Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Lori's an idiot...

I'd be happy to just say that, but might as well clarify a little.
    Right, firstly the big bravado to go get Rick. Good going with the car, you idiot.
    She didn't tell anyone, save Daryl because she knew Shane wouldn't have let her go.
    Also, doesn't she always complain about Rick going off and leaving them behind, only to go and leave her son behind without either parent? Nice going you idiot.

Then when Shane finds her, he tells her that Rick is back safe (Shane wouldn't lie about the well being of Rick). She doesn't even question him, "oh, ok..."
    If Rick was back safe, would he really send Shane to go get his wife?
    If Rick did get back safe, would it not be likely that he would have passed the upturned car on his way to the farm (Ok, there may be another way back, but it seemed to be a straight enough road to town)

I do like the show, or at least want to.
    But Lori is written as the most stupid person in history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Good episode, ending was meh though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Should add I did enjoy the episode too, or at least the Town scenes.
    Nice to actually see a shootout against other people, better shows how desperate people are getting, including our cast

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

Ys know, thinking about the other group that they met. I don't think they're the brightest. When Glen closed the bar door on them, they stood there, their profiles easy to see through the glass, saying "someone's in there", not thinking, there's someone in there and we should probably not stand here where we are a perfect target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

Kirby wrote: »
    I also think them risking their lives for the one legged plot device wasn't smart.

But it was the right thing to do, which is the point.

At first I thought the "Oh noez, zombies is coming!" was just a ruse to lure the three out of hiding. Turns out the driver of the car was just a bad actor. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

great episode i think that shane will soon snap and admit to shooting Otis. saw the promo for next weeks episode it looks very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Good enough episode. I'm still gonna nit pick though. :D

The guy impaled on the railings.

Herchel says that you cant pull the leg off the railing because it will damage his muscles/tendons. So they decide to cut the leg off ????? Makes no sense anyway ya look at it. And in the end even after yanking it off the railing he'll be on his feet in a week ??

When they do get him back there is only mention of the blind fold and letting him go in the group meeting. There is another armed group somewhere nearby who they have already killed members of to protect themselves. The only advantage of bringing him back would be to glean info about where the other group is and where they are going so they can avoid future encounters. But no mention of that, just patch him up and send him back in a week, its the right thing to do, meeting adjourned.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

MungBean wrote: »
    There is another armed group somewhere nearby who they have already killed members of to protect themselves. The only advantage of bringing him back would be to glean info about where the other group is and where they are going so they can avoid future encounters. But no mention of that, just patch him up and send him back in a week, its the right thing to do, meeting adjourned.

Too true. Fair enough that Rick doesn't want to lose his humanity, but he can't be so thick as to not get information from that guy. Set Daryl and Shane on him, he's be all chat in no time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I gave upon this show after ep. 5 of S2 - can't be arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

The episode was a step up from last weeks so maybe it's going to pick up pace again.

That whole love triangle thing was a cheap story to start with and it's coming to the inevitable clash between Shane and Rick, Lori just gets more and more annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

good for you richard, one less person to listen to whine for the next 3 years:D

anyway that was great episode no matter what way you look at it, lori was actually ok in this episode, i think shes become a bandwagon for eveyone to jump on, every caracter makes stupid decsions on the show, her was stupid going looking for rick, but at least they played it out somewhat realistically with the two walkers attacking her,

if you want to see more walkers then you kinda have to deal with some caracters making some debatable decisions, its easy to avoid the walkers, they can make easy choices and run around the country for another 3 or 4 season and theyll probably never interact with a walker, or they can make stupid decsions that lead to them fighting off walkers on a weekly or bi-weekly basis:D:D,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

snails pace episode after the bar scene.........the snorefest continues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Finally a proper good episode, first 15 mins or so were very exciting and tense and very well done. I actually really like maggie, andrea and carol in that episode! enjoyable episode and hope the new character will be a good addition to the cast and next episode looks AMAZING!

