Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

When you realise another rider is doing the same loop as you - but in the opposite direction:

Opposite Loop Pursuit... IS ON

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Brian? wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering a purchase of these:

http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_products/Road-Handlebar-236.html

Rode a bike for and few months that had the real FSA ones on it and really liked the shape. I'm too much of a cheap skate to buy the real ones. Hongfu get great reviews for their various bits.

Anyone else interested? They're about $60 each bought alone but I'd say we could knock a few quid off with a bulk buy.

Minimal customs implications at that price.

Hey,

I'd be interested in some of this action - let me know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭buffalo

Two Irishmen sitting in a pub watching the Tour de France on TV. Seamus shakes his head and asks "Why the hell do they do that?" "Do what?" replies Mick. "Go on them bikes for miles and miles, up and down the hills, round the bends. Day after day, week after week. No matter if it's icy, rainin', snowin', hailin'... why would they torture themselves like that?" "It's all for the prestige and the money" says Mick. "You know the winner gets about a half a million Euros". "Yeah, I understand that" says Seamus "But why do all the others do it?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Olympic gold medallist Joanna Rowsell knocked off bike by car

Happens to the best of them, as they say.

Thankfully, apart from bruises and cuts, she seems to be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Tragedy in Cavan yesterday, motorcycle marshal killed after colliding with tractor during a 40k charity cycle in Ballyjamesduff. Can never be care enough. May he rest in peace.

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-dies-after-crash-involving-a-motorcycle-and-tractor-860840-Apr2013/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lance Armstong fan GW's take on Maggie Thatcher's death.

Graham Watson ‏@grahamwatson10 5m

"I wonder what the British political scene would now be like if Margaret Thatcher had never been in power? Quite a woman, a great leader, RIP"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I overhauled my commute bike last weekend - new chain, new gear levers, new slick tyres (finally took off the winter spiked tyres, which of course is the weather's cue to suck again), I even washed it. I was almost looking forward to my commute to work this morning to try it out.

A few metres down the road and it became very obvious that my hopes of the cassette still being usable were blindly optimistic. The chain skipped merrily in my most heavily used cogs. So I ended up kicking it into a little used gear at the top end, plus big chainring up front. There is a reason that I use that gear so little, I'm only a wee fella. I turned myself into the stereotypical "just pulled the bike out of the shed from under the wheelbarrow" commuter that has to get out of the saddle and haul on the handlebars just to get the gear turning over. 'Twas shocking really, all that I lacked was the rusty chain, badly buckled wheels, and broad expanse of butt cleavage (edged with muffin top) to complete the picture.

I apologise to cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

doozerie wrote: »
    and broad expanse of butt cleavage (edged with muffin top) to complete the picture.

I apologise to cycling.

Thank Gawd for bib tights, to equalise the muffin :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

some funny parts in that lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I overhauled my commute bike last weekend - new chain, new gear levers, new slick tyres (finally took off the winter spiked tyres, which of course is the weather's cue to suck again), I even washed it. I was almost looking forward to my commute to work this morning to try it out.

A few metres down the road and it became very obvious that my hopes of the cassette still being usable were blindly optimistic. The chain skipped merrily in my most heavily used cogs. So I ended up kicking it into a little used gear at the top end, plus big chainring up front. There is a reason that I use that gear so little, I'm only a wee fella. I turned myself into the stereotypical "just pulled the bike out of the shed from under the wheelbarrow" commuter that has to get out of the saddle and haul on the handlebars just to get the gear turning over. 'Twas shocking really, all that I lacked was the rusty chain, badly buckled wheels, and broad expanse of butt cleavage (edged with muffin top) to complete the picture.

I apologise to cycling.

I keep passing a teenager with this riding style on the way to UCD, the difference being that his entire drive train is a darling shade of oxide red and the bike literally screams.

No crack on display thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »

One can say what they like about the woman, but she was eerily prophetic on the unworkability of the EU.

As a teen I admired her, though there was a lot that to dislike.
    An immense character that simply dwarfs modern day political leaders (for good and bad).

I say a website today that led with the phrase - the lady's not returning!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Was considering getting Speedplay pedals and noticed Speedplay Nanogram Zero Ti bargain at £479.99 down from £599.00 on CRC :pac:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50103

The blurb says "The Nanogram was conceived and engineered as a race-day-only pedal system. However, it is equally well-qualified to satisfy the most discerning connoisseurs of cycling components who demand the absolute best racing equipment".

What does race-day-only mean? Are these disposable pedals or something that will be trash after a race?

ROK ON wrote: »
    One can say what they like about the woman, but she was eerily prophetic on the unworkability of the EU.

Eerily prophetic? Or just a cranky auld wan that adopted such a scatter gun approach to moaning about, and condescending to, everything that occasionally she'd clip one of her many targets (giving the benefit of the doubt here that she even got anything right about the EU) every now and again?

el tel wrote: »
    What does race-day-only mean? Are these disposable pedals or something that will be trash after a race?

I think it means they are made of quite fragile materials (for pedals), carbon fibre and titanium to be precise. As an example, from what I recall the Speedplay titanium axles, available on Speedplay Titanium model, have a weight limit listed for them and I've read anecdotes of heavier riders snapping them in use, so maybe not a good choice for the faint hearted. Adding carbon fibre pedal bodies to the mix probably does nothing to extend their lifespan even without bad luck playing a part.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Eerily prophetic? Or just a cranky auld wan that adopted such a scatter gun approach to moaning about, and condescending to, everything that occasionally she'd clip one of her many targets (giving the benefit of the doubt here that she even got anything right about the EU) every now and again?

If you're anti enough things you're bound to be right eventually.

Funnily enough she was anti Nelson Mandela and pro Augusto Pinochet and Pol Pot. Was she eerily right there as well I wonder?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭buffalo

Brian? wrote: »
    If you're anti enough things you're bound to be right eventually.

I thought you were talking about doozerie... :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

buffalo wrote: »
    I thought you were talking about doozerie... :pac:

Maybe i was.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

That's it. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

A 9am 70km spin through NCD. What better place for training with Paris-Roubaix still fresh in the mind. Freshly ploughed fields like patches on a quilt, views of plains for miles, the odd cloud of dust thrown up around you, the pavé of the R132, untouched for the sake of tradition, rattling your bones, the wind and biting cold that hit you when the hedgegrows disappear, lambs in the fields, roosters crowing, people on the side of the road obstructing you and almost knocking you off. The real thing.

Whole thing was made all the better by my newly-arrived Sealskinz gloves, both windproof and merino undergloves. First spin since October where I could look around and wonder at how warm my hands were rather than stare at my front wheel and wonder at why I couldn't feel my hands anymore. Though I should probably have worn my overshoes. The cold is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

My spin home yesterday did not involve gloves for the first time in about 6 months. Very strange sensation indeed :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Anyone know what the prevailing psychology between the bewildering Antler like protrusions going on a lot of beater bikes around town these days?

I overtook a guy (8 times, RLJer) yesterday who had a set of oldstyle long bar ends turned vertically with the brake levers mounted at a weird protruding angle under the flat handlebars.

Every-other bike I see with drops has them twisted upwards into a weird yoga "salute the sun" type pose, and I've encountered at least one bike with upside down drops.

Is it an effort to be individual? Or do these people suffer from a very low aptitude for spacial reasoning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

t'bear wrote: »
    My spin home yesterday did not involve gloves for the first time in about 6 months. Very strange sensation indeed :-)

just had a long sleeve jersey and nalini rain cape on with only 1 set of gloves. Felt good (apart from the antics of commuter who launched a Cancellara style attack in me once I had passed him).
    Different story today though. Very. Cold again. Are we in April or Siberia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anyone have a CRC voucher by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

seamus wrote: »
    Anyone have a CRC voucher by any chance?

I've got one at home. Can pm you this evening if that's any good?

That'd be great, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Don't know if it's been posted before but acording to

UCI rule 1.2.019: No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI.

A national federation may grant special exceptions for races or particular events run in its own country.

1.2.021 Breaches of articles 1.2.019 or 1.2.020 shall render the licence holder liable to one month’s suspension and a fine of CHF 50 to 100.

Tony Martin, Alberto Contador, Vincenzo Nibali and Ryder Hesjedal have broken the rule this year.

http://inrng.com/2013/04/forbidden-races-uci-rule/#more-14132

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,612 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Oh dear, I did an IVCA race last week:eek:

Where do I send my money to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Beasty wrote: »
    Oh dear, I did an IVCA race last week:eek:

Where do I send my money to?

PM sent.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

So... new cycle path from Churchtown to Booterstown?

And new Irish-made kids' bikes http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/04/09/irish-bike-design-latest/#comments

All good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

Went for a 2 hour spin this eve up the Dublin mountains (cruagh, johnny foxes etc) on way home from work 50 kms and lots of climbing. Just had leggings, base layer and jersey with a wind proof jacket. No hat, gloves, overshoes....... slowly setting sun and quiet road (apart from the Orwell women's TT race) and stretching evening.

Dare I say that warm weather is coming. For the first time in ages I got home and did not need to sit in a stemming bath for 20mins to warm up.

Ordered new forks from CRC last night. I'm changing jobs and finished on Friday so I have to get them delivered to the house. I was hoping to intercept the delivery when I'm off next week so the missus wouldn't see :D.

CRC gave me a dispatch notice this morning, but it's worse than that; I ordered at 8pm last night and parcelforce picked them up at 8:50. The pickers must have lashed it into the delivery last thing. So they'll arrive today or tomorrow.

Any other time I'd be delighted with the efficiency. I'm going to stick with, "Ah it's just bike stuff". It's worked for me this far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Always thought I was at a bit of a disadvantage going uphill thanks to my big, heavy, 60cm aluminium frame weighing me down...

Curiosity finally got the better of me and I decided to weigh it...twice while holding it standing on a digital scales, and once more on its own to verify the average of the first two readings....

8.5kgs with training wheels....probably more like 8kgs with my racing wheels....

Dammit! Time to start looking for other excuses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

colm_gti wrote: »
    Always thought I was at a bit of a disadvantage going uphill thanks to my big, heavy, 60cm aluminium frame weighing me down...

Curiosity finally got the better of me and I decided to weigh it...twice while holding it standing on a digital scales, and once more on its own to verify the average of the first two readings....

8.5kgs with training wheels....probably more like 8kgs with my racing wheels....

Dammit! Time to start looking for other excuses!

wind? pies? beer? they generally work for me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi guys,

I am arranging a comedy night in the laughter lounge on eden quay tomorrow. Have a few unsold tickets which I would prefer to get rid of to boardsies here rather than throw in the bin. The tickets are normally selling for 25e but would be willing to take a 5-10e donation to cover the cost of the tickets. If your interested in heading along let me know, you can get in touch here or by PM. Ill be able to meet today or tomorrow with tickets.....so first come first served. All are welcome, and should be a good night!! Hope to see some of you there!

The charity is the Niall Mellon Township Trust
    www.nmtownshiptrust.com

Check out more info on the gig here including line-up etc.
    http://www.facebook.com/events/130818310422831/

Donations for tickets can be made here (or cash if preffered)
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/rob_wilson

Any other questions just get in touch!

Thanks to Beasty for permission to post here too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

564047_10151616664620452_1348339579_n.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Interesting tandem for sale on adverts if anyone's feeling brave:

http://www.adverts.ie/bikes/tandem-bike-for-sale/2913492

NmEwZGQzNjk5MGJhMmQ2NDRiNGZhMTI4YTI3NDNiOTdFV5_vKh52jMMvBLPhkA-6aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNWUzYjc1MzE2YTE2NGUxZjI3YzFmNmFkYWFmMjIyMzBhMWVkNGQ0ZDQyNjlmMmY1NGIzYmEyMGMzMzgxOTczZC5qcGd8fDUyNXx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZHZlcnRzLmllL3N0YXRpYy9pL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmd8fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS9ub25lLWltYWdlLmpwZ3w=.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

on my commute home last night, somewhere around talbot street my PM reported I hit a peak power output of 9058 watts........

Oh how I laughed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Interesting tandem for sale on adverts if anyone's feeling brave:

That's been on sale before. I'd love to go and see it.

My baby is now with Holyboy.. Please treat her well until I get her back:o

AstraMonti wrote: »

ill be down with him tomorrow. ill make sure to relieve your bike of some nice parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

AstraMonti wrote: »

couldn't you get a babysitter :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Facebook campaign to get 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead' wizard of oz song to No:1
    because Thatcher the oul **** is dead lol

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/margaret-thatcher-dead-facebook-campaign-1818341

lennymc wrote: »
    ill be down with him tomorrow. ill make sure to relieve your bike of some nice parts.

Sure I like you, you can give it a hug.
    couldn't you get a babysitter :confused:

He is a good babysitter, understand my needs!

In other news, here's something weird.

My veloflex corsa tires has this printed inside:

C2f6svB.jpg

Dafuq..?

• Advertisement

knock knock
    who's there
    B
    B who?
    BMC

its my new frame. Sweet.