Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Grayditch wrote: »
    I've still got hopes for it, but the missions are dull and repetitive for most people. There's no changing what has already been.

I'd nearly question why are people suprised there is repetition?

How many mission types is there exactly, for a game based in space with a backdrop of a raging war.

I'm hard pushed to think of a big budget release in recent memory where "repition" wasn't there. To be honest not sure where this repition critique came into the gaming sphere from, but it's a pretty rubbish parameter to criticise a game for, when you consider most games, nay nearly all games, have large repetitive elements.

Funny enough all the comments and reviews I'm reading, they quickly brush over how the has top notch gameplay and responsiveness, to pidgeon hole on how the game isn't as big as some might thought, and how it's "repetitive".

Obviously I'll make my own mind up when the god damn game arrives, but beta provided me enough of a tease to know regardless of how long the game is, doing what I was doing there, will keep me interested plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Grayditch wrote: »
    I've still got hopes for it, but the missions are dull and repetitive for most people. There's no changing what has already been.

I initially thought this too and it's true if you just play 'em solo. However, If you play as part of a fire team and attempt them on harder levels to gain loot then I don't think it's a stick to beat the game with.

Like Borderlands or Diablo, the narrative and mission structure is largely there to act as a framework to explore, loot and level up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd nearly question why are people suprised there is repetition?

How many mission types is there exactly, for a game based in space with a backdrop of a raging war.

I'm hard pushed to think of a big budget release in recent memory where "repition" wasn't there. To be honest not sure where this repition critique came into the gaming sphere from, but it's a pretty rubbish parameter to criticise a game for, when you consider most games, nay nearly all games, have large repetitive elements.

Funny enough all the comments and reviews I'm reading, they quickly brush over how the has top notch gameplay and responsiveness, to pidgeon hole on how the game isn't as big as some might thought, and how it's "repetitive".

Obviously I'll make my own mind up when the god damn game arrives, but beta provided me enough of a tease to know regardless of how long the game is, doing what I was doing there, will keep me interested plenty.

With the repetition in Destiny though there is no attempt to disguise it or give it a coat of paint. The game isn't small as such but what makes it feel small is that you have these vast areas to run around with dull side missions which involve shooting things that are there anyway. There are tonnes of NPC's in the Tower that could have handed out some interesting side missions etc and added reason for doing them, instead you have the same cookie cutter set of kill x amount of y and pick up the z they drop. So many times in destiny so far if stopped to ask why I'm that area and what my objective has to do with anything thats how bad the narrative is, there isn't even any lore in game to explain it, maybe there is on those card you unlock on the web site ?????

Unless things change by the time I get to Mars I'm calling the story an absolute joke, there is none, at the start you go to the tower and meet the speaker, after that we don't hear squat, the ghost fills in the narrative along the way by giving you little more than go here kill them because they are dark and bad.

The gameplay is good don;t get me wrong, but there are any number of other games you can do exactly the same thing in.

There are some silly things wrong with it too as I mentioned earlier,no in game map , having a clan system that you can't actually see in game or call upon members of it for co-op , you should have had the option to match make story missions , trying to form a fireteam in the tower is useless as the person you are inviting would have no idea as to what you want to play before joining the party. I mean if I can see this and call it crazy in terms of design it makes me wonder why they would thing it's a good system etc. I must go looking for interview to see if I can find them explain those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Still no proper reviews out. I like that. It means reviewers actually taking time and playing it.

Though some previews are not very kind to it. Looks like I did a right thing by skiping it.

Again I'd stress I'm taking all my stuff at this point from second hand opinions, as I still wait for my copy :(

But I think ensuring the GAMEPLAY is up to scratch, is a better place to expand from then say if the story was great, but the game was ****e.

SWTOR suffered from having horrible gameplay on release, but having a brilliant story. And all the while brilliant, droves of people left because the game suffered the most ridiculous playability issues. And this happens with a lot of games.

I think it's nearly easier to certian aspects then others. Having good gameplay is a great base to build off. Ideal world, this game arrived with no problems, advanced expansive world and great rich storytelling.

If the story, content etc is a bit lacking, then Bungie can look at providing some free DLC to make up for the launch disappointment.

I don't think this game is something they planned as a once off, they clearly want to build a big franchise here. And if the story is lacking and things are a bit much of a muchness in terms of missions, that is something they can fix with confidence. I'd be more concerned if there was issues with gameplay, which reports seem to suggest ( launch day bugs aside) the gameplay is waterfight, responsive, and all you could want from an FPS.

The only longterm worry I have for this game is Bungie getting sucked into the world of DLC premiums, and releasing a strike mission pack, or a new raid, in high frequency, expecting people to pay out for it everytime.

I'd much prefer content rich expansions released at a reasonable cost, but there is probably a big risk here of there being a bit of DLC greed sneaking in.

• Advertisement

Still no proper reviews out. I like that. It means reviewers actually taking time and playing it.

Though some previews are not very kind to it. Looks like I did a right thing by skiping it.

I'd stress a lot of the reviews I'm reading today, seem to be basing their opinions of the first few levels of the game. Obviously no one is really making comment on the raiding envrionment, since well, no one is there yet.

It also seems a lot of reviewers are playing this solo? I don't know but the only reason I got hyped for beta, and even more hyped for launch, is that I know I'm playing with friends. I'm sure there is positive aspects playing alone, but I couldnt help think this was meant to be played with a fireteam being the focus point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just remember that this being published by activision :p dlc greed is a given!

i cant say much i am only level 5 in it but i cant see how this is a 10 year long game like bungie have been saying, its pretty and the gameplay is very good but i just dont feel like i have a reason to play it except for leveling and loot, il give it another good shot tonight after work, how do you join up with the boards clan? could do with some people to play with tbh

TheDoc wrote: »
    Again I'd stress I'm taking all my stuff at this point from second hand opinions, as I still wait for my copy :(

But I think ensuring the GAMEPLAY is up to scratch, is a better place to expand from then say if the story was great, but the game was ****e.

SWTOR suffered from having horrible gameplay on release, but having a brilliant story. And all the while brilliant, droves of people left because the game suffered the most ridiculous playability issues. And this happens with a lot of games.

I think it's nearly easier to certian aspects then others. Having good gameplay is a great base to build off. Ideal world, this game arrived with no problems, advanced expansive world and great rich storytelling.

If the story, content etc is a bit lacking, then Bungie can look at providing some free DLC to make up for the launch disappointment.

I don't think this game is something they planned as a once off, they clearly want to build a big franchise here. And if the story is lacking and things are a bit much of a muchness in terms of missions, that is something they can fix with confidence. I'd be more concerned if there was issues with gameplay, which reports seem to suggest ( launch day bugs aside) the gameplay is waterfight, responsive, and all you could want from an FPS.

The only longterm worry I have for this game is Bungie getting sucked into the world of DLC premiums, and releasing a strike mission pack, or a new raid, in high frequency, expecting people to pay out for it everytime.

I'd much prefer content rich expansions released at a reasonable cost, but there is probably a big risk here of there being a bit of DLC greed sneaking in.

This was another thing that shocked me about the story, the fact that it's not planned to be a once off game and will be a franchise they have set nothing up so far and i'm 3/4 in, you are right that gameplay is very important, but here the story is so lacking in any kind of detail at all that ..... I'm going to spoiler this even though there are no specifics more about where I am in the game
    I'm on the last mission on venus with mars and 5 story missions to go and unless they pull a fast one and crowbar in some bombshell at the end i'm at a loss to even explain why I'm doing what I'm doing in the game or why I'm even there, no information about who the guardians are or where they came from is explained in any kind of depth, so much so that even if there is some big ending I won't care because the game doesn't explain to me once why I should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭mmmcake

No reviews out yet, put the tin foil hat on for a moment, Activision and reviewers are in tense negotiations over a score and the amount of ads Activison will buy for their web sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

how do you join up with the boards clan? could do with some people to play with tbh

http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/118535

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I agree the single player is very samey - though still fun.

I unlocked the Crucible last night and it's essentially Halo 5. I'd have no problem with this as I love multiplayer but I just got my ass handed to me with my level 5 weapons by guys with level 15-20 weapons. I thought there was supposed to be some balance in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Dades wrote: »
    I agree the single player is very samey - though still fun.

I unlocked the Crucible last night and it's essentially Halo 5. I'd have no problem with this as I love multiplayer but I just got my ass handed to me with my level 5 weapons by guys with level 15-20 weapons. I thought there was supposed to be some balance in there?

I've never really noticed a difference when I went in at lower level, was against guys 10 levels + ahead of me and seemed quite fair. Although some of the abilities of the classes can put you down real quick, maybe it was them you were experiencing?

Does anyone know if you get more parts/glimmer from weapons or armour that you dismantle that have been maxed out/upgraded or is there just a base material count for each type? I haven't been upgrading any of my blues with parts because I am finding them to be a bit of a rarity and saving them for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Gandalph wrote: »
    I've never really noticed a difference when I went in at lower level, was against guys 10 levels + ahead of me and seemed quite fair. Although some of the abilities of the classes can put you down real quick, maybe it was them you were experiencing?

Does anyone know if you get more parts/glimmer from weapons or armour that you dismantle that have been maxed out/upgraded or is there just a base material count for each type? I haven't been upgrading any of my blues with parts because I am finding them to be a bit of a rarity and saving them for later.

Yes you get more plasteel or weapons parts when dismantled if the gear is maxed. As for glimmer, use an ether seed or similar to make all enemies of a specific type to drop glimmer for 10 minutes.

What I noticed was everyone had bigger and better guns than me with my pea-shooter!
    Yes you get more plasteel or weapons parts when dismantled if the gear is maxed. As for glimmer, use an ether seed or similar to make all enemies of a specific type to drop glimmer for 10 minutes.
    I have absolutely no idea what you lads are talking about - should I be worried? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm quite enjoying Destiny. Gave it a good go last night/this afternoon. Unlocked the Crucible and been playing Capture for the most part.

Only level 6 and more than held my own against level 15+ opponents.

Not sure if I was just lucky, they're crap or I'm actually not as shíte as I thought I was at online shooters.

Having great fun with it anyway and that's all that matters.

0522a855-9da9-4c9f-8c6c-bd71075cd6f0.jpg

Dades wrote: »
    What I noticed was everyone had bigger and better guns than me with my pea-shooter!

I have absolutely no idea what you lads are talking about - should I be worried? :P

Everyone in PvP in the Crucible is Balanced.
    So If you are Level 5 and I'm Level 20 our guns still do the same damage and we have the same Health
    Maybe they were using shotguns and you were using ineffective Auto Rifles? Who knows
    All that matters are Abilities.
    My advice would be come back to Crucible at level 10 when you have another ability or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

anybody know where this vanguard armoury is?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Down beside the shipwright.

Before the stairs you take to get you 1st ship.
    The Items cost Glimmer (around 500) and the levels offered are based on your level.
    So at level 10 they change, and again at level 20. Keep checking every couple of levels but i'd wait till level 5 and make your purchase then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

k , i found it, i thought the weapons were suppose to be free with the special edition, they aint even that good like

• Advertisement

k , i found it, i thought the weapons were suppose to be free with the special edition, they aint even that good like

They are "good" if you get them just as they refresh, Levels 5 and 10 and 20 I believe, after that they are not worth it, maybe go back in a few levels time.

They cost glimmer as opposed to Vanguard Rank, so they are not so much free as accessible-early :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

I have to say the limited edition box set is class. Really ooses qaulity the maps, case everything glad i held out and didnt go digital

Cormac... wrote: »
    Everyone in PvP in the Crucible is Balanced.
    So If you are Level 5 and I'm Level 20 our guns still do the same damage and we have the same Health
    Maybe they were using shotguns and you were using ineffective Auto Rifles? Who knows
    All that matters are Abilities.
    My advice would be come back to Crucible at level 10 when you have another ability or 2
    Been playing FPS for 15 years... thought I might have some abilities at this stage. :(

Oh wait - you can unlock them! Sweet!

How are people finding the Bungie.net page for your character and the App?

Edit.... I like them but f**k me if i'm gonna read all the cards via either interface.... just line em up and let my swipe goddamit (Did anyone read the ones for Jupiter? *cough ice level cough* :p )

Also, you know what I love, how it gives me different K/D rations for each Crucible game type, so I can see what I'm best at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I've been playing the game on and off since I got it. The most fun I've had is the Crucible, since it's the closest it gets to feeling like how good Halo was.

The single-player... meh, most of my friends are on XBL so I'm playing this game mostly solo. I heard that the Raid feature in the game is strictly for friends only and while I'm a bit on the quiet side unless I'm actually talking to my actual friends, I feel because of this I'm going to miss out, big time.

I didn't get into the hype surrounding the game, I watched no videos or anything. All I did was play the beta on the last day, just to say I tried it.

I didn't know what to expect but I was surprised to see how madly focused to co-op gameplay it ended up. So I'm not sure what to make of it. It feels lonely, boring and dull playing on my own.

Long story short: I'm not enjoying it as much as I expected.

I was planning on getting an Xbox One for Xmas, but I might start saving up now and get it a bit early so I could maybe play Destiny with my friends and see how it is, then

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd be trading this in if I hadn't bought a digital copy. I played Titanfall no problem for 2 hours earlier on without one disconnect and I still have only managed to play one match in the crucible since I got this game. I'm able to play strikes and story missions with only the odd disconnect but as soon as I go crucible I'm lucky if I get past the intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,295 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'd be trading this in if I hadn't bought a digital copy. I played Titanfall no problem for 2 hours earlier on without one disconnect and I still have only managed to play one match in the crucible since I got this game. I'm able to play strikes and story missions with only the odd disconnect but as soon as I go crucible I'm lucky if I get past the intro.

Hardly comparable. Titanfall is about 6 months old and Destiny is less than 3 days old. The loading on the servers for Destiny, considering its basically an always-multiplayer game would be huge for the first few weeks.

Have to say I've had no real problems getting Crucible games. Think I've had two disconnections and maybe one time it was taking too long to find a game so I cancelled. Other than that, haven't had any problems at all, and that's playing to the point where I'm Lvl20 now.

Seems there's a LOT of copies for sale on Adverts, a lot of people are let down, well I invested in this game and I'm not in the habit of trade ins, so hopefully it'll all play out well, as I have the Expansion Pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

My character is one ugly git, 'jester dye' for my gear has me walking around looking like a rainbow.

• Advertisement

My character is one ugly git, 'jester dye' for my gear has me walking around looking like a rainbow.

I just got the same dye after hitting 20 :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement