Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Actually, I probably shouldnt be encouraging people to name their newborns after my son! Want to keep it rare LOL!

Eli is a terrible name.....:D

Dreadful, awful, shocking name. Who'd ever call their poor child such a bad bad bad name. :P They should opt for something better and sensible like Folio instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I like martha as a girls name .

Does anyone like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I was only thinking about the name Martha the other day. I love it- it is a friend's middle name. You would have to be careful about the accent in your region though or it could sound horrendous.

I love the name Eli, and don't know many people who watch The Good Wife so I don't think the association would be made. I do watch it but would never make the connection. I suppose I would only ever make connections with main characters in really popular shows or films.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

monflat wrote: »
    I like martha as a girls name .

Does anyone like ?

love Martha, Mabel and Maud

we had sort of agreed on Arabella but his sister was talking at the weekend and said she had a doll called Arabella which was still in the attic. so we have scratched that.

i love, love, love Mabel but he thinks its horrible

Ok great thanks !!
    My three choices are martha cora and stella ? Stella is a new choice
    I like it thou

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Ok great thanks !!
    I like it thou

I love all three of those!

Cora would have been a definite contender for me if I'd had a girl. While I love Stella, it would have been terrible with my second name. I really like Martha, what would put me off a tiny bit is that it would take a couple of years for the child to pronounce their own name, it tends to take them quite a while to manage the "th" sound.

They are all beautiful names. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Love Stella. Himself doesnt like it because Stella beer is known as wife beater, Frank Gallagher from shameless daughter is called Stella after said beer and there is someone on corrie called Stella.

Love Cora He hates Cora because it sounds like the core of an Apple which is rubbish.

I am so over this baby naming business

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I really like the name Martha, partly because I love the Tom Waits song of the same name.

It didn't occur to me that some people wouldn't pronounce the "th" properly, which come to think of it is a bit off putting.

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I really like the name Martha, partly because I love the Tom Waits song of the same name.

It didn't occur to me that some people wouldn't pronounce the "th" properly, which come to think of it is a bit off putting.

I suppose it would alright.
    Something to consider !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Love Martha (am biased though) but couldn't use as a first name as would not suit the surname. So she got it as a middle name. Was my grannys name who died 2 years ago tomorrow so when my daughter was born (she will be 2 on Tuesday) I thought it would be a lovely way to remember her. When I told my father it was the first and only time I seen him cry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't like Stella , Martha or Cora but by now we know my taste is odd .
    Martha sounds like an old womans name to me , Stella I just think of the beer and it said in any strong accent and I am not sure why bit Cora is a name I never liked .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

dizzymiss wrote: »
    Odin is a norse god name. Met a guy a few years back wuth the name and it just stuck in my head. It's also Thor's father's name for fans of the comic :)

Love Chloe and Mia. How do you pronounce Ayla?

I love Odin , Chloe , Ayla and Amelia .
    I don't like Mia but like Maia / Maya .
    I would have never thought of Roisa as an Irish name .

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I don't like Stella , Martha or Cora but by now we know my taste is odd .
    Martha sounds like an old womans name to me , Stella I just think of the beer and it said in any strong accent and I am not sure why bit Cora is a name I never liked .

Totally with you on all these names!

Me neither, I just think of the old "Caol le caol, leathan le leathan" rule that was drilled into us in primary school! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My sons principal is Roise, pronounced the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

wolfpawnat wrote: »

Róise is lovely but Roisa just looks like 'Royce-a' to me!

wolfpawnat wrote: »

Róise and Róis and Róisín are pretty names and what the 2 girls wanted to call baby ,unfortunately being the cruel people that we are we would not let them name her after Ms Rabbits twins Rosie and Robbie in Peppa Pig .
    C was in denial about her actual name for the 1st few days lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Daisymay2007

Here's my two cents worth...a very difficult decision but have another 20 weeks to decide!

Girls
    Sadie
    Heather
    Poppy
    Daisy
    Ava
    Francesca
    Juliet
    Rosie

Boys
    Finn
    Fionn
    Jacob
    Rowan/Roan
    Eli

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Ruksy07 wrote: »
    Would love a bit of help on this one. We have decided on Kyle for a boy, however my hubby lost a friend he hadn't seen for a long time a few months ago. Kyle was his surname.

My hubby wants to spell it differently because they weren't close enuf to be naming a child after him and more importantly we are already dedicating this baby's second name to my brother whom we lost tragically ourselves.

Looking for a variation on the spelling thats not too off the wall. I like Ciall ( means wisdom in irish) but does anyone know if this is pronounced the same as Kyle. Also do you think it would match well with his not so big sister Roisa?

Caill in irish is pronounced exactly the same as Kyle in english. It's the irish word for to lose. Chaill me an leabhar - I lost the book
    So you could use that spelling? As long as gaeilgeoirs don't start calling him 'Loser' :D

I put my two into Facebook - I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but it confirmed that my wee girl's name is unique!

This is a great idea for researching names. FB is a great resource.
    I used it to check if Tadhg or Tadgh is more commonly used.

FB search was also how I discovered there are an equal amount of Maebhs and Meabhs. (not to mention the Meadhbhs...)

And based on that I decided if we go with this name we'll use the spelling Maeve to spare the child a lifetime of confusion

• Advertisement

Lucuma wrote: »
    Caill in irish is pronounced exactly the same as Kyle in english. It's the irish word for to lose. Chaill me an leabhar - I lost the book
    So you could use that spelling? As long as gaeilgeoirs don't start calling him 'Loser' :D

It depends on the dialect though, my mum (Munster) would pronounce caill as Kyle, however I'm from Connacht and went to Gaelteachts in Connacht and would pronounce it more like "call".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Here's my two cents worth...a very difficult decision but have another 20 weeks to decide!

Girls
    Sadie
    Heather
    Poppy
    Daisy
    Ava
    Francesca
    Juliet
    Rosie

Boys
    Finn
    Fionn
    Jacob
    Rowan/Roan
    Eli

Ooh I really like heather for some reason... I don't usually like flower names. Francesca is unusual too but I think people wold shorten it to fran, or franny which I feel is an old ladies name. and then maybe mean people would drop the r!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It depends on the part of the country, it's "cahl" in others. Either way, I don't see the point in "Irishising" the name at all, especially if the pronunciation is going to be the same and the OP is trying to avoid it being the same as the dead person.

Kai is another option, but it wouldn't be my preference. If the OP wants an Irish sounding name with a similar sound - Caolan/Keelan, Cian/Kian or Ryan are options too.

My girl names are:
    Emily (one we both agree on)
    Lilly (one we both agree on)
    Penny (I like, husband not so sure)
    Zoe (he really likes, I'm okish with)
    Naomi (he really likes, I'm okish with)
    Olivia ( I really like it, husband not so sure, also a few people he works with called their daughters that).

My boy names are:
    Sebastian (I love it, husband hates it with a passion)
    Simon ( I like it, husband not so sure)
    Will (we both agree on)
    Matthew (I like it but it has to stay at Matthew, no Matt, Matty, etc- husband feels will get shortened regardless).
    Toby (I like, husband not so sure).
    Eli (I really like, husband feels calling child after Eli in the Good Wife).
    Sam (we both like but I really feel every second boy is called this now)
    Ben (we both like but the boys that aren't called Sam are called Ben).
    Alex ( I like, husband a bit "meh" with it).

Penny are you serious about calling your daughter Penny? :D
    I suppose after all this time you've become attached to it :-)
    Don't think I'll be going for Lucuma for mine

You were saying above you're not that keen on Ben and Sam coz they're too popular. Same applies to Lilly and Olivia I'm afraid.

It depends on the dialect though, my mum (Munster) would pronounce caill as Kyle, however I'm from Connacht and went to Gaelteachts in Connacht and would pronounce it more like "call".

yeah in Munster irish caill is pronounced as Kyle I meant

Ok great thanks !!
    I like it thou

In Cork Stella was a chavtastic name....to the point where you remember girls that wore hair with a bump at the front and ponytail on the top of their head? That hairstyle was called a 'Stella bump' and if doing your best north cork inner city impression you'd say 'Stella-wella-way from me girl!!'

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Penny are you serious about calling your daughter Penny? :D
    I suppose after all this time you've become attached to it :-)
    Don't think I'll be going for Lucuma for mine

You were saying above you're not that keen on Ben and Sam coz they're too popular. Same applies to Lilly and Olivia I'm afraid.

I really like Penny. It's not my real life name though - they couldn't be less alike!
    I ran the list past my husband yesterday evening and he is still set against Eli, must work on that. He was very taken with Alex though.
    Emily is always agreed on so we may well end up with an Emily or an Alex.
    That said, for each name my parents agreed on my Dad ended up tweeking it a little when the crunch came- Bridget (after my granny) became Deirdre with Bridget as a second name, Jane became Jean and so on.
    I'd have killed him if I was my mother. He totally got his own way with my name. I think she'd given up at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Ruksy07 wrote: »
    Would love a bit of help on this one. We have decided on Kyle for a boy, however my hubby lost a friend he hadn't seen for a long time a few months ago. Kyle was his surname.

My hubby wants to spell it differently because they weren't close enuf to be naming a child after him and more importantly we are already dedicating this baby's second name to my brother whom we lost tragically ourselves.

Looking for a variation on the spelling thats not too off the wall. I like Ciall ( means wisdom in irish) but does anyone know if this is pronounced the same as Kyle. Also do you think it would match well with his not so big sister Roisa?

Ciall in common usage means 'sense' or 'common sense', eg Níl aon ciall ag baint leis = He doesn't have an ounce of sense. I only understand 'caill' as in to lose something. Either way I'd say go with the original spelling or change the name, I don't think trying to Irish-ise it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

Hi,

My wife is mad about the name Neala (pronounce Neel - Ah). I've never heard of this name before and was wondering if it is Irish as I've seen on some websites. Just because a few websites say its Irish doesn't means its true. :)

The spelling seems a bit strange as it would be pronounced "Nyah Lah" os Gaeilge. But if it is an old Irish name then it could be an old spelling.

The correct spelling in Irish for this pronunciation would be Nialla or Níalla but there is nobody on the internet with this name as far as I can see.

Thanks for your help,

Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Love this name. There was a character on ER called Neala but she was of Indian heritage I think? It's one of my top girls names.

Advertisement