don ramo wrote: »
    good for you richard, one less person to listen to whine for the next 3 years:D

anyway that was great episode no matter what way you look at it, lori was actually ok in this episode, i think shes become a bandwagon for eveyone to jump on, every caracter makes stupid decsions on the show, her was stupid going looking for rick, but at least they played it out somewhat realistically with the two walkers attacking her,

if you want to see more walkers then you kinda have to deal with some caracters making some debatable decisions, its easy to avoid the walkers, they can make easy choices and run around the country for another 3 or 4 season and theyll probably never interact with a walker, or they can make stupid decsions that lead to them fighting off walkers on a weekly or bi-weekly basis:D:D,
    Ye I liked Lori in that episode, she stood up to shane and did well int he car secen and did what she had to do.I also like carol, maggie and andre in the episode too:)All the female characters were very likeable this week imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

really liked this episode myself too.

its nice to see characters that dont just lapse into "badass" mode so herschels reaction to seeing your man get eaten alive, which went on for a fair bit , and glen freezing by the dumpster made it all the more "real".

part of the appeal to me now is i really have no idea where its going character wise

lori for instance is a right bitch in this by the end. yes its reasonably merrited but still the stuff with shane can be sorted if they can just intergrate him into the group again, instead she basically wants to put him down.

still its good to see her get more screen time where she's actually contributing for once.

all of em seem to be going down a dark path in one form or another which is why its nice to see carol trying to reach out to daryl.

next episode does seem to be a good one with the shane rick dynamic coming to a head. the great thing about that though is theyre both right. rick is endangering them by his actions, but he's also stopping them becoming monsters while shane gets results but is losing himself in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

I think this was the first episode of the second season that I actually enjoyed. The next episode
    also looks like it will be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Haha, don't think you've to spoiler your general expectations. Hey, why didn't they just take the gate off its hindges? That would've made things quite boring though, I see what the makers mean now by saying that Sophia's death would create a domino effect. One of the better episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    Haha, don't think you've to spoiler your general expectations. Hey, why didn't they just take the gate off its hindges? That would've made things quite boring though, I see what the makers mean now by saying that Sophia's death would create a domino effect. One of the better episodes.

How would they have fit him in the car with a giant gate on his leg? And what would they use to get the gate off? They don't have time to visit the local store and stock up on some JML gate removal tools, do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Joking, I just mean that the plot being thrown out here, that I assume is meant to create a civil war among our buds, was a bit pointless. Like Hershel stood watching a man loudly shouting and then being eating. It can't just be that Hershel is racist, can it? There are only two races in zombietimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Great to see them follow up on the bar twins group so soon was expecting them to save any confrontation for the finale as has been this shows form in both episode and series format(ie.nothing much happens till the end of eps/midseason break) but maybe that was Darabont's influence, if so I'm glad Glen Mazarra is in charge now. The first 20 mins or so covering the bar siege and Lori's Zombie encounters(the zombie Tooms squeezing his face through the smashed windscreen and loosing half of it in the process was awesome) were some of the tensest best directed scenes the series has done and proved whatever about the reasons for her being out there in the first place Lori isn't a completely useless Damsel in distress cliche.

While the second half of the episode wasn't as action packed as the first It continued the to push the plot/characters forward , Carol after me basically S***ing all over her character for being to weepy refused to let Daryl break her down and retreat into hermitdom , Lori became proactive on the Shane/Rick situation, Andrea told Shane some home truths, and T-Dawg had a line.

looking forward to seeing how next weeks episode pans out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

you CAN do it!

Hope the improvement carries on.
    This episode builds a small bit more on the characters which was always lacking before.
    There's still hope for zombies after all the vampire stuff going around :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Decent episode but will take a lot better episodes to revive this very poor series.
    Some problems though...

Lori hauls ass by herself, but can't look at the road. The three musketeers do battlefield surgery while neck deep in cannibals.

Personally, I hope they find Merle before the season is finished or he comes back into it, as he was an interesting character and could liven this show up a bit and would like to see him and psycho shane collide.

T Dog needs more air time also :pac: What a great performance last night by him. When he said, "WHO THE HELL IS THAT?!?!?" I was blown away. Why is he not a bigger part of the show? I can guarantee that if he was made into a main character, this show would really take off.

Also I think andrea is the most irritating character on the show.

