Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options
  • 05-01-2012 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone give some proper tips on where to start for the exams?? Should we revise (the whole CAP 1 and 2) or just wait for lectures and start doing case studies?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

It would be good if anyone who has successfully passed FAE (new) could give some advice on this.

This will be my approach which is by no means guaranteed to work as this will be my first attempt, so any other approaches are more than welcome:

There is no time to revise all of CAP1 & 2. Make sure you know the materials covered during the induction classes. Anything you do not know make a note of and make sure you are able to either go back and learn how to do it or at least know where to access it should it come up. Attend all the lectures especially the case study classes, because as far as I am aware they will not be streamed. Do your pre-reading, do your follow-up reading. The key is to know your notes and where everything is, have templates, keep your materials well referenced so that you are able to access them quickly. At this stage it's important to be able to apply what you know, not necessarily know every technical detail - just know where to find it! And as for case studies, practice practice practice! This is the way to learn how to apply your knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Organisation is key! Print off the notes before each lecture (if supplied) and file them properly once your are finished with them.

If you keep your files in order throughout the year it will take less time off your study time trying to get them organised.

Whenever you have sometime to spare download and print the exam papers and organise them too.

In relation to study - have a plan, don't get up that morning thinking "What will I study today?". If you know what you are going to study you will know what you need and shouldn't have too much information around you that you don't need.

A good tip I was given was to go through the competency statement and make sure you have something for each point on the statement and know where to find it.

When studying make sure you give yourself a break through-out the day otherwise you will hit a slump and stop taking things in. Also don't spend all day and all night studying - it's not very useful. I tend to get up at 8 abd study from 9-12.30 take a break for lunch, then study from 2-6.30. Depending on how I feel I would somethimes spend an hour later in the evening doing something non-taxing like referencing things or making notes.

Also don't be afraid to use these forums, if you don't know the answer to something there is a very good chance that somebody on here does.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moorstown

Hey, does anyone know how best to approach Business Leadership, I went down on it 2 years in a row, really frustrating. I'd like to get grinds on it if possible but no one seems to know where. Any ideas or contacts??? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hill16 Fan

Moorestown - PM me regarding your query I should be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

Guys keen to get an idea, how people are planning to approach the FAE in terms of studying etc.

I am a repeat student and was thinking of perhaps Starting with Audit elective and Financial reporting (Two biggest subjects) from May and try and go through all the case studies by June. Leaving July and Aug to go through the other subjects and practice case studies/past papers etc.

However keen to get an idea what others are planning to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

kitten_k wrote: »
    Organisation is key! Print off the notes before each lecture (if supplied) and file them properly once your are finished with them.

If you keep your files in order throughout the year it will take less time off your study time trying to get them organised.

Whenever you have sometime to spare download and print the exam papers and organise them too.

In relation to study - have a plan, don't get up that morning thinking "What will I study today?". If you know what you are going to study you will know what you need and shouldn't have too much information around you that you don't need.

A good tip I was given was to go through the competency statement and make sure you have something for each point on the statement and know where to find it.

When studying make sure you give yourself a break through-out the day otherwise you will hit a slump and stop taking things in. Also don't spend all day and all night studying - it's not very useful. I tend to get up at 8 abd study from 9-12.30 take a break for lunch, then study from 2-6.30. Depending on how I feel I would somethimes spend an hour later in the evening doing something non-taxing like referencing things or making notes.

Also don't be afraid to use these forums, if you don't know the answer to something there is a very good chance that somebody on here does.
    How far back on the old fae papers are you going to go ?

Re- Past papers i mean sample, Past papers ( New) and Mock exams.

Re old FAE- Audit ones are useful for practice for the elective Not sure if other are of any use. Multi D may be! but they are too easy!!! I wish i was born a few years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 marjo87

does anyone have a copy of the new cases for 2012

marjo87 wrote: »
    does anyone have a copy of the new cases for 2012

Due to limitations on here i will upload in batches. These are the cases that have been provided to date and uploaded on the FAE revision course.

Can someone double check these in case i am missing some answers or questions please feel free to add and share!!

Lets help eachother guys!

Part 2

• Advertisement

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

wow chursy you're a star! thanks very much, appreciate it!
    I will go through my notes and folders at home and upload anything notes and questions i have from grind school last year in case it helps for this year!

No worries mate!!! its all for the good cause for everyone!!

What will be handy is if we can get a list of all cases together, just to be sure that we have all the cases.

I will try and get something together and perhaps we can then compare and updated the list and share accordingly in case we are missing info etc.

Sounds like a plan?

definitely ...anything at this stage to make sure we are on the pass list in November. I will make a list over the weekend, when I can get a hold of my folders, of the cases I have to date and will ask a few others I know repeating to do the same. Then as you said we can compare!

definitely ...anything at this stage to make sure we are on the pass list in November.

Couldn't agree more to that!! Need to get these out this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Szewinska

Fair play folks for this thread. If anything I feel worthwhile to add I gladly will.

CAn anyone upload the delivery schedule for this year. I am a repeat student and hence dont have the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FAE_UCH

Planning and delivery schedule 2012

• Advertisement

For everyone!

http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/Student-Information/Courses/Course-Timetables/

Just login with your Studen ID and you get access to all the notes for 2012 for all Core subject ( Induction lectures) - All lectures can be streamed online. This also includes the FAE delivery document.

does anybody have a copy of the following cases;

boyne
    claddagh
    lagan
    lee
    liffey?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Hi guys,

Ok due to other committments (and part laziness :D), its only now I'm getting around to looking at studying for September. I had a hard drive with all the up to date notes and induction notes from a lad at work but unfortunately that broke. So Im just wondering are the notes that are in the student centre all the notes that were uploaded during the year? Just there doesnt seem to be too many up there, if i can remember there were feck all in the finance folder. Also does anyone know anywhere i can get the induction notes? Finally, unless Im navigating the student centre incorrectly, it seems that the institute have taken down many of the streamed videos, that sucks!! Sorry for the long post!

@at Flange - See my post above - you will get most of the notes from there i suppose and download everything on your portal.

I presume you have access to the 2012, would be great if you can share and help us ( repeat) students here as we don't have access to the portal.

does anybody have a copy of the following cases;

boyne
    claddagh
    lagan
    lee
    liffey?

thanks

Marjo - are these 2012 cases? Did you get these from the delivery schedule?

What strategy are people planning to follow to go about these exams?

Still working on consol case list will upload shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FAE_UCH

Would anyone be able to post the following cases I appear to have the solutions but not the cases

-Green Homes
    -Jones Fine Furniture
    -Telco

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

Starting to proper freak out now. Going through these stupid cases is so time consuming. Need to get finger out and start caning them. Goodbye life

• Advertisement

FAE_UCH wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to post the following cases I appear to have the solutions but not the cases

-Green Homes
    -Jones Fine Furniture
    -Telco

Thanks a mill

I dont have them with me in Dublin at the moment but I can put them up here on the bank hol wkd if no one has done so by then ....

Advertisement