Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Tesco ( Ireland ) have a Philips 19PFL3403/10 on sale at the moment. Can anyone tell me if its Saorview compatible as in capable of RTE2 HD and Mheg5 for digital text etc ? I would be grateful for any info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭peneau

thayes wrote: »
    i have the pioneer krp 500a and it receives all the channels currently beinf broadcast in dtt here in ireland. i am usinfg a one4all flat aerial. Signal strength is 100% and quality is about 80%, I have line of sight to the wicklow mountains from the city centre. The aerial has its own power supply, and I do not have 'aerial power' turned on on the tv for the digital tuner. The TV is setup with UK selected (no ireland option).
    MHEG5 seems to work fine.

I have 2 questions:

I have no EPG, can anyone suggest why the EPG is not working?

Also every so often, the picture gets pixelated and sometimes reception drops completely for a few seconds. Is this a problem with the TV?

Any suggestions appreciated.

I have a KRP-500a also and had the same non populating epg since I bought the set. Last week for the first time I hooked up a satellite feed into the media box and scanned for satellite channels, picked up all the usual FTA channels available and I was amazed to find that the DVB-T epg populated and no it's not the satellite EPG, that populated seperately. I don't have an explanation for this just wanted to let you know that at least one KRP-500a owner has managed to get the Irish DTT epg on this set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭seanin4711

approved or not I am not too bothered!
    anyone point me in the right direction?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

seanin4711 wrote: »

http://www.powercity.ie/?action=&par=10-23&keyword=saorview&action=story&image=4-webbannermiddle4

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

seanin4711 wrote: »
    thanks

Check out adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

RTE Competition.
    Just noticed on RTE Aertel that they are running an MNS goal of the month competition. Nothing strange there untill you come to the prize. They are offering "A fantastic Panasonic 32" HD LCD television!". Strange then that the principal organisation behind "Saorview Approved" equipment for the Saorview service are offering an unapproved product as a prize in one of their own competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭PressTheButton

RTE Competition.
    Just noticed on RTE Aertel that they are running an MNS goal of the month competition. Nothing strange there untill you come to the prize. They are offering "A fantastic Panasonic 32" HD LCD television!". Strange then that the principal organisation behind "Saorview Approved" equipment for the Saorview service are offering an unapproved product as a prize in one of their own competitions

Prize may have been provided by one of the programme promoters - Phonovation, Xiam Interactive or The Irish Daily Mirror. Regardless, someone in RTE should have noticed the anomaly. Fair comment Machinehead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

From the panasonic uk faq site:

Will my 2011 Panasonic television pick up Saorview when it is transmitted in my area?

The 2011 Panasonic Viera televisions have an MPEG4 H.264 High Definition tuner that is designed to receive all of the Saorview channels. The 2011 models of television which have a B suffix in the model number can be used in both Ireland and Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭PressTheButton

maxg wrote: »
    From the panasonic uk faq site:

Will my 2011 Panasonic television pick up Saorview when it is transmitted in my area?

The 2011 Panasonic Viera televisions have an MPEG4 H.264 High Definition tuner that is designed to receive all of the Saorview channels. The 2011 models of television which have a B suffix in the model number can be used in both Ireland and Britain.

From same website:
    Will my 2010 Panasonic television pick up Saorview when it is transmitted in my area? The 2010 Panasonic Irish Viera televisions (denoted by an L suffix in the model number) have an MPEG4 H.264 High Definition tuner that is designed to receive all of the Saorview channels.

A friend's Panasonic 2010 'Irish' TV has the said MPEG H.264 HD tuner and does receive all of the Saorview channels. However, the TV doesn't have MHEG-5 middleware, doesn't receive new digital teletext and presumably will not be capable of utilizing Saorview interactive services when they come on stream. (I will find out the model number of this 2010 Panasonic 'Irish' TV over the weekend and add here.)
    The 2011 models of television which have a B suffix in the model number can be used in both Ireland and Britain.

Anybody know if the 2011 models referred to have MHEG-5 middleware? No Panasonic iDTVs are as of yet Saorview approved. Anybody know if Panasonic have submitted TVs for approval?

Model number of RTE's prize:
    "A fantastic Panasonic 32" HD LCD television!".
    would be helpful if anyone can provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dvd

Iron Hide wrote: »
    Toshiba 32AV713B, Mpeg 4 and Mheg 5 working perfectly. HD ready and not bad for €229 :D

just got this tv and ,i cant seem to pick up any irish digital channels on it. i dont think its mpeg4 unless i am doing something stupid

• Advertisement

dvd wrote: »
    just got this tv and ,i cant seem to pick up any irish digital channels on it. i dont think its mpeg4 unless i am doing something stupid

What sort of aerial do you have attached?
    What analogue TV channels do you receive with the aerial?
    Do you know where your local TV transmitter is?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dvd

The Cush wrote: »
    What sort of aerial do you have attached?
    What analogue TV channels do you receive with the aerial?
    Do you know where your local TV transmitter is?

aerial signal is fine. have saorview on other tv's when i swap out. picks up radio fine but no tv channels ,not even the sound.
    are you saying i should have the tv channels,that the tv is compatible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

dvd wrote: »
    aerial signal is fine. have saorview on other tv's when i swap out. picks up radio fine but no tv channels ,not even the sound.
    are you saying i should have the tv channels,that the tv is compatible

If its new being it back, it does sound like your tuner is faulty.

Sol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mogsie123

hi all. i am new to this so bare with me please. yesterday i purchased a 19" Technika tv in Tesco. the operating instructions lists MPEG4 as a feature. i set it up in the kitchen and it will not pick up saorview. i tried it on a tv point where i am already receiving saorview and it still does not work. am i doing something wrong or did i buy the wrong tv. sorry if this is not the correct place to ask but i am going nuts tuning and retuning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wrong TV. I don't think ANY Technika TV works.

Has it got a built in DVD player or USB stick reader? If so it's referring to PC DivX /Xvid files etc.

I think this thread is now soon going to be pointless.

1) Anyone buying a new TV should use the list here http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/

2) Anyone that has a TV and gets analogue on it can quickly tell if it does Irish Digital. (Radio channels only or nothing means it doesn't). Some non-Certified TVs will not do Interactive at all, some will.

If you don't get Analogue or Digital (All Digital TVs do Analogue too, at least on UHF, if not on VHF, they should never have been sold here), then your aerial is the problem.

The best advice now is only buy a Certified TV.

it has a usb reader no dvd reader though. damn them anyway. i asked them an all if it picks up saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Return it to them and get a refund.

problem is like an idiot i hung it on the wall through the box in the bin and headed to work. box is now gone. sure i will give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Worth a try anyway as its not fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You don't need box, only proof of purchase. Yes, it will be DivX USB stick playback that is "MPEG4". Not the same MPEG4 :( as Digital TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

I bought the Samsung LE40530 back in January and it had the Saorview logo on the box as being either approved or ready - can't remember which it was, but I've tried to tune in the digital channels and it isn't working. There is the option of tuning it as Digital and Analogue or just Digital and it doesn't work either way. I've checked on the website and the LE40530 isn't on their list of approved TV's which makes no sense seeing as it's far more modern and expensive than most of the TVs that are and also the fact that the box had the Saorview logo on it. It seems bizziare that it doesn't work - im thnking of getting an indoor aerial to see if that is where the problem lies. Any suggestions? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

If you're already using the correct outdoor antenna then an indoor one will not improve matters.

SB-08 wrote: »
    I bought the Samsung LE40530 back in January and it had the Saorview logo on the box as being either approved or ready - can't remember which it was, but I've tried to tune in the digital channels and it isn't working. There is the option of tuning it as Digital and Analogue or just Digital and it doesn't work either way. I've checked on the website and the LE40530 isn't on their list of approved TV's which makes no sense seeing as it's far more modern and expensive than most of the TVs that are and also the fact that the box had the Saorview logo on it. It seems bizziare that it doesn't work - im thnking of getting an indoor aerial to see if that is where the problem lies. Any suggestions? Cheers.

Is the model no. LE40C530? If so it should have no problem receiving the digital channels as it has an MPEG-4 decoder.

What type of aerial do you have attached to the TV at the moment? Does it find the 4 analogue channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

http://www.renediscountstore.co.uk/a01jq-portable-9-dvb-tanalogue-tv-and-digital-photo-frame-46-p.asp

DTV system:
    Input frequency: VHF 177.5 MHz - 226.5 MHz
    UHF 474 MHz - 858 MHz
    Modulate: QPSK/16-QAM/64-QAM
    Decode standard: MPEG-2: MP@ML, MPEG-4: SP&ASP
    Audio decode standard: MPEG1: LAYER I/II/III, MPEG-2: LAYER I/II

Forgive my ignorance but will this TV pick up Saorview?

eddiem10 wrote: »
    http://www.renediscountstore.co.uk/a01jq-portable-9-dvb-tanalogue-tv-and-digital-photo-frame-46-p.asp

DTV system:
    Input frequency: VHF 177.5 MHz - 226.5 MHz
    UHF 474 MHz - 858 MHz
    Modulate: QPSK/16-QAM/64-QAM
    Decode standard: MPEG-2: MP@ML, MPEG-4: SP&ASP
    Audio decode standard: MPEG1: LAYER I/II/III, MPEG-2: LAYER I/II

Forgive my ignorance but will this TV pick up Saorview?

Don't think so. The MPEG-4 listed I believe refers to Divx playback.

The Irish DTT standard requires MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) HP@L4.0, if this is in the spec it will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

Also Freeview HD is a big selling point. If it does not say HD in the ad, you can assume it is MPEG-2 & not compatible with Irish dtt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Crystalset wrote: »
    Also Freeview HD is a big selling point. If it does not say HD in the ad, you can assume it is MPEG-2 & not compatible with Irish dtt.

Best not to assume anything, as some sets, e.g. LG LD450 are standard Freeview with MPEG-4 / MHEG5 and deliver Saorview seamlessly.

Boards search function is a great resource if researching a particular model.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

Thanks for the info. Your advice is wiser than mine. Tho' maybe I was erring on the side of caution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Older model this, but just stuck an amplified internal antenna into my LG 32LG2100 and it's working perfectly for Saorview (mpeg4 and mheg5 for text)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭donnacha

Sorry if its been asked before but I've seen a few decent offers on Sony 46EX503. Has anyone here got one and are these Saorview compatible?

• Advertisement

donnacha wrote: »
    Sorry if its been asked before but I've seen a few decent offers on Sony 46EX503. Has anyone here got one and are these Saorview compatible?

The 503 is MPEG-4 (DVB-T2) and so should have no problem with receiving the Saorview channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hi,

Should a rabbits ears type aerial like this http://www.oneforall.co.uk/product/index/id/44/title/sv-9365/cat_id/2/type/antennas/sub_id/5/sub_title/ work for picking up saorview in Dublin?

Got a new tv this evening with saorview built-in and can actually pick up all the channels without an aerial though a bit choppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Can anyone recommend a Handheld TV that is capable of receiving Saorview please?..... If such a thing exists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

eddiem10 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a Handheld TV that is capable of receiving Saorview please?..... If such a thing exists!

The ultimate >>>> http://www.kakatech.com/mpeg4-dvb-t-tv-wifi-mobile-phone-k009/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭strongman

Sorry if this question has been asked before.
    Is the Panasonic TX-L32E30B ok for Saorview and Teletext on RTE2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Got a new IDTV in the living room after the current one went kapunt! Toshiba 32RV753 - supposedly Freeview HD approved. Saorview channels appear no problem up in the 800s initially (if receiver set to UK, might be different if set to Ireland) but they can be renumbered. MHEG5 Aertel works fine, as does WST teletext on TG4. Doesn't seem to have any problems coping with summer time (clock keeps the same time as UK channels) and all EPG details are listed. Not tried subtitles yet.

right i am back with a saorview 19"tevion portable tv bought today in aldi. the problem is now that it is not picking up the digital signal. i have tried it in the room where my 32"walker tv picks up the irish digital channels already but to no avail.can anybody help me i am going to go nuts

mogsie123 wrote: »
    right i am back with a saorview 19"tevion portable tv bought today in aldi. the problem is now that it is not picking up the digital signal. i have tried it in the room where my 32"walker tv picks up the irish digital channels already but to no avail.can anybody help me i am going to go nuts

Assuming it has a digital tuner is there a separtate digital tuning section within the menu? Does it find the analogue channels? To view the digital channels or analogue channels do you have to select digital or analogue on the R/C?

ya you can choose digital or analogue seperately on the r/c. its picking up the analogue channels but they are poor. sorry about the delay in replying was out for a while.

ya you can choose digital or analogue seperately on the r/c. its picking up the analogue channels but they are poor. sorry about the delay in replying was out for a while.

Are you using an internal or external aerial? What is your approx location?

• Advertisement

my aerial is in the attic and i am in waterford city. i believe i am getting the signal from mouny leinster in carlow

Manually scan on the DVB-T tuner. This will allow you to pick the Ch Number - it will be the same Frequency/Channel No as the walker.

What does it say on the Walker - 666MHZ or Ch45 ???

Perhaps you would be receiving Mt Leinster, but its more likely to be Suir Valley on Ch52 or the infill transmitter at Rathfadden on Ch 22.

When you manually scan those DVB-T channels 45, 52 and 22 you should see a signal meter on screen that will show which is the strongest.

Have you tried the Walker TV in that room that is not working ? That will eliminate problems with the cable/cable connections run to that room.

ya the walker one is 666mhz and ch 45. i have not yet tried the walker in the kitchen as i thought that the tevion would pick up the signal in the sun room regardless. i will try doing it manually but i am not great at this stuff so the whole lot could go out the window soon.

ya the walker one is 666mhz and ch 45. i have not yet tried the walker in the kitchen as i thought that the tevion would pick up the signal in the sun room regardless. i will try doing it manually but i am not great at this stuff so the whole lot could go out the window soon.

Okay. Think about it. If the Walker is working in the house somewhere and the Tevion is not working elsewhere in the house the problem is the likely to be the aerial connection in the Sunroom!

If you try the Walker in the sunroom and it isnt working, then you know its the cabling or loose connectors in the sun room. So you dont want to drag the Walker into the sunroom. lets do it another way.

Process of elimination. Bring the Tevion in the room where the Walker is working. If it works there then you know the problem is in the sunroom!
    (by the way tell me something - who is doing the aftersales support for these Tevions - it should give a website/no on the short manual that you got with it - I want to see who makes them)

STB wrote: »
    Process of elimination. Bring the Tevion in the room where the Walker is working. If it works there then you know the problem is in the sunroom!

He tried that already, see his first post
    i have tried it in the room where my 32"walker tv picks up the irish digital channels already but to no avail.can anybody help me i am going to go nuts

ya the walker is working fine in tyhe sun room but the tevion is not getting any signal when i bring it in there. i have since brought the walker into the kitchen (where the tevion was not working either) andstarted a first time installation and although it has not finished yet it seems to be picking up channels.

might it be that the tevion is not saorview compatable even though it says saorview on the box

ya the walker is working fine in tyhe sun room but the tevion is not getting any signal when i bring it in there. i have since brought the walker into the kitchen (where the tevion was not working either) andstarted a first time installation and although it has not finished yet it seems to be picking up channels.

might it be that the tevion is not saorview compatable even though it says saorview on the box

Right. On the Tevion manual does it say a model number or who is doing the support - just post that and I can find out if it is or isnt. I presume they wouldnt claim Saorview comliance if it wasnt.

Its a simple step thats missing.

Is there a manual scan on the Tevion dor dvb-t/digital tuner - that shows a few green lines when on Ch 45 ?

@mogsie123 - for the Waterford relay you will require a Group A (red tip) or wideband (black tip) aerial, with the aerial orientated vertically.

now i am totally confused. what is a red and black tip aerial. all i know is i wenty to an electronics store. asked for a digital areial to pick up saorview he gave me one and told me point it for mt leinster.

when he said point it i took that to mean that the rings of the aerial should point towards the target. should i aim it for the sky

• Advertisement

model number 185-28j-gb-hcu-roi. and at the risk of sounding like a smaart ass it shows sweet f all on ch 45.

Advertisement