Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought an Iphone white 32GB

Options
  • 30-06-2009 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I received a legally unlocked White 32GB Iphone from Italy this morning. bought it off Ebay.

I got P%%%ed off waiting on O2 and their so called "No stock problems this time" bull.

Works like a dream on Vodafone. No problems at all and im saving 15 euro a month being on Vodafone with their data package.

The phone itself was expensive but the 15 euro saving per month, better service, and no ties to any operator make up for this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

WarrenB wrote: »
    I received a legally unlocked White 32GB Iphone from Italy this morning. bought it off Ebay.

I got P%%%ed off waiting on O2 and their so called "No stock problems this time" bull.

Works like a dream on Vodafone. No problems at all and im saving 15 euro a month being on Vodafone with their data package.

The phone itself was expensive but the 15 euro saving per month, better service, and no ties to any operator make up for this
    I'm guessing €700 expensive yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I'm guessing €1000 expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I considered doing this too, but you're paying a huge initial cost for the privilege of being able to choose your own network provider. To me it seemed a lot lot cheaper to go billpay with O2, at least from my point of view.

The way I looked at it is, my old contract with Vodafone averaged at about €30 per month. My new contract with 02 is €45 per month, but it does include a decent data allowance and way more minutes than I'll ever use (actually I'd prefer less minutes and more texts to be honest).

So €15 per month, means it'll cost me €180 more than my old phone over the course of 12 months, plus the initial €199 ==> total €380... I'd say the unlocked phone cost significantly more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WarrenB

1000 is correct. Expensive but as i said keeps me away from O2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

That's insane! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

O2 could be a lot better but wouldn't pay almost five times as much for an unlocked phone compared to extending my contract for €219 for a 32Gb. Personally I'd make do with O2 and use the rest of the cash towards one of those nice new macbook pros or something else.

That's quite a premium to pay, you must really dislike O2 !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

OUCH!:eek:

But if you were to buy it off O2, the cost would be €299 plus €40 a month x 18 months = €1020.

Recession? What recession? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ok now thats just insane, no offence.

1000 euro for a 32gb iPhone??? Its barely different from the 3G phone. For that price you could of got a 32gb iPod touch and a cheaper(:p compared to 1000 euro) and much more well-featured phone like a N97, Omnia, Pre. Whatever.

1000 for an iphone is just mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    OUCH!:eek:

But if you were to buy it off O2, the cost would be €299 plus €40 a month x 18 months = €1020.

Recession? What recession? :)

But for that price you get the phone and 18 months worth or calls, text and data. He is just getting a phone for €1000, now he gotta go and buy phone credit or pay a bill on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You could have flown to Italy to pick it up yourself for less :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Stephen wrote: »
    You could have flown to Italy to pick it up yourself for less :pac:

This is quite close to being true. I got a return flight to Milan for 105 euro and the 32GB phone there is about 700 euro I think. Although I don't think you can fly back the same day with Aer Lingus so you'd probably have to factor in a nights accomodation and some food as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

This is quite close to being true. I got a return flight to Milan for 105 euro and the 32GB phone there is about 700 euro I think. Although I don't think you can fly back the same day with Aer Lingus so you'd probably have to factor in a nights accomodation and some food as well.

You can fly to Bergamo for about €80 return, the Orio Centre is across the road from the airport, linked by an underpass. Go in get your phone, back across to the airport & get back on the same plane you arrived on...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I agree it's mad but the iPhone is far superior to the n97 I have used the
    both for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭w@ll3gurl

Bluefoam wrote: »
    You can fly to Bergamo for about €80 return, the Orio Centre is across the road from the airport, linked by an underpass. Go in get your phone, back across to the airport & get back on the same plane you arrived on...

that'd be gas for the craic. Amazing what ya can do with all these cheap flights. :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Skyuser wrote: »
    But for that price you get the phone and 18 months worth or calls, text and data. He is just getting a phone for €1000, now he gotta go and buy phone credit or pay a bill on top of that.
    Indeed - my €45 a months covers ALL my usage.

Someone in Italy is getting a new Vespa!

Skyuser wrote: »

Agreed. It's kinda mis-leading to compare the cost of the 18 month contract versus buying it SIM free. For that €1020, you're also getting 18GB of data, 3150 minutes and 1800 texts ;)

How much would all that usage cost on pre-pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

:eek:
    Unless o2 have done something to harm your family, there is no justifiable reason to spend that much money to be on a different network.
    More money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Ah, no offence (cue incoming offence) but the saying a fool and his money comes to mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

The way I see it, it's his money and he's free to spend it as he wishes.

• Advertisement

give the lad a break.. hate when people don't have the cop on to nod and smile instead of makin someone regret somethin they can't change.

give the lad a break.. hate when people don't have the cop on to nod and smile instead of makin someone regret somethin they can't change.

Thanks. Its just typical Irish begrudging. You cant post anything on here without people jumping down your throat.

I couldnt care less that i paid that much to be honest. I now have a white Iphone 32GB and god knows when O2 will have these in stock, maybe never, as they cant even stock the black ones right now.

Also,I sold my itouch 32GB which i bought in the US so that knocks some of the cost off.

Dont regret it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wow, 15 a month, so you'll make back the extra you paid in around 5 years???

Dont regret it at all.

And that's what is important. :)

Mellor wrote: »
    Wow, 15 a month, so you'll make back the extra you paid in around 5 years???

I couldn`t give a s%%t about "making back the extra i paid"

The whole point of this post was to let people know that buying a legally unlocked phone off Ebay from Italy does actually work as expected.
    Buy it if you want and you can be confident that it will work. Just sharing my experience.

FFS.

The whole point of this post was to let people know that buying a legally unlocked phone off Ebay from Italy does actually work as expected.
    Buy it if you want and you can be confident that it will work. Just sharing my experience.

Listen, don't mind what others say. You are happy, that is the main thing.

Plus, your experiences are VERY beneficial to this forum. At least people know now that there are no problems with buying a 3GS in Italy and putting an Irish SIM into it.

I'll update the sticky later today with this information.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Listen, don't mind what others say. You are happy, that is the main thing.

Plus, your experiences are VERY beneficial to this forum. At least people know now that there are no problems with buying a 3GS in Italy and putting an Irish SIM into it.

I'll update the sticky later today with this information.

Cheers. Also if anyone does buy one from Italy or Belgium, another tip for Vodafone users.

Subscribe to the "ISP 1GB promo" offer for internet usage for 9.99 a month. This gives you 1GB data. BUT REMEMBER you need to setup your APN in the iPhone network settings to the following :-

APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    User Name: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

This is crucial. You have to go through the vodafone ISP or you will be billed a small fortune for internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Wouldnt it just be cheaper to buy from o2 prepay? and then unlock it?

miralize wrote: »
    Wouldnt it just be cheaper to buy from o2 prepay? and then unlock it?

You can't unlock the 3GS.

As pointed out in the Sticky at the top of the forum. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I picked up a black 16gb 3GS yesterday in Cork. Only one shop in the city and surrounding towns (Bandon, fermoy etc.) had them in stock, at that they had quite a few in stock amazingly seeing as the rest were empty.

O2 in Wilton had a waiting list of 50+ :eek:

€129 on the contract which is 175 any network minutes and 100 any network texts per month. I'm delighted with it.

I don't mind the contract since i needed an ipod too so i get a new phone and an iTouch in one for cheaper than the price of buying both seperately.

Advertisement