Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

However I've now decided I want my lights to make lightsabre noises when powered on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ah he's not that wrong. It was a somewhat entertaining fan homage to the original trilogy, that borrowed every single aspect of its story from them, and even had single scenes that were noda to the originals.

Better than the prequels, but missing something special other than its unoriginal story

I'm sure Pretty woman is on somewhere, feck off and watch that

You're not that wrong btw but enjoyable and entertaining romp :)

RobFowl wrote: »
    I'm sure Pretty woman is on somewhere, feck off and watch that

You're not that wrong btw but enjoyable and entertaining romp :)

I think I just needed it to be darker/grittier but its Disney now. I was thankful it moved away from 100% green screen CGI.

It did have some decent funny moments, and I'll hope the next one improves a bit

Watching the assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert ford.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

HeHe

Just finished a bit of shopping and couldn't stop giggling at this..

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/impregnator-11252

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ah he's not that wrong....
    She ;)

• Advertisement

She ;)

Oops, sincere apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I like romcoms - if they have a depth to the story that makes you root for the characters, and if they make me laugh. I loved the original Star Wars, with its story about an Oklahoma farm boy (more or less) fighting off a giant empire; I adored the plot twist that rebounds two or three films later with "I am your father"; I was moved by the whole Zen "feel the force" thing; I didn't even mind the basically fascistic royal-families-are-specialler nonsense.

But the latest one - I was dying to like it. Loved the start, with another Oklahoma farm kid abandoned in her toddlerhood, and an orphan boy who leaves the evil army because he knows it ain't right.

Then they lost it. They thought that evil was shown by people shouting evilly, wearing Nazi-style uniforms and using nasty magic on prisoners. The heroes didn't really give us any reason to love them. The Republic (or whatever it's called now… the Resistance?) seemed just as well armed as the Empire, and really a kind of gum-chewing American of World War II. General Leia was Hillary Clinton.

At least the popcorn and Coke were worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I like romcoms - if they have a depth to the story that makes you root for the characters, and if they make me laugh. I loved the original Star Wars, with its story about an Oklahoma farm boy (more or less) fighting off a giant empire; I adored the plot twist that rebounds two or three films later with "I am your father"; I was moved by the whole Zen "feel the force" thing; I didn't even mind the basically fascistic royal-families-are-specialler nonsense.

But the latest one - I was dying to like it. Loved the start, with another Oklahoma farm kid abandoned in her toddlerhood, and an orphan boy who leaves the evil army because he knows it ain't right.

Then they lost it. They thought that evil was shown by people shouting evilly, wearing Nazi-style uniforms and using nasty magic on prisoners. The heroes didn't really give us any reason to love them. The Republic (or whatever it's called now… the Resistance?) seemed just as well armed as the Empire, and really a kind of gum-chewing American of World War II. General Leia was Hillary Clinton.

At least the popcorn and Coke were worth it.

Time to lay off that cocaine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Time to lay off that cocaine

How funny and clever.

How funny and clever.

colonel-meow.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

There is none of them a patch on Mrs Congeniality. She's a cop and a reluctant beauty queen. It works on so many levels.

Just brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

RobFowl wrote: »
    HeHe

Just finished a bit of shopping and couldn't stop giggling at this..

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/impregnator-11252

seriously dr wack impregnator :eek: never to be sold in an english speaking country !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

lennymc wrote: »
    There is none of them a patch on Mrs Congeniality. She's a cop and a reluctant beauty queen. It works on so many levels.

Just brilliant.

Mmmmmn Sandra Bullock....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

so still no email notifications, are they thing of post or just not setup with the update?

Thrilling piece of rugby somehow the rain has held off. Chilly cycling out there mind was not much above 3-4c this morning

How funny and clever.

After two lengthy didactic epics of your personal opinion followed by the use of the word "coke"?

Not a court in the land would sat you didn't walk straight into that one.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,612 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

manafana wrote: »
    so still no email notifications, are they thing of post or just not setup with the update?
    They are still working on it following everything they had to do following the DDoS attack. Hopefully it will be sorted next week

Beasty wrote: »
    They are still working on it following everything they had to do following the DDoS attack. Hopefully it will be sorted next week
    Has the DDoS attack anything to do with the rampant double posting around here lately?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,612 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Has the DDoS attack anything to do with the rampant double posting around here lately?
    They had to put in new "defences" to stave off further attacks. I think that's contributing to all the problems. The Site Development guys are working through them, but have limited resource so are prioritising the "functional" issues ahead of some of those that are more of an irritation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If you go to "post reply" rather than "quick reply", you tend not to get double posts as much, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You guys went overboard with drug use implications for QualityMark, she's closed her account.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You guys went overboard with drug use implications for QualityMark, he's closed his account.

She

Oops. Add sexism to a list of potential reasons so.

Oops. Add sexism to a list of potential reasons so.

Coke and hookers the usual "joke" so she got off lightly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Going back to the previous discussion on election posters, I whiled away the time on the King's Mountain 200 yesterday looking at election posters. Some people in the vicinity of Rathmolyon take "defacing" posters seriously. There were Sinn Féin posters with the actual face of the candidate carefully cut out.

Someone mentioned that it was a "strong Fianna Fáil area" but really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

You guys went overboard with drug use implications for QualityMark, she's closed her account.

I hope that's not the reason, and if it is I sincerely hope QualityMark comes back. While not everyone agrees with her point of view, I appreciated the fact that she was active and interested in cycling in general.

ETA: I presume that her 6k+ posts on Boards have hardened her up to bigger abuse than this, but still I hope this wasn't what caused her to close her account

... There were Sinn Féin posters with the actual face of the candidate carefully cut out...
    Replaced with a Balaclava?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Replaced with a Balaclava?
    Nope, just empty air.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »

ETA: I presume that her 6k+ posts on Boards have hardened her up to bigger abuse than this, but still I hope this wasn't what caused her to close her account

I'm sure it has, I wasn't being serious as to the reason, the timing just fitted to try make a joke as to it being the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I hope she'll come back.

Once she blocked me straight away for a dickish LMGTFY reply. I hope her reactions to internet folklore are as short lived as they are quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Going back to the previous discussion on election posters, I whiled away the time on the King's Mountain 200 yesterday looking at election posters. Some people in the vicinity of Rathmolyon take "defacing" posters seriously. There were Sinn Féin posters with the actual face of the candidate carefully cut out.

Someone mentioned that it was a "strong Fianna Fáil area" but really!

Planning ahead for scary Halloween masks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Anyone here do 60km+ round trip commutes? Is it madness?

Anyone here do 60km+ round trip commutes? Is it madness?

Daily might be a little strenuous but I'd say 3-4 days a week would be fine.

There's not much difference between 40 & 60 per day even for a fatty like me.

• Advertisement

A mate at work. He started from 0k experience, just after buying the bike.

He commutes 2-3 days a week, 35km each way, and enjoys it a lot.

(mind his averages were like 27-28kph from the start :eek: )

Anyone here do 60km+ round trip commutes? Is it Madness?
    Only if you do it in Baggy Trousers when you're probably better off Driving in your Car....:)

Used to commute in 23km, home 35km or so regularly. Think Jawgap was doing 100k+ a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Beasty wrote: »
    Only if you do it in Baggy Trousers when you're probably better off Driving in your Car....:)

Used to commute in 23km, home 35km or so regularly. Think Jawgap was doing 100k+ a day

Already commute 5 days a week at 12km each way, I'd be quick enough I'd say, but I would need to upgrade my bike. Hmmm, just wondering for now, haven't moved just yet!

Already commute 5 days a week at 12km each way, I'd be quick enough I'd say, but I would need to upgrade my bike. Hmmm, just wondering for now, haven't moved just yet!

my main issue is dealing with some of issues you encounter with slow moving traffic and erratic driving, puts me off cycling more that alot of road cycling infrastructure is poor or inconsistent.

I don't know how anyone comes in the n81 some of the lanes lay out are horrible

btw someone on the forum recommend the strava add on for chrome, its brilliant some of the stats it adds on are really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

manafana wrote: »
    btw someone on the forum recommend the strava add on for chrome, its brilliant some of the stats it adds on are really good

Possibly me..

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stravistix-for-strava/dhiaggccakkgdfcadnklkbljcgicpckn?hl=en

Cracking addon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

****ing thing.

Move ratio, and trying to keep it above 0.9 on Audax rides has nearly murdered me.

I took it off and no longer have a garmin to be annoying me either.

#grumpyauldfella

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

ford2600 wrote: »
    ****ing thing.

Move ratio, and trying to keep it above 0.9 on Audax rides has nearly murdered me.

I took it off and no longer have a garmin to be annoying me either.

#grumpyauldfella

I've been thinking of giving up all this garmin/strava malarkey recently too. Not sure if I can go cold turkey though, might just start by putting the garmin in the pocket so I won't be looking at it every 2 minutes.

This is why my default screen is map with time of the day and perhaps heart rate. If I switch to any data screen, I find myself looking at it non-stop. Seeing speed is the worst ;)

Colm, I'd start by turning off that 5km beep notification on your garmin. Drives ME crazy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Only thing I turned off on my Garmin was the heart rate zone alarm thingy. Don't need an audible alarm to tell me that my heart is beating rather fast, I can feel the damn thing.

The HR is one of the handful of things I find truly useful - quite often when I think its over, I'm done, can't climb any faster, I just glance at the HR reading and anything below 175 tells me: oh cmon, htfu, you've seen low 180s there! :D

At present I'm torn between the urge to go for a spin and my reluctance to face going out into traffic to escape the City...also the neverending fceking wind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

At present I'm torn between the urge to go for a spin and my reluctance to face going out into traffic to escape the City...also the neverending fceking wind.

Was planning a lunch time spin myself, but just found my sopping gloves and hat that I'd chucked in a corner after my weekend spin, so probably go for a run instead. Snowing lightly here in Ballyboden at present, but wind is not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Alek wrote: »
    This is why my default screen is map with time of the day and perhaps heart rate. If I switch to any data screen, I find myself looking at it non-stop. Seeing speed is the worst ;)

Colm, I'd start by turning off that 5km beep notification on your garmin. Drives ME crazy :P
    Snap. I have the exact same alert thus I can hear my slow progress

smacl wrote: »
    Was planning a lunch time spin myself, but just found my sopping gloves and hat that I'd chucked in a corner after my weekend spin, so probably go for a run instead. Snowing lightly here in Ballyboden at present, but wind is not too bad.

I whimped my run, it's utterly miserable and I'm feeling the cold today, I normally enjoy the rain but with the wind, sleet and drizzle, feic that, it can wait until this evening.

So I went to the local Supervalu to pick fruit and pancake mix instead. All the bloody Odlums pre mix stuff was gone, so came home with a lovely chicken fillet roll.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement