Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spartacus: War Of The Damned [Starz - US] **Spoilers!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

dave1982 wrote: »
    Really liking Marcus Crassus great character, the new Spartacus I just can't get into him :(

RIP Andy Whitfield :)

I'm the same, while he is perfectly serviceable he is not "my" spartacus when he talked of the loss of Sura with Mira last season I didn't feel as much empathy as I should as there was an emotional disconnect there as this was not the Spartacus in whose arms we had seen Sura die, and similarly there was a lack of catharsis for me when Crixus was reunited with Naeivia as this wasn't the woman we had seen torn from his side in B&S.

As for last night's episode I thought it was a very strong opener :

- that opening scene put to bed any doubts I had that the show could handle the epic scope that would be required this season, everything from the cgi to the scoring was perfect.

- as a history buff I loved that they referenced the wider roman world and the challenges if faced name checking mithradates and pompey.

-loved the Crassus in training scenes and the not so veiled barbs he threw the visiting senators way when he came to visit him in the midst of one of them.

- spartacus learning that while he has the measure of the Romans he has a thing or two to learn about administering to the needs of an army.

- the fight and death of hilaro at the hands of Crassus was surprisingly touching considering they were only introduced this episode and is a testemant to how good the both the writing and the actor they have brought in as Crassus is.

- the reveal near the end that Crassus had played everyone for chumps to get exactly what he wanted (to the point spartacus ends up facilitating the advancement of his ultimate nemesis into a position of power) is pretty awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Really liking Marcus Crassus great character, the new Spartacus I just can't get into him :(

RIP Andy Whitfield :)

Crassus is a great character, looking forward to Caeser too. Not a fan of Liam McIntrye though, he's like a B grade actor in and A grade series and just drags it down a notch, just isnt good enough to take the role for himself. Crixus, Agron and Gannicus as well as the Romans still hold the quality together pretty well though but the whole Spartacus the hero thing died with Andy for me.

Crassus is a great character, looking forward to Caeser too. Not a fan of Liam McIntrye though, he's like a B grade actor in and A grade series and just drags it down a notch, just isnt good enough to take the role for himself. Crixus, Agron and Gannicus as well as the Romans still hold the quality together pretty well though but the whole Spartacus the hero thing died with Andy for me.

Andy had a quite whispered gravitas whenever he spoke whereas Liam whether intentional or not delivers his anti Rome monologues like he's the trailer narration guy and it comes off a bit hammy, he needs to tone it down a notch or two and treat them like the rest of his scenes like the scene with gannicus which I thought was quite an effective scene for both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You cant lay the blame squarely at Liam's feet. I mean, yes the actor just isn't very good but you have to couple this with the fact that the character isn't central to the show anymore. In season 1, Spartacus was central to everything going on. He was in nearly every scene, and the focus of most scenes he wasn't, even peripherally. Only really Crixus and Naeivia's affair had nothing to do with him. Everything else did.

Also, he wasn't the god he is now. He got beat up alot. He was fighting for his wife....and then for revenge upon her death. The narrative was interesting. Now, he's bringing down Rome. A bit less personal. And there is never any danger of him being bested in battle which kind of kills the tension. I mean, obviously you knew he wasnt going to die. But losing a fight was a possibility. Not anymore.

I kind of just ignore him now. :o And he's the main character! I mean, all he has done in the past two seasons is give a monologue or two and roar at the camera while he swings his sword. :p It's partly the actor and partly the writing of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

i think starz and deknight lost faith/interest once andy past away, he was the heart and soul of the show, but i agree sparty has morphed into an ensemble show and there are many interesting characters.

i do wonder moving the show past the ludus in season 1 was a mistake...yeah they couldnt stay there forever, but i think one more season of ludus could have been great.

• Advertisement

i think starz and deknight lost faith/interest once andy past away, he was the heart and soul of the show, but i agree sparty has morphed into an ensemble show and there are many interesting characters.

i do wonder moving the show past the ludus in season 1 was a mistake...yeah they couldnt stay there forever, but i think one more season of ludus could have been great.

We kinda got that in Gods of War tho didn't we .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

What is the reference to the golden eagle about, Spartacus was surrounded by them in one scene.

I'm sure I seen a film before about the golden eagle but can't think what is the reason to the golden eagle.Is it a Roman symbol ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

What is the reference to the golden eagle about, Spartacus was surrounded by them in one scene.

I'm sure I seen a film before about the golden eagle but can't think what is the reason to the golden eagle.Is it a Roman symbol ?

Aquila

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

a good return, but it really is a shame that they killed all the good bad guys the last few seasons, Batiatus was a great bad guy, and exited the show far to early, Ashur was another one, and i always loved Illithia,

i dunno if the new guy can live up to the 3 of them, i like him already, hes off to a good start, and he comes across as very devious, and will do anything to get ahead,

was reading earlier that it returned to lower viewers than last year (2.5mill, compared to 2.7mill last season), and there is talk about if this season performs well that STARZ will make a similar series based on Cesar, who is suppose to come into the show soon,

happy its back:), but sad that a lot of my favorite characters are dead:(

don ramo wrote: »
    a good return, but it really is a shame that they killed all the good bad guys the last few seasons, Batiatus was a great bad guy, and exited the show far to early, Ashur was another one, and i always loved Illithia,

i dunno if the new guy can live up to the 3 of them, i like him already, hes off to a good start, and he comes across as very devious, and will do anything to get ahead,

was reading earlier that it returned to lower viewers than last year (2.5mill, compared to 2.7mill last season), and there is talk about if this season performs well that STARZ will make a similar series based on Cesar, who is suppose to come into the show soon,

happy its back:), but sad that a lot of my favorite characters are dead:(

Nobody will ever quite match Batiatus and Ashur for sheer deviousness and entertainment value but Crassus even after only one episode is already a far more entertaining and viable threat to Spartacus then the dour Glaber ever was , add Caesar to the mix (assuming he is written aswell as Crassus) and I feel they could be the making of this series for people like me who found Liam wanting and Glaber lacking last season . Based on this opening episode at least one side of that equation has been addressed, and as for the other, Liam could yet grow on me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think this one episode is already better than all of last season. I thought last season really suffered from the lack of Batiatus, and the whole season just seemed aimless and unfocused. Of course the tragedy of loosing Andy Whitfield explains some of that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

We kinda got that in Gods of War tho didn't we .

You mean Gods of the Arena. :) though I was thinking a God of War series with the Spartcaus type dialogue would be cool, hearing Kratos shouting the Batiatus type lines. :D

Glad to have it back. was beginning to miss the over the top violence(crushing that head at the beginning), over the top sex(Foursome!!!) and over the top creative swearing. Oh and the plot and characters as a bonus. :D

I'm not up on my history so please no one post spoilers here, but going by what happened in this episode I think Gannicus's drinking will result in either his or someone else's death, the way that soldier managed to get away from him and would've escaped were it not for Spartacus's spear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

By Jupiters cock that was a good first episode!

Last season was very average so this episode is encouraging

Crassus is a great character, that was very devious what he did when he sent his own man to deliver the message
    I never realised it at all until the end

Caesar seems pretty bad ass. Liked that episode a lot.

I'm liking the development of Spartacus from Fighter to a Leader of Men more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

what channel is it on guys?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

konman wrote: »
    what channel is it on guys?

:o what is the first rule of fight club....? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,846 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its actually starting on sky soon I think

this month anyway

edit

here ya go

http://sky1.sky.com/spartacus-war-of-the-damned/spartacus-goes-to-war-on-feb-11th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

what was going on in that scene? The one with
    the bj and knife
    ?

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

evil_seed wrote: »
    the bj and knife
    ?

also wasnt sure what was going on there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I just realised I'm really going to miss this when it's over. So many simply brilliant characters, unforgettable moments and raw entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

evil_seed wrote: »
    the bj and knife
    ?

He was getting rid of a few 'souvenirs' he picked up on his travels,Tiberius mentioned it when he walked in on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

zerks wrote: »
    He was getting rid of a few 'souvenirs' he picked up on his travels,Tiberius mentioned it when he walked in on him.

Tiberius says "years abroad led you to strange pleasures" as if he thinks it's something kinky. I read that we will find out in the 4th episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Good first episode, hope the rest of the series is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tiberius says "years abroad led you to strange pleasures" as if he thinks it's something kinky. I read that we will find out in the 4th episode.
    I took it to mean he was having genital warts lanced or something but they both seemed to be enjoying it, honestly no idea WTF was supposed to be going on in that scene :confused:

Thargor wrote: »
    I took it to mean he was having genital warts lanced or something but they both seemed to be enjoying it, honestly no idea WTF was supposed to be going on in that scene :confused:

haha now we know , gotta say love the forethought they seem to be putting into this season both in terms of the little details like this and the broader scope , if it maintains this sort of form till the end of the season it will be up there with Blood&Sand as the best season of the show for me. The certainty that comes with a set end date seems to have set the writers mind to purpose .

Sidenote : Kudos to the actress who took over the role of Naeivia , she took alot of stick from some quarters last year but is kicking some serious butt so far this season , I question if the previous actress could have played this new kick ass version of the character as convincingly.

After his scene with Fabia I am now officially onboard with the rumoured Caesar spinoff , turns out Todd has the chops to go with the swagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Not impressed with the 4th ep. Awful episode. All round. From the dialogue which felt especially stilted this week.... to the fight scenes.... to the general poor pacing.

I like the show but this was the first time I actually thought to myself "I'm bored" while watching an episode. This is definitely not the same show as season 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Not sure how you managed that tbh, that was the best episode in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I reckon we will see main characters dying off in the next few episodes, Naeivia hopefully will be the 1st.Who will end up killing Spartacus is anyones guess now

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Kirby wrote: »
    Not impressed with the 4th ep. Awful episode. All round. From the dialogue which felt especially stilted this week.... to the fight scenes.... to the general poor pacing.

I like the show but this was the first time I actually thought to myself "I'm bored" while watching an episode. This is definitely not the same show as season 1.

What!!!!!!!!

Was an absolutely incredible episode, without a doubt the best episode of Spartacus that remains in my memory. Brilliant progression in both camps.

I am, however, waiting for the thorn of Naeivia (wannabe Xena) to just die, or something to happen that won't have Crixus moaning and moping.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Compak wrote: »
    What!!!!!!!!

Was an absolutely incredible episode, without a doubt the best episode of Spartacus that remains in my memory. Brilliant progression in both camps.

I am, however, waiting for the thorn of Naeivia (wannabe Xena) to just die, or something to happen that won't have Crixus moaning and moping.

Have to agree. I was totally gripped by that episode.
    I was still waiting (still am) for one once slave character though to get her deserved comeuppance.

Caesar is turning out to be a right clever Iago (see Shakespeare - not the cartoon character!).

Advertisement