Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reseeding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

mahoney_j wrote: »
    6 kg tyrella
    4 kg abberchoice
    4 kg Aston energy
    No clover
    Been set next Tuesday.gives a really thick sward with good all season growth.set same mix for last 2 years .very impressed.ob the Aston energy can anyone tell me why it ain't on the Irish approved list??.grows very well in greenfield and know 2 other guys that set it as a stand alone mix and massively impressed

How much is that mix costing

I paid 49 for 12.5kg

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

stanflt wrote: »

I paid 49 for 12.5kg

do you mind me asking where you are getting that mix?

do you mind me asking where you are getting that mix?

Gold crop diamond lea is similar

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

I paid 49 for 12.5kg

aberchoice
    abergain
    drumbo
    11.5 kgs 65 euro vey expensive
    i have found the mix quite good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

We paid 75e for
    Abergain
    Aberchoice and
    Tyrella.
    Worth it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

Yeah Tyrella an excellent grass seed
    put in aston energy Tyrella sorentio spring last year with brilliant results. Anyone else here have serious bloat problems with clover. Neighbour also has same problem
    I just won't plant it anymore after a few losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

We paid 75e for
    Abergain
    Aberchoice and
    Tyrella.
    Worth it though

AFAIK I paid less than that last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Yeah Tyrella an excellent grass seed
    put in aston energy Tyrella sorentio spring last year with brilliant results. Anyone else here have serious bloat problems with clover. Neighbour also has same problem
    I just won't plant it anymore after a few losses.

one lad at discussion group said he had that problem alright, never heard anyone else complain of it though

td5man wrote: »
    AFAIK I paid less than that last year.

I'll have a look. That was off top of my head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

simx wrote: »
    one lad at discussion group said he had that problem alright, never heard anyone else complain of it though

Have it here too but just have to manage it accordingly.

Get great cuts of silage off it every year with minimal fertiliser and cattle really thrive on it.

Worth managing it correctly but wouldn't include clover in a wetlands mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I paid 49 for 12.5kg

70 euro after a lot of haggling start point was 75.very good mix though and 14 kg,feel like I've been robbed seeingcwhat u paid!

70 euro after a lot of haggling start point was 75.very good mix though and 14 kg,feel like I've been robbed seeingcwhat u paid!

I think someone under charged me- paid on day group price cash

Will through up the invoice tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Sami23

nashmach wrote: »
    Have it here too but just have to manage it accordingly.

Get great cuts of silage off it every year with minimal fertiliser and cattle really thrive on it.

Worth managing it correctly but wouldn't include clover in a wetlands mix.

Why wouldn't you include clover in a wetland mix ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭aneala

Set the same here this april. Grazed it 3 timed in last 6 weeks. Super stuff

Hi Gg, just wondering could you tell me how much fert it has gotten since reseed?

aneala wrote: »
    Hi Gg, just wondering could you tell me how much fert it has gotten since reseed?

Got 2 goes of pasture sward. Was a cover if 1500 10 days ago when cows grazed it. Its slow now with lack of water but there us a cover of 450-500 on it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭nhg

Got the 11acres of grass seed sewn & rolled last night, shower just started as rolling finished, now to get the Physolith out before the rain tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

Sprayed off six acres last friday evening/saturday morning, I used Gallup 360 at a rate of 2.5/ltrs to the hectare and the water application was 250ltrs to the hectare. It seems to be dieing off well. A couple of people I mentioned it to said they would have used more spray, I am just wondering what is the general opinion?

Sprayed off six acres last friday evening/saturday morning, I used Gallup 360 at a rate of 2.5/ltrs to the hectare and the water application was 250ltrs to the hectare. It seems to be dieing off well. A couple of people I mentioned it to said they would have used more spray, I am just wondering what is the general opinion?

6 litres/ha is reccomened to get a good kill.
    I personally go with 7l/ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Go on manufacture suggestion,2.5 to 3 Ltrs per he .if old grass or high amount nod weeds up to 5 Ltrs per he,above that can't see point and adding to reseeding cost with neglible return.burnt off an 11 year old sward with sone d meadow grasses and docks on Monday at a rate of 4 Ltrs per he.well burnt now and cows going to graze tomorrow.seeds in Monday/Tuesday .one run of ripper 3 tonne of lime per acre 3 bags 10 10 20 per acre ,14 kg grass seed per acre.roll and sit back and wTchbit grow!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

Go on manufacture suggestion,2.5 to 3 Ltrs per he .if old grass or high amount nod weeds up to 5 Ltrs per he,above that can't see point and adding to reseeding cost with neglible return.burnt off an 11 year old sward with sone d meadow grasses and docks on Monday at a rate of 4 Ltrs per he.well burnt now and cows going to graze tomorrow.seeds in Monday/Tuesday .one run of ripper 3 tonne of lime per acre 3 bags 10 10 20 per acre ,14 kg grass seed per acre.roll and sit back and wTchbit grow!

I always took it to be the same, I am pretty sure the leaflet said 2.5-3ltr per hect and I was always told don't be shy with the water as its the cheapest part and the more water the better the spray. I would be no expert on spraying that why I was interested to get other peoples opinions. Sprayed off grass at this rate before and it appeared to be die off very well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

I always took it to be the same, I am pretty sure the leaflet said 2.5-3ltr per hect and I was always told don't be shy with the water as its the cheapest part and the more water the better the spray. I would be no expert on spraying that why I was interested to get other peoples opinions. Sprayed off grass at this rate before and it appeared to be die off very well.

If you've old pasture or old rye grasses 7 litres per ha with lots of water 1000 litres for 2.5 ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Any of yous on dry land, when are you going to reseed? If the weather breaks I'd be hoping to get in ASAP, my dad would much rather wait till late September.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Any of yous on dry land, when are you going to reseed? If the weather breaks I'd be hoping to get in ASAP, my dad would much rather wait till late September.

Supposed to be heavy 24hrs of rain starting tonight down this end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Timmaay wrote: »

Have given up on idea this year. Ground too hard for a while yet. Dont think weather is due for a big break. Late autumn rarely gives an opportunity to spray and graze before wet conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Sami23 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you include clover in a wetland mix ?

Because clover is not a fan of wetland and also it does not like being poached etc which is inevitable to a degree with wetter land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Supposed to be heavy 24hrs of rain starting tonight down this end

Supposed to be very warm for rest of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭nhg

We did last years reseed just before the ploughing championship last year, felt it was too late as nothing to spray or graze before the winter, then in spring by the time that you could spray it was gone too strong, that's why we went with it this week, a lot of rain forecast for tonight. We will just have to see how it works out and at least we will know for future reseeds when suits our ground best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

nhg wrote: »
    We did last years reseed just before the ploughing championship last year, felt it was too late as nothing to spray or graze before the winter, then in spring by the time that you could spray it was gone too strong, that's why we went with it this week, a lot of rain forecast for tonight. We will just have to see how it works out and at least we will know for future reseeds when suits our ground best.

I sprayed mid August and sowed 1st week September worked out very well but I reckon I got lucky with the warm autumn last year

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

Although it makes the process longer, I like to spray with d50 a few days after roundup if the weeds are bad.. gets a much better kill imo...

Roundup only tends to leave dirt behind..

• Advertisement

larthehar wrote: »
    Although it makes the process longer, I like to spray with d50 a few days after roundup if the weeds are bad.. gets a much better kill imo...

Roundup only tends to leave dirt behind..

Lads in my DG group put grazon in with the round up leaves a very clean sward

Advertisement