Decent episode but will take a lot better episodes to revive this very poor series.
    not if it keeps pulling in over 7 million viewers each week, its one of if not the highest average rated cabe shows since the sopranos id say,

now i like the walking dead buts its really odd when you clearly have better shows like Game Of thrones getting 2-3 million and breaking bad getting around 1.8 million,

and its even weirder that darabont got fired for asking for more money when his show pull in 3-4 times more viewers than both of AMC "biggest" shows breaking bad and mad men,

its not that the walking dead is poor it just that our expectations are so high with so many other great shows out there,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

not if it keeps pulling in over 7 million viewers each week, its one of if not the highest average rated cabe shows since the sopranos id say,

now i like the walking dead buts its really odd when you clearly have better shows like Game Of thrones getting 2-3 million and breaking bad getting around 1.8 million,

and its even weirder that darabont got fired for asking for more money when his show pull in 3-4 times more viewers than both of AMC "biggest" shows breaking bad and mad men,

I'm beginning to wonder whether someone's hacked the ratings for this show.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder whether someone's hacked the ratings for this show.
    it is very weird

its not that the walking dead is poor it just that our expectations are so high with so many other great shows out there,

Actually its over 8 million views, last ep got 8.2 million viewers, which is just unbelievable really! And its the most viewed cable show in history so actually it ot more viewers than sopranos ever did:eek:Ye it is kind of weird that way better shows are getting much less views, and yet with these sky high rastings theyre having huge budget problems??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Well let's be honest about it,it is not an intelligent show. The writing is very shoddy,as a few people mentioned it is like a soap opera with zombies at times. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, the Wire, the Sopranos etc are all intelligent shows that make you think and force you to follow closely what is going on.

The average person just isn't into that,either because they are not bothered watching something complicated or are of average intelligence. That's not saying everyone who watches the Walking Dead are not intelligent,not at all,its just the ratings would be higher because it can attract that extra group that wouldn't have to want the patience to watch something like Breaking Bad.

tvnutz wrote: »
    Well let's be honest about it,it is not an intelligent show. The writing is very shoddy,as a few people mentioned it is like a soap opera with zombies at times. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, the Wire, the Sopranos etc are all intelligent shows that make you think and force you to follow closely what is going on.

The average person just isn't into that,either because they are not bothered watching something complicated or are of average intelligence. That's not saying everyone who watches the Walking Dead are not intelligent,not at all,its just the ratings would be higher because it can attract that extra group that wouldn't have to want the patience to watch something like Breaking Bad.

Or maybe the zombie genre has a huge cult following? There isn't that many good zombie movies out there bar the Romero ones, SOTD and zombieland which are both more comedies than zombie survival. Ridiculous post IMO.

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    Or maybe the zombie genre has a huge cult following? There isn't that many good zombie movies out there bar the Romero ones, SOTD and zombieland which are both more comedies than zombie survival. Ridiculous post IMO.

That could be part of the reason,but as zombie shows/movies go,its just not very good. It is in no way ridiculous to assume a good a part of the audience are people like I mentioned. Just look at some of the top rated shows on tv, reality tv and even beyond that fluff like CSI was the top rated show for years because it is plain and bland.

The soap opera element is very prevalent in the Walking Dead.

That could be part of the reason,but as zombie shows/movies go,its just not very good. It is in no way ridiculous to assume a good a part of the audience are people like I mentioned. Just look at some of the top rated shows on tv, reality tv and even beyond that fluff like CSI was the top rated show for years because it is plain and bland.

The soap opera element is very prevalent in the Walking Dead.

I don't believe that if there was less of a soap opera element in the show fewer people would watch it. If anything there would probably be more viewers, while I agree alot of the parts of the show are poor, alot of the scenes are also very good. Some of the character development has been excellent, and some of it has been non existent.

The main problems in the show bad scenes/too much talking/plot holes and what not have been highlighted by many people in thread, myself included. If they improved on those things you think less people would watch it, and by people you refer to those with "average or low" intelligence?

Horror survival is my favorite genre, that doesn't mean I don't watch other shows like breaking bad, and IMO for the majority or the viewers The walking dead isn't the only show they watch either, you say so many people watch it cause its for simple people, is quiet an insulting comment to make.

Compare it to online games, Resident Evil, Left 4 dead, dead rising etc. People buy those games because they're zombie survival games, not because they're dumbed down compared to games like Skyrim or whatever.

Anyway I don't want to write an essay about it, but I found your comment about people watching it cause it suits "people of average" intelligence a little insulting.

I think 99% of the shows allure is the zombie survival element. No matter what happens as long as there is zombies in it the show will have a huge following.

Probably explains why the writing is so crap, they had a hit tv show with the concept alone and very little effort was required to get it onto the screen regards writing seeing as they had the comics for a blueprint.

If they improved on those things you think less people would watch it, and by people you refer to those with "average or low" intelligence?

In fairness its not exactly high brow entertainment or a portrait of the soul of the human being. Its a zombie apocalypse show with rather crap characters and terrible writing. I dont think it would lose any viewers by upping the quality of the other aspects as long as they give enough time to the zombie aspect.

But as a viewer and a fan of the genre myself I take no offence to someone saying most US viewers are "easily entertained" and this type of show will attract more of those types of viewers than other types of shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I think the network at first would have been aprehensive about giving a large budget to a horror show,

Sure you can do it with true blood as the buffy formula proved vampires are good sellers.

With the walking dead it was untested water, it was a show about zombies based on a comic book and was a gamble and it seems that gamble has paid off,

Saying that season 3 should have a bigger budget now, but will people be moaning about them having a bigger budget, will that mean them travelling to a new location every 2nd episode and the pace changing.

At the moment they're working with what they have and the slow burn of the first half of the season seems to be paying off now as we can get the characters set up and see how they're changing in front of us. If it was to happen over 2/3 episodes people would be giving out saying they're losing they're humanity too fast they've only been on the farm a few days.

The mental toil of

-looking for the girl,
    - Daryl almost getting killed,
    - finding the barn,
    - finding the little girl,
    - Carl being shot,
    - Lori's pregnancy,
    - Otis being murdered

That is all taking it toll now and we're seeing the ramifications of this in this second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

Am sick of it. Gonna watch one more episode and if I don't enjoy it then bye bye. Was never any development on that jet that Rick saw fly over in one of the opening episodes either. The writers (is writer even the correct word here?) must have forgotten about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

he's also stopped the nightly walkie talkie contact with the black dude who shot the wifezombie in the first episode, he promised he keep him updtaed on his progress :(

on the plane thing, I don't know how they'd find out anything about it?

no TV/Radio, the guy in the CDC was a suicidal whacko, Herschel doesn't seem to have any TV or Radio on his farm and doesn't seem very concerned with anything outside of his own bubble anyway, they seem to have been practically Ahmish before The Gang arrived, and the two lads in the bar didn't last long enough to ask.

Fair enough, it may have been mentioned within The Gang, but we can't see every conversation.

You're right though, it does look as though the writers have forgotten about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I know there have been some grumblings about the likes of Daryl and T-Dog being under-utilised but
    I don't think Shane has too long left in the show, the word is that Jon Bernthal could be signing up to Frank Darabont's new show LA Noir
    this show is going to run for a while yet and characters will come and go.

As someone who has never been into horror/zombie stuff before I have to say I'm very impressed with the show. Yes, my patience has been stretched a bit this season but I think the last two episodes have been a huge improvement and it's onwards and upwards now for me. The bar scene in the episode 9 was incredibly well-done, it was so tense. I watched it a couple more times and it was still edge of the seat stuff.

I confidently predict the final four episodes of this season will make for excellent viewing :cool:

The bar scene in the episode 9 was incredibly well-done, it was so tense. I watched it a couple more times and it was still edge of the seat stuff.

:

Very true. I think peoples perceptions are a bit clouded at this stage. If this had been a scene from Breaking Bad, people would be jizzing themselves over it. But because it's attached to TWD, people dismiss it. It had great tension and was very well shot.

Obviously Breaking Bad is a far superior show so no argument there, but I just thought it was worth pointing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Very true. I think peoples perceptions are a bit clouded at this stage. If this had been a scene from Breaking Bad, people would be jizzing themselves over it. But because it's attached to TWD, people dismiss it. It had great tension and was very well shot.

Obviously Breaking Bad is a far superior show so no argument there, but I just thought it was worth pointing out.

I haven't had a chance to watch Breaking Bad yet :o but I think it's next on my (long) list.

I haven't had a chance to watch Breaking Bad yet :o but I think it's next on my (long) list.

If it's not number one on that list........the list is wrong! :p

• Advertisement

Anyway I don't want to write an essay about it, but I found your comment about people watching it cause it suits "people of average" intelligence a little insulting.

Well I don't wish to point out your lack of observation skills but this is exactly what I didn't say. In fact I made sure to point this out. I watch this show. I enjoy it for what it is.

Clearly you have taken this personally and assuming I am calling anyone who watches this show of average intelligence. I clearly stated I believed that is the reason it has such higher ratings than top quality shows like Breaking Bad because a portion of the viewers would be attracted to its soap opera element and its easy to follow nature. It is not a complicated show. This does attract viewers for shows. However I clearly stated that not everyone who watches it is of average intelligence. Perhaps you should read the post clearly before jumping the gun and getting offended about something I never said. Like I pointed out, I watch this show and enjoy it for what it is. I think it has the potential to be so much better, but I do watch it weekly. I was hardly insulting myself now was I?

I think everyone pointed out how good that scene was,they just mentioned it was the only good part of the episode. There is a difference there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I think everyone pointed out how good that scene was,they just mentioned it was the only good part of the episode. There is a difference there.

I'm pretty sure it was the only good scene in Season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I wonder if there would be more Internet buzz about TWD if it was getting piss poor ratings. Certainly strikes me as a critical victim of its own success.

I don't think anyone expects it to be the greatest show ever, just a bit of mindless fun. As someone else said here, if the characters didn't make stupid decisions, the whole series would involve them sitting on the farm keeping watch and chatting. What do you want? Hyper-intelligent characters who do nothing or slightly thick characters who get in stand-offs with the remaining few living humans left while zombies chase both down?

It's a bit of harmless fun guys, something different...let's not compare it to Breaking Bad, Mad Men or The Sopranos. That's ridiculous: it's not trying to be any of them.

leggo wrote: »
    I wonder if there would be more Internet buzz about TWD if it was getting piss poor ratings. Certainly strikes me as a critical victim of its own success.

I don't think anyone expects it to be the greatest show ever, just a bit of mindless fun. As someone else said here, if the characters didn't make stupid decisions, the whole series would involve them sitting on the farm keeping watch and chatting. What do you want? Hyper-intelligent characters who do nothing or slightly thick characters who get in stand-offs with the remaining few living humans left while zombies chase both down?

Its not an either/or option though and currently we are getting neither anyway.

The stupid decisions are not being made to lead to great action, you can clearly see they use them to further the plot. Daryl could have gone after the guys, flipped the car, fought off a load of zombies and showed up in time to stick an arrow in the back of the head of one of the other gang. Great action/mindless fun or whatever.

But they chose to have Lori to go out so Shane could get her and lie and it would further the Shane/Lori/Rick story line. If they are gonna push the plot on in this manner then the least they could do is hire someone who can flippin write !! Good writing should be expected in every show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a bit of harmless fun guys, something different...let's not compare it to Breaking Bad, Mad Men or The Sopranos. That's ridiculous: it's not trying to be any of them.

But... that's exactly what is happening. That's the problem. :)

Fair enough, whatever way I read your post my initial interpretation is that you didn't take the massive cult following that the zombie genre has into consideration. You said that may be a part of it. I think its the main part. You clarified that because the show is simple it has an extra group of followers, I agree with that.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Actually its over 8 million views, last ep got 8.2 million viewers, which is just unbelievable really! And its the most viewed cable show in history so actually it ot more viewers than sopranos ever did:eek:Ye it is kind of weird that way better shows are getting much less views, and yet with these sky high rastings theyre having huge budget problems??:confused:
    actually the sopranos averaged over 8 million viewers for 4 seasons, over 10 for season 4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sopranos#Ratings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

pixelburp wrote: »

But... that's exactly what is happening. That's the problem. :)

You need to catch up about 4 episodes before you comment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You need to catch up about 4 episodes before you comment.
    Well your condescension is charming, but I'm afraid I am completely up to date on the show, and been posting happily on this thread.

Not sure what you're seeing that a lot of us aren't, but 90% of series 2 has consisted of scenes set on Hershels farm as the cast alternated between bickering about the search for Sofia, or simply bickering between themselves. You don't need stupid characters to drive the narrative forward - if the writers were in any way half-competent they wouldn't need to make such ludicrously arbitrary decisions such as Lori deciding to go for a drive into town :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement