Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an unlocked iPhone in Belgium - the FAQ

Options
  • 09-06-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Disclaimer; This is based on my own experiences, and experiences of one or two other similar buyers. However, I did do a lot of research before buying the phone.

Question 1: If I buy an iphone in Belgium is it locked to a carrier?
    No. You can put ANY 3G SIM card into it, and it will work. I have successfully used three, O2, meteor and Vodafone in Ireland. My research also indicates that the same applies worldwide.

Question 2: If I buy an iphone in Belgium is it locked to use on the Belgian network?
    No. See Question 8.

Question 3: Are you really sure about question 1 and 2?
    Yes.

Question 4: Do I need to purchase a contract at the same time as the phone?
    No.

Question 5: Do I need to purchase a PAYG SIM at the same time as the phone?
    No.

Question 6: Do I need to ‘jailbreak’ or ‘unlock’ or ‘turboSIM’ the phone for it to work?
    No.

Question 7: Will the iphone have all the same features as it would with an official carrier?
    Yes (with the exception of visual voicemail, which is not supported by O2 anyway).

Question 8: The guy in the Mobistar/Saturn/O2 shop in Brussels told me that you are wrong about Question 2 – it IS locked to Belgium!
    He’s wrong. Maybe he’s misinformed, maybe he’s just trying to sell you a contract / PAYG SIM.

Question 9: Why is this the case in Belgium?
    It’s the law. You basically cannot subsidise the cost of a phone with the cost of a phone contract. However please note this law is being challenged, and may not last forever.
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock#Belgium for more information.

Question 10: What about phones bought in Italy?
    Answer: I don’t know 100%. I believe the same applies in Italy, but there is some talk of a COUNTRY lock not a CARRIER lock.

Question 11: What about phones bought in [Hong Kong / Taiwan / Japan]?
    Answer: I don’t know 100%. There are some other countries where the rule applies, but I have no first hand experience.

Question 12: Is the iphone still under warranty if I use it in Ireland?
    Yes. See Question 13.

Question 13: If it gets a problem can I contact Apple in Ireland or drop into and Apple store?
    Probably not. I couldn’t. See Question 14.

Question 14: How the hell do I return it if it develops a problem?
    Contact these guys; http://cms.dynafix.com/ - they do the Apple warranty repairs in Belgium and Holland.

Question 15: What do I tell dynafix?
    Tell them the truth! This is what I sent them;
    “Hello,
    I have an iPhone 3G that I purchased in Antwerp on 31st December 2009.
    It has developed a small fault. Occasionally the touch screen is completely unresponsive – sometimes a hard-reset solves the problem, but sometimes I have to do it multiple times before the screen will become responsive. I have tried to restore, I have tried to reinstall itunes, but the problem is still there.
    I live in Ireland and have contacted Apple support here but they tell me I have to bring the phone to a Apple Service Centre in Belgium, and they suggested I contact you as I believe you do iPhone repairs in Belgium.
    Can you tell me if it is possible to send my iphone to your location via courier, for warranty repair?
    I am happy to pay for the cost of the courier if required.
    Regards,
    Dave”

Question 16: What will they ask me to do?
    This is what they told me:
    “Hello,
    Where did you buy the phone?
    If this phone was bought in the Netherlands or in Belgium, you can indeed send it to us for repair.
    Otherwise we can’t accept it.
    Unfortunately we also don’t know which company can repair your phone in that case.
    If you bought the phone in the Netherlands or Belgium, you can sent it to our repair centre in the Netherlands. Here are the instructions for sending the phone to us.
    You can send the phone to:
    Dynafix After Sales Services
    Daelderweg 21
    6361 HK Nuth
    It is important that the phone is sent registered, it can be checked that the phone has arrived. To be able to claim the guarantee you need to send a copy of purchase along with the phone. We also request to sent an accompanying essay letter with in this a clear description of your complaint and indication of your name and address data.
    If your phone bursts out regularly, has short standby time or doesn’t start up you need to send the battery and charger along. Accessories which have nothing to do with the complaint, like covers or simcards, should not be send to us. If you nevertheless send these accessories then it is at your own risk, Dynafix can never be held responsible for loss or damage.
    Since we will provide your phone with the newest software it is possible that data which is in your phone can be lost. It is therefore we advise to store these data at your sim- / memory card before u send the phone.
    If the repair of your phone does not fall within the guarantee conditions of the manufacturer, you must consider that we charge research costs with a minimum of € 35.70. At repairing we will send you an invoice on which you can indicate if you agree with the repair.
    If nevertheless something is not yet clear you can contact us for your questions.”

Question 17: Will they charge me for the repair?
    No, if it is a genuine in-warranty problem.
    Yes, if not (see bolded part of Question 16).

Question 18: Where should I buy it?
    I recommend a larger shop, such as Saturn. They’ll have good stock and will probably give you a two year warranty (and a large, detailed, receipt).

Question 19: How much does it cost?
    In Dec 2008 my 3G 8GB cost €525 and the 16GB was €600 or so.
    With the new models this will have changed.
    HOWEVER: I went to a lot of shops (including Apple shops) and the prices were 100% consistent between all shops (no surprise there).

Question 20: Can you upgrade software / apps as normal on itunes?
    Yes.

Question 21: What language is the phone in?
    It picked up the correct language from itunes when I activated it.

Question 22: Do you have to activate in the shop?
    No, I activated at home.

Question 23: Do you need a Belgian itunes account?
    No. Mine works fine.

Question 24: Would you recommend getting one?
    Yes, especially for the user who doesn’t want to use O2 but also doesn’t want to void their warranty by unlocking.

Question 25: Any other advice?
    Buy in a big store.
    Keep your receipt.
    Add your phone to house insurance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Nice guide. A few things though...

Question 10 - There is no such thing as a country lock, it's either Network locked or unlocked to anyone.

Question 13, 14 & 17 - Apple will fix this for you for free (in warrenty) and it doesn't have to go to Belgium, I did this with my iPod Touch I got from Japan, shipped to the UK and back within a week, Apple even sent me the prepaid box packaging - https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭3DataModem

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Question 10 - There is no such thing as a country lock, it's either Network locked or unlocked to anyone.

I know that. But shops claim otherwise. It's a "frequently asked question" not a "frequently asked sensible question".
    Question 13, 14 & 17 - Apple will fix this for you for free (in warrenty) and it doesn't have to go to Belgium, I did this with my iPod Touch I got from Japan, shipped to the UK and back within a week, Apple even sent me the prepaid box packaging - https://support.apple.com/repairstatus

There's a big difference between saying a Japanese iphone will be fixed by Apple UK and a Belgian iphone will be fixed by Apple Ireland. Hence word "probably".

3DataModem wrote: »
    I know that. But shops claim otherwise. It's a "frequently asked question" not a "frequently asked sensible question".
    True, just pointing that out. It's what they probably say (as you said) to get customers to stick with their network.
    There's a big difference between saying a Japanese iphone will be fixed by Apple UK and a Belgian iphone will be fixed by Apple Ireland. Hence word "probably".
    It's actually irrelevant, the country it's sold in doesn't make a difference since they all come from Apple - if it's in warranty, they'll fix it for you.

This is the same with Nokia (who base it on IMEI and Product Code, Apple use the IMEI and Serial Number).

It's actually irrelevant, the country it's sold in doesn't make a difference since they all come from Apple - if it's in warranty, they'll fix it for you.

That is just not true. Read your warranty.

It is EXPLICITLY stated in the warranty that the phone must be returned in the country of purchase.

SOME apple retailers / dealers will fix your phone in SOME countries, but that is not guaranteed by the warranty.

I know a number of people including myself who have had to do this.

That is just not true. Read your warranty.

It is EXPLICITLY stated in the warranty that the phone must be returned in the country of purchase.

SOME apple retailers / dealers will fix your phone in SOME countries, but that is not guaranteed by the warranty.

I know a number of people including myself who have had to do this.
    I've bought plenty of items of eBay not from Ireland (Apple, Nokia, Sony etc.) and the warranty always covers me to get it fixed regardless of where I bought it but it's your guide, include what you wish.

• Advertisement

I've bought plenty of items of eBay not from Ireland (Apple, Nokia, Sony etc.) and the warranty always covers me to get it fixed

Me too!

Apple just don't guarantee that. And in my case didn't do that. So that's what I've posted above.
    but it's your guide, include what you wish.

I'll include facts, and some speculation clearly marked as such.

I WON'T include speculation and circumstantial evidence quoted as fact.

I didn't include speculation I'll have you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok ladies, put the handbags down.

I'll sticky this now.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ok ladies, put the handbags down.

OK this is me hugging cpu-dude. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

excellent thread ... well worth a sticky , nice one 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

unless you are traveling to Belguim why bother..... you can buy an unlocked 16G here for an extra 99€ + delievery and get it delivered to your door..... not travel costs.... no extra travel cost with Ryanair.... no onward travel costs with ryanair. no taking a day off work to get a cheaper flight..... the list could go on and on....

please correct me if i'm wrong

http://www.expansys.ie/pf.aspx?i=173895

Soot-fan wrote: »
    unless you are traveling to Belguim why bother..... you can buy an unlocked 16G here for an extra 99€ + delievery and get it delivered to your door..... not travel costs.... no extra travel cost with Ryanair.... no onward travel costs with ryanair. no taking a day off work to get a cheaper flight..... the list could go on and on....

please correct me if i'm wrong

http://www.expansys.ie/pf.aspx?i=173895

Looks good. They seem to be Italian iphones. The only question I would have is how you would execute your warranty - but I guess expansys are a pretty reliable retailer so go for it.

Also, it's a 3G not a 3GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭RAWLiNGS

Hi everyone, I was looking around and came across this page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937 at the top it says last modified 1 June 2009, furthermore, I checked it on the Hungarian T-mobile site, the iPhone 3G costs around 490euro, and 30 euro to unlock it officially by T-mobile, I'm planning to ring them to confirm...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Great post OP. If only I wasnt in contract with O2. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Nice guide. A few things though...

Question 13, 14 & 17 - Apple will fix this for you for free (in warrenty) and it doesn't have to go to Belgium, I did this with my iPod Touch I got from Japan, shipped to the UK and back within a week, Apple even sent me the prepaid box packaging - https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Wrong.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock

cojomo2 wrote: »

Remember, Wikipedia can be updated by anyone.

I wouldn't take that 100% truth until I hear it from a more reputable source.

Actually, I did a project on the GSM standard waaaaaay back, and I know I have a techie book on it somewhere. Might dig it out when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Evergreen

cojomo2 wrote: »

Oh yes, Wikipedia, the bastion of truth.......

Go to the apple support website and it lists all the carriers they deal with around the World and information on if the phone is locked/unlocked, if the carrier will unlock it etc.

There is no mention anywhere about a country lock http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I'm off to Italy 17 July, then would you believe Brussels for a stag on the 24 of July, the 2 countries where you can walk into a store and buy an unlocked over the counter iPhone, no BS and a bag of strings like you get with o2, defo picking me up an iPhone 3gs when I'm there,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

BOBBY wrote: »
    I'm off to Italy 17 July, then would you believe Brussels for a stag on the 24 of July, the 2 countries where you can walk into a store and buy an unlocked over the counter iPhone, no BS and a bag of strings like you get with o2, defo picking me up an iPhone 3gs when I'm there,

*writes shopping list for Bobby* :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭carrollmark

Is the 3GS available in stores in Belgium yet?

Anyone got any idea of the price?

If I buy one and bring it back, stick in my vodafone 3g sim card will the phone work exactly the same as if I'd got it from o2? Same internet functionality etc?

Is the 3GS available in stores in Belgium yet?

Anyone got any idea of the price?

If I buy one and bring it back, stick in my vodafone 3g sim card will the phone work exactly the same as if I'd got it from o2? Same internet functionality etc?

All your questions have been answered numerous times already on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

The price question hasn't, people have estimated how much it will cost based on previous versions. If anyone gets an official price can you put it up please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TT Bone

Ok, I get that the iPhone tarriff is expensive, but it includes 1 GB of internet usage p/m. The other networks here would charge you about €20 for 1GB on their contract plans, on top of your calls/texts.
    So if your going to use your browsing/downloading heavily, your better off just getting your iPhone here with o2, right:confused: Especially as it'll cost about €200 cheaper than importing one from Belgium/ Europe.
    Feel free to put me straight here:)

TT Bone wrote: »

Not everybody wants an 18 month contract and not everybody wants to pay €40 a month to O2.

Ok, I get that the iPhone tarriff is expensive, but it includes 1 GB of internet usage p/m. The other networks here would charge you about €20 for 1GB on their contract plans, on top of your calls/texts.
    So if your going to use your browsing/downloading heavily, your better off just getting your iPhone here with o2, right:confused: Especially as it'll cost about €200 cheaper than importing one from Belgium/ Europe.

I have Relax 90 on 3 with a data add on.

Relax 90 gives me 90 minutes or 270 texts plus 90 three to three minutes for 19 per month. The 1gb data add on is 9.99 per month so I am paying 28.99 per month total for all the iPhone I want. I also can avail of these prices in uk, Italy etc with the 3 like home facility.

I have Relax 90 on 3 with a data add on.

Relax 90 gives me 90 minutes or 270 texts plus 90 three to three minutes for 19 per month. The 1gb data add on is 9.99 per month so I am paying 28.99 per month total for all the iPhone I want. I also can avail of these prices in uk, Italy etc with the 3 like home facility.

That does look Ok actually, your saving appx. €650 compared with an o2 18 month contract, less the difference in phone price which is actually around €400. Then factor in the free roaming abroad and looks like a good deal. I'm on relax 350 with 3 at the minute, in process of cancelling! Having second thoughts now though :confused:. This is going to require some thought!

Thanks for the post 3~(I think:D!)

That does look Ok actually, your saving appx. €650 compared with an o2 18 month contract, less the difference in phone price which is actually around €400. Then factor in the free roaming abroad and looks like a good deal. I'm on relax 350 with 3 at the minute, in process of cancelling! Having second thoughts now though :confused:. This is going to require some thought!

Thanks for the post 3~(I think:D!)

And what I like best about it is I can change whenever I want! I can move to meteor, O2, Voda or whoever without worrying about unlocking my phone.

Yeah thats appealing to me alright! Would you chance buying from ebay? found this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-IN-BOX-Apple-iPhone-3G-S-32GB-BLACK-WHITE-UNLOCKED_W0QQitemZ400057309539QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCell_Phones?hash=item5d25461963&_trksid=p4634.m333.l1262

Powerseller, good feedback. Wary though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I would say thats a scam......the fact he says its unlocked, well thats impossible right now. Also, he will only deal with you if you email him at his gmail address....stinks of scam to me.

Advertisement