Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2015 at Royal County Down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ronjo

Not sure if mentioned before but Sergio just tweeted that he isn't playing the BMW PGA as he committed to McIlroy that he would play the Irish Open.

Edit. I see it was mentioned at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

ronjo wrote: »
    Not sure if mentioned before but Sergio just tweeted that he isn't playing the BMW PGA as he committed to McIlroy that he would play the Irish Open.

Edit. I see it was mentioned at the start.

Fair play to him for deciding to forgo the European Tour's flagship event and a whole lot more prize money as a favour to Rory. Looking forward to seeing him back playing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

HighLine wrote: »
    Fair play to him for deciding to forgo the European Tour's flagship event and a whole lot more prize money as a favour to Rory. Looking forward to seeing him back playing here.

Why can't he just play both?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Is there not an onus on players to play the flagship, thought I read that somewhere sometime, something to do with guys on PGA tour maybe?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

a mere 6 weeks away now...
    The field now includes five current or former players who have reached the pinnacle of the World Ranking – current Number One Rory McIlroy, Donald, Ernie Els, Kaymer and Lee Westwood – and eight Major Champions in McIlroy, Els, Kaymer, Darren Clarke, Padraig Harrington, Graeme McDowell, Paul Lawrie and José Maria Olazábal.

Between them, those eight players have shared no fewer than 16 Major titles. The event now carries the most Official World Golf Ranking points since its inception while the holders of three of the four ‘Grand Slam’ tournaments will be in the field – Kaymer (US Open) and McIlroy (The Open and US PGA).

The importance of the event on The Race to Dubai schedule is further signified by the presence of seven current or former European Number Ones – Donald, Els, Harrington, Kaymer, McIlroy, Westwood and Robert Karlsson.

253639_ORIG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

The line up now is just fabulous! Can't wait to go. Have my ticket for the Sunday, just hope some of the big players are contending, be an awful shame if half of them missed the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

What a line up :) delighted I picked this year as my first year to travel to the open :) hope they are all still around on the Sunday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

shaunac93 wrote: »
    What a line up :) delighted I picked this year as my first year to travel to the open :) hope they are all still around on the Sunday now.

Same as that, just booked my tickets now, can't wait :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm beginning to regret not planing this now -

Didn't know or expect that good a field.

Should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm gonna go Friday... just in case a few miss the cut :D
    Will stay over friday night, somewhere... back seat of the car if I have to :rolleyes:!... Well I'll have to won't I with all the drinking I'll be doing in the clubhouse after the golf :eek:
    Will get an early start then for the Saturday, but have kiddie stuff to do Sunday morning, so I'll have to go home Sat night and make my way back up Sunday afternoon for the Finale.

Really really really looking forward to it now, I just hope we get the same weather that we had last year down in Cork.

Whacky Trousers anyone :D

879386.jpg

Seve OB wrote: »
    Whacky Trousers anyone :D[/IMG]

The vertical stripes suit you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dwayned

guys not sure if its posted (didn't see it anyway)

link below is to Translink's site who will be doing shuttle buses etc on the day from Newcastle and other info for people coming from Newry/Belfast etc - in case some of you are staying up here and are not aware of public transport routes etc

http://www.translink.co.uk/Special-Offers/irish-open/

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

For the last few irish opens the easiest transport has been to drive and park in free carpark at the course but this year will probably be different considering the lack of space around the course and the terrible roads around Newcastle. It's really in the middle of nowhere. I can just envisage hours of traffic jams the whole way to newry each evening. Seems that the most sensible option for anyone coming from the south is the park and ride in Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

For the last few irish opens the easiest transport has been to drive and park in free carpark at the course but this year will probably be different considering the lack of space around the course and the terrible roads around Newcastle. It's really in the middle of nowhere. I can just envisage hours of traffic jams the whole way to newry each evening. Seems that the most sensible option for anyone coming from the south is the park and ride in Newry.

Yeah this isnot strictly true, its a long way to newry from newcastle so hard to envisage traffic jams that long.

You can swing off to castlewellan and come in that way instead of turning off for newcastle at hilltown.

Also just as easy keep going down the A1 and take a turn off for ballynahinch and come up through downpatrick then jump on the shuttle bus from there as there is a reasonably large bus station.

Nuclear option is to head for belfast and get the shuttle bus.

Loads of options apart from driving straight at newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 BorderGap

Reviewing the Translink serice for the Open it looks like the bus service from Newry to Newcastle is not operating on the Sunday. Am I reading that incorrectly are is that a serious "balls-up"?

BorderGap wrote: »
    Reviewing the Translink serice for the Open it looks like the bus service from Newry to Newcastle is not operating on the Sunday. Am I reading that incorrectly are is that a serious "balls-up"?

foook! looking at the timetable section, No. it says that there is no bus on Sunday which is mad.

I will tweet them, as there are buses on the Sunday from Belfast and Armagh as well as Portadown. Where are you coming from?

6qs30t96t

Newry

they got back to me, they are looking into it....

golf.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice one dwayned, cant believe they would miss an opportunity like that.

Maybe we should have hired a coach ourselves and advertised a Sunday service from Newry :-)

lol yeah they got back again after that and explained that because the service has just been announced they wan to make sure its not an error on their part

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

so...there is no bus to book online for the Sunday but there is a bus operating see below for tweet from translink.

Translink ‏@Translink_NI 2m2 minutes ago
    @dougied1982 Dwayne, there is no special service to book online from Newry on the Sunday. 240/a will operate however http://ow.ly/LQ3i0

http://journeyplanner.translink.co.uk/ext_webpdf_desk/TTB/20150415-100826/nir/080240y15_TP.pdf

..been said before and no doubt again, Irish Open should be on links, players can go anywhere in Europe to play parkland courses, the Open in RCD is attracting the players this year (in fairness hard to ignore Rory's input) and Ireland should be offering its USP to the world golf market, I doubt visitors from overseas (with respect) will take a golf trip to Ireland to play Lough Erne..
    Bad move IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Tickets booked for the friday : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Staying in castleblaney now canceled Portrush Doh! booked a round in Concra woods Friday afternoon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 antthekiddie86

Anyone interested in accomodation for the Thursday Friday and Saturday in the slieve donard hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Any idea what the first tee time will be on the Saturday morn post-cut?
    8.00am?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Any idea what the first tee time will be on the Saturday morn post-cut?
    8.00am?

Last year it was 6:45am, the year before 7:15am

Advertisement