Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Matter [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 14-06-2015 3:47pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Did not see a thread for it but episode is up and I love it!

Trailer below:

Shows great promise (but not overly complicated) so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

I tried to watch it but got about 15 minutes in and switched it off. Its not for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You must have very high standards. I really liked it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I enjoyed it. It seems like cheap and cheerful low budget fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Did not see the ending. That alone gets it another viewing.

Acting only okay, may take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not on here yet till tomorrow. Am looking forward to it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    You must have very high standards. I really liked it. :)

:o

I've probably been a bit spoilt when it comes to television over the last few years so I find it hard to lower my expectations for new, perhaps lower budget, shows.

I just found it a little bit cheap and the fight scenes were a bit naff. The dialog and the amount of tropes in the first 15 minutes pushed me over the end and I had to switch it off.

I might give it another shot if I'm in a more forgiving mood.

brevity wrote: »
    :o

I've probably been a bit spoilt when it comes to television over the last few years so I find it hard to lower my expectations for new, perhaps lower budget, shows.

I just found it a little bit cheap and the fight scenes were a bit naff. The dialog and the amount of tropes in the first 15 minutes pushed me over the end and I had to switch it off.

I might give it another shot if I'm in a more forgiving mood.

I get where you are coming from. I love The Wire, The West Wing, The Americans, Breaking Bad and all that excellent stuff. But I also love to turn my brain off every once in a while and watch some clichéd, predictable entertainment. Like Gotham or Z Nation.

If the characters are likable and the stories are entertaining, I'll stick with it. But if they try to be a serious drama I can't see this lasting too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DID NOT see that ending coming! Looking forward to the next episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I get a bit of a Blake's 7 vibe from it.

Should be a fun summer filler and I have always been a fan of Roger R. Cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

I have always been a fan of Roger R. Cross.

He seems to be in everything lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the_syco wrote: »
    DID NOT see that ending coming! Looking forward to the next episode!

when the miners started talking about the Raza (sp!?) as these horrible aliens I knew where the episode was going

I just finished watching the second episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. The character of 'Two' definitely seems to be the brains of the operation and makes a great leader, I like her a lot. 'Three' is a source of comic relief and is growing on me. 'Six' and 'The Android' are dropping hints of a grand conspiracy of some sort.

The acting and the characterisation of the supporting cast of the miners was quite one dimensional but if they aren't coming back then it doesn't really matter. There were a couple of clever plot twists, the look of the VFX work, particularly on the FTL jump scenes, is very organic and interesting. The stunt work and fight co-ordination were very well done in the big fight scene.

Overall, it's a pretty good, entertaining show. It's not going to be winning any awards but it kept me amused.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Caught the first episode of this and it seemed like the standard quality for ScyFy stuff: decent but nothing special. There's always something a little off about these ScyFy productions, like they lack that certain spark or polish you'd see on other channels. They're also often derivative as hell, so nothing new here either. I'll keep tuning in for now anyway, the mystery's intriguing enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

2nd episode was fun. Will be interesting to see if they take the blake7 route of becoming revolutionaries or the farscape route of "just trying to get home" but helping people on the way. Only annoyance is the main guy (the young white guy) is pretty boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think it has potential.The 2nd episode is on tonight. The story lines where nothing new do they have bee n done in Star Trek and lots of other shows. Just watching the first episode I seen two Star Trek story lines. The one about the crew not knowing who they are has been done in Star Trek TNG and the one with the miners and others steeling there resources has been done in Enterprise but it was nice the way the mixed a bit of both storys in together.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The amnesiac thing is a bit weak. It basically gives them a license to be trained killers but not be bad guys. Bit too much running around in deserted factories too. I like the cast, more or less.
    Better than Killjoys anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Episode 3 was good too...
    Clones?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cant take any more of this boring syfy mush, same old corridors, same music, same abandoned factories, same boring non-entity actors, Ill read what happens on Wikipedia at some point but Im not wasting hours on another of these shows...

Thargor wrote: »
    Cant take any more of this boring syfy mush, same old corridors, same music, same abandoned factories, same boring non-entity actors, Ill read what happens on Wikipedia at some point but Im not wasting hours on another of these shows...
    You'd wonder how much they're saving (and movie makers too) by making up their own ****e stories when there are literally thousands of books worth of better material out there you'd imagine could be grabbed for a pittance. The challenge seems to be to "do a Star Trek" and set up things in the first few episodes so the gang can run into any sort of adventure they want from week to week. This doesn't look like a story arc thing to me, nor does Killjoys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    You'd wonder how much they're saving (and movie makers too) by making up their own ****e stories when there are literally thousands of books worth of better material out there you'd imagine could be grabbed for a pittance. The challenge seems to be to "do a Star Trek" and set up things in the first few episodes so the gang can run into any sort of adventure they want from week to week. This doesn't look like a story arc thing to me, nor does Killjoys.

Actually, Dark Matter is based on a comic book so it's not just made up themselves (though no idea how similar to the source material it is / will be).

I've only watched the first two episodes and I'd somewhat echo Thargor's sentiments: Dark Matter is 'OK' and about the standard with ScyFy these days; it's nowhere near the worst genre TV I've watched in the last year (that'd be something like Gotham or The Strain for me), but ScyFy seem to consistently low-ball their productions into the ground - it has become depressing. There's no great effort being put into anything they do, it's all rote, generic. They direly need a creative head with some nous and passion.

People seem to be hoping that The Expanse adaptation will be ScyFy's bright spot, but I remain pessimistic that the channel won't bland it into oblivion.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Actually, Dark Matter is based on a comic book so it's not just made up themselves (though no idea how similar to the source material it is / will be).
    Thanks. Didn't know that. Still, I'd place book storylines over comics also (no offense anybody, I read a few comics myself).
    It's not terrible, it was mainly the genericness of the ground based scenes got to me. Derelict warehouses and machine guns... oh dear. If it's an adventure per episode type show I'll pass, a story arc I might go for.
    Also, given how cheap looking the opening episodes are, I can assume quality will go downhill if anything from here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

People seem to be hoping that The Expanse adaptation will be ScyFy's bright spot, but I remain pessimistic that the channel won't bland it into oblivion.

Haven't seen Dark Matter but I've read two books of the Expanse and thought they were poor and clichéd so I don't see how they would raise the bar in quality.
    Lots of other series with more potential that I would prefer and even some games such as Mass Effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Watching it but it is fairly standard . Nothing that I would miss watching tbh. Will give it 2 or 3 more episodes but I'm not holding out much hope. Would kill for a good scify show.

And recommendations?

CptMackey wrote: »
    Watching it but it is fairly standard . Nothing that I would miss watching tbh. Will give it 2 or 3 more episodes but I'm not holding out much hope. Would kill for a good scify show.

And recommendations?
    IMO the best SF show on now (or next season shortly anyway) is Continuum. It makes more sense than anything else on and has enough budget to cover what it's trying to do properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    IMO the best SF show on now (or next season shortly anyway) is Continuum. It makes more sense than anything else on and has enough budget to cover what it's trying to do properly.

Will check it out. Think I saw it on Netflix. Nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the black hench men in the 2nd ep were pathetic, need to put up more of a fight to really show how dangerous the crew are

ixoy wrote: »
    Haven't seen Dark Matter but I've read two books of the Expanse and thought they were poor and clichéd so I don't see how they would raise the bar in quality.
    Lots of other series with more potential that I would prefer and even some games such as Mass Effect.

Yeah they were clichéd but entertaining enough page-turners; what I meant was just that it seems like the adaptation will be ScyFy's next concerted attempt to actually spend some cash and not have a Canadian cast run around some derelict warehouses.

What makes me equally frustrated is that ScyFy are channeling part of their income into those Asylum team-ups; Sharknado and the like. Money that could be going into sets, FX and more script drafts is instead churning out those awful, deliberately ironic 'mockbusters'.

I've only watched the first two episodes and I'd somewhat echo Thargor's sentiments: Dark Matter is 'OK' and about the standard with ScyFy these days; it's nowhere near the worst genre TV I've watched in the last year (that'd be something like Gotham or The Strain for me), but ScyFy seem to consistently low-ball their productions into the ground - it has become depressing. There's no great effort being put into anything they do, it's all rote, generic. They direly need a creative head with some nous and passion.

You prefer Dark Matter to The Strain and Gotham?

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    You prefer Dark Matter to The Strain and Gotham?

I prefer none of them, but Dark Matter's worst crime so far is that it's bland and utterly, shamelessly derivative. It's not offensively bad; I'd sooner watch that over the sheer atrociousness that was Gotham. Divorced of the Batman brand - which I suspect gave it a lot more leeway than others shows would have received - it's a horrendous show, saddled with bad writing and cliché (important plot information conveyed by a convenient Breaking News!), not to mention really, really stupid characters. I don't get p*ssed off by bad writing/shows that much, but for some reason Gotham left me steaming at how idiotic some of the writing was.

The Strain had a same problem; really stupid - or just plain unsympathetic - characters trying their best to sink any potential the show could have had.

Advertisement