Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

Cwhyte wrote: »
    How did you jailbreak it out of curiosity?

using this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BktNCG_h58Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Package wrote: »
    Edit: Got it jailbroken but now cant connect to wifi networks? I looked up tips on how to deal with this and it said to reset network settings and rejoin, still cannot connect in cydia or safari even though it says i've succesfully connected in wifi settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I just tried unlocking my 3Gs using this tutorial>

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4417

Though it doesn't say so, I assume that the phone has to be connected to the computer from the off and that iTunes must be closed?

Anyway, with the phone connected, I run the Blackra1n app, click on the Make It Rain button and immediately, my 3Gs shuts down and then asks to be connected to iTunes. (Jailbreak is open with 'Running' in the window, but nothing appears to be happening). If I try to open iTunes, it won't open.

All I can do is disconnect the phone, shut it down and reboot. Then all is well. But, I'm no nearer to unlocking it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

You can only unlock version 3.1.2 at the moment, you must have the latest version of iTunes installed on computer.

There are really only two steps, 1 - jailbreak successfully, 2 - run the Black Snow icon from the springboard on the iPhone.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I heard it isnt possible to downgrade to 3.1.2 (from 3.1.3) on a 3G iPhone, is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

it is posible if ur shsd file is on sauriks server
    i think its called shsd anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 19 murf10

:eek::D
    ucd.1985 wrote: »
    I know 3G iPhone on 2.2.1 can be jailbroken, but can it be unlocked?

:eek:
    guil wrote: »
    it is posible if ur shsd file is on sauriks server
    i think its called shsd anyway

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No doubt there will be numerous threads on this subject, so I thought I would pre-empt them and create a sticky.

Can I use my Vodafone/Meteor/Three SIM in an O2 iPhone?

No. Not until you Jailbreak it and Unlock it.

Jailbreak? Unlock? Sounds scary.

They are not really. Full details are on www.iclarified.com - linky. (includes video)

Ipod Touch unlocking tutorials are here: http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=15

What's the difference between Jailbreaking and iPhone and unlocking it?

Jailbreaking entails allowing you to install non-App Store programs. Unlocking it entails allowing you to use the iPhone on a non-O2 network.

Can't I just buy and unlocked phone?

You can, but not in Ireland/UK/USA. People have reported purchasing iPhones in Belgium and Italy that are unlocked. It is simply a matter of walking into a phone shop and purchasing one, bringing it home, and popping in your SIM card.

Can I unlock the 3Gs?

Yes, details here.

Can I buy a phone in the US and use it over here?

AT&T have just announced (19/3/09) that they are now selling contract-free iPhones.

Unlocking the older 3G model

Evergreen has confirmed here that Ultrasnow has been successfully used on a 3G model iPhone.

Skidmcmarx confirms it is working on Vodadfone, O2 and Meteor here.

drunkmonkey confirms the iPhone working on 3 Ireland here.

In Summary

The 1st Generation can be unlocked and upgraded to OS version 3.0

The 3G iPhone can be unlocked and upgraded to OS version 3.0

The new model, the 3GS can be unlocked using Purplera1n. Details here.

Feel free to add to this as you see fit.
    cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi guys,

I am having a bit of bother with my 3GS iPhone. I jailbreaked it using Blackra1n and it all worked fine. The problem is, when the phone turns off it goes dead and i have to connect it to the laptop and re run blackra1n. Is there anyway i can jailbreak it that allows me to turn off/ respring the iPhone without it going into recovery mode?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am having a bit of bother with my 3GS iPhone. I jailbreaked it using Blackra1n and it all worked fine. The problem is, when the phone turns off it goes dead and i have to connect it to the laptop and re run blackra1n. Is there anyway i can jailbreak it that allows me to turn off/ respring the iPhone without it going into recovery mode?

Thanks

No !

You have the newest bootorm 359.3.2 which requires a tethered jailbreak ,

mixednuts wrote: »
    No !

You have the newest bootorm 359.3.2 which requires a tethered jailbreak ,

Is this the situation for all 3GS models? Is it likely to be ever possible to jailbreak and be able turn on or off the iPhone?

How do i check my "Bootorm"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Is this the situation for all 3GS models? Is it likely to be ever possible to jailbreak and be able turn on or off the iPhone?

How do i check my "Bootorm"?

You don't need to check your bootrom. You have a newer version because you have a tethered jailbreak. It's a known issue and there is no fix for it yet. More than likely there won't be a new untethered jailbreak until Apple releases another major OS update like 4.0 in June.

I have an tethered 3Gs and it's a pain, but I just keep it on 24/7.

Elessar wrote: »
    You don't need to check your bootrom. You have a newer version because you have a tethered jailbreak. It's a known issue and there is no fix for it yet. More than likely there won't be a new untethered jailbreak until Apple releases another major OS update like 4.0 in June.

I have an tethered 3Gs and it's a pain, but I just keep it on 24/7.

Can I ask, do you have bother downloading apps that require a respring? Off Cydia and the likes? I tried once and my iPhone went into recovery mode. Pain in the butt.

Can I ask, do you have bother downloading apps that require a respring? Off Cydia and the likes? I tried once and my iPhone went into recovery mode. Pain in the butt.

Most Cydia Installs need a reboot ...a definite NO NO when on the road with a tethered jailbreak .

Heres a mobile hardware solution for you tethered Jailbreak Guys....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64902542&postcount=1

I only do stuff like that when I'm near a PC because I know I'll need to re-jailbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

I have a jailbroken iphone 2G which I have about 18 months and want to upgrade the software cause I cant get alot of the apps now, once I upgrade it the phone will be locked again. I did it once before but can't find the site that I used and I can't remember how I did it.

Does anyone have a link to a site with a step by step walkthrough?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭karlf

karlf wrote: »
    Lets say some backed up their iphone settings that were 3.1.2 and base band 05.11.07 and saved it to a disk/desktop etc could I use there computer to restore my iphone as these were the original settings on my phone.
    If my phone is in recovery/DFU mode it gives me an option to set up as a new iphone or set up as karls iphone and restore. So if I did it on a friends computer and chose to restore it as their iphone would that work?
    I am thinking no as each phone would have its own serial no etc and itunes would recognise it as a differen phone.
    I have also read that another way of unlocing/jailbreaking is to remove the hardware that contains this info. Has anyone done this or know if it would work?
    Anybody know if this would work?

This excellent matrix should be the 1st link on this sticky .
    Tom what you think ? this on the 1st page of this sticky would really help the less experienced as it shows everything .
    It's also backed up by the "modmy" community so will be constantly updated .

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/

Really great tool (with links) .

Bookmark !

M

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

The regular posters on this thread are doing a great job helping people.

If you buy a new iPhone and it is on 3.1.3, I understand you cannot unlock/jailbreak it. I am considering buying a prepaid one from O2/Vodafone, but I have a few Q's:

1. Can you tell from the box what firmware it is?
    2. If you cannot tell from the box, can you tell before you unlock it?
    3. What are the odds production phones are in retail now with 3.1.3?
    4. Can you buy an unlocked 3gs in retail in Ireland (as opposed to eBay)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭deep1

Does anyone know how to remove Unlock ( done with Blackra!n) as i uninstalled the icon.
    I tried to run blackra!in again but no icon came back.
    Any help appericiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭deep1

deep1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to remove Unlock ( done with Blackra!n) as i uninstalled the icon.
    I tried to run blackra!in again but no icon came back.
    Any help appericiated.

Sorted it.
    If anyone else is in same boat as me. do this.
    Got to Cydia-> Sources-> Add->blackra1n.com
    now search for blacksn0w and uninstall it.
    Now put nay other sim and unlock your o2 ph without restoring.

The regular posters on this thread are doing a great job helping people.

If you buy a new iPhone and it is on 3.1.3, I understand you cannot unlock/jailbreak it. I am considering buying a prepaid one from O2/Vodafone, but I have a few Q's:

1. Can you tell from the box what firmware it is? Kind of (see below)

2. If you cannot tell from the box, can you tell before you unlock it? setting/general/about/version

3. What are the odds production phones are in retail now with 3.1.3?
    see below
    4. Can you buy an unlocked 3gs in retail in Ireland (as opposed to eBay)?
    second hand yes (adverts.ie) officially no

Heres how you may be able to find the firmware of a phone before you purchase/open....

The 3rd digit represents the year ie 9 for 2009
    the 4th & 5th represent the week ie 07 for week 7

So using that logic , firmware 3.1.3 was released 1st week Feb ( week 5 2010 )so you can bet any phone with a serial number showing anything post week 5 2010 will be 3.1.3 .

I reckon there are 3.1.2 phones in 02 shops but you wanna act fast , dont be afraid to ask the shop assistant to check some serials , a sales a sale !

Hope this helps.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Thanks for that.

Anyone know if you buy a prepaid iPhone from Carphone Warehouse, would it make any difference if it was Vodafone vs. O2 i.e. do they have two separate piles iPhones in stock?
    mixednuts wrote: »
    Heres how you may be able to find the firmware of a phone before you purchase/open....

The 3rd digit represents the year ie 9 for 2009
    the 4th & 5th represent the week ie 07 for week 7

So using that logic , firmware 3.1.3 was released 1st week Feb ( week 5 2010 )so you can bet any phone with a serial number showing anything post week 5 2010 will be 3.1.3 .

I reckon there are 3.1.2 phones in 02 shops but you wanna act fast , dont be afraid to ask the shop assistant to check some serials , a sales a sale !

Hope this helps.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

iTunes keeps prompting me to update my Carrier Settings. Will I lose my unlock if I do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 madthing

Hi lads

I bought an iphone 3gs on ebay from 100% trusted seller. Phone was causing problems (coverage wise, freezing etc.) The iphone has 12 months warranty. Apple are replacing it. BUT the new iphone will be on 3.1.3 firmware. Is there anyway that Apple will unlock it for me? Im on O2 but not using their iphone tarrifs so I need an unlocked version. If I went to sell it and get a 3g on 3.1.2 firmware would anyone want it??

:confused::confused::confused:

madthing wrote: »
    Hi lads

I bought an iphone 3gs on ebay from 100% trusted seller. Phone was causing problems (coverage wise, freezing etc.) The iphone has 12 months warranty. Apple are replacing it. BUT the new iphone will be on 3.1.3 firmware. Is there anyway that Apple will unlock it for me? Im on O2 but not using their iphone tarrifs so I need an unlocked version. If I went to sell it and get a 3g on 3.1.2 firmware would anyone want it??

:confused::confused::confused:

No Apple won't unlock it for you. There's currently no jailbreak or unlock solution for 3.1.3. You'll have to use an o2 sim or wait until June/July when Apple should release iPhone OS 4.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 madthing

Elessar wrote: »
    No Apple won't unlock it for you. There's currently no jailbreak or unlock solution for 3.1.3. You'll have to use an o2 sim or wait until June/July when Apple should release iPhone OS 4.0.

what iphone os 4.0? Is that an operating system for mac or the new phone?

madthing wrote: »
    what iphone os 4.0? Is that an operating system for mac or the new phone?

The new phone. It's expected along with a new iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

You won't need to unlock it if you are using O2 as a provider. On the possibility of jailbreak and unlock for 3.13, it seems that Geohot has a solution but is providing no release as of yet. Also, this removes tethering for anyone interested. Check the details and video here

Cheers

Advertisement