Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

A friend of mine needed me to collect a car for him and for the first time in months I went out and even though I was thinking of my panic I actually was very calm.

Strange feeling actually lol.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I did not. Step too far I'm afraid but glad I even considered it (and went to the preliminary session in the pool).

Even the fact you considered it is progress. Its one step at a time. Hope your ok mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

cheers man, head down, hopes high

cheers man, head down, hopes high

Onwards and upwards. Hopefully when we get past the long nights and the crappy weather things will get easier for us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

Finally plucked up the courage to go to the student counselling service in NUIG and now I feel worse because of it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    Finally plucked up the courage to go to the student counselling service in NUIG and now I feel worse because of it. :(

What happened K? :-/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hey Kayleigh what happened?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Had a bit of time to process things since yesterday's counselling session. The therapist did a lot of explaining things to me. One of the things that's standing out the most is something I'd heard over and over and over again but I didn't really "get" - being nice to yourself. In the past I've been successful by being hard on myself rather than being nice to myself, so being told to be nice made no sense really.

He used an analogy that if you were minding a child who was upset you'd take lots of time and patience and be really nice to them while you're trying to calm them down. Shouting at them won't make them less upset. When something causes me to become really anxious, the instinctive parts of the brain are like the upset child, and it's only with being nice and having patience that that can be calmed down. I've probably phrased it really badly (and possibly incorrectly), but I guess it made the whole "nice" thing click for me.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting this here tbh. I guess it's a bit like thinking out loud. I think that sorta thing though is what makes me hopeful that this time counselling is going to be good for me. I could never just trust what was said and do it unquestioningly, but now that it's explained and makes sense to be (on a theoretical level at least), I think it'll be easier for me to accept that the things I'm being told to work on might just be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Is it possible to actually get rid of the anxiety/depression for good? it just seems like a massive task.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

He used an analogy that if you were minding a child who was upset you'd take lots of time and patience and be really nice to them while you're trying to calm them down. Shouting at them won't make them less upset. When something causes me to become really anxious, the instinctive parts of the brain are like the upset child, and it's only with being nice and having patience that that can be calmed down. I've probably phrased it really badly (and possibly incorrectly), but I guess it made the whole "nice" thing click for me.

My psychologist gave me that same analogy last week and it made such perfect sense, it blew my mind :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

Hi guys. Has anyone experienced this? I am going for counselling - on my second session and she's really nice. She said I am going to feel worse before I feel better - this week was my worst. I suppose because we were "stiring the pot" and bring old things up. But my anxiety was through the roof and racing thoughts etc

Is this normal? Maybe I went in a bit clueless and thought it gets easier now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Has anyone experienced this? I am going for counselling - on my second session and she's really nice. She said I am going to feel worse before I feel better - this week was my worst. I suppose because we were "stiring the pot" and bring old things up. But my anxiety was through the roof and racing thoughts etc

Is this normal? Maybe I went in a bit clueless and thought it gets easier now.

To me this is perfectly normal pecker.
    You're bringing up feelings and thoughts that for the most are not nice scary and hard to deal with.
    I found it draining to say the least. but after a few sessions you should start to feel like a weight being lifted.
    I truly hope it works well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Pie and Mash

maplesyrup wrote: »
    I've been suffering from anxiety and panic disorder for the last few months. Today my doctor prescribed Citalopram. I'm just relieved that finally I'm doing something "real" about the problem.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experiences, good or bad, when taking this to treat anxiety?

This has been my life saver for the past 8 years, though I'm coming off it at the moment and trying Cymbalta to treat both anxiety/depression and Fibro.

Shortly after starting ciprimil the physical signs (sweating,shaking etc) disappeared which accelerated calm in my mind, I have nothing bad to say about these meds. Lots of luck x

This has been my life saver for the past 8 years, though I'm coming off it at the moment and trying Cymbalta to treat both anxiety/depression and Fibro.

Shortly after starting ciprimil the physical signs (sweating,shaking etc) disappeared which accelerated calm in my mind, I have nothing bad to say about these meds. Lots of luck x

Good for you. Meds serve their purpose. Glad you feel better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

Just on the topic of meds,

My main issue is lack of concentration and fatigue.
    I feel that this is brought on by some psychological condition, though I don't feel explicitly depressed.

Went on prozac 40mg before, but no effect.
    Psychiatrist wanted me to go on another med but was hesitant.
    Now being housebound, I'm more open to trying anything.

Is it the experience of those here that meds could help alleviate tiredness and help get one out and about a little more?

I feel that this is brought on by some psychological condition, though I don't feel explicitly depressed.

Is it the experience of those here that meds could help alleviate tiredness and help get one out and about a little more?

CBT might be something you could look at? Med's have a place but are not always needed.

Really don't know about alleviating the tiredness. The tiredness could be a sub symptom of the depression it's self.
    Have you been on ur anti d's long.

I second the above poster re talk therapy and CBT.
    Remember its not a race to get better. Take your time and baby steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Think I might talk to the psych team about upping my meds. Prob should have brought it up when I saw the consultant last week, but I hadn't really considered it. But I think I need to - my mood has been really low this past while (after a period where it was really up and down) and I can't seem to get myself out of it :/

How is everyone this evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Not too good. I got some news earlier which has upset me. And the day was going fine before that. C'est la vie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Not too good. I got some news earlier which has upset me. And the day was going fine before that. C'est la vie

Sorry to hear that. Is there anyone you can chat with about the bad news?

• Advertisement

I'll be ok once I calm down. It just my take a few days. Sometimes i really hate this life. Its not bad news in the real sense. it's just me getting upset over something that is a sore point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

That's crap greenfrogs. Hope things start to look up soon.

Think I might talk to the psych team about upping my meds. Prob should have brought it up when I saw the consultant last week, but I hadn't really considered it. But I think I need to - my mood has been really low this past while (after a period where it was really up and down) and I can't seem to get myself out of it :/

How is everyone this evening?

Im sorry to hear that, upping the meds is definitley an option. Especially when ur mood is unstable for a long time. How often do u see ur doctor/psychiatrist

Hi all - I'm seeing a counceller every week for my anxiety/fear but I find the weeks so long - she recommended twice a week but I can't afford it €50 a pop) is anyone else like this? I'm not on meds - I want to deal with it myself - What does everyone do to elevate the anxiety x

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Hi all - I'm seeing a counceller every week for my anxiety/fear but I find the weeks so long - she recommended twice a week but I can't afford it €50 a pop) is anyone else like this? I'm not on meds - I want to deal with it myself - What does everyone do to elevate the anxiety x

Exercise if you can even a good walk can help and the 478 breath technique

The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise
    This exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
    Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
    Hold your breath for a count of seven.
    Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
    This is one breath.
    Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for total of four breaths.

Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens - before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.

Hope that helps

Thank you so much - will defo give it a try x

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Second part of assessment for dbt course tomorrow morning after work.. I'm both eager to get going and terrified.

Second part of assessment for dbt course tomorrow morning after work.. I'm both eager to get going and terrified.

Best of luck with that grem. How was the first part, did u get an idea of what its going to be like?

I got a general idea of the content but no real feel for it as it was one on one. However the layout seems well thought out so I'm hoping for good things from it..

• Advertisement

How does it differ from other treatments? Also what requirements do you have to meet to get this therapy?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement