Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Stevo1011

Nope.

well they are, especially the ones in clondalkin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

hehe, reminds me of a time when I was working in a pub as a bouncer part-time. What most people don't let on is what happens before the bouncer reacts.

Nobody grabbed your throat for no reason. Oh i'd say there's more to this story, speaking from experience of course.

So if he done something its acceptable to knock em out and throw them out the door.

About 90% of the bouncers I ever met where sound. Ya do meet the odd few who think that they are legends because they have authority over who is let in or not but sure ya wouldn't mind that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Stevo1011 wrote: »
    well they are, especially the ones in clondalkin

You sound, ermmm - not sure quite how to put this, so I'll ask you a question thats on my mind.... They have bouncers on the door of Mothercare ?.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    what type of person is that :s

Well folks who don't have trouble getting into pubs and clubs would generally be
    - dressed appropriately
    - not intoxicated
    - able to converse with the door staff about their evening so far (where they have been etc)
    - be of a generally pleasant disposition

Those who have trouble getting into pubs and clubs would not satisfy one or more of the above points generally.

If you are getting stopped by doorstaff regularly in many different pubs and clubs the issue would most likely be not the doorstaff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

RoverJames wrote: »
    Well folks who don't have trouble getting into pubs and clubs would generally be
    - dressed appropriately
    - not intoxicated
    - able to converse with the door staff about their evening so far (where they have been etc)
    - be of a generally pleasant disposition

Those who have trouble getting into pubs and clubs would not satisfy one or more of the above points generally.

If you are getting stopped by doorstaff regularly in many different pubs and clubs the issue would most likely be not the doorstaff ;)

yea I would agree with that but thats a way of behaving not a type of person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

I never have a problem really getting into pubs or clubs, even if I'm drunk enough I dont act the bollock and can have a conversation without my inebriation being obvious.
    Funny how one of the only times I didn't get into a club was last monday after a rugby match, had a small cut on my chin from the match and had had about 4 pints, bouncer takes one look at my chin, obviously decides I've been fighting and pushes me out of the queue saying I'd had "too much" without even talking to me and not allowing me to explain the cut (as it was obviously the reason), there wasn't an especially big queue at the time and he was shoving loads of others out of the queue after looking at them for a half second.

Just don't understand why a bouncer who doesnt like the look of someone wouldn't even engage them in a short conversation to see if his suspicions are correct. Next club I went to I was asked about it, calmly explained myself and was let in straight away! I do find most bouncers are grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I've worked as a bouncer before. Gave it up because the hassle wasn't worth the money. But, for the most part, I found most who did it to be normal, laid back guys just trying to earn a few bob like anyone else.

The difference is that when you're dealing with the general public, it's almost like a performance. You need to be firm and confident in order to establish their respect needed to get your job done. Personally, *I* always tried to treat people as I'd like to be treated...but sometimes you just have to tell some twats to "**** off" as it's the only language they speak.

And, keep in mind, that a lot of bouncers have a job like clampers. They are ALWAYS going to be the enemy if they're telling people what they don't want to hear. And, when your 'enemy' is drunks who could easily be carrying a knife or know people who can easily have you shot, it's very easy to get on the defensive and get your back up (part of the reason I gave it up for a quieter job in retail).

I also wouldn't be so quick to ridicule them as arseholes who couldn't get a job anywhere else...especially in this day and age where we're all realising we're not worth as much as we thought we were. Security is a fairly recession proof industry and an increasingly competitive one due to the unemployment levels. Standards are improving dramatically because employers don't NEED to deal with slackers anymore with 10 people queuing up to replace them at a moment's notice. My dayjob now requires me to go WAAAAYY beyond the call of duty to stay employed (and I'm happy to do so).

Security is as good an industry to work as any...if you do it right and avoid certain bogey companies who treat employees like dirt. Like any industry, it will have its arseholes and blaggers, but for every arsehole bouncer there's a scumbag who made them that way. I'd love to see if some people who so blatantly generalise would fare as well if the microscope was held up to them. Two sides to every story and all that...

Offside wrote: »
    Funny how one of the only times I didn't get into a club was last monday after a rugby match, had a small cut on my chin from the match and had had about 4 pints, bouncer takes one look at my chin, obviously decides I've been fighting and pushes me out of the queue saying I'd had "too much" without even talking to me and not allowing me to explain the cut (as it was obviously the reason), there wasn't an especially big queue at the time and he was shoving loads of others out of the queue after looking at them for a half second.

Here's the flip side to that: it's a Monday night and probably a quieter one in the pub, meaning the bouncer is possibly on his own or has very little back-up if trouble broke out. So he doesn't want to take ANY risks in letting people in for his own safety. It doesn't mean a thing to him if business is dead. Licensed premises HAVE to give right to refuse to bouncers in order to stay licensed.

leggo wrote: »
    Here's the flip side to that: it's a Monday night and probably a quieter one in the pub, meaning the bouncer is possibly on his own or has very little back-up if trouble broke out. So he doesn't want to take ANY risks in letting people in for his own safety. It doesn't mean a thing to him if business is dead. Licensed premises HAVE to give right to refuse to bouncers in order to stay licensed.

When I say there wasn't a huge queue, it was still full enough inside and in bojangles/diceys/russell court there certainly is a big amount of back up.

I get were your coming from but he wasnt really taking a chance and would have realised that if he talked to the guy about his chin cut.

• Advertisement

Offside wrote: »
    When I say there wasn't a huge queue, it was still full enough inside and in bojangles/diceys/russell court there certainly is a big amount of back up.

Well, with respect man, looking at it from the other side your story is changing already. On one hand you said there was hardly anyone in the queue implying that he should have let you in because of that...then you say it was really busy in your next post. It just sounds to me like he wasn't in the mood for taking any chances considering he wasn't letting many in.

That said, he could have been just an arsehole. I'm not going to name any venues, but I know certain city centre venues have (certain) bouncers with the kind of inferiority complex that unfortunately feeds into the stereotype the country has for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

i find it funny that all the guys defending bouncers,are bouncers!!I have never really had any issues with them myself until a christmas party recently.I understand that christmas is a busy time but the attitude and aggression i witnessed in the Auld Dub was shocking.

Myself and friends were on a night out,3 of us are pro fighters and not drinking because we had fights coming up.The bouncer came over and asked one of the lads for ID (he's 28).He said he didn't have any as he was 28 and was told he would have to leave.We had just got a round in and asked could we finish are drinks.The bouncers attitude changed as his 2 mates joined him.Two of the lads said they were finished and left and as they did one of the bouncers pushed one of my mates through the doors and he fell on the street.

Things quickly turned sour and the bouncers came off worse.The gardai were called and we explained what happened and they said one of the bouncers had a bit of a rep for this sort of thing..Maybe he might think twice in future before he losses his temper.Some how I don't think so!!

Well, with respect man, looking at it from the other side your story is changing already. On one hand you said there was hardly anyone in the queue implying that he should have let you in because of that...then you say it was really busy in your next post. It just sounds to me like he wasn't in the mood for taking any chances considering he wasn't letting many in.

That said, he could have been just an arsehole. I'm not going to name any venues, but I know certain city centre venues have (certain) bouncers with the kind of inferiority complex that unfortunately feeds into the stereotype the country has for the rest.

Nah mate I meant that he wasnt in any rush with having a queue of 100 plus people to deal with so he would have had the time to have a chat with me if he'd wanted to. There was a queue of about 10 people and a decent amount inside already. It was the bojangles bouncer who wouldnt let me in, the diceys bouncers were right behind him, had seen me being rejected and were grand to let me in after I explained the cut.

I'd say he was just an arsehole, I've a lot of time for most bouncers and the majority of them are sound unless you're being an idiot. I've seen them having dogs abuse thrown at them for no reason and its undeserved.

canonball5 wrote: »
    i find it funny that all the guys defending bouncers,are bouncers!!

hilarious. Im not a bouncer. Was asked once or twice but I'd rather be gettting pissed than standing in the doorway

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

A guy I know is a bouncer for a well known bar/club in the city centre, he says he hates it with all his guts. Probably one of the loveliest guys I've ever had the pleasure to meet. He says that its not him that gets to decide who gets in or not but somebody watching with a camera in a room somewhere and that he has had to on occasion refuse entry to friends of his. He says the entire process is soul destroying and I can understand why.

My point being, I feel sorry for bouncers. Obviously those that are in it for the power trip are absolute cnuts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

wow the ones in limerick are unreal pr***ks dont even no how they fell icon or smyths in that city centre and i no 4 a fact they arent linicsed cus its not really professional when they are smoking outside while working wit jus a the name of a pub on them and no security id on them reason ive stopped going out cus they always find a reason for to stop me and my friends when we go out id leave my money to a bar that wants my custom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »
    A guy I know is a bouncer for a well known bar/club in the city centre, he says he hates it with all his guts. Probably one of the loveliest guys I've ever had the pleasure to meet. He says that its not him that gets to decide who gets in or not but somebody watching with a camera in a room somewhere and that he has had to on occasion refuse entry to friends of his. He says the entire process is soul destroying and I can understand why.

My point being, I feel sorry for bouncers. Obviously those that are in it for the power trip are absolute cnuts though.

I didn't know any of the clubs had cameras outside, which one is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

There's two types of people involved in these situations
    Customers with authority issues.
    Bouncers who let authority go to their head.

I think both are in the minority in their respective groups.

I didn't know any of the clubs had cameras outside, which one is it?

well i know the martello in bray operates from a system like this.

Sure does. seen one of the videos actually a few weeks back lol.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    Sure does. seen one of the videos actually a few weeks back lol.

Well I only know about it because of a accusation made about a bouncer there which happened to make the paper.

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »
    He says that its not him that gets to decide who gets in or not but somebody watching with a camera in a room somewhere and that he has had to on occasion refuse entry to friends of his.

Very true in some venues, especially in Dublin city.

Also keep in mind that the person you talk to often isn't the person deciding your fate. A good security team will have a guy watching how people behave in the queue who'll make the call. The reason being that people will obviously tell you what you want to hear when you're chatting face-to-face, but show their true colours in the queue when they think they're safe.

A guy I know used to have awful trouble getting into clubs. He's not a troublemaker at all, but a loudmouth and a cheeky ****er. I tipped him off to this and he rarely has trouble now. Just a thought for some.

knird evol wrote: »
    There's two types of people involved in these situations
    Customers with authority issues.
    Bouncers who let authority go to their head.

I think both are in the minority in their respective groups.

that sums it up really

Well I only know about it because of a accusation made about a bouncer there which happened to make the paper.
    Ah right i see. i presume the bouncer got done then?

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ah right i see. i presume the bouncer got done then?

the club was in danger of loosing their license for a time, it involved several bouncers

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

[QUOTE= but show their true colours in the queue when they think they're safe.

I'm sure you did not mean to write it like that :rolleyes:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

He said clubs in the City Centre though, I don't think any of them have security cameras outside them, but if there are I'd like to know.

He said clubs in the City Centre though, I don't think any of them have security cameras outside them, but if there are I'd like to know.

i heard coppers has but the only one i know for definate is the martello in bray

canonball5 wrote: »
    i find it funny that all the guys defending bouncers,are bouncers!!

I'm not a bouncer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bah1011

If your in a group of over 3 fellas in cork you don't get in most of the time especially if it is a busy night. so most of them just enjoy the reaction they get from saying no.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement