Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

CiniO wrote: »
    I wonder whose fault was that?

This is the location of the crash ... http://goo.gl/maps/FjZqa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

bear1 wrote: »
    How much would a fully kitted ambulance cost?

about €150,000 estimate.

but a good €50k of that would be the equipment inside, which would be reusable.

*only echoing what i hear from a friend in the industry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Mick55 wrote: »
    Just beat me to it! It looks like the geep was going through a green light ( Just a guess as he seems to be driving confidently/ aggressively), also looks like he was going too fast. Granted the ambulance may have ran a red light but some cautious driving on the geeps part could have easily averted it. Lucky no one was seriously injured. Imagine being in a bad way in the back of the ambulance and that happening, could have been nasty!

http://www.thejournal.ie/crash-dublin-ambulance-1411259-Apr2014/

I was once on my way to hospital after a motorbike accident when some doddery oul f"ck (ambulance drivers words) pulled straight out in front of us even though he had full view of us from way back. We didn't crash but the poor paramedic/ambulance dude in the back looking after me almost ended up in the same condition as me after being flung forward through the ambulance. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

jimbis wrote: »
    I was once on my way to hospital after a motorbike accident when some doddery oul f"ck (ambulance drivers words) pulled straight out in front of us even though he had full view of us from way back. We didn't crash but the poor paramedic/ambulance dude in the back looking after me almost ended up in the same condition as me after being flung forward through the ambulance. :eek:

I know the type and I met them many times. They see you coming from way off, wait for the last second and then pull off. Sadly they are good at it and know to judge it to the last millisecond, so you have to hop on the brakes but its not close enough that its a good enough excuse to T-bone them and take their insurance for every penny possible.
    A friend if mine once freaked it after one too many old bastard pulled out on him. He overtook him and forced him to stop, walked up to his window and asked politely (less than 50 swearwords) why the fcuking hell he pulled out in front if him, even he was clearly visible from half a mile away and why did he wait till the last second.
    Old bastard: "I thought you where driving too fast".
    So if some old bastard pulls out on you at the very last second even though he saw you coming a mile off, yes he saw you, yes he did it on purpose, yes it was done to piss you off, because they are insane old men who are on about 50 types of medication and mad as a brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So if some old bastard pulls out on you at the very last second even though he saw you coming a mile off, yes he saw you, yes he did it on purpose, yes it was done to piss you off, because they are insane old men who are on about 50 types of medication and mad as a brush.

You mean someone like this??

I was doing 80km/h (speed limit). He pulled over, not really that close to me, but he failed to reasonably accelerate, forcing me to brake from 80km/h to about 20km/h. When I beeped the horn at him, he stopped completely.
    When passing him, I had a look at him, and it was some old grumpy looking fella. After I passed him, he had no trouble at all to step on the throttle to sit on my ar$e for next 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

How about this? A car seemingly appears out of nowhere at this intersection, most likely a trick of the camera but it really looks like the car just appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I was doing 80km/h (speed limit). He pulled over, not really that close to me, but he failed to reasonably accelerate, forcing me to brake from 80km/h to about 20km/h. When I beeped the horn at him, he stopped completely.
    When passing him, I had a look at him, and it was some old grumpy looking fella. After I passed him, he had no trouble at all to step on the throttle to sit on my ar$e for next 5 minutes.

''You want to beep at me? I'll show you. We'll just sit here and give each other menacing looks. That'll teach him'' :mad:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Lads, forgive me if I sound like a complete tool here, but can anyone recommend a programme or whatever to edit some footage. Looking to cut out some audio, cut some parts and most importantly - flip some upside down footage.

Cheers.
    I'm a complete tool when it comes to this...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The fact that he sat on your bumper shows his intent from the start, "I'l show this fella for driving the speed limit!".

Shocking behaviour to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Kaiser D, I use Windows Movie Maker - it is competent, easy to use, a bit basic but best of all, free

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/movie-maker#t1=overview

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Lads, forgive me if I sound like a complete tool here, but can anyone recommend a programme or whatever to edit some footage. Looking to cut out some audio, cut some parts and most importantly - flip some upside down footage.

Cheers.
    I'm a complete tool when it comes to this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The Dagda wrote: »
    There is not "a constant stream of 2 lanes of traffic trying to merge at high speed". It's not Beijing. It's busy at certain parts of the day.

It takes 5 seconds to move lanes. Potential traffic is no excuse for hogging the middle lane.

I drive it about 20-30 times per week. Positioning yourself in the middle lane is the sensible thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

General question.....when the micro sd card becomes full, do dash cams auto erase card and start again or does one have to take the thing out every day and delete same on a main frame? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

They automatically delete the oldest recordings over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I drive it about 20-30 times per week. Positioning yourself in the middle lane is the sensible thing to do.

I have driven it on a daily basis too. The sensible thing to do is drive in the correct lane to the actual traffic conditions, not based on what might happen.

I have driven it on a daily basis too. The sensible thing to do is drive in the correct lane to the actual traffic conditions, not based on what might happen.

Ah ya, sur why should you anticipate events happening ahead. That would be silly.

I'd say you're a great driver.

Ah ya, sur why should you anticipate events happening ahead. That would be silly.

I'd say you're a great driver.

You're right, we shouldn't call it driving in the wrong lane, we should call it anticipation.

I'd say you're an amazing driver, with those psychic abilities... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Accident blackspot at the Cobh junction heading from Midleton to Cork.

Routinely local traffic moves over into the 'fast' lane to facilitate fast mixing of Cobh traffic on to the motorway.

It can be quite cool to watch as all locals knows the danger and there has been multiple pileups and deaths at this run-on junction.

Regular travellers will also observe traffic in the correct lane taking avoiding action as 'unexpected' traffic emerges from their left.

The merging traffic has to merge, arguably the merge is not long enough and so on, however, it is customary to reoutinly move over inot the 'fast' lane, allow merge and move back over to the left.

Laugh and pontificate all you like ~ it's better than being wrecked and worse.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Accident blackspot at the Cobh junction heading from Midleton to Cork.

Routinely local traffic moves over into the 'fast' lane to facilitate fast mixing of Cobh traffic on to the motorway.

It can be quite cool to watch as all locals knows the danger and there has been multiple pileups and deaths at this run-on junction.

Regular travellers will also observe traffic in the correct lane taking avoiding action as 'unexpected' traffic emerges from their left.

The merging traffic has to merge, arguably the merge is not long enough and so on, however, it is customary to reoutinly move over inot the 'fast' lane, allow merge and move back over to the left.

Laugh and pontificate all you like ~ it's better than being wrecked and worse.

I am advocating exactly as you describe - moving lane to allow traffic merge.

Others are suggesting you should be in the "wrong" lane as you approach particular junctions, in "anticipation" of something that may or may not be there.

That is just laziness and plain wrong.

You're right, we shouldn't call it driving in the wrong lane, we should call it anticipation.

I'd say you're an amazing driver, with those psychic abilities... :rolleyes:

Nothing psychic about it. As I said I drive it a few times per day and I know from experience that there is merging traffic ahead so I would position myself in the middle lane a few hundred meters in advance.

I am a decent driver alright, that is true. At least not everything you say is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Can we all just agree that cork people are a law onto themselves and do what they like and move the fück on. Getting sick of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Only from my iphone app, youtube fecks up the quality, it's perfect before uploading then its all jittery and blurry :mad:.

First one has the silver focus with a mudflad looking to escape(its hard to see) then the driver who doesn't like to leave the white lines.

Secound one happens nearly every day, not paying attention to road markings. The video doesn't show it but it was an elderly guy driving and he jumped when i tapped the horn so its obvious he wasn't checking any mirrors

Is their any way to improve the quality when uploading to youtube as the videos are HD but lose quality when uploaded ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Is their any way to improve the quality when uploading to youtube as the videos are HD but lose quality when uploaded ?

Try free Vimeo, much better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

cormie wrote: »
    wtf
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

BigEejit wrote: »
    What?

Guy pulling child across the road at about 0:19 (from left to right) in a buggy, child falls out when trying to pull buggy up onto footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Hah, didn't even notice ...what sort of nutter pulls a child across a road on a little trolley like that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sure it's only London city with a big bus coming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I heard the sirens, saw the ambulance coming up on my outside, so I hung back, just in case he was turning left at the junction ahead. He went straight on and I stopped at the red light. All good so far, and then someone in a bit of a hurry decided red lights didn't apply to them.

Yes, maybe the driver was connected somehow with the ambulance and it's occupant, but still..................

http://youtu.be/75NWd53V3P4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

sogood wrote: »
    I heard the sirens, saw the ambulance coming up on my outside, so I hung back, just in case he was turning left at the junction ahead. He went straight on and I stopped at the red light. All good so far, and then someone in a bit of a hurry decided red lights didn't apply to them.

That's why I always look around at a green light.
    It only says it's legal to go, not safe to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Sobanek wrote: »
    That's why I always look around at a green light.
    It only says it's legal to go, not safe to go.

Did you ever drive in Poland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement