Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

... also how do you get around the step where it asks for a contact number? wont accept 353..

The Nightline Newtonabbey number: +44 (0) 28 9084 8411

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Putting the PM number in the house name went perfectly for me just 3 weeks ago when I ordered my second box.

I used the Nowtv site .

Maybe its changed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's brilliant, they also have it for the same £12.50 price (€25 delivered inc. Parcel Motel cost) with either the one day sports pass (which is ALWAYS terrible value imho) and a 3 month movie pass too! :)

1 day sports: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1386039.htm

3 month movie: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1338829.htm

although for some reason the movie one is unavailable for delivery atm even though it's in stock. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

• Advertisement

So essentially this would allow Me to have Sky in another room?

I recently got a Chromecast so would this be any use to me?

Is the Movies pass just Sky Movies?

Yes and no.

It's a streaming box, similar to a chromecast but designed specifically to stream sky content (sports, movies or entertainment, depending on the subscription).

It's completely separate and independent of any sky subscriptions you may already have and it can't play any content you might have saved on your Sky+ box.

If you run a plex media server from a PC or NAS, you can sideload that onto the NowTV box to stream tv and movies you have already downloaded your PC even without a NowTV subscription, so the box isn't completely useless without one although as everything from NowTV themselves is sent over the internet, if your internet goes down it won't work for NowTV content (but plex will).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

There is now an official YouTube app on the roku store under internet TV for those that missed it.

Its basically the PS3 app so works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

vibe666 wrote: »
    Yes and no.

It's a streaming box, similar to a chromecast but designed specifically to stream sky content (sports, movies or entertainment, depending on the subscription).

It's completely separate and independent of any sky subscriptions you may already have and it can't play any content you might have saved on your Sky+ box.

If you run a plex media server from a PC or NAS, you can sideload that onto the NowTV box to stream tv and movies you have already downloaded your PC even without a NowTV subscription, so the box isn't completely useless without one although as everything from NowTV themselves is sent over the internet, if your internet goes down it won't work for NowTV content (but plex will).

Do I need to mess with vpn or dns settings to get Sky Movies to work here if I buy one these with a Sky Movies pack?

No it all works fine. But there is vpn issues getting some of the apps to work. BBC IPlayer or the ITV demand apps don't work .

4od does work and many other apps work also.

Combined with FreeSat and Saorview, it give you quite a bit of variety without the big monthly sky bill.

No it all works fine. But there is vpn issues getting some of the apps to work. BBC IPlayer or the ITV demand apps don't work .

Combined with FreeSat and Saorview, it give you quite a bit of variety without the big monthly sky bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Does NowTV record programs like Sky+?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

All the apps work fine for me with overplay.net ca. 36 euro for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Is there a cheaper or even free way of watching BBC iplayer etc? I've a Sky router so don't think I can change some settings on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

toby2111 wrote: »
    Is there a cheaper or even free way of watching BBC iplayer etc? I've a Sky router so don't think I can change some settings on it.

Don't think you are allowed to discuss that stuff here. Mods don't like it!

Ok, didn't know it wasn't allowed to be discussed. If anyone has any suggestions, maybe they might PM me if that's allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

degsie wrote: »
    Don't think you are allowed to discuss that stuff here. Mods don't like it!

O¥€®¶l^¥ is a legal company and so is their service. Not sure why it can't be discussed.

Who??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

look closely at the symbols ;)

Can't change DNS settings on sky router. Is there any other way around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I don't have sky anymore but I was able to change mine.

• Advertisement

You can't change it on the sky hub no matter what anybody else tells you. You could replace it with a different adsl router though.

degsie wrote: »
    You could replace it with a different adsl router though.
    Have an old Eircom router, could I just use it instead? Is it an easy enough thing to do?

Have an old Eircom router, could I just use it instead? Is it an easy enough thing to do?

Google is your friend. It is possible to extract the sky username and password from the hub using wireshark. I'd recommend getting a decent adsl2+ router while you are at it which allows changing dns etc.

mxph3 wrote: »
    Does NowTV record programs like Sky+?

No, unfortunately not.

You can only stream stuff, it has no internal hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I see the You Tube App has now been added to the NOWTV box. You can just add it in the channel store!

Its the box that keeps on giving!
    This is the best 15€ I ever spent :)

I see the You Tube App has now been added to the NOWTV box. You can just add it in the channel store!

Its the box that keeps on giving!
    This is the best 15€ I ever spent :)

I know. I can flick through full movies on youtube with my phone now, and then press the tv button on the screen.

There it is. On the big screen.

Its fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

What format does the parcel motel address go in?
    Previously suggested PM no goes in house name field but another poster said that didn't work. Want one but confused as to how to address

What format does the parcel motel address go in?
    Previously suggested PM no goes in house name field but another poster said that didn't work. Want one but confused as to how to address

i used this (taken directly from the email they sent confirming dispatch when i ordered it) and it got to me okay.

mr vibe666
    Mckinney Road
    PMxxxx, Parcel Motel, 1a
    NEWTOWNABBEY
    United Kingdom
    BT364PE

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

i used this (taken directly from the email they sent confirming dispatch when i ordered it) and it got to me okay.

mr vibe666
    Mckinney Road
    PMxxxx, Parcel Motel, 1a
    NEWTOWNABBEY
    United Kingdom
    BT364PE

Thanks, but what did you put in the house name field?

• Advertisement

mr vibe666
    Mckinney Road
    PMxxxx, Parcel Motel, 1a
    NEWTOWNABBEY
    United Kingdom
    BT364PE
    Instead of ParcelMotel you can also just say NightLine.

Don't forget it's 1A McKinney Road not just 1A.

Advertisement