Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Gavin himself said the eye completely closed up. Terrible for parents to have seen such a vicious assult on their beloved son all over tv and social meedya. Why cant we all just get along in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

When will the team be announced? Soon surely.

Me since i've got in from work

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Ha. A mate just text me right now asking what's the name of the guy that got red card last week :-) He said he was going to get a pic with him and his son but they were having a formal meeting. Hotel in Dublin. Gas. Hold off I told him.

Still no team news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

About 20 hours to the game....where the f is the team?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Probably waiting on the final word from the DRA hearing. Bit daft though, coz its not going to line out as named, whether Dermo gets off or not. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Probably waiting on the final word from the DRA hearing. Bit daft though, coz its not going to line out as named, whether Dermo gets off or not. :rolleyes:

Does it have to be named today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well yeah...throw in is less than 24 hrs away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Nerves are getting to ye lads! Relax about the team. We all know its a dummy list anyway.

• Advertisement

Jim Gavin, super tactician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Brusna wrote: »
    It's on YouTube. It was a harsh red. 9 times out of 10 it's a yellow for both players.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Oh dear.
    Well Sean, luckily for K Keane the people on the appeals committee had the same opinion as me. You don't, no problem.

Connolly wins appeal.
    Unofficial obviously because it's late. But few sources coming out with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Slattsy wrote: »
    Connolly wins appeal.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Connolly wins appeal.

Looks official now. Dublin GAA twitter 'BREAKING NEWS: Diarmuid Connolly appeal to the DRA successful. He's clear to line out v @MayoGAA tomorrow. #UpTheDubs'

You ****ing beauty.:D

Justice!

He'll run amok.

I need sleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

corny wrote: »
    Looks official now. Dublin GAA twitter 'BREAKING NEWS: Diarmuid Connolly appeal to the DRA successful. He's clear to line out v @MayoGAA tomorrow. #UpTheDubs'

You ****ing beauty.:D

If I'm honest I'm half waiting to hear the twitter account was hacked and the entire county got trolled...

Won't be settled till I see dermo line out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Slimfast Shady

Saying the same on Facebook - We Are Dublin Page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Connolly wins appeal.

Disgrace!! It seems like no one want to br accountable for their actions anymore.
    Punching a player while their on the ground is now fair game.
    3 appeals is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

As a galway man delighted to see Connolly will line out and hopefully send mayo home with their tails between their legs. They will spend the long winter months wondering what if he was suspended would they have won an all ireland.... More bulls**t excuses.

However it makes a mockery of referees role in game. Gaa need to look at appeals process and have one body which hears appeals and not have such a drawn out process. Expect the referees to make a stance as their roles are being undermined by players getting off on a regular occurrence

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Irish times running the story that he is cleared, same old rubbish by the GAA. What Connolly did was a red, and that should have been the end of the story. Given that it was such a long night, I'd be worried it could impact on performance

mjp wrote: »

However it makes a mockery of referees role in game. Gaa need to look at appeals process and have one body which hears appeals and not have such a drawn out process. Expect the referees to make a stance as their roles are being undermined by players getting off on a regular occurrence

This ^^^^^^ He went through the Appeals Process as was laid out and that's the outcome

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

This ^^^^^^ He went through the Appeals Process as was laid out and that's the outcome

Referee and Two boards saw fit to uphold the red card and with it the one match ban, and the DRP overturn it. It is joke of a system, and does non favours to the referee. At the end of the day, what he did merited a red card by the rulebook, but hey ho, that is the GAA for you. Bear in mind, the two heads of the other bodies are practising lawyers and former secretaries of the DRP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Irish times running the story that he is cleared, same old rubbish by the GAA. What Connolly did was a red, and that should have been the end of the story. Given that it was such a long night, I'd be worried it could impact on performance

Agreed. Makes a mockery of the whole thing really.

Hardly ideal preparation for the game either. Do Dublin now get fined for not naming their team in time?

There has to be a complete review of the appeals process and the timing of hearings. As someone said earlier two wrongs do make a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Absolutely shocking on so many levels. Firstly it's embarrassing that the Dublin county board had the audacity to appeal a clear red card caught on camera three times. Its a farce that it can be appealed three times and then for the ban to be dropped at the end of it is an absolute disgrace. You'd have to wonder what sort of buffoons run the GAA as there is no logic to this. I agree with the previous poster too who says that it completely undermines the referees. What's the point in making the tough calls in a game when the GAA is just going to over rule you anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'd guess the majority of what all 7 players that have appealed are reds, yet all were successful. At least it's a consistent joke.

Let's not pretend appealing is only a Dublin thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Yes going by the rules of the game,what Connolly did was a red also going by the rules of the game what keane did was a red keane got off Connolly got off Now lets just play the game and may the best team win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I'd guess the majority of what all 7 players that have appealed are reds, yet all were successful. At least it's a consistent joke.

Took the words right outta my.....phone :pac:

In all seriousness the mayo fans will lose their heads yet if you brought up Keane and Keegan you would be dismissed outright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

redlead wrote: »
    Absolutely shocking on so many levels. Firstly it's embarrassing that the Dublin county board had the audacity to appeal a clear red card caught on camera three times. Its a farce that it can be appealed three times and then for the ban to be dropped at the end of it is an absolute disgrace. You'd have to wonder what sort of buffoons run the GAA as there is no logic to this. I agree with the previous poster too who says that it completely undermines the referees. What's the point in making the tough calls in a game when the GAA is just going to over rule you anyway.

