. It took an age for it to restart (holding the power button).

This happened me also last night. about 30% battery left and I was just browsing Boards.ie and the phone shut down without warning. Not using it heavily at all and nothing really running in the background other than the normal stuff. It took about 30 seconds of holding the power button before it would switch on again.
    This happened a few times pre Lollipop also.
    Overall I find Lollipop to be only average. Some things are great but there are a few niggly issues and I find the design and general feel and usability to be very average.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭Raoul

That has happened me too. Out of nowhere the battery percentage just dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭lynchie

5uspect wrote: »
    Anyone else experience the Sleep of Death bug?

Been getting it on and off since 4.4.3 on 3 different N4 devices. It has been better since moving to L. Have only had it once since upgrade. Though it is a pain when it happens during the night as your alarm wont go off. Have been using safe charge when plugged in at night to stop is sleeping but on one occasion it didnt help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Is there a way you can view your sent webtexts on the nexus 4? When I was on kitkat they showed up in the swiftsms app but since the new lollipop upgrade they are not displayed anymore.

Lollipop introduced a new security restriction on apps that are allowed to modify write permissions for SMS, so if you do a factory reset SwiftSMS can't give itself the write permission it needs to save your sent SMS's.

There is a workaround if you have a rooted phone using AppOps Root to manually enable write permission for SwiftSMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭red bellied

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Lollipop introduced a new security restriction on apps that are allowed to modify write permissions for SMS, so if you do a factory reset SwiftSMS can't give itself the write permission it needs to save your sent SMS's.

There is a workaround if you have a rooted phone using AppOps Root to manually enable write permission for SwiftSMS.

Just seen this post now, thanks. Phone was rooted so I could use the app, thanks again.

My phone has gone to ****e in the last few weeks. I haven't changed anything. If anything, I reckon it has to do with updating to Lollipop. It's fancy but it has been as slow as anything since the update.

I'm nearly at the point of getting a new phone.

Can I do anything to bide me over for a few more months?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

My phone has gone to ****e in the last few weeks. I haven't changed anything. If anything, I reckon it has to do with updating to Lollipop. It's fancy but it has been as slow as anything since the update.

I'm nearly at the point of getting a new phone.

Can I do anything to bide me over for a few more months?

Go back to Kitkat?

Nexus root toolkit should be able to do it for you

Maybe just reinstall lollipop using the nexus toolkit.

I bought a screen off ebay and fixed my nexus 4 screen. Cost me 50 euro. The LED light is missing the diffuser glass so I can actually see the light. So if it is trying to make a colour I can see say the red and green light on. Also there is a slight bit of bleed on the top of the screen. Still though for 50 euro it isn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

lynchie wrote: »
    Been getting it on and off since 4.4.3 on 3 different N4 devices. It has been better since moving to L. Have only had it once since upgrade. Though it is a pain when it happens during the night as your alarm wont go off. Have been using safe charge when plugged in at night to stop is sleeping but on one occasion it didnt help.

I've been getting this too occasionally when I charge overnight.
    Like you, it's been a feature since 4.4.3.

I really don't have much time for Lollipop - it's turned my phone into a brick.
    The phone app is appalling.I was trying to make calls the other day and, when it would eventually dial the number, there was no sound at all.
    Today the screen switched off during a call and I couldn't unlock it or even hang up. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I was running Cyanogenmod 11 (KitKat based) but a nasty bug was causing me to have no in-call audio. I tried to live with the workarounds but it got very annoying so I just took a chance and flashed it with a (technically unstable) CM12 nightly build (Lollipop 5.0.2 based) and my N4 is flying again.

When I installed I wiped the system partition (and the 2 caches) and essentially installed from fresh. I suspect most people with Lollipop issues have them because they upgraded OTA and it essentially installed on top of KitKat.

I recommend a clean install on your N4s. The phone is well capable of running it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

murphaph wrote: »
    When I installed I wiped the system partition (and the 2 caches) and essentially installed from fresh. I suspect most people with Lollipop issues have them because they upgraded OTA and it essentially installed on top of KitKat.

I recommend a clean install on your N4s. The phone is well capable of running it well.

I installed lollipop using the factory image as the phone is rooted so the upgrade wouldn't work. Cleared cache etc. & I'm still having the same issues I had with kitkat, the phone just switches itself off. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

My random reboots have gone (phone was rebooting at least once a day on CM11). Is it 5.0.2 that you have installed? Did you wipe the system partition before installing?

Maybe just try the latest nightly from Cyanogenmod (you'll need to grab gapps as well as due to legal reasons CM can't bundle them, but you just flash the gapps in the same way as the ROM itself. In TWRP anyway you select the ROM zip file and then the gapps zip file and then flash and they'll be flashed one after the other). I grabbed gapps for 5.0 from https://s.basketbuild.com/gapps.

For reference I used the nightly from the 31st of January: https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=mako

Honestly, my phone is like new. Absolutely flying along...Lollipop is even growing on me. You could try that nightly and if it's still not right then perhaps you have a hardware problem.

CM is better than stock anyway (you can't beat the automatic profile switching (based on wifi network etc.) and iOS like "Do not disturb" features...all built in natively and it looks like stock because it is 99% stock, just with some nifty features added.

These suggestions sound great but I'm afraid I'll screw up.

Is there an idiot proof guide to it?

also can I keep my whatsapp messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I've to replace my screen after dropping it.

I've ordered the screen and digitizer on eBay which has yet to arrive.

I've watched a few YouTube videos and I reckon I can manage it but I don't have a heat gun, would a hairdryer suffice to loosen whatever needs to be loosened?

One of the videos uses double sided sticky tape but the screen I ordered doesn't appear to come with that, is it necessary?

Any other things I need to pay attention to while doing it?

TIA

Just buy the frame aswell. Will save you a lot of hassle! It is pretty easy then. I got mine on ebay for 50 euro. Only problem was that the grey diffuser light was missing for the LEDs but the guy refunded me 60 percent for that.

I can imagine that getting it out of the frame may be hard enough but still doable. The only thing you would need a heat gun for is the battery but yeah a hairdryer will do. Don't be afraid of bending the battery a little, it will bend back.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Raoul wrote: »
    Just buy the frame aswell. Will save you a lot of hassle! It is pretty easy then. I got mine on ebay for 50 euro. Only problem was that the grey diffuser light was missing for the LEDs but the guy refunded me 60 percent for that.

I can imagine that getting it out of the frame may be hard enough but still doable. The only thing you would need a heat gun for is the battery but yeah a hairdryer will do. Don't be afraid of bending the battery a little, it will bend back.

Cheers for that, I got this on ebay, hopefully this is what you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Cheers for that, I got this on ebay, hopefully this is what you mean.

100% agree on buying the frame as well as screen.
    I've had to replace the screen twice on mine.
    The second time I only accidentally ordered the screen, not the screen and frame.
    It is an absolute b@stard to get the screen out of the frame. I thought I'd go insane doing it and that was even with a very powerful hairdryer to heat it up. There were fragments of glass everywhere.
    Still got it done though, despite about an hour of chipping fragments of glass!

Advertisement