Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Worth a mention too is cafe twenty twenty in Dunleer. Great takeaway menu. Seafood pasta is really good and lovely chicken wings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

So we are all agreed, there is no shortage of decent pizza! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭gipi

So we are all agreed, there is no shortage of decent pizza! :)

Such a shame I can't eat it! (Food intolerance - I can't eat cheese!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭furiousox

You can make yourself a nice pizza without using cheese.
    Pizza base, nice rich pizza sauce and toppings of your choice. :)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

Can someone suggest a good chinese takeaway in Drogheda?

Also, from my limited online searching as far as I can tell there's nowhere that sells burritos/tex-mex in Drogheda.
    Is that correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

JethroC wrote: »

Also, from my limited online searching as far as I can tell there's nowhere that sells burritos/tex-mex in Drogheda.
    Is that correct?

Ming Garden in trinity street is decent, woks cooking was good not sure now, golden bowl hardmans gardens also good.

furiousox wrote: »
    You can make yourself a nice pizza without using cheese.
    Pizza base, nice rich pizza sauce and toppings of your choice. :)

I used to get cheese-free pizzas made up in Superquinn, way back in the day!
    Can't tolerate pizza (tomato) sauce either, so my pizza days are over, :)

Is that correct?

I enjoy the grub from Kitchen Legend - you can order online via their own app.
    Bamboo Gate in Southgate - it was run by the people who used to run Woks Cooking (don't know if it's still run by them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

+1 for Kitchen Legend (order online) and I've tried most of them over the years.
    Ming Garden is good, but I think KL is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Mala on Dominic street the best salt and pepper goodness in the town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

gipi wrote: »
    I enjoy the grub from Kitchen Legend - you can order online via their own app.
    Bamboo Gate in Southgate - it was run by the people who used to run Woks Cooking (don't know if it's still run by them)

For those that remember Karen from the old Woks Cookin - we found her last year, in her nephews chinese takeaway in Carrickmacross in Monaghan.

We were heading up to my Father in Laws house and said we would bring a chinese takeaway up to him. It was pot luck as to which one to go to, there's maybe 3 or 4 of them in the town, we looked in the window of one and then drove around the corner to the next one. Husband went in and came straight back out laughing his head off and told me I had to get out of the car and go in and see who was in there. Same spiel, same old Karen. Said she was just helping him out for a while. Don't know at this stage if she's still there, must check again when normality resumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

It’s not a restaurant but it is a take away and qualifies in these times , the wee BBQ Chuck wagon at Mc Governs garage at killineer is top class.
    All cooked fresh ribs, burgers proper big hotdogs hence a wee wait, and free coffee..
    One of the best takeaway teas our family had in months.
    Highly recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

moonshadow wrote: »
    It’s not a restaurant but it is a take away and qualifies in these times , the wee BBQ Chuck wagon at Mc Governs garage at killineer is top class.
    All cooked fresh ribs, burgers proper big hotdogs hence a wee wait, and free coffee..
    Highly recommend.

Must check that out for Breakfast tomorrow.

Has anyone tried the fish & chips from the new hut on Clogherhead Beach this weekend ?
    Think it’s called The Beach Hut , had an Ariosta coffee from there during the week , very nice .

moonshadow wrote: »
    Highly recommend.

Can you order ahead?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Can you order ahead?

Here's their Facebook page, includes a phone number, maybe give them a shout to check about advance orders

https://www.facebook.com/BBQ-Steaks-Burgers-110625694192216/

(No connection, just spotted it on FB a few weeks ago when they moved from the N33)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Can you order ahead?

Yes we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Has anyone eaten from the 2 new fish takeaways in Drogheda ?

Supercod- towards the top of peter street
    Funkyfish - down at the river on the quays beside constitution hill.

Might try one of them out this weekend, that place down the quay has been a takeaway restaurant a few times now,for some reason it doesn't inspire me to eat out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭darklighter

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Has anyone eaten from the 2 new fish takeaways in Drogheda ?

Supercod- towards the top of peter street
    Funkyfish - down at the river on the quays beside constitution hill.

Might try one of them out this weekend, that place down the quay has been a takeaway restaurant a few times now,for some reason it doesn't inspire me to eat out of it.

Went down to try FunkyFish a couple of wks ago but they didnt have the card machine up & running & i had no cash on me....in fairness the girl behind the counter suggested ordering online in the shop, but i had no phone with me so no go there, so i wont be too hard on them for the lack of card machine. I know what you mean by its location, but when you go in, its well presented & looks clean so i wouldnt let that bother me.

Did get Supercod on Friday evening & was impressed. Again, no card machine working yet but i did have cash this time! Ordered Scampi & Chips, Calamari & Chips & 2 portions of Onion Rings. Was told it would be 15 mins wait, so im assuming it was all freshly cooked, because it tasted that way - all the batter was light & crispy. Nicest chipper onion rings ive had, and the other stuff was very tasty as well. The large gluten free menu will probably mean it will become our go-to chipper if it lasts

Noticed that place on the quays had a rebrand lately when I was by on the bike. Wouldn't be around that part of town at night/evenings at all so I've no idea when it was last open??? Think it was kebabs in it's last incarnation, but again no idea if they were trading recently or years ago.

Might give them and the other place a try, I like fish and chips but the places near us the chips are great but the fish is rubbish. fresh/smoked cod/not cod in crappy batter and way over priced.

Had Supercod this evening. Went for the plain old fresh cod and chips. €9.50 for fish, chips, and sauce but no drink included. It was nice. Will definitely be going again.

• Advertisement

Went to twenty twenty in dunleer last night. One of their specials this week is beef stragonoff. Has to be the nicest food I've eaten in a long long time. Highly recommend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

Tried funky fish along the quays at the weekend.
    Got cod n chips, good portion, nice batter but the fish tasted as though it was in the depths of a freezer for a year! The missus got a burger n said it was lovely, chips were nice too.
    There's a new fish place on peter st I'll give a go. After that it's clogherhead pier or nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

There’s a new fish and chip wagon out at the beach in Clogherhead, beside the lifeboat station, It’s very good. The one down by the pier hasn’t opened this year or last for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

prionnsias wrote: »
    There’s a new fish and chip wagon out at the beach in Clogherhead, beside the lifeboat station, It’s very good. The one down by the pier hasn’t opened this year or last for some reason.

Yeah sell 99's as well, €3 last Sunday for a 99 !

prionnsias wrote: »

We went last night. 3 fish and chips €30. Now it was nice but a tad expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

We went last night. 3 fish and chips €30. Now it was nice but a tad expensive
    I would have thought €10 was standard, tbf.....it's €12.95 for a fresh cod and chips in Leo Burdocks.

Fresh COD meal in my local chipper is 9 euro which includes a drink

I don't mind paying €10 if I think it's good value, I think the one at the pier was €10 too but you'd have to wait 30 mins which made it completely not worth it.

Just out of curiosity, does the one on the beech package in paper/card or sytrofoam?

Scotty # wrote: »
    I don't mind paying €10 if I think it's good value, I think the one at the pier was €10 too but you'd have to wait 30 mins which made it completely not worth it.

Just out of curiosity, does the one on the beech package in paper/card or sytrofoam?

Paper box

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyone know anything bout the apparent food truck fair up near Fantasia? Drove past today and there seemed to be two trucks inside.

Yeah passed there other day and saw it. Struck me as an odd place for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Anyone tried Song & Jenn at the back of McHugh's?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hit up the Fisherman’s Catch chip van today, out in clogherhead. Mainly after reading constant recommendations for the place on here.

God, it was awesome. €10 for two lovely, perfectly cooked pieces of fish and a fair decent serving of chips. (€6 for a half size portion). Took it off to a nearby picnic table overlooking the port. Really quaint and a really nice afternoon out. Can absolutely understand the hype people have given it on here.

(I’ll ignore the sewage truck that was parked outside and absolutely stunk. I get that isn’t their fault but I’ll want to go again when I’m not being gassed out of it, lol).

I went down expecting it to be a basic chipper level of battered fish but it was perfectly cooked. I’d have been thrilled if I got such a nice piece of fish in a “proper” restaurant.

Ice cream from the Porthole desert place next door were nice too. A perfect day out and only wish I’d tried it out earlier in the pandemic.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hit up the Fisherman’s Catch chip van today, out in clogherhead. Mainly after reading constant recommendations for the place on here.

God, it was awesome. €10 for two lovely, perfectly cooked pieces of fish and a fair decent serving of chips. (€6 for a half size portion). Took it off to a nearby picnic table overlooking the port. Really quaint and a really nice afternoon out. Can absolutely understand the hype people have given it on here.

(I’ll ignore the sewage truck that was parked outside and absolutely stunk. I get that isn’t their fault but I’ll want to go again when I’m not being gassed out of it, lol).

I went down expecting it to be a basic chipper level of battered fish but it was perfectly cooked. I’d have been thrilled if I got such a nice piece of fish in a “proper” restaurant.

Ice cream from the Porthole desert place next door were nice too. A perfect day out and only wish I’d tried it out earlier in the pandemic.

If it's any consolation to you, it was closed for most of the pandemic and has just reopened recently. So you didn't miss anything!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've been to the Fisherman’s Catch about 3 or 4 times now since it opened back up and it is superb every time. I'm not even a big fish eater, but it tastes so good.

• Advertisement

We booked a table in Hops on the “hottest day of the year” for 6pm.

We arrived a few minutes early and the outdoor space was busy with people drinking (most) and eating (some).

A big outdoor screen had been set up and the football was on, lovely.

We managed to find a quiet table which was away from the screen and most of the noise.

We made our choices and sat for a few minutes, nobody came near us so I asked a passing waitress if we could place our orders.

The waitress took our order and asked if “we’d like to pay now?”

Somewhat taken aback we said we’d pay when we were finished eating if that was ok.
    It was.

She didn’t take the menus away for some reason so I moved them to an empty table beside us.

I feared the worst, but surprisingly our first course (patatas bravas) arrived within 10 mins.

It was fine, a large portion (enough for two) of cubed potatoes with chorizo.

As we waited for our mains you could see plenty of people asking for menus and drinks.

A couple of people were chasing waitresses asking “where’s my steak??” too!

The onsite entertainment was provided by our waitress coming out of the kitchen with plates of food and not having a notion where the food was supposed to go.

She just sort of wandered around hoping to make eye contact with someone who might have ordered the food she was carrying.

She was usually successful after a lap or two.

Also nice to see some of the staff wearing masks, on their chins.

We made eye contact with our waitress and got our mains (rib eye steak & scampi) about 15 mins after our starter which wasn’t bad in fairness.

Mrs ox asked for some tartare sauce and vinegar, the waitress looked at her and said “tartare sauce and vinegar??”

(The scampi was supposed to come with “home made” tartare sauce)

We got the sauce but were told there was no vinegar in the restaurant “due to brexit”

When we saw the scampi we both looked at each other and said “findus!”

The waitress present me with my “medium cooked” steak (no steak knife)
    I’d asked for medium-rare but by this stage I was too distressed to speak.

The scampi was pretty bad but I have to say the steak was delicious, with a lovely pepper sauce on the side.

We asked for and received the bill but no-one came near us to take payment so I went inside and paid by card.

“Running away” was briefly discussed, I don’t think anyone would have noticed either way.

No-one asked us “how was your meal?” or “is everything ok for you?” at any time.

There seemed to be plenty of staff around but very little in the way of organisation.

I’ll put the scatterbrain service down to lack of training & poor leadership but no way will I be eating there ever again.

CPL 593H

We went to the valley Inn last night. Table booked for 6. Grand, we sat outside the door under the marquee. Ordered food and drink. Service was super quick. Food was lovely. Good crowd there. We had the table from 6 to 8 but we were finished well before that. Daughter then went babysitting for a couple heading there at 8. They were seated at the top of the car park and didn't stay long as they were frozen

I’ll put the scatterbrain service down to lack of training & poor leadership but no way will I be eating there ever again.
    I don't know the place but are you being a bit harsh? Many establishments are trying outdoor dining for the first time and may have changed menu's and certainly table layouts to suit. I'd be surprized if staff are not a bit 'dizzy' for the first week or two.

Scotty # wrote: »
    I don't know the place but are you being a bit harsh? Many establishments are trying outdoor dining for the first time and may have changed menu's and certainly table layouts to suit. I'd be surprized if staff are not a bit 'dizzy' for the first week or two.

Perhaps, but looking at the online reviews this isn't a recent issue for them, plenty of complaints about haphazard service going back a year or two.
    I have to say the rib-eye was very tasty so I might give Goodwins steak house a try next time.

CPL 593H

Went to The Forge Field Coffee shop yesterday for breakfast. Was just lovely! Busy enough for a Monday morning but plenty of space between the tables. We were in the greenhouse area so it was grand and warm as there was a breeze out. Food delicious as always and service great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Perhaps, but looking at the online reviews this isn't a recent issue for them, plenty of complaints about haphazard service going back a year or two.
    I have to say the rib-eye was very tasty so I might give Goodwins steak house a try next time.

Here's an idea, look at the reviews before you book, not afterwards. Save you the pain :D

I was in Goodwin's for Sunday lunch on 2 occasions late last year (when indoor dining was allowed), and I have to be honest, I wasn't impressed by the service (food was fine). I felt the tables were too close both times. On our first visit, we had to go and find a waitress to take our order, and when she did come to the table, she pulled down the mask to talk to us! I watched her do the same at other tables, it wasn't just at ours.
    On our second visit we had to ask the manager where our food was, it took so long to serve our main course. People who had come in after us were served before us.
    I won't be rushing back.

Fancied a late lunch yesterday so we gave D'Vine a call and secured a table in the courtyard at the rear of the restaurant.
    We arrived just before 3.00 and were seated immediately.

It was a nice hot day but noticeably cooler under the parasols in the courtyard, borderline chilly in fact.

The waiter presented us with menus and took our drinks order straight away.

We ordered a tapas portion of prawns pil-pil to start which we shared.

Mrs ox ordered fish and chips (haddock in tempura batter w/ fries and mushy peas)

I went for the rib-eye w/ gratin potatoes, pepper sce and crispy onions.

The prawns arrived within 10 mins and were delicious, nice and plump with the vein removed and swimming in chilli and garlic.
    Very tasty!

The mains arrived promptly and were also delicious.
    The (medium-rare) rib-eye was perfectly cooked with tasty crispy onions on top, a rich pepper sce and nicely layered creamy gratin potatoes.

Mrs ox said the fish was "lovely."
    It was a (huge) piece of nice fresh haddock cooked in a light and crispy batter.
    The peas were very nice too, fresh, and cooked "al dente" with a touch of mint.

We were too full for dessert or coffee so we just asked for the bill which came to 71 euro for the food along with a bottle of peroni and a half bottle of house white wine.

That's our first time in D'Vine in many months and we really enjoyed our meal there.

The food was excellent, the only drawback was the chilliness of the courtyard but it was tolerable.

Looking forward to getting back there when indoor dining opens up.

CPL 593H

What's the story with Donegan's? Cycled passed it yesterday and it was locked up tight and maybe some work going on?.

Meanwhile up the road at the Valley Inn they had 3 different areas for outdoor dining. One at the front, roadside and 2 marquees at the side. Looked to be at capacity too. Which was great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

What's the story with Donegan's? Cycled passed it yesterday and it was locked up tight and maybe some work going on?.

Meanwhile up the road at the Valley Inn they had 3 different areas for outdoor dining. One at the front, roadside and 2 marquees at the side. Looked to be at capacity too. Which was great to see.

Not opening until indoor dining on 5th July I think. Valley is is a great set up everyday I pass it there's a great atmosphere at it.

It looked it yesterday for sure. Got a shout of "allez allez" from someone sat at the front tables as I passed on my bike :D

Went to the Valley last Wednesday for lunch and it was doing a roaring trade. Was lovely to see a constant flow of people in and out. Food was as good as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭PGE1970

The Valley was packed last weekend.

Booked out all day Sunday; no walk-ins!

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Booked out all day Sunday; no walk-ins!
    I'm seeing more and more places now refusing to take bookings and only taking walk-ins. Must be something to do with cancelations/no-shows.

I see Tango closed it's doors on Sunday for the last time. I was never a fan of it's takeout but it's indoor dining was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Tango reopening shortly under new management.

• Advertisement
Advertisement