Of course Dublin were going to appeal. They would have been stupid not to considering that every other appeal was successful.

Yes the whole thing is a farce but how are Dublin to blame for that. The process is there (joke that it is) and Dublin followed it.

Decision 15 hours before throw in is another joke. Wouldn't be surprised if Connolly isn't in starting 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

dunnerc wrote: »
    Yes going by the rules of the game,what Connolly did was a red also going by the rules of the game what keane did was a red keane got off Connolly got off Now lets just play the game and may the best team win.

People weren't happy with Keane getting off either.

This has nothing to do with Dublin or any other county it's to do with the disciplinary procedures being rubbish for all counties.

Referee and Two boards saw fit to uphold the red card and with it the one match ban, and the DRP overturn it. It is joke of a system, and does non favours to the referee. At the end of the day, what he did merited a red card by the rulebook, but hey ho, that is the GAA for you. Bear in mind, the two heads of the other bodies are practising lawyers and former secretaries of the DRP

I know all that, rebel girl. Appeals Process needs to be sorted ASAP

People weren't happy with Keane getting off either.

This has nothing to do with Dublin or any other county it's to do with the disciplinary procedures being rubbish for all counties.
    It does though. Why did Dublin appeal a clear red card three times? Obviously punching someone is acceptable behaviour now. How do they have a leg to stand on when a player is sent off for the same in the club championship?

Dublin had the same so called audacity to appeal a clear red card
    as Mayo had with keane striking murphy :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It does though. Why did Dublin appeal a clear red card three times? Obviously punching someone is acceptable behaviour now. How do they have a leg to stand on when a player is sent off for the same in the club championship?

Why did mayo appeal a strike? Etc etc

Dublin had the same so called audacity to appeal a clear red card
    as Mayo had with keane striking murphy :rolleyes:

What's your point? Two wrongs don't make a right

That it's not a Dublin problem, it's an issue with the system

Everyone here agrees its ridiculous

Fact is Dublin wouldn't have appealed if previous precedent hadn't make them think they would be successful

naughtb4 wrote: »

I said same old rubbish by the GAA if you read the post, and I'm referring to all these appeals getting off.

It is a joke, what sort of example does it set to younger players. It is the second time that Connolly was sent off in an All Ireland semi final and cleared to play the next game, though that one was more like the Keegan one iirc

The appeals process needs a radical overhaul

Both teams followed the Appeals Process. Both players were cleared. We could debate this all day .....

• Advertisement

I said same old rubbish by the GAA if you read the post, and I'm referring to all these appeals getting off.

It is a joke, what sort of example does it set to younger players. It is the second time that Connolly was sent off in an All Ireland semi final and cleared to play the next game, though that one was more like the Keegan one iirc

The appeals process needs a radical overhaul

Sorry wasn't intimating you were saying it was a Dublin thing was just a general point.

Must have an effect on referees as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

What's the point in having refs any more if there going to get off in the appeal process, Keane should not have got off and there's no way in hell Connolly should have. There is going to be war come 5 oclock

Both teams followed the Appeals Process. Both players were cleared. We could debate this all day .....

Exactly but they shouldn't have been appealed. If I got sent off in the Dublin championship for punching someone I'd be laughing at the CB when they try to hand down a ban. It sets an awful precedent. It also highlights how farcical the whole appeals culture and set up is so there is plenty to debate. Hard have any respect for the GAA with this crap going on.

Agreed two wrongs don't make a right
    but in the interest of fairness you cant let one player off for striking
    and deny another player getting off for the same offence a few weeks later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Great for Dublin but the gaa are a joke with this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The majority of overturned reds this year were clear reds and should have stood, including Keane and Dermo's.

Congress will need to tighten the whole process up to stop this happening.

I'm delighted Dermo is back in the team though. I think we'll win by 5+ points today. We'll be a lot more tuned in than last week. People have suggested all week that we bottled it last Sunday. I think Mayo missed a real opportunity to beat us as we were very poor for large parts of the game.

Bastic and Fenton to put in a seeious performance around the middle with Berno scoring a hat full.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Well there's a good chance he'll get line again today so can't say I'm too disappointed with the appeal being rescinded. Just amazed how popular this level of a person is. Says alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Between this, Tierney mccann. and the Kevin kane red card the gaa proving to be a joke. Who is even on these commities and why is there 3 of them.

They need to being in stricter rules. Jesus Paul galvin must be feeling pissed off for all the bans he got over the years!

Agreed two wrongs don't make a right
    but in the interest of fairness you cant let one player off for striking
    and deny another player getting off for the same offence a few weeks later

GAA downgraded Keanes card to a yellow,but that only got to CHC, whereas Connolly went to CHC and CAC who upheld the ban, and then overturned in DRP. Doesn't matter in the interest of fairness, what Connolly did was a red and with it a one match suspension.

Problem is they are trying to make calls about force and intent and provocation which are not in the rulebook. GAA at the moment are Grants All Appeals (eventually)

Personally, if I saw a Cork player being sent off for what Connolly did and appeal, I would be ashamed of the board, and I have been on number of occasions. But given that accepting responsibility for your actions isn't a social norm in society, how can we expect it on a pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well there's a good chance he'll get line again today so can't say I'm too disappointed with the appeal being rescinded. Just amazed how popular this level of a person is. Says alot.

It's the same in every sport the world over.

Player x may be a scumbag/drugs cheat/wife beater etc, but he is our scumbag/drugs cheat/wife beater.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement