Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player Watchlist 2014-2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

I'll certainly be avoiding the defence til they appoint a new manager but the attack is slightly different. There's less to organize, more down to ability, which he has proven in the past, and they have a decent run of fixtures. It's a risk, I'll admit, but for 5.9m are there better options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Di Maria @ 9.5

That's a bigger joke than the Mario pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Di Maria @ 9.5

That's hilariously cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

rosskind wrote: »
    I'll certainly be avoiding the defence til they appoint a new manager but the attack is slightly different. There's less to organize, more down to ability, which he has proven in the past, and they have a decent run of fixtures. It's a risk, I'll admit, but for 5.9m are there better options?

Siggy is only slightly more expensive. Larsson at 5.5 has been doing well for Sunderland and is on set pieces. Arfield at Burnley is 5.5 and scored against Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'm steering clear of Palace until they appoint a manager. They showed before Pulis arrived that they are a fairly average bunch of players unless they have the right manager to put them into a rigid system.

Letting Pulis go was a huge mistake on their behalf. 5 goals now conceded in two games.

Can't understand why they let him go myself, and exactly the reason why i ended up having an argument on here previously about avoiding Palace defenders for now. Their defence is all over the place at the moment, Pulis worked wonders there!

• Advertisement

Can't understand why they let him go myself, and exactly the reason why i ended up having an argument on here previously about avoiding Palace defenders for now. Their defence is all over the place at the moment, Pulis worked wonders there!

Conceding 3 at home to West Ham would never have happened under Pulis. The third goal that Carlton Cole scored was ridiculous.

They also conceded from two set pieces against Arsenal which I don't think would have happened under Pulis.

Regardless of the position, be it defence or attack, I'm giving Palace a wide berth until a new manager is in place and settled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Lemlin wrote: »
    Conceding 3 at home to West Ham would never have happened under Pulis. The third goal that Carlton Cole scored was ridiculous.

They also conceded from two set pieces against Arsenal which I don't think would have happened under Pulis.

Regardless of the position, be it defence or attack, I'm giving Palace a wide berth until a new manager is in place and settled in.

Can't say i've ever had an attacking option from Palace in any of my teams they never really score too many but last season they were solid at the back, I doubled up at one point with Ward and Speroni which served me well not a chance i'll be going near them now either! Even when they do bring somebody new in there's no guarantee he will play defensive style football like Pulis and i can see Palace really struggling this season and ending up fighting to stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Danger781 wrote: »
    That's hilariously cheap.
    Looking at his stats and with uncertainty over what position he will play I dont see how it is. 34 appearences last year 4 goals and 17 assists in a proper functioning team that scored 104 league goals. If Utd go 4 3 3 and he plays up top on the left Ill consider him but currently Id have hazard, fab, silva, sanchez,ramsey, walcott, mata as better options with maybe sterling, ozil and siggy also. Goals for midfielders 5 pts as opposed to assists 3 pts are whats key. He has never scored more than 7 goals in a league season the one advantage in his favour is he will start every game for utd whereas at madrid he made some substitute appearances.

Puncheon was quietly excellent in the second half of last season with 7 goals and an assist in 16 games, which surprised me. That's contributing something every other game. As you say, a new manager makes it a risk but that new manager (apparently) being Warnock screws it all up completely.

Ozil actually shot more and created the same amount of chances per game at Arsenal than at Real yet went from 9 goals and 13 assists to 5 and 9, so I think we can assume Di Maria will suffer similarly from being out of Ronaldo's (and others) orbit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Puncheon was quietly excellent in the second half of last season with 7 goals and an assist in 16 games, which surprised me. That's contributing something every other game. As you say, a new manager makes it a risk but that new manager (apparently) being Warnock screws it all up completely.

They are both grown ups and Warnock isn't the kind to freeze him out when he's such an important player for them. I don't see any change in Puncheons potential output. If he does throw his toys out of the pram he'd want to hurry up because the deadline is a few days away.

It was quite a serious accusation though and I'm not convinced Warnock is entirely reasonable and sensible enough to put what's best for the team ahead of his own pride. He seems quite stubborn and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he drops him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I mentioned yesterday (possible different thread) that Gayle could be a good cheap option - remember he got a few v Liverpool last season, well he got a hatrick last night - would be high on confidence if started this weekend.

Problem with new manager is dunno who he'll play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It was quite a serious accusation though and I'm not convinced Warnock is entirely reasonable and sensible enough to put what's best for the team ahead of his own pride. He seems quite stubborn and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he drops him.

It's interesting for sure, I hadn't actually realised the extent of the row until I looked it up a little while ago. Warnock has plenty of form in this regard though, most notably El Hadji Diouf. I like Warnock on Talksport and the fans who are ringing in today seem to be welcoming the appointment.
    Like others I won't be rushing any Palace players in. Their defenders were overpriced from day one.

I think Warnock will do alright, better than the likes of Sherwood, he is a decent manager and will probably keep them up but Puncheon was the only one I was considering so I won't be touching any Palace players for a good while. Agree on the defenders, best plan is that they are rubbish, drop in price, he's sacked and Pulis comes back. Definitely going to happen.

I think Warnock will do alright, better than the likes of Sherwood, he is a decent manager and will probably keep them up but Puncheon was the only one I was considering so I won't be touching any Palace players for a good while. Agree on the defenders, best plan is that they are rubbish, drop in price, he's sacked and Pulis comes back. Definitely going to happen.

Has Warnock not a terrible PL record at both Sheffield United and QPR though?

One of the lads from college used to hate him. Endlessly on about how all Sheffield United had to do was beat Wigan or someone equally hopeless at home to stay up but they lost and Warnock then blamed West Ham fielding Tevez and United fielding second string teams in games and all sorts of ridiculous excuses.

I always used to hate him (not so much anymore, not having to hear or see him helps I guess) but thought he was an alright, if not very good, manager. When I say 'do alright' I mean, I don't fear relegation like I would had Sherwood gotten it. Not great, not very progressive and not a good long-term option but I think he'll keep them. But yeah, he definitely hurts their players' value from the Pulis days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just a heads up for those with Fletcher. Wickham played up top last night at Birmingham and did very well, scoring in a 3-0 win. Sunderland are close to signing a LWF, Kalou and Ricky Alvarez mentioned lots in the last few days along with the never ending Borini link. Either way, someone will be coming in which means Wickham and Fletcher will then be fighting for that one spot.

I think within a few weeks Poyet will revert to a fit Johnson and the new signing on the wings with Wickham up top as the main striker.

It's just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I'll start looking to shift Fletcher out in the coming weeks. Unfortunately from an FPL viewpoint I don't think we'll get the benefit of him starting in our easier games from the middle of September and I'd advise shifting him out during the international break.

Paully D wrote: »
    Just a heads up for those with Fletcher. Wickham played up top last night at Birmingham and did very well, scoring in a 3-0 win. Sunderland are close to signing a LWF, Kalou and Ricky Alvarez mentioned lots in the last few days along with the never ending Borini link. Either way, someone will be coming in which means Wickham and Fletcher will then be fighting for that one spot.

I think within a few weeks Poyet will revert to a fit Johnson and the new signing on the wings with Wickham up top as the main striker.

It's just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I'll start looking to shift Fletcher out in the coming weeks. Unfortunately from an FPL viewpoint I don't think we'll get the benefit of him starting in our easier games from the middle of September and I'd advise shifting him out during the international break.

The reasons to use this wildcard are flying at me now.

What do you make of his contract situation, Paully? Talk of wages demand way above what Sunderland are willing to play. Will he still play even if doesn't sign a new contract and decides to run it out?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭bicboy6666

zarate likely to start this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

bicboy6666 wrote: »

I think so. Rested midweek wasn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

bicboy6666 wrote: »
    Yes he will start. Nolan out for 6 weeks so I suspect Zarate will start all gmaes in his place. Then hopefully (as a WHU fan), Zarate will have done enough to keep Nolan out for good!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yes he will start. Nolan out for 6 weeks so I suspect Zarate will start all gmaes in his place. Then hopefully (as a WHU fan), Zarate will have done enough to keep Nolan out for good!

He looked good the other day, definitely the type of attacking flair player West Ham have been lacking.

https://twitter.com/OfficialFOXES/status/505093025266421760

Could be an interesting 5th mid :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Liam2012

Danger781 wrote: »

Not sure Cambiasso is a good player for fantasy. He used to sit quite deep and is more likely to get yellow cards than assists or goals. Based on name alone he'll probably be £5.5 which is too rich for me.

It's similar to all the giddiness surrounding Di Maria and Balo. Until these new players prove they can make an impact and score points I'm prepared to wait. it's not like there's a shortage of premium midfielders and forwards who are doing the business now.

I view all new signings as a major, unnecessary risk. Especially ones that are moving to a new culture. Let's face it Manchester and Liverpool would'nt be high on anyone's list of dream locations. How long will it take them to settle in to their new digs? Di Maria for example doesn't score too many goals. Granted he had a lot of assists last year, but having Ronaldo on the end of your passes makes that a lot easier. However he can run fast. So there's that.

Definitely a wait and see for me on all signings from Europe until they look like making an impact. The great thing about this game is that there are so many ways to play it. Some are conservative and others prefer to take risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Aarons and Zaha two to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

djPSB wrote: »
    Aarons and Zaha two to keep an eye on.

Yeah just came her to say Zaha. If he starts, and starts up front, he'd be a snip @ £5.4m. Good for a cheap 5th mid at least if you have some spare cash and don't want to keep getting 2 pointers from your sub mid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

jive wrote: »
    Yeah just came her to say Zaha. If he starts, and starts up front, he'd be a snip @ £5.4m. Good for a cheap 5th mid at least if you have some spare cash and don't want to keep getting 2 pointers from your sub mid.

The problem is, he's to expensive for the sub spot, and with Siggy in most teams @ 6m he's too cheap for the 7th attacking spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

qwabercd wrote: »
    The problem is, he's to expensive for the sub spot, and with Siggy in most teams @ 6m he's too cheap for the 7th attacking spot.

That's why I said IF you have some spare cash :P Potentially if you have a cheap striker e.g. Naismith then you could rotate him with Zaha depending on fixtures, assuming that he actually has some form and is played very advanced like today when he came on.

Naismith: west brom (a), palace (h), liverpool (a), united (a), villa (h), burnley (a), swansea (h), sunderland (a), west ham (h)

Zaha: Burnley (H), Everton (A), Leicester (H), Hull (A), Chelsea (H), West Brom (A), Sunderland (H), Man Utd (A), Liverpool (H)

Which would give you a fairly tasty fixture list of Burnley, Palace, Leicester, Hull (A), Villa, West Brom (A), Sunderland, Sunderland (A), West Ham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

jive wrote: »
    That's why I said IF you have some spare cash :P Potentially if you have a cheap striker e.g. Naismith then you could rotate him with Zaha depending on fixtures, assuming that he actually has some form and is played very advanced like today when he came on.

Naismith: west brom (a), palace (h), liverpool (a), united (a), villa (h), burnley (a), swansea (h), sunderland (a), west ham (h)

Zaha: Burnley (H), Everton (A), Leicester (H), Hull (A), Chelsea (H), West Brom (A), Sunderland (H), Man Utd (A), Liverpool (H)

Which would give you a fairly tasty fixture list of Burnley, Palace, Leicester, Hull (A), Villa, West Brom (A), Sunderland, Sunderland (A), West Ham

Yeah, spare cash or not though I'd still rather have it in the bank than invested in a 5th midfielder. Having said that the following attack looks good (and would still leave cash for a half decent defense):

Zaha Siggy Fabregas Ramsey 4.5m midfielder

Costa Aguero Sturridge

Edit - fully read your post, zaha and naismith rotation could work alright. Still bound to have points on the bench some weeks but I suppose that's the nature of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

Rolando Aarons looks good for 5 mill. Came on as a sub yesterday and completely changed the game - bagged a goal and an assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

q2ice wrote: »
    Rolando Aarons looks good for 5 mill. Came on as a sub yesterday and completely changed the game - bagged a goal and an assist.

Hmmmm.. Never heard of him until yesterday.. Can't see him starting much and there are much better 5 million options out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Southampton apparently in for Toby Alderweireld. Predominantly a CB for his club Ajax, tho played at RB for Belgium in the WC. Hope he's not a threat to Clyne :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Strong rumours that RVP could be out for a couple of months,seemingly needs a knee op.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

zerks wrote: »
    Strong rumours that RVP could be out for a couple of months,seemingly needs a knee op.

Would make Rooney more attractive back on pens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

manual_man wrote: »
    Southampton apparently in for Toby Alderweireld. Predominantly a CB for his club Ajax, tho played at RB for Belgium in the WC. Hope he's not a threat to Clyne :o

I doubt he'll replace Clyne (unless another club buy Clyne :rolleyes:)

Yoshida would be my guess who'd make way, thought Gardos was bought to come in for him though.

I'd say Clyne has to be a certain starter, even last year I felt he was very unlucky not to be playing ahead of Chambers,
    if Chambers had to have stayed I'd still rate Clyne at RB ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I'd say Clynes place is safe, he only plays rb for Belgium as they literally have no other decent alternatives. Yoshida will be the one dropping out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Anyone think ballotelli did enough today to make him a viable punt... He generally does well for a while before huffing over something and self destructing....

He seemed to link up well with Sturridge but I only saw motd2. Could have had a hat trick, took up,good positions on set pieces. Very decent fixtures coming up. Pricy at 10 but 1.5 cheaper than Sturridge and could quite possibly match or outscore him.

• Advertisement

Moreno has looked very good going forward in his 2 games, I think he's a great option considering Liverpool have a few handy matches coming up.

FHFC wrote: »
    Anyone think ballotelli did enough today to make him a viable punt... He generally does well for a while before huffing over something and self destructing....

He seemed to link up well with Sturridge but I only saw motd2. Could have had a hat trick, took up,good positions on set pieces. Very decent fixtures coming up. Pricy at 10 but 1.5 cheaper than Sturridge and could quite possibly match or outscore him.

The fixtures make him worth considering but I'd be worried about his game time. Liverpool have other good options now in Markovic, Llallana and Lambert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

James Ward Prowse with two assists this week and on all set pieces could be a good cheap 5th option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Came off after 60' (could be lack of match fitness since Serie A only started this weekend) which would be my main worry. Sturridge was very unlucky not to score or get an assist; it will either be him or Aguero in for Rooney unless Wayne pulls the finger out against QPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Balo was the more central of the two, and more opportunities came his way. Liverpool's fixtures are very promising looking for a good while going forward. I have Sterling so not considering him yet, although doubling up on Liverpool attackers is a gamble that could pay off. Have a feeling that Balo will outscore Studge going forward. Prob best just to hold the trigger tho and see how they fare v Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

He played RB a lot for Ajax. Also he's an Atletico Madrid player these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

I know Naismith is the only option for a cheap forward at the moment, but Leonardo Ulloa's been looking good so far for 5.5m. 15 points so far after three tough fixtures and a decent run of games coming up. Worth keeping an eye on.

I know Naismith is the only option for a cheap forward at the moment, but Leonardo Ulloa's been looking good so far for 5.5m. 15 points so far after three tough fixtures and a decent run of games coming up. Worth keeping an eye on.

Yep, I noticed him in first game against Everton. He's a big lad and makes a nuisance of himself. Everton have a good defence and he caused them problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nick Powell if Utd could be off to Leicester on loan, he got plenty of goals in the Championship last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Nuts102 wrote: »
    James Ward Prowse with two assists this week and on all set pieces could be a good cheap 5th option.
    Only one assist unfortnately, but I agree, looks a good 5th option assuming they don't sign anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement