Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for those links. Looks good and I think I'm going to go for it. New small downsides that are disappointing but you'll never get a perfect phone really. I just wonder about the Samsung Galaxy SIII - last year I jumped in and bought the Sensation straight away and the SII came out shortly afterwards, I wished I had of waited...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

Ordered mine from expansys.ie. Fingers crossed!

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

Subscribed to o2 pre reg yesterday so hopefully they will have it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

When I bought the sensation last year, the cheapest option on early release was payg with Vodafone,came unlocked too, hoping for the same again this year ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

"With just hours to go until the HTC One is released in Ireland we are delighted to announce that the HTC One X has been awarded the 5 star award by Mobile Choice, the first 5 star award they have given since last April!"

From Htc's Facebook page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

manu2009 wrote: »
    "With just hours to go until the HTC One is released in Ireland we are delighted to announce that the HTC One X has been awarded the 5 star award by Mobile Choice, the first 5 star award they have given since last April!"

From Htc's Facebook page

Never heard of them. Phone does look great, even Sense doesn't seem terrible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Anyone getting One going for the S or everyone going for X?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Hoping to get the One S, if eMobile stock it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

X for me, unless it's in the iphone 4s price range.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hmm varying reports on battery life from 6 hrs to 2 days.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

flugel wrote: »
    Anyone getting One going for the S or everyone going for X?
    S for me. And the ceramic version. I kinda hope that the black is available in ceramic.
    Has anyone pre ordered sim free anywhere? Expansys seems to be "cheapest" from my brief search @ €514

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ziggie

S for me too... X just too big! The s is a big enough stretch in size from my Desire....

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

One X and S have been released at Vodafone Irl today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

One X and S have been released at Vodafone Irl today :D

Released in store? It's not on their website yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Got an email from VF - released as business phone at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Vodafone have just said on their boards forum that they hope to have it online today, if not it will be Wednesday or Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Was in carphone warehouse, o2 & vodafone today. None have them for sale, vodafone & cpw are saying they will be on sale friday

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lighter

So just after popping into a saturn shop in vienna and they had both the One X and S on display.
    I own a desire and had a droid razr for two weeks but lost it :( I loved the razr and having gone back to my slow and sluggish desire I am itching to get a new phone.
    The One X wasn't all that nice to hold, tbh it just didn't appeal to me. It also seemed a bit clumsy swiping through the home screens. Image quality was excellent though and the screen was beautiful. They didn't have the One S plugged in but it was certainly more comfortable in the hand.

After seeing both if I was to choose one I'd go for the S but tbh HTC just don't appeal to me as much anymore. I think I will be waiting for samsungs and motorolas next models.

So in summary, I miss my droid.

• Advertisement

Lighter wrote: »
    After seeing both if I was to choose one I'd go for the S but tbh HTC just don't appeal to me as much anymore. I think I will be waiting for samsungs and motorolas next models.

So in summary, I miss my droid.

So what else is on the way out which is worth waiting for, and when? I might wait too as I'm in no rush but do not want to regret rushing into a purchase.

Are Droid's only in the US etc? I have not seem them here. However I was reading about the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx which aparently has a monster battery you get many many days out of. That would be appealing to me.

From the tests it does not look like the camera on the One X is all that great, ges its very good but probably not as good as the iPhone 4S. Battery life is questionable as well. I'm still waiting for that near perfect phone with really good battery and a great camera. Not sure if this is it really. But is it worth waiting a few months I wonder?

The droid was amazing, had an awful camera though. Actually I think I just had a soft spot for it. It had a lot of flaws tbf. I don't think the maxxx is coming to Europe.

I could pick up the arc s here for 300 sim free but its not top of the line and I would only be disappointed.
    Samsung should be announcing the SGS3 soon and until that moment I wont make a decision. On the other hand though I might get a htc and root it.

Bloody technology moves quicker than I can afford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

beanian wrote: »
    Was in carphone warehouse, o2 & vodafone today. None have them for sale, vodafone & cpw are saying they will be on sale friday

Any prices from them?
    Cheers.

boc121 wrote: »
    Any prices from them?
    Cheers.

nothing for bill pay anyway, pay as you go I think was 539

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Wish Samsung would pull the finger out and at least tell us what's coming, then again they getting a lot of hype for a phone so they prob happy with outcome.

Just don't know how much longer I can stand using the hero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Very tempted by the One S, but there are two fairly major issues holding me back...

1/ The lack of expandable memory is a complete joke. I think they include 25gb of free dropbox storage, but I am not sure that would be too practical... i.e You need a good data connection or wifi to access the files and I could see it being cumbersome even when I have a good connection - e.g Accessing a music playlist and navigating around it...

2/ The battery is non-user replaceable. The battery life is already questionable, so when it inevitably degrades over the next 6 months or so, you would no option of replacing it...

I love my Samsung Galaxy S form factor and have bought and sold the S2 a few months back because I found it too big to use with one hand (also didn't like the back cover and the curves of the phone). The One S seems to have a good form factor (id want to hold it first before buying it to confirm), but the issues above are really holding me back...

Note: Not too bothered about waiting for the Galaxy S3 announcement as I am nearly sure it will have a 4.6 inch+ screen on it, so it wouldn't appeal to me regardless of the spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

beanian wrote: »

I checked them all in cork and no one has it and cannot be sure when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

had myself persuaded its time to update my desire to the one X but i suspect its going to be too big in hand so might just settle for the one s instead. better for my pocket and surely the s is still a huge jump in performance from my desire?

Yeah it will be ten times better than the Desire. I'm looking forward to the bigger screen. It's quite thin so will still fit in your pocket easy. I have the sensation and find it a bit 'chunky' - although even at that sometimes I wish for a bigger screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Its on the website now.... black only :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

one X is up on vodafone site now, €579 pay as you go (switching network) and ranging from €100 to 299 on bill pay. Will wait and see what price meteor bring it out at, try it in my hand in store and decide then

I just got invited to the HTC One Launch event tonight - not too sure what to expect but I'll let you know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

DRose1 wrote: »

1/ The lack of expandable memory is a complete joke. I think they include 25gb of free dropbox storage, but I am not sure that would be too practical... i.e You need a good data connection or wifi to access the files and I could see it being cumbersome even when I have a good connection - e.g Accessing a music playlist and navigating around it...

Google Music? Why store all this stuff on your phone - I have a 4GB card in current phone and have never gotten near filling it - All my pics sync to Google+ and I upload any videos to Youtube or have Cheetah Sync set up to sync other stuff to my main PC etc.
    To me anyway 16GB would be more than enough
    2/ The battery is non-user replaceable. The battery life is already questionable, so when it inevitably degrades over the next 6 months or so, you would no option of replacing it...

Have my phone for nearly 2 years now and the battery took about a month to condition itself and is in fact now better that it was out of the box. Is it expected that a battery in this day and age will degrade that much over the life span of the phone - which would be 18-24 months normally

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Google Music? Why store all this stuff on your phone - I have a 4GB card in current phone and have never gotten near filling it - All my pics sync to Google+ and I upload any videos to Youtube or have Cheetah Sync set up to sync other stuff to my main PC etc.
    To me anyway 16GB would be more than enough

Have my phone for nearly 2 years now and the battery took about a month to condition itself and is in fact now better that it was out of the box. Is it expected that a battery in this day and age will degrade that much over the life span of the phone - which would be 18-24 months normally
    You make a good point about Google Music, but I have already tried that and I am not a big fan of the Google Music player on Android.

I used pretty much all of the music players available in the market and I have found 'Player Pro' to be by far the best option.... maybe they will add support for Google Music in the future...

As for the battery, I suppose its not that big of an issue. If a big problem arose with it, I presume the manufacturer could install a new one for you if I sent it away?

Zascar wrote: »
    I just got invited to the HTC One Launch event tonight - not too sure what to expect but I'll let you know...

Where is it on? Who sent you the invite?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

One S now on O2
    €449 Pre Pay
    €129 on cheapest contract.

But this ****e...
    "Includes 700MB monthly data allowance for the first 3 months. Reverts back to 150MB after this time."

MoodeRator wrote: »
    One S now on O2
    €449 Pre Pay
    €129 on cheapest contract.

But this ****e...
    "Includes 700MB monthly data allowance for the first 3 months. Reverts back to 150MB after this time."

Says €69 for me and I have a gold upgrade - but does say "From - Free" if you have a platinum etc. Only gives 18 month contract option - interested to see what it will be at the lower contact terms. I hate locking myself in for so long. Especially nowadays when everything changes so fast

Oh and re data, only 150mb on the lowest package. 700mb on all the others, and then it's charged at €10.16 per 700mb - or €1 for 70mb which is not bad at all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

That description for the one s on O2.ie is actually for the one x! It's banging on about he screens and 4.7inch

Does anyone know what headset you receive with the One S? i.e Does it come with a Beats Audio in ear headset like previous models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Does anyone know what headset you receive with the One S? i.e Does it come with a Beats Audio in ear headset like previous models?
    I believe it comes with HTC headphones' but will accept the beats profiles if beats are plugged in.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I believe it comes with HTC headphones' but will accept the beats profiles if beats are plugged in.
    Uh, thats a bit annoying, was hoping it came with the Beats ones.

Although, I think I am right in saying that the Beats audio profile will work on any music player and with any headset?

I'm open to correction here but imo beats audio is fairly useless, you could do pretty much the same thing with any graphic equaliser. It's simply bullsh1t/genius marketing (delete as desired)

Beats audio aka Bass boost

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm open to correction here but imo beats audio is fairly useless, you could do pretty much the same thing with any graphic equaliser. It's simply bullsh1t/genius marketing (delete as desired)
    I think you are right; although a few reviews have said the Beats is half decent on the new HTC devices. Definitely not something that would sway me towards buying it, but also something that I wouldn't mind trying out if I decide to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

No word from meteor... guess its too risky hoping Vodafone are selling unlocked HTC's again..

The headphones are actually not that bad but they are viciously expensive. You can get top of the line DJ headphones which will be way better, for much cheaper than the top Dr. Dre ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Very very tempted by the One X, screen sounds amazing. Only thing that might be a negative for it is the size. However i don't think i could get the S knowing that the screen is no where near the glory of the X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the battery is (apparently) a lithium polymer cell (like with recent iphones and macbooks) , not lithium ion (like traditional mobile phones), so the battery is most likely going to be a kind of flexible pouch and doesn't need to have a rigid outer shell to basically get more battery into the same area inside the phone.

deending on exactly what type of LiPo technology used, it could either be a really good thing, or possibly more or less the same as lithium ion, but time will tell i guess.
    in recent years, manufacturers have been declaring upwards of 500 charge-discharge cycles before the capacity drops to 80% (see Sanyo). Another variant of Li-poly cells, the "thin film rechargeable lithium battery", has been shown to provide more than 10,000 cycles.
    could be interesting. :)

edit: there's also a good round up of (largely positive) reviews of the one x here: http://androidandme.com/2012/04/smartphones-2/htc-one-x-review-roundup/

although battery life doesn't seem all that great. :(

would like to see a side by side comparison with the desire HD though, i can live with that kind of result for that kind of performance.

I'm just back from the HTC One X launch event. Was very impressive! I did not quite know what to expect, a dingy room with a powerpoint presentation perhaps, but it was nothing like that... It was in a nightclub, they had mounds of free booze - dozens of hot promotions girls, DJ, percussionists, dancing girls in costume doing shows, everything! Oh yea the phone was there too - seems pretty good, the reviews are fairly spot on :) In seriousness though it is a lovely piece of kit. The screen is spectacular, its very quick, no lag, the camera seems fantastic. Very thin and light but with a fantastic build quality. The One S seems lovely too, amazingly small and thin - longer than my Sensation but about 1/4 the thickness and weight.

The maxxx is actually coming to europe but not until may. http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr_maxx_headed_to_europe_the_middle_east_in_may-news-4048.php

Battery life is all well and good but it will be an old gen of hardware then probably still runnung gingerbread and with a locked bootloader.

• Advertisement
Advertisement