Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

2 copies of halo master chief collection as i got on to amazon there at the start of the week as my copy never showed so i now have 2 copys. Thats for the Xbox one

Also assassin's creed unity for the PS4.

Then a old game for the nokia n gage

Cant wait to be playing some halo now this weekend :).

Sounds good!

I'm debating with myself if I should get Far Cry 4 or not. What you think Samapple? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Sounds good!

I'm debating with myself if I should get Far Cry 4 or not. What you think Samapple? :)

Did you like Far Cry 3 ?. As its post to be a better version of that.

What console do you play on ?

Did you like Far Cry 3 ?. As its post to be a better version of that.

What console do you play on ?

I didn't play 3 actually. Was too busy with college etc for it.

I've got a PS3 here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Happy Friday everyone :) Hope everyone has something nice to do, whether its relaxing in front of TV or out and about doing other things.

Went to 2nd recovery meeting last night....I tried to get involved more but couldn't as they are pretty rigid in following the 4 steps as set out by the great Dr. Low.
    I was giving my example of a time when I became anxious but was shot down after about 30 seconds because I didn't construct my example in the proper way :mad:
    Having said that, I will learn the proper way and then see how I fair being the center of attention while everyone remarks on what happened and why it happened, etc.

I'm gonna play COD and Destiny for the day, and then have my usual few beers and then into town to meet a few friends. I'm actually really excited, but not excited enough to go in without some dutch courage first.

On the positive side I will endevour to have perhaps 2 cans before I go in, which is better than 6. Might have 4 actually :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

cookie24 wrote: »
    Happy Friday everyone :) Hope everyone has something nice to do, whether its relaxing in front of TV or out and about doing other things.

Went to 2nd recovery meeting last night....I tried to get involved more but couldn't as they are pretty rigid in following the 4 steps as set out by the great Dr. Low.
    I was giving my example of a time when I became anxious but was shot down after about 30 seconds because I didn't construct my example in the proper way :mad:
    Having said that, I will learn the proper way and then see how I fair being the center of attention while everyone remarks on what happened and why it happened, etc.

I'm gonna play COD and Destiny for the day, and then have my usual few beers and then into town to meet a few friends. I'm actually really excited, but not excited enough to go in without some dutch courage first.

On the positive side I will endevour to have perhaps 2 cans before I go in, which is better than 6. Might have 4 actually :p

I have no experience with recovery meetings but to stop someone from sharing their experience and feelings because it wasn't said in the 'proper way' is pretty rude. Especially when dealing with already anxious people. I think they could of let you finish and then recommended that next time you should do it in a way they want.

Hope you have a great night tonight.

• Advertisement

Happy Friday friends!

Sorry to hear that they shot you down so abruptly Cookie. Mind yourself out tonight and I hope you have a good time. :)

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I have no experience with recovery meetings but to stop someone from sharing their experience and feelings because it wasn't said in the 'proper way' is pretty rude. Especially when dealing with already anxious people. I think they could of let you finish and then recommended that next time you should do it in a way they want.

Hope you have a great night tonight.
    Happy Friday friends!

Sorry to hear that they shot you down so abruptly Cookie. Mind yourself out tonight and I hope you have a good time. :)

It leads me to further believe they are quite cultish in their adoration of yer man. I couldn't give my example because its not in line with his 4 step process.
    Bull$hit if you ask me. Everyone there for the same reason. No need for the 4 steps. I will learn them though just so I can partake, cos thats the most important thing to me - speaking in front of people.

Hopefully will enjoy the night. Got more bloods done today to make sure lithium not doing anything bad. Got my few beers as well (8 bottles) but will have 4 tonight and 4 tomorrow.

On my own for the weekend, so happy about that. No housemates telling me to get out of bed or whatever. I can do what I want.

Happy Friday all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

It leads me to further believe they are quite cultish in their adoration of yer man. I couldn't give my example because its not in line with his 4 step process.
    Bull$hit if you ask me. Everyone there for the same reason. No need for the 4 steps. I will learn them though just so I can partake, cos thats the most important thing to me - speaking in front of people.

Hopefully will enjoy the night. Got more bloods done today to make sure lithium not doing anything bad. Got my few beers as well (8 bottles) but will have 4 tonight and 4 tomorrow.

On my own for the weekend, so happy about that. No housemates telling me to get out of bed or whatever. I can do what I want.

Happy Friday all

Cookie.

I hope you don't mind me saying this now. I'd be careful if I was you with drinking to tackle anxiety issues when going out. Drinking at home on your own is never a good idea.

Have you tried having a pal over in your place before you go out where you don't have any drink at all. Just a wingman or woman to talk to and build the confidence before you head out to talk and socialize with others.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Cookie.

I hope you don't mind me saying this now. I'd be careful if I was you with drinking to tackle anxiety issues when going out. Drinking at home on your own is never a good idea.

Have you tried having a pal over in your place before you go out where you don't have any drink at all. Just a wingman or woman to talk to and build the confidence before you head out to talk and socialize with others.

I've tried that many times before, unfortunately all my friends work and have more money than sense. After work they're straight to the pub at about 6. Thats too early for me to go in - money and drunken wise.
    I usually head in for about 10 after having x amount of beers. I probably could go in sober, but I'm not yet ready to try that.

Regarding the wider picture of drinking for anxiety....1st of all dont mind you pointing that out and appreciate the concern.
    I know its a bad idea but its how I deal with anxiety on nights out. I am trying to cut down on my pre-drinking, but I suppose tonight will tell.

Drinking at home alone....yes I agree. I did it 2 weeks ago because I couldn't find anyone to drink with. Found people eventually and went in and joined them. I'm gonna try and get a few people over here tomorrow to watch the rugby match, so hopefully that'll work out.

Girls....have no actual girl friends. Only the occasional score on a night out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Don't go out any more
    When I was younger u would get so uptight I would drink to excess .
    Then I discovered cocaine and ecstasy and no more anxiety.
    It found doing things to excess would make me comfortable enough to interact

• Advertisement

I stayed off the booze for about 3 months there and It was the best thing I did. Not that I drank a lot anyway. It's just not a helpful tool for us anxiety fiends.

Can I ask a question to everyone here, How happy are you going out anyway? Would you be happier say watching a dvd or playing playstation at home with a group of friends?

My own answer to my own question would be-That while I don't mind heading out the odd time, I'd be much happier doing things non drink related with a group of friends.(eg. playing playstation, watching a dvd, shooting, going to sporting events etc.)

I dont think I will ever give up drinking but I certainly want to cut down. Its not drinking everyday, more like once every 3 weeks but when I do I tend to get legless drunk.
    I'm quite happy going out - after my few at home of course :p There's a period of maybe 2-3 hours where its fun, then I'm too drunk to remember anything.
    Anxiety and depression then heightened the next day, but without alcohol I would have zero social life.

I am also very happy to stay in and play the xbox. But none of my friends are gamers. Would love if they were cos its great fun having a few people to play with.

Friends also play 5-a-side soccer but I cant cos of ankle problems.

I would love to do something like airsoft or paint-balling but friends not into that.

I dont think I will ever give up drinking but I certainly want to cut down. Its not drinking everyday, more like once every 3 weeks but when I do I tend to get legless drunk.
    I'm quite happy going out - after my few at home of course :p There's a period of maybe 2-3 hours where its fun, then I'm too drunk to remember anything.
    Anxiety and depression then heightened the next day, but without alcohol I would have zero social life.

I am also very happy to stay in and play the xbox. But none of my friends are gamers. Would love if they were cos its great fun having a few people to play with.

Friends also play 5-a-side soccer but I cant cos of ankle problems.

I would love to do something like airsoft or paint-balling but friends not into that.

Do your friends socialize by going out(clubbing) and playing Astro? Is that it?

Do your friends socialize by going out(clubbing) and playing Astro? Is that it?

For the most part. There are no 'activities', like driving range, paintball, anything else. They all work and go out pretty much every weekend. A lot of them also have girlfriends so are happy just cuddling on the sofa instead of doing any activities.
    I want to join some sort of club, but dont know yet what it'll be.

I want to join some sort of club, but dont know yet what it'll be.

Same. Hard to know what activities to take up and how.

I stayed off the booze for about 3 months there and It was the best thing I did. Not that I drank a lot anyway. It's just not a helpful tool for us anxiety fiends.

Can I ask a question to everyone here, How happy are you going out anyway? Would you be happier say watching a dvd or playing playstation at home with a group of friends?

My own answer to my own question would be-That while I don't mind heading out the odd time, I'd be much happier doing things non drink related with a group of friends.(eg. playing playstation, watching a dvd, shooting, going to sporting events etc.)

I don't enjoy going out much either. Much prefer sitting in watching a film or going for something to eat. I don' drink at the moment for two reasons. First all due to medication and since alcohol is a known depressant it doesn't make much sense to drink. Secondly if I do go out then I drive as I find when I begin to not enjoy it anymore then I can just head home. I wish I could drink as I did have some fun nights out but c'est la vie.

I'd love a more active social life. It can get very boring and lonely at times. Drinking: I'm not much of a drinker anyway thankfully so I could take it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sardino

Checking in. Suffer from anxiety and depression every so often. I just read this page and funnily enough it resonates with me a lot. I love going out and getting very drunk (not having any inhibitions; unhealthy long-term I know) but noticed my anxiety and especially depression increasing over the last 4-6 months because of drinking so much. I definitely owe myself a few weeks off the drink and now seems a good time before Christmas really kicks off.

Sardino wrote: »
    Checking in. Suffer from anxiety and depression every so often. I just read this page and funnily enough it resonates with me a lot. I love going out and getting very drunk (not having any inhibitions; unhealthy long-term I know) but noticed my anxiety and especially depression increasing over the last 4-6 months because of drinking so much. I definitely owe myself a few weeks off the drink and now seems a good time before Christmas really kicks off.

Are you taking meds for anxiety?

Are you taking meds for anxiety?

No & never did. Have regular counselling the last 15 months and learnt to reduce the anxiety a good deal through picking up meditation and using those practices in panic situations. Far from over it but much better than I was. Haven't really been doing the meditation part the last 6 months so the anxiety shows up more now and the depression is probably related to that.

I'd love a more active social life. It can get very boring and lonely at times. Drinking: I'm not much of a drinker anyway thankfully so I could take it or leave it.

So would I. Have no plans for this weekend so already feeling a bit down. Have only a couple of friends. But at the moment I feel like one doesn't like me. I am already after making this an issue with this person last weekend which lead to me acting like a fool. I have spoken about this before. But it is one of the main concerns for me. I am beginning to think this behaviour isn't due to depression but just a part of my personality.

• Advertisement

greenfrogs wrote: »
    So would I. Have no plans for this weekend so already feeling a bit down. Have only a couple of friends. But at the moment I feel like one doesn't like me. I am already after making this an issue with this person last weekend which lead to me acting like a fool. I have spoken about this before. But it is one of the main concerns for me. I am beginning to think this behaviour isn't due to depression but just a part of my personality.

I could have written that bit of your post myself.

I could have written that bit of your post myself.

We all could have.

Like so many posts here

We all could have.

Like so many posts here

just before I go out....

lets be positive here. While it is part of our personality, it can still be changed. We need to believe that or else we are destined for failure.

See you guys/gals tomorrow

What do you need? What do you not have to deal with your anxiety?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I've been reading up a little on Relationship OCD and pretty much all of the symptoms really ring true with me. Should I bring it up with my therapist or will she just think I'm trying to self diagnose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I really want to relax and enjoy life. Its so short and I feel like I'm wasting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

What do you need? What do you not have to deal with your anxiety?

I find a nice joint helps.
    I know it be frowned upon but I find it helps immensely
    To take stock of things and reflect on thus crazy world

I find a nice joint helps.
    I know it be frowned upon but I find it helps immensely
    To take stock of things and reflect on thus crazy world

As a general point of view I would avoid cannabis if you suffer from anxiety. I abused it for years finding solace being stoned compared to being highly anxious the rest of the time. I'd smoke every night to relax after struggling through the day. This obviously led to a strong relationship between safety and cannabis and I'm only in the process of breaking that now (8 weeks without it but still get major cravings).

Not directed at you as you seem to be using it for the right reasons but for most people with anxiety I'd be wary.

Sardino wrote: »
    As a general point of view I would avoid cannabis if you suffer from anxiety. I abused it for years finding solace being stoned compared to being highly anxious the rest of the time. I'd smoke every night to relax after struggling through the day. This obviously led to a strong relationship between safety and cannabis and I'm only in the process of breaking that now (8 weeks without it but still get major cravings).

Not directed at you as you seem to be using it for the right reasons but for most people with anxiety I'd be wary.

Well done on the 8 weeks staying clean Sardino :)

• Advertisement

I've been reading up a little on Relationship OCD and pretty much all of the symptoms really ring true with me. Should I bring it up with my therapist or will she just think I'm trying to self diagnose?

I have never heard of relationship OCD. What is that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement