Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Slattsy wrote: »
    There's no doubt he's guilty, Keane's was a straight shot into Murphy's jaw. With very little provation. Connolly had 2 sly dogs working on him, yet him ban is upheld. Just stinks.

There's a precedent set, it should be overturned.

I said the same pretty much yesterday , last minute of an intense game and he is pulled and dragged out of the way he was. Not one person can say they wouldn't react in a similar fashion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

With very little provation.

Take another look, Keane was seriously provoked Slattsy, without a doubt.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    only fair that he should be allowed play the "new" game

Ffs are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I said the same pretty much yesterday , last minute of an intense game and he is pulled and dragged out of the way he was. Not one person can say they wouldn't react in a similar fashion at all.

Yes he should be allowed repeatedly punch an opponent, it's only fair.

By the way, as much as I detest Connolly the person I'd have had no real problem if the red had been rescinded. He's a fantastic player but a liability for ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Ffs are you serious?

Did you decide to ignore my whole post and just quote one line?

It's reported that he was included in the squad, cause if he won his appeal he can't be added - I don't think that's right so I queried it here

If he is in fact allowed to be named in the squad, but banned from the match which seems a ridiculous situation to be in, the if it goes to extra time, that's considered a "new" game by some rules in GAA.

I also read today that out of 7 red cards appealed, 6 have been successful -

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Take another look, Keane was seriously provoked Slattsy, without a doubt.

Think it was just a bit of oushing and shoving? (off top of me noggin)

Thats part and parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

It's reported that Jim Gavin included DC in the squad, for if he doesn't and the appeal is successful he can't then include him - that has to been reported wrong?
    No that's correct. If Connolly isn't named in the squad and he gets off on appeal, say tonight, then he can't play. It was one of these stupid rules brought in at Congress because some people were annoyed that teams never line out as they are in match programs, as if its some big secret how a team will line out.
    If it's not then were down 1 player in the squad for the match, but let's suppose it does go to extra time? Is he then allowed on, I would have assumed he wouldn't be allowed to be named but if they don't allow him to be replaced only fair that he should be allowed play the "new" game
    If Connolly is named in the squad but doesn't win his appeal then yes Dublin will be down to (I think) 25 instead of 26 (I think this was changed at congress this year but I can't find a reference to it).

No he won't be allowed play if the game goes to extra time. Extra time is not a "new" game it is an extension of the original game and any players suspended for the original game are still suspended during extra time just as any player sent off in normal time is not allowed to play in extra time. This is detailed in Rule 2.6 of Rules of Specification.
    I also read today that out of 7 red cards appealed, 6 have been successful
    Connolly's is the only one I can find reference to during the Championship that was not successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Kavrocks wrote: »

No he won't be allowed play if the game goes to extra time. Extra time is not a "new" game it is an extension of the original game and any players suspended for the original game are still suspended during extra time just as any player sent off in normal time is not allowed to play in extra time. This is detailed in Rule 2.6 of Rules of Specification.

Connolly's is the only one I can find reference to during the Championship that was not successful.

Is this new?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

ultrapercy wrote: »

Any vidoe I've seen I've only been able to make out one punch.

Yes it was a strike.

Yes it was a red card

Yes there was provacation

Ehhh..and No he didn't repeatedly punch Keegan from what I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Is this new?
    No. You may be confusing it with teams able to start extra time with 15 players again. They can't however use anybody who was sent off in normal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

ultrapercy wrote: »

Well I guess you didn't read my post properly or chose to ignore what it was saying. Things happen in the heat of the moment and well you can lash out its just common sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Did you decide to ignore my whole post and just quote one line?

It's reported that he was included in the squad, cause if he won his appeal he can't be added - I don't think that's right so I queried it here

If he is in fact allowed to be named in the squad, but banned from the match which seems a ridiculous situation to be in, the if it goes to extra time, that's considered a "new" game by some rules in GAA.

I also read today that out of 7 red cards appealed, 6 have been successful -

And if Connolly was in the middle of that bunch you'd have the conspiracy you seek. The fact that he was the 7th case up supports the notion that he was unlucky rather than "wronged"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Kavrocks wrote: »
    No. You may be confusing it with teams able to start extra time with 15 players again. They can't however use anybody who was sent off in normal time.

That is exactly what i am doing

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Brusna

Think it was just a bit of oushing and shoving? (off top of me noggin)

Thats part and parcel.
    It's on YouTube. It was a harsh red. 9 times out of 10 it's a yellow for both players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

corny wrote: »
    Not to worry. He'll be back for the final.
    Bret Hart wrote: »
    **** it anyway. No point in appealing again after tonight,he'll be back for the final.

Indeed, back for the O'Byrne final

Brusna wrote: »
    It's on YouTube. It was a harsh red. 9 times out of 10 it's a yellow for both players.

He swung a punch and connected :confused:

Am i thinking of something else.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I looked at it a number of times and I didn't see any punch being thrown. A hand/slap to the face was all it was. The red card should probably have been upheld but obviously the CCC saw mitigating factors which they didn't see in Connolly's case.

The whole Kevin Keane thing is moot anyway. Connolly deserved his red card, end of story. You simply can't determine on these things based on what other bans have or haven't been handed out. All these cries about 'consistency' are just toys being thrown out of the pram IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Just posted this in the Mayo thread. Interesting stuff..

http://www.the42.ie/diarmuid-connolly-dublin-dra-2310964-Sep2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Any word on Rory O' Carroll? Did he get concussed last Sunday?

• Advertisement

RogerThis wrote: »
    Any word on Rory O' Carroll? Did he get concussed last Sunday?

No, his eye closed up and needed 10 stitches from the vicious assault he was on the wrong end of. Should be ok tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Brusna

Did you look at it again?
    I thought he made a swipe with a half closed hand go get Murphy to release his grip. In my opinion it should have been yellow for both players and I guess the guys in the CPC had the same opinion and rescinded the red to yellow.
    Most people down here (in Mayo) also believe it was a red as well and that it should have stood but most people didn't look at the incident again and can only remember the close up slow motion bit which I admit looks bad. In any case its history now.

No, his eye closed up and needed 10 stitches from the vicious assault he was on the wrong end of. Should be ok tomorrow.

OK, very quick recover for an eye that was closed up. Did he really get stitches?

RogerThis wrote: »
    OK, very quick recover for an eye that was closed up. Did he really get stitches?

Swelling will go down after a few days. 10 stitches. He'll be ok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Wasnt a vicious assault. Get over yourself.

10 stitches are a lot. It must have been a really big cut. For example this rugby player only got 7 stitches. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-1288547/Dan-Coles-stitches-kick-eye-I-played-England-team-won-Australia.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Have it on good authority from someone with Crokes that Rory didn't have to get any stitches

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

I really hope Dublin have worked on the tackle and they don't give away as many kickable frees. My only worry is that they gave a lot of kickable frees away against Fermanagh. It could be a pattern, so the bad tackling might not be easily eradicated. Obviously 2 games isn't enough to draw such conclusions and I can't recall how many kickable frees they gave away in other games this year... But it is a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Limited tickets on sale now on GAA site if anyone wants to try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Have it on good authority from someone with Crokes that Rory didn't have to get any stitches

The cut didn't look that bad nor did the strike, commentator could've been talking crap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement