Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Reported ad as suspected "stolen goods" to Donedeal.
    Hope above post us correct and owner is reunited with his bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Reported ad as suspected "stolen goods" to Donedeal.

I don't know if this was the best course of action. The seller may get alerted before Garda does anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Alek wrote: »
    I don't know if this was the best course of action. The seller may get alerted before Garda does anything...

The bike has been recovered and arrests were made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

I've reported "suspected stolen items" before and Donedeal have protocol for handling these issues and it doesn't involve " letting the seller know".
    Sounds like a great result anyway.

The bike has been recovered and arrests were made.

But how do you know? Within 6 hours from posting the ad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hi all. I saw the bike on done deal and pretended to be a buyer and met the scumbag selling it last night. The gardai were with me in an unmarked car. Delighted to get it back and all in one piece. The power of social media. Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hi all. I saw the bike on done deal and pretended to be a buyer and met the scumbag selling it last night. The gardai were with me in an unmarked car. Delighted to get it back and all in one piece. The power of social media. Thanks all

Excellent news!!! It's still up on donedeal, possibly as evidence.

On a side note, the scumbag thief is obviously retarded, advertising a high end bike for €600 within days of stealing it. Ireland's dumbest criminal.

Great stuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

great result, happy out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That idiot had (what I assume to be) his real name up on donedeal as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But how do you know? Within 6 hours from posting the ad?
    I think Eamonnator is a current or ex-garda with contacts.

This is based, solely on his extraneous use, of commas, which reminds me, of a garda giving evidence, in a district court, from his notebook.

For my amusement I read all of his posts in my fake garda voice. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lumen wrote: »

This is based, solely on his extraneous use, of commas, which reminds me, of a garda giving evidence, in a district court, from his notebook.

True, ex-garda, with no contacts, however, in this case, my first wife told me about the recovery of the bike, It was "on Facebook".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lumen wrote: »

On sure way of telling - ask him to pronounce "vehicle". If it's "veh-ickle", sure sign of a guard. :pac:

All joking aside, I managed to reunite a car key and it's owner though boards, a member of AGS (who is also a boardsie) contacted me and owner and key were reunited. Never underestimate the power of boards (and social media!).

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If anyone had a black blue Trek racer stolen around Trinity area I may have witnessed its thief carrying it towards IFSC area. Saw him carrying it on shoulder, while he cycled his ill fitting and shoddy looking mountain bike.

He proceeded to rip locks off and throw them in the Liffey and I followed a little to see where he was going til it got a bit too sketchy.

Reported to store street Gardai with description of bike and scrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brianor14

Hi guys

I have had my cube aim mtb stolen from secure lockup at my apartment in blackrock. It's 19" 29r blue and white with front and back mudguards.

As I was away with work for a month I'm not sure of the exact date it was nicked.

Would appreciate any info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

brianor14 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I have had my cube aim mtb stolen from secure lockup at my apartment in blackrock. It's 19" 29r blue and white with front and back mudguards.

As I was away with work for a month I'm not sure of the exact date it was nicked.

Would appreciate any info

A picture would probably help.

Since you're a new user to Boards, I don't think you can upload photos here but if you upload it to another site (imageshack, flickr, etc.) you can share the link here.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

Hi folks - if someone with more posts could please help out by re-posting the links below. Two bikes stolen from shed at home in Stillorgan wee small hours of yesterday morning.

h t t p://imgur.com/TUtnMRE

Scott Addict R1 road bike 54cm:
    Distinctive marks - Rub marks from light on rear of integrated seatpost. ISP cut to 73.3cm from top saddle to centre bb
    Distinctive characteristics. Was running particularly well as I'd only just replaced chainrings, chain and had given the bb bearing a good lubing. Answers to 'Charlene' :-(

h t t p://imgur.com/YOBAsVJ

Sunn Prim 29er - small - no distinctive marks yet as I'd only taken her out twice :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

TUtnMRE
    Hi folks - if someone with more posts could please help out by re-posting the links below. Two bikes stolen from shed at home in Stillorgan wee small hours of yesterday morning.

h t t p://imgur.com/TUtnMRE

Scott Addict R1 road bike 54cm:
    Distinctive marks - Rub marks from light on rear of integrated seatpost. ISP cut to 73.3cm from top saddle to centre bb
    Distinctive characteristics. Was running particularly well as I'd only just replaced chainrings, chain and had given the bb bearing a good lubing. Answers to 'Charlene' :-(

h t t p://imgur.com/YOBAsVJ

Sunn Prim 29er - small - no distinctive marks yet as I'd only taken her out twice :-(

http://imgur.com/TUtnMRE
    http://imgur.com/YOBAsVJ

Hope they turn up.

TUtnMRE
    YOBAsVJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

traprunner wrote: »

Do you mind if I ask where in Stillorgan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

i notice a lot of bikes keep in sheds etc, got say if keeping them in secure garage or house isn't an option then a heavy duty lock to something solid and immovable would work, as always this just reduces the risk. Bike crime is huge at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

great to hear

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

sebcity wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask where in Stillorgan?

I presume the poster was talking about Stillorgan in south Dublin on the N11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presume the poster was talking about Stillorgan in south Dublin on the N11

Ha! Yeah I presumed that too. I also live there. Was just wondering what part as my bikes were also stolen, so was just seeing are we neighbours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

sebcity wrote: »
    Ha! Yeah I presumed that too. I also live there. Was just wondering what part as my bikes were also stolen, so was just seeing are we neighbours.

I would drop a PM as you don't want to give your address away on a public forum too specifically

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Got my bike back (also stolen about 12 days ago in the Stillorgan area), many thanks to the Gardai for their assistance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Chaps as a fyi, the guy who had by bike mentioned some Polish site that loads of stolen stuff is sold on dodgy done deal of some sort, didnt catch the name but if anyone knows it, its worth having a look

Do you mean www.allegro.pl ? I guess as many stolen bikes, proportionally, as on ebay.com. Its just another huge auction site (well, bigger than donedeal or adverts!) with no control over legal status of items being sold.

It may have been, didnt hear it too well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Do you mean www.allegro.pl ? I guess as many stolen bikes, proportionally, as on ebay.com. Its just another huge auction site (well, bigger than donedeal or adverts!) with no control over legal status of items being sold.

They're pricing stuff in zlotys? I thought Poland was in the eurozone?

It doesn't look on a quick glance like a fency place - the prices are as high as on Irish secondhand sites.

• Advertisement

Eurozone? Nope. We don't want this micky mouse currency :P

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Had my cube bike stolen from the LUAS stop at Fatima yesterday evening between 7-8

Had a cryponite lock on it but they cut through the Sheffield stand

If anyone sees it for sale on any of the sites please let me know

What format does the frame number comprise of

I have two sets of digits in my records for my bike, just wondering if there is a set format for the frame number?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,647 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

pclive wrote: »
    Had my cube bike stolen from the LUAS stop at Fatima yesterday evening between 7-8
    Moved from Cycling Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

pclive wrote:

Sorry to hear about your bike being robbed. The cutting through the stand is worrying. Did I read somewhere on here that the Sheffield Stands at the Luas stops might be substandard??

Its very worrying indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sorry to hear about your bike being robbed. The cutting through the stand is worrying. Did I read somewhere on here that the Sheffield Stands at the Luas stops might be substandard??
    Some were questioning the thickness. I think someone saw one cut, possibly at killiney dart station which looked thin. I always give posts like that a tap to see if it sounds too thin.

The original intended way to use a kryptonite D/U lock is to go through the back wheel, the wheel itself then becomes a lock for the frame. If someone cut the stand and it was locked this way they could at least not cycle off on it, so might be put off.

locktechnique1.jpg

It might also put off theives who use the twisting technique to pop locks with the frame. You are likely to wreck the wheel if you tried it, and so again not be able to easily cycle off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

It's also worth remembering, that some of the older Kryptonite locks can be opened with a bic pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah it was me that posted the cut one at Killiney which stil isnt fixed, it was paper thin, easily done by hand with a pound shop hacksaw nevermind an angle grinder, Ill never use them again anyway.

What format does the frame number comprise of

I have two sets of digits in my records for my bike, just wondering if there is a set format for the frame number?

I'd like to know this too.

I'd like to know this too.

I found out that the CUBE frame numbers are WOW followed by 5 numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

If anyone sees it for sale on any of the sites please let me know

Lads please think twice before leaving a decent bike anywhere around the city, these little cnuts have had held angle grinders that cut through most locks in seconds..

To the poster above, all I can say is check bikes for sale on line or maybe put the word out around the area that you'll pay to get it back.

I would really wish that Adverts.ie and other secondhand sites required ID, frame number and receipt before advertising bikes.

I'm currently looking at a bike I might like, but the advertiser has only ever had one ad, and I'm doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I would really wish that Adverts.ie and other secondhand sites required ID, frame number and receipt before advertising bikes.

I'm currently looking at a bike I might like, but the advertiser has only ever had one ad, and I'm doubtful.

What's the ad you're looking at. Plenty of people only open an adverts account to sell single items.

I've never bought from anyone on Adverts.ie unless I was able to see what they'd advertised before, and see what kind of feedback they have.

I'd feel a lot more confident if the site demanded evidence of ownership - specifically of bicycles, which are stolen so often at the moment (I mean bikes generally, not bikes sold on the site).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

not yet wrote: »
    these little cnuts have had held angle grinders that cut through most locks in seconds.
    Lidl had rechargeable mini grinders a while back. I cringed when I saw it, thinking that the scum do not even have to buy them, they would easily nick them from lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You're right to be careful.

I wrote about this one before, when my son was looking for a bike via the usual sites the amount of obviously stolen (when we visited the seller) bikes was staggering.

Luckily we picked up a lovely bike with receipt (eventually).

You're right to be careful.

I wrote about this one before, when my son was looking for a bike via the usual sites the amount of obviously stolen (when we visited the seller) bikes was staggering.

Luckily we picked up a lovely bike with receipt (eventually).

Wish all the sale sites would do what Usedbikes.ie apparently does, and demand ID and a receipt before accepting an ad. But I suppose it would take a site being prosecuted for profiting from the sale of stolen goods before all sites became cautious. It would make such a difference, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

rubadub wrote: »
    Lidl had rechargeable mini grinders a while back. I cringed when I saw it, thinking that the scum do not even have to buy them, they would easily nick them from lidl.

It was particularly ironic that they sold them either in the same week as the bike stuff was on offer or within days.

Oh, wait, it wasn't the mini grinders they did that with, it was the bolt cutters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

RainyDay wrote: »

Keep an eye on adverts and done deal also report it to the guards,I've seen a few people have there bikes returned to them,in fairness the guards are taking it pretty seriously.

Hope your friend gets it back

• Advertisement
Advertisement