Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Spaghetti and meatballs

242wifp.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

fussyonion wrote: »
    Spaghetti and meatballs

That's what we're having tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That's what we're having tonight :)

Me too! :)

Used up the last of the prawns I got out in Howth on Saturday. Great value. €19 for 40 super big Tiger Prawns.

Just fried out some chilli and garlic, added the shelled prawns, lemon juice, chopped coriander (normally use parsley), and tagliatelle. One of my favourite dishes, especially when I can get good prawns.
    304079.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Baked ham with pineapple and fried egg. Creamy mashed potatoes, brocolli and sweetcorn.

Forgot all about the pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Last nights Bbq-Herself made a gorgeous garlic butter to go with it.

One hell of a stink in the bedroom this morning though :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Yesterday was just foodie heaven. You know you have one of those meals where every component is just perfect? Had oak smoked wild smoked salmon to start with home baked brown bread, spring roast lamb with broccoli, minted peas, mash and roasties and then for dessert I made a thoroughly scrumptious strawberry and rhubarb crumble......We're still talking about it :) Was a perfect meal from start to finish!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Merkin wrote: »
    Yesterday was just foodie heaven. You know you have one of those meals where every component is just perfect? Had oak smoked wild smoked salmon to start with home baked brown bread, spring roast lamb with broccoli, minted peas, mash and roasties and then for dessert I made a thoroughly scrumptious strawberry and rhubarb crumble......We're still talking about it :) Was a perfect meal from start to finish!

I adore strawberry & rhubarb crumble :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Yesterday it was left over orange duck with noodles and stir fried veg (onion, mushroom, broccoli, spinach, peas and bean sprouts)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Yesterday I made a giant pot of chilli. Put 8 containers in the freezer and had one for dinner last night.

IMAG1556_zps6a08488d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why use the foil containers? I use them myself, but I make Shepherds Pie complete with the mash on top, and I can just take them out bung them straight in the oven. I wouldn't imagine you'd do the same with Chilli?

• Advertisement

They stack up perfectly in the freezer so we can fit more of them in. They also easier to rifle through quickly as you don't need to go turning bags around looking for the labels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Last night's dinner was lovely, we had steak with pepper butter, asparagus and these gorgeous gratin potatoes from Aldi. Washed down with red wine and followed by strawberry tart :)

It was especially nice considering my Easter Sunday dinner was an oven pizza :o

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

I bought 2 filet steaks at a reduced price today in Dunnes. I marinated them in garlic, thyme, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I seared them and then finished them in the oven. Delicious. I made a creamy mushroom sauce to go with them, along with steamed potatoes, greens and carrots. I had some homemade garlic/parsley butter left over from Sunday so I tossed the potatoes in that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tortellina with onion, chorizo, sun-dried tomatoes and pesto, and a steak pie!

How's that for a clash of cultures? :D

304212.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Last night we cleared out the fridge of random bits and pieces. Between 2 of us we had a quinoa based pizza, some croquettes and the remains of a roast chicken heated in a pan with salt & honey till it was sticky and wonderful. Became one of my favourite chicken salads ever. My judgement *may* have been impaired by some nice beers I'd bought to celebrate having today off and it might have been an over sweet nightmare of a chicken and sugar salad had I not had the beer munchies but it was wonderful at the time

7DCF633E-6EE9-479F-B504-B1BDE23DDB2D_zpslttywq4n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last night I made spaghetti with Tiger Prawns a la Jamie:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/spaghetti-with-prawns-and-rocket-spaghetti-con-gamberetti-e-rucola

I added too much chilli, didn't have any rocket so used parsley instead and it was yummy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Folks, mighn't be the most designer and OMG thing of all time but I'm having Mac and cheese tonight. My wife is working late and having dinner at work so I'm treating myself to one of my fav's. She's not a m'n'c fan, finds it bland!!!
    So trying to weigh up how i'm going to pimp it up tonight, it hnk a very mature cheddar, some gruyere and some other cheeses (suggestions welcome) and a good big dollop of mustard (dijon or english) to add a punch and maybe some other special ingredients ;)

I'll upload a pic later when its made

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm completing stage 2 of Pulled Pork tonight. Cannot wait for dinner tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Mac & Cheese is one of my favourite indulgences. I like to mix smoked ham through it and put a mix of grated parmesan & breadcrumbs on top, dotted with butter. Or pair mix jalapenos through a really cheesey cheese sauce. Or put a layer of bolognese at the bottom of the dish so you get some sharp, tomato goodness to cut through the richness of the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

brinty wrote: »
    Folks, mighn't be the most designer and OMG thing of all time but I'm having Mac and cheese tonight. My wife is working late and having dinner at work so I'm treating myself to one of my fav's. She's not a m'n'c fan, finds it bland!!!
    So trying to weigh up how i'm going to pimp it up tonight, it hnk a very mature cheddar, some gruyere and some other cheeses (suggestions welcome) and a good big dollop of mustard (dijon or english) to add a punch and maybe some other special ingredients ;)

I'll upload a pic later when its made

I like to add chopped up crispy bacon and chopped tomatoes to mine. A bit of Goats cheese adds a lovely flavour too. :)

• Advertisement

Last night we had night 2 of cottage pie using Gordon Ramsey's Shepherd's Pie recipe - no photos as again it was scoffed! Takes a good bit of time but it was well worth it.

Tonight I'll be having Jamie Oliver's Chicken in Milk recipe. I made this last night and dear god the sauce that remains after it cooks is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Dónal wrote: »
    Last night we had night 2 of cottage pie using Gordon Ramsey's Shepherd's Pie recipe - no photos as again it was scoffed! Takes a good bit of time but it was well worth it.

I too swear by his shepherds pie.

Last night was beef and mushroom pie for us from the cooking club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Ate dinner with my mother in Kingfisher on Parnell Street. I really love that place! Very convenient when you're shopping on the northside and I think their food is great. I always get the scampi, deep-fried with mashed tatties and coleslaw. I remember the first time I ordered it there, I expected the scampi to be the frozen crap most cheap and cheerful places have, but this had clearly been freshly battered. Sooo good. Though, was 12.95 so probably a bit more expensive than cheap and cheerful places. For afters, we got an apple crumble between us. Delish and surprisingly fancy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had a delicious Mr. Merkin chilli con carne last night. Its not something we have too often and it was gorgeous. Tonight I'm doing spaghetti carbonara using really nice smoked bacon and then I've been coerced and persuaded under duress (that's not true) to make another rhubarb and strawberry crumble again which I've just prepared and will pop in the oven after dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Supervalu are doing two packs of round steak mince for €7 so I cooked alllllllll the mince.
    I made bolognese to eat in work as dinners, and I asked mam what she wanted- "A cottage pie. With my name on it! You always eat my cottage pie, rabble rabble rabble". What the lady wants, the lady gets.

6ejayq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

I made Jamie Oliver's spaghetti and meat balls from his Ministry of Food book. Was really full of flavour with all the herbs. I served it with the Kerrygold garlic bread. Tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Sundried tomato basmati rice with red pesto and grilled chicken

Mushroom, tomato & cheese omelette with a green salad. The secret ingredient was I Didn't Have To Cook It.

IMAG1557_zps396b98c8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

A slab of Rocky Road.

I didn't eat any Easter eggs, so it's okay, also I'm a pure oink, so it's to be expected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight was a very bastardised spaghetti carbonara.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement