Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Darian Stewart (former Rams safety) signs for the Ravens on a one year deal. Can't say I know anything about him at all to be honest, is he any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

This is an inspired pickup for the Ravens. Smith has an attitude that the Ravens have been missing since Reed and Lewis left.

Ravens acquire Jeremy Zuttah from the Buccaneers for a 2015 5th round draft pick.

Certainly an upgrade over Gradkowski at the C spot. He can play at LG too if needed.

That means we're looking at the below as our OL for the upcoming season:

Monroe - Osemele - Zuttah - Yanda - Wagner

Who Is Darian Stewart? A Hard-Hitting Clip Is A Great Intro

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-324-Beast-Kelechi-Osemele-Pulls-Tractor-Tires-After-Back-Surgery/48b453eb-61db-4fa1-a28d-ec6e7f404b75?mobile-id=807738&media-type=N
    When the Ravens added veteran safety Darian Stewart to their roster, Hensley joked about how few fans would know who Stewart even is.

“The Baltimore Ravens finally added a free-agent safety. Is it Chris Clemons? Thomas DeCoud? How about Champ Bailey?” Hensley asked. “Well, no. The Ravens agreed on a one-year deal with Darian Stewart. If you're wondering who this is, you're not alone.”

While Stewart is unknown and many expect the Ravens to still address their need for a playmaking free safety, Stewart’s physicality and potential contributions shouldn’t go unnoticed. He has a reputation as a tough guy who can make a hit hurt.

"Good safety, good player," Rams analyst D'Marco Farr told The Sun. "Good, smart, instinctive guy, underrated hitter. Ryan Williams, the running back for the Arizona Cardinals, he definitely knows who Darian Stewart is. He gave him one of the hardest hits I've ever seen. He ended his season. I've never seen a guy hit that hard.

"Darian's a smart player. He's how you like your players right on the edge of cocky, very confident. He's very sure of himself. He's a safety in this league."

The hit that Farr is referring to is in the video below.

It looks like Williams is knocked out, but it was later revealed that he left the game with a shoulder injury, not a head injury.

None the less, it was the Ravens’ newest safety who delivered the hardcore hit.

Interesting opinion from a Rams analyst there. The hit in question is below, nasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

Looks like Ray Rice is in BIG BIG trouble, a suspension coming his way no matter what the outcome. I can see Ozzie taking a RB with a 3rd or 4th round pick now.

• Advertisement

youngco87 wrote: »
    Looks like Ray Rice is in BIG BIG trouble, a suspension coming his way no matter what the outcome. I can see Ozzie taking a RB with a 3rd or 4th round pick now.

At worst, he won't get any jail time IMO. He's a professional athlete which virtually keeps him out anyway as we all know they seem to have a different set of laws to the rest of us and he has bucket loads of money and previous good character to spin it.

He and his finance are also "happy, they're together, they're in counseling" and "neither of them wishes to go forward with this prosecution" according to Rice's lawyer.

I'm going to say that this one never even reaches court and there's no league suspension.

* Cue five year jail sentence and this post being bumped :pac: *

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I hope you are right Paully. Ray Rice looks in great shape at the moment. It would be a shame for him to miss the start of the season.
    He will be a huge player for the Ravens next season especially if our offensive line improves.

I hope you are right Paully. Ray Rice looks in great shape at the moment. It would be a shame for him to miss the start of the season.
    He will be a huge player for the Ravens next season especially if our offensive line improves.

Me too mate :pac:

Yep, he's apparently down 15 pounds. Down to 210 from 225. Presuming he's on the field to start the season it will be very interesting to see how he goes in Kubiak's offense. Running backs have always seemed to do well under his coaching.

As you've alluded to though, the offensive line is key. If it performs like it did last season then we could have a combination between Barry Sanders and Adrian Peterson playing running back and it wouldn't make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Paully D wrote: »
    I'm going to say that this one never even reaches court and there's no league suspension.

* Cue five year jail sentence and this post being bumped :pac: *

He will definitely get a suspension
    Paully D wrote: »
    Yep, he's apparently down 15 pounds. Down to 210 from 225.

Dropping weight is what boxers do ;)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I hope we bring Owen Daniels to training camp. Himself and Pitta would be great options for the passing game. And Kubiak would use him for sure

Now he is still getting healthy so I'm not saying leap in immediately with a multi year deal. Just if he is still a FA coming close to camp I'd like him invited.

Recognising that Daniels won't be as cheap as a new draft pick hopefully practice squader Furstenburg coud make the roster as the 3rd TE too.

Harbaugh confirmed today that the Ravens are talking to Daniels. He'd be a hell of a lot better than Dickson anyway.

• Advertisement

Happy with this. Very good target in the middle of the field, fits in well with Kubiak's system and is a big upgrade over Dickson. Solid player.

If we draft a canny receiver I think we're looking very good on the offensive side of the ball. The two Smith's, Pitta, Daniels, Jones, Brown in his second season and a draftee would be nice. Serious contrast to last year!

Rolando McClain is meeting Ozzie in Alabama tomorrow with a view to getting back on the roster for the upcoming season.

Rolando McClain's workout was apparently a bit of a disaster. He didn't finish the conditioning test, didn't do drills, and to top it all off, he showed up late.

Anyone think they will spend a late round pick on a QB?

Harbaugh gave Tyrod Taylor a bit of criticism at the owners meeting weekend.

Taylor also said be was expecting competition.

Do you know a late round gem? :)

I heard about Tom Savage about two months back and he was projected as a 5th rounder then. Now he seems to be projected for the second round! So that's a non runner

There'll definitely be a QB brought in, IMO. In all honesty, Tyrod Taylor doesn't exactly inspire confidence and in any case he's a free agent in 2015.

We've met with Logan Thomas and Jimmy Garrapolo apparently. I'd imagine whoever we take will be a 5th, 6th or 7th rounder. Aaron Murray would probably be the best of those not massively hyped, but I think he'll be gone a round before we'd be willing to pull the trigger on a QB.

Maybe someone like Connor Shaw who we could likely get in the 6th or 7th and could sit behind Taylor for a year before stepping into the #2 role. He reminds me a bit of Alex Smith. Not a big risk taker or good on the deep ball but will rarely turn the ball over, keep an offense ticking over and can run a bit.

We will hopefully never have to see the #2 on the field anyway :)

Plenty of sources saying Ngata turned down a "long-term, lucrative" contract extension so that means he will stay counting $16m against the cap this season.
    Ngata Offered ‘Lucrative’ Contract

With defensive tackle Haloti Ngata set to count as $16 million against the salary cap this year, it’s no surprise to see various reports indicating the Ravens tried to get that number down.

Per Breer, the Ravens offered Ngata a “lucrative” long-term extension this offseason, similar to the one they agreed upon with Terrell Suggs.

In addition to a lower cap hit, the aim of the deal was to allow Ngata retire a Raven. The difference between Ngata and Suggs, however, is that Suggs only had one year left on his current deal whereas Ngata has two. Thus …

“No dice,” tweeted NFL Network’s Around The League.

La Canfora says it's not true that he turned a deal down though so who knows who is telling the truth.

LaCanfora is from Baltimore and has lots of contacts in the city.

I'd go with his information every day

McClain has been activated from the reserve/retired list and can now participate in the offseason conditioning programme which starts Monday, according to teh Ravens website.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

He'll need a lot of conditioning id say!

• Advertisement

There we go lads:

Bl8eHKsCcAAj1hb.png

Tricky start with 3 divisional games in 15 days. Home to Bengals, Steelers and then @ Browns. At least two of them are at home but playing the Bengals and then the Steelers 4 days later will be tough.

3 prime time games and our bye is at a nice time after an early Sunday game and before a Monday Night Football road game.

Not that it makes much difference, but it's the 28th ranked strength of schedule based on last seasons records. It looks kind enough on paper.

11 wins certainly achievable and would be my aim from that.

No complaints here.

Well gents, what do you want to see us do tonight? Two main needs I think are pretty obvious and would be agreed on by all - OT and S. A WR would be nice too.

In terms of players, best at their respective positions that may be available at #17:

OT - one of Lewan or Martin
    S - Clinton-Dix, Pryor, Ward
    WR - Ebron (TE, but I'm including him here), Beckham Jr

I'd be very happy with any of those, though perhaps not so much Martin as I feel he's more suited to being a guard and I'm unsure of how he will translate to playing the RT position we'd need him at in the NFL, but that's just a worry on my part and I'd be happy to concede to Ozzie and co if he was our pick.

If Beckham Jr is there I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us trade down with the 49ers as media gossip has suggested. A trade down and get someone like Jimmie Ward in the back end of the 1st would be nice work.

I see lots and lots of talent in the mid rounds

I would be quite happy if Ozzie trades from 17 to the late first and takes either Morgan Moses offensive tackle or Jimmie Ward at safety

A 3rd and a 4th and a 6th to go from 17 to San Franciso's 30th sounds fair to me. Maybe you'd get more, SF have 11 picks

I see lots and lots of talent in the mid rounds

I would be quite happy if Ozzie trades from 17 to the late first and takes either Morgan Moses offensive tackle or Jimmie Ward at safety

A 3rd and a 4th and a 6th to go from 17 to San Franciso's 30th sounds fair to me. Maybe you'd get more, SF have 11 picks

I haven't really looked into Moses much at all if I'm honest, focused most of my attention on the "Big Four" - Matthews, Robinson, Lewan and Martin. Have you assessed him mate? Suitable for that RT spot?

CJ Mosley it is. Happy with that. Just need to get S and OT addressed tomorrow.

Mosley and Daryl Smith at MLB is a very nice combination. Arthur Brown to sub in too with extra time to develop.

The Ravens seem very happy to have recruited C.J Mosley. Looking forward to seeing him play this season.
    From looking at the videos he looks like he reads the game well and can cover ground quickly.

Eric de Costa said he was number 10 on their overall board and best player available in their opinion at the time

Eric de Costa said he was number 10 on their overall board and best player available in their opinion at the time

If there was ever any doubt that the Ravens don't always go best player available then last night erases that.

Massive need at safety and tackle but went with Mosley. I'm happy with the pick. I'd personally have drafed Clinton-Dix but I can't complain with Mosley. He should be a good player at the position for quite some time.

All the main safety guys are gone now and I don't feel that there's any of the ones I have watched that would be good enough to slot in and start straight away so that has me a bit worried.

Any predictions or hopes for tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

The draft is a beautiful dose of football during these months of nothing, but a painful reminder of how much longer it'll be until the season starts.

This will be my 3rd year following the Ravens. Sure was nice having that Super bowl win the first year. How does everyone feel about the strength of the team now and the interesting schedule for the coming season? Am I right in saying no Broncos is an odd one?

Advertisement