Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

bladebrew wrote: »

Edit short version: sogood is correct, it's sensible to leave room at this busy merge, common sense wins and the left lane ends in about 500metres anyway

How is 40 seconds of driving in middle lane before the merge justified?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

CiniO wrote: »

Come down to Cork and I will show you:) i do agree he was in the middle maybe a bit early, but that particular area is a nightmare, I am always in the middle lane there, and that lane ends anyway just around the corner, it saves a lot of trouble just staying in the middle and letting the lunatics merge,

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Is there not a middle lane thread already??????????????????????????????????????

Where are the vids!! All I see here is BS ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I find this whole thread in general far too confusing. Can we possibly NAME the video and people replying quote the Name.

Like Jack Russel Survives so I can simply go back and find the OP for that. I know some of the places being mentioned, but so many of the videos look similar.

Just a thought.

People arguing about the middle lane in Cork [ie not using it] are not correct, one must travel in the middle lane in the area in question. Our new[ish] road system has provision for slow and bulky traffic, like Tractors, and especially the flyovers, where installed they are in essence a slow lane and should not be used by normal traffic in normal motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

For those of you who don't venture much outside the Pale, think of it like the N7 coming up to exit 9 Sallins/Naas North. There's three lanes and the leftmost lane turns into an exit lane, it's the same thing here the left lane turns into the off ramp for Douglas just ahead of where the video stops. In all my years driving the N7 people always drive the middle lane instead of the leftmost lane probably because they consider it the lane for exiting or perhaps they are afraid of getting boxed in on it. And believe me the Dublin drivers hog the middle lane for miles, not just for 40 seconds.

IMO OP is dead right, do the same myself on that junction as it's dangerous, if you take the leftmost lane you still have two lanes of traffic trying to merge from your left and two lanes to your right and you need to move right one lane to avoid being funneled down the off ramp to Douglas..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

The high horse brigade need a trip to Cork, the comments about the video here are getting ridiculous, I know this road well I worked on one side and lived on the other, so I drove it everyday, the lights at the roundabout below this flyover releases 2 lanes of traffic which have a fairly short journey to merge at 100km/h, needless to say this leads to people trying to merge at anywhere between 60-120km/h, nobody drives down the left here,
    A few hundred metres beyond where the video ends the left lane turns off to Douglas and then it turns back into 2 lanes until after the Jack lynch tunnel,
    One incident when I was in the left lane here resulted in a learner panicking when I slowed to let her merge she swerved at me then hit the brakes, I sped up a bit she then swerved across all the hatching back towards the hard shoulder,
    A little bit of local knowledge will go a longer way to prevent an accident than looking at rules trying to cover every road in the country,
    And this is from a person who spends his time on the N7 in the left lane with only Stobart trucks around me while every one cruises down the middle lane,
    And I have just been in Australia where at every junction everyone moves to the outside lane, let's everyone merge then everyone moves back to the left, so if the high horse brigade head over and drive only in the left lane they will cause mayhem!

Edit short version: sogood is correct, it's sensible to leave room at this busy merge, common sense wins and the left lane ends in about 500metres anyway
    Thank you. I use this road regularly and so, I let experience and common sense prevail. I'm not condoning "lane hogging" per se and I understand the attitude and opinions of some of the posters. If I was seen to be "lane hogging" so be it. Anyway, the original vid is posted a few pages back for those interested in the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Here's a little compilation from the vans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

iSU6HlAVJnPZT.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

Amazing how little damage was done to the car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

cormie wrote: »
    Here's a little compilation from the vans

Where were you when the cars didn't like you parallel parking? I had someone tailgate me to stop me parking like that before in Roscommon town, he did it three time, beeped and blocked me when the white lights came on. Found it very odd. Never happened to me before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Where were you when the cars didn't like you parallel parking? I had someone tailgate me to stop me parking like that before in Roscommon town, he did it three time, beeped and blocked me when the white lights came on. Found it very odd. Never happened to me before.

Use your indicators next time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Use your indicators next time :pac:

Ha!! It's ok, I had my fog lights on.

That was in Bray, it was just an oldish man, it was my passenger saying "it's ok it's ok" waving at him from the passenger seat :P I think he probably just thought I didn't see him.

I had similar happen before, trying to park in one space, indicated, slowed, stopped, into reverse with reverse lights on and the car behind just comes right up behind me and blocks the turn. I saw another space just a bit further up so slowed down, before the space, put the hazards on creeping forward, turned them off and indicated in and the same thing, just pulls up right behind me blocking the space :rolleyes: I think it was more ignorance than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

The high horse brigade need a trip to Cork, the comments about the video here are getting ridiculous, I know this road well I worked on one side and lived on the other, so I drove it everyday, the lights at the roundabout below this flyover releases 2 lanes of traffic which have a fairly short journey to merge at 100km/h, needless to say this leads to people trying to merge at anywhere between 60-120km/h, nobody drives down the left here,
    A few hundred metres beyond where the video ends the left lane turns off to Douglas and then it turns back into 2 lanes until after the Jack lynch tunnel,
    One incident when I was in the left lane here resulted in a learner panicking when I slowed to let her merge she swerved at me then hit the brakes, I sped up a bit she then swerved across all the hatching back towards the hard shoulder,
    A little bit of local knowledge will go a longer way to prevent an accident than looking at rules trying to cover every road in the country,
    And this is from a person who spends his time on the N7 in the left lane with only Stobart trucks around me while every one cruises down the middle lane,
    And I have just been in Australia where at every junction everyone moves to the outside lane, let's everyone merge then everyone moves back to the left, so if the high horse brigade head over and drive only in the left lane they will cause mayhem!

I travelled that road daily when I lived in Cork and your description is very good, but using the excuse that "I know this road so I'm only doing this (hogging the middle lane) because of idiots further down the road", is one that everybody who doesn't use lanes correctly can use, to some extent.

It takes 5 seconds to move lane, and if you have to move lane because of someone else, then do. Don't hog the lane "in case" someone does something. Drive correctly, and if something happens THEN take corrective action.

Leaving room at that merge does not solely mean hogging the outside lanes. You can slow down, drive in the correct lane and move if neccessary.

Laziness/carelessness is the main reason people hog lanes, and it's a lazy, and arrogant argument to use the "I know the road so I can do this" excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I forgot to save the clip before it was overwritten, but yesterday morning at around 08:15 on the M1 southbound just before the airport exit, there was a guy stopped half-way in the overtaking lane (there's a narrow heard shoulder type space on the right of the lane) who appeared to be changing a wheel :eek:

BMJD wrote: »
    I forgot to save the clip before it was overwritten, but yesterday morning at around 08:15 on the M1 southbound just before the airport exit, there was a guy stopped half-way in the overtaking lane (there's a narrow heard shoulder type space on the right of the lane) who appeared to be changing a wheel :eek:

Maybe he couldn't make it to left hard shoulder, as other drivers were undertaking him after he got puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

cormie wrote: »
    Here's a little compilation from the vans :)

[

Fair sure that was a loading area he was parked in.

Tell him to get the F out of there unless he is loading.

Hate that in Dublin city center. People using the loading bays to nip into a shop.

I wonder whose fault was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Hard to know. Is that area 30kph? That jeep driver was not slowing for people walking, yet those ambulance drivers take terrible risks with other peoples safety in general .

Great vid.

Hard to know. Is that area 30kph? That jeep driver was not slowing for people walking, yet those ambulance drivers take terrible risks with other peoples safety in general .

Great vid.

I wonder which street is the main road, and which have yield or stop signs...
    Or maybe it's traffic lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

The street the ambulance is on(Aungier Street) is the main road.
    The street the Jeep is on is Longford street.
    It's a traffic light controlled junction.

So it looks like one of the drivers was breaking a red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

The street the ambulance is on(Aungier Street) is the main road.
    The street the Jeep is on is Longford street.
    It's a traffic light controlled junction.

So it looks like one of the drivers was breaking a red light.

Just beat me to it! It looks like the geep was going through a green light ( Just a guess as he seems to be driving confidently/ aggressively), also looks like he was going too fast. Granted the ambulance may have ran a red light but some cautious driving on the geeps part could have easily averted it. Lucky no one was seriously injured. Imagine being in a bad way in the back of the ambulance and that happening, could have been nasty!

http://www.thejournal.ie/crash-dublin-ambulance-1411259-Apr2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The Dagda wrote: »
    I travelled that road daily when I lived in Cork and your description is very good, but using the excuse that "I know this road so I'm only doing this (hogging the middle lane) because of idiots further down the road", is one that everybody who doesn't use lanes correctly can use, to some extent.

It takes 5 seconds to move lane, and if you have to move lane because of someone else, then do. Don't hog the lane "in case" someone does something. Drive correctly, and if something happens THEN take corrective action.

Leaving room at that merge does not solely mean hogging the outside lanes. You can slow down, drive in the correct lane and move if neccessary.

Laziness/carelessness is the main reason people hog lanes, and it's a lazy, and arrogant argument to use the "I know the road so I can do this" excuse.

I would usually agree, but it is actually dangerous to go any further than the middle of the fly-over in the inside lane. There is a constant stream of 2 lanes of traffic trying to merge at high speed. Positioning yourself in the middle lane is much safer and perfectly reasonable as you approach the flyover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I would usually agree, but it is actually dangerous to go any further than the middle of the fly-over in the inside lane. There is a constant stream of 2 lanes of traffic trying to merge at high speed. Positioning yourself in the middle lane is much safer and perfectly reasonable as you approach the flyover.

There is not "a constant stream of 2 lanes of traffic trying to merge at high speed". It's not Beijing. It's busy at certain parts of the day.

It takes 5 seconds to move lanes. Potential traffic is no excuse for hogging the middle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Wow that ambulance threw that jeep out of it's way like it was a piece of p1ss :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

I heard all ambulances have dashcams on the front and back so I'm sure they'll figure out who was in the wrong fairly quickly. Doubt we'll ever get to see the footage though :D

Lucky nobody was killed on the sidewalk tbh. Also look at the people crossing the road infront of the jeep, and he doesnt even slow down rather drives faster towards them.

one thing to note too is I dont think ambulances are legally covered at all if they break a red light. Its up to the drivers discretion to ensure its done safely, but I think most ambulances crews slow right down when breaking red lights any way to double check before continuing on.

Anyway, theres another ambulance that probably wont be replaced. It was already 8 years old as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

How much would a fully kitted ambulance cost?

Fair sure that was a loading area he was parked in.

Tell him to get the F out of there unless he is loading.

Hate that in Dublin city center. People using the loading bays to nip into a shop.

Oh no, he was actually in the car behind me on the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I wonder whose fault was that?

The circumstancial evidence is the car was running the light. There were many pedestrians crossing both sides of the junction across his path, none crossing the other way. It suggests the green man was showing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

mitosis wrote: »
    The circumstancial evidence is the car was running the light. There were many pedestrians crossing both sides of the junction across his path, none crossing the other way. It suggests the green man was showing.

Also, the ambulance just blew through that junction.
    If the light for the ambulance was red, it would have crept very cautiously through the junction instead.
    So, my guess, light for Jeep was red. 5 bucks and my left nut.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement