Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could the train once again be the King of the Dublin/Cork route?

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Con Logue wrote: »
    Good man. How's the exposé of the IRRS as a covert lobby group going?

I never mentioned covert or expose in anything I said. I stand over what I have posted. I was once a member of the IRRS and it was a great experience, a great organisation. Spent many a night in the library, many a day on a special and built up a large collection of Journals. Left on good terms due to loss of interest. However I still maintain my view of how the organisation has developed and you would have to be blind not to realise why some people have taken a dislike to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

bk wrote: »
    Intercity coaches and trucks will likely go natural gas first and then hydrogen or other efuels in the long term. Intercity trains in Ireland will likely end up going the same route.
    BNSF are making shapes to go with gas on locomotives. Am surprised given the energy density issues with methane and the cost of fueling facilities but Warren Buffett presumably knows what he's at. Certainly given the likelihood of Tier 4 and equivalent Euro standards it might be more feasible to replace existing diesel locos that way than increasingly expensive and difficult to maintain chemical and catalytic solutions for diesel.

In an Irish context though continued access to gas whose price is unlikely to fluctuate wildly every time Gazprom/Putin throws a hissy fit is critical - that might mean shale fracking and serious and in some respects well founded concerns from the enviro lobby - while gas is a cleaner fuel overall, imported fuel is often over the worst of the environmental impact of mining it, such as Alberta oil sands, whereas shale gas *may* be a dirtier fuel *overall* for Ireland and it won't be enough to say "local jobs" like in the peat days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

bk wrote: »
    Losty Dublin, what you missed is that almost everyone in the Netherlands uses the OV-Chipkaart, their equivalent of the Leap card and the maximum price of a single train tickets on this card is €20, some even go down to €10 :

http://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/reizen/tarieven/instapenbasistarief/

Basically the prices you found, are the more expensive prices they charge for people who they are trying to get off the old way of paying and onto the ov-chipkaart. Kind of like the cheaper leap fares versus cash.

Also note that the €20 is the boarding rate, the max you are charged when you initially tag-on, you will be refunded when you tag-off depending on distance, so the train ticket can even be much cheaper.

Also this allows you to use multiple trains within one journey and also transfer onto trams and buses. So incredibly good value compared to Ireland.

Same price.
    Actually the paper ticket is usually cheaper if you're getting a Day Return.

I have a Voordeelurenabonnement card which give 40% off for me and up to 3 other people outside of the morning rush hour.

Only difference is on the Bus or Tram.

I usually get my ticket online and print it out, its usually cheaper than checking in with the Public Transport card (Openbaarvervoerchipkaart) and less hassle as I don't have to check in and check out or wonder if I have enough money loaded on the card.

Compared to Germany (where I work) the Dutch Public transport is relatively expensive.

It is good though.

Advertisement