Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot and Belgard solicitors

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Turn the tables on this shower by requesting a copy of all data they have on you under Section 4 of the Freedom of Information Acts. They can only charge you a maximum of €6.35 for the privilege. More information here:

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Accessing-Your-Personal-Information/14.htm

This is also the no-brainer route to getting copies of your account histories from both your old bank and from MBNA/AvantCard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

Hi there I had exactly the same problem with Cabot and mbna.i did not have to pay it in the end. First write to Cabot tell them the data on the letter is incorrect and not up to date and you will take a case under data protection commissioner to them if they attempt to communicate by letter or phone to you again. Tell them to refer the matter back to mbna. Under data protection mbna had a duty to keep your data/amt owed up to date and to communicate this to you via monthly statements showing the correct Amt outstanding which you say they have not done in some time. Then write to mbna and say you will take a case under data protection as they failed to send you regular statements of the amount outstanding yet they notified a third pArty Cabot of incorrect data with regard to you. Say unless they confirm the amt they say is outstanding is cleared you will consult your solicitor and any costs arising will be billed to them. Enclose the letter you sent to Cabot. When I followed this process I found that within three days I had an apologetic call from mbna and they said the debt was cleared. Make sure you get it in writing from them or the debt could rear its ugly head again with another debt agency. My background is bank/ debt collection so I am confident this process will work. Happy to help further if I can and to draft letters for you if needed just send me a pm with your phone nr. I don't charge for this service. Also make sure mbna confirm they have not added your details to icb so your credit rating is not affected. All debt collection agencies adopt dubious practices but Cabot are probably the worse of all

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nemo26

My problem is identical.

I did have an MBNA card which I believe I closed correctly & I have not had any communication from MBNA for YEARS!! Yet apparently I owe €177 to Cabot. I have always paid off my CC bills in full each month.

Despite having written a barred letter a number of times to Cabot & Belgard and having a letter of complaint acknowledged by Cabot, on Friday I received yet another letter from Belgard threatening legal action as I have "refused" to engage!! Such poppycock!

I was just wondering to what MBNA address you wrote? My understanding is that MBNA have pulled out of Ireland and all debts were bought by AvantCard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Can this company not be reported to some quango or something? What they are doing is harassment and false representation.
    Financial regulator maybe, or does that office exist now?
    The Law Society in the case of their legal arm.

https://www.financialombudsman.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Hi there I had exactly the same problem with Cabot and mbna.i did not have to pay it in the end. First write to Cabot tell them the data on the letter is incorrect and not up to date and you will take a case under data protection commissioner to them if they attempt to communicate by letter or phone to you again. Tell them to refer the matter back to mbna. Under data protection mbna had a duty to keep your data/amt owed up to date and to communicate this to you via monthly statements showing the correct Amt outstanding which you say they have not done in some time. Then write to mbna and say you will take a case under data protection as they failed to send you regular statements of the amount outstanding yet they notified a third pArty Cabot of incorrect data with regard to you. Say unless they confirm the amt they say is outstanding is cleared you will consult your solicitor and any costs arising will be billed to them. Enclose the letter you sent to Cabot. When I followed this process I found that within three days I had an apologetic call from mbna and they said the debt was cleared. Make sure you get it in writing from them or the debt could rear its ugly head again with another debt agency. My background is bank/ debt collection so I am confident this process will work. Happy to help further if I can and to draft letters for you if needed just send me a pm with your phone nr. I don't charge for this service. Also make sure mbna confirm they have not added your details to icb so your credit rating is not affected. All debt collection agencies adopt dubious practices but Cabot are probably the worse of all

I would really appreciate if you could advise what MBNA address you contacted MBNA. I can't find any current Irish address.

Would anyone know when MBNA moved from St Stephens Green to Carrick On Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Best to think of Cabot and their ilk as a machine, they do not know or care about other parts of the machine. They have a name, a customer number and an amount they are owed. Pointless trying to deal with them as if it is a human, it will only upset you if you think you are not getting your "opinion" across, you are just a number and an amount owed regardless of right or wrong they are to collect.

In all instances of the "machine" not working, i would take the hour in court and ask the judge to award costs to them.

The above advice only applies to people who are actually paying debts and having issues with that, if your not best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Citizen2011

Debt Collection in Ireland and the UK is now a game. A game of chicken to see who blinks said. As other posters have said these debts have been purchased for buttons and there is no way they would instigate proper legal proceedings. They would lose a fortune. That's why they have consolidated the debt collection i.e. Cabot and Belgard Solrs under one roof. Belgard write the "scary" letters to give an impression it's moving through the legal process when in fact it's been passed by some fella to his colleague at the desk beside him. It's a big game and they probably bank on 10-15% of the debtors paying up and they're profitable with that.

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 reddevildazz

Hello all

Could somebody help me? In 2008 I got a car loan through GE Money. When I lost my job due to the recession I had a plan in place that for the first 6 months or so I was out of work GE Money would make those loan repayments.

While I was out of work I had to start caring for my grandmother and when the time was up on GE Money making the repayments I was unable to make them myself so I gave up the car.

The car went to auction and was sold for considerably less than what it was worth.

2 years later I received a letter in the post from GE Money saying I owed the remaining debt. As I was not working at the time I made an agreement with them that I would pay what I could.

A year later I was sent letters etc from this Cabot financial crowd saying that I owed them the money and to pay up or I was been brought to court (I am still getting these letters and phone calls to this day). I gave GE Money, now known as Pepper, a call and they said my debt had been sold to this Cabot crowd.

According to them I still owe upwards of €12000 . Since my grandmother died in 2013 I wasn't able to find work so I went back to college that August and finished in June of this year.

I am now on Jobseekers Allowance and trying to pay what I can but it's not enough for this Cabot crowd. I am still getting letters by them, a place called Belgard Solicitors and getting harassing phone calls.

Since my grandmother died I have been in treatment for depression and anxiety. I can't see a way out of this predicament and just want to find a way to settle this debt. Does anybody know if Cabot financial would accept a lower number to clear the debt. I'm at my wits end.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Hello all

Could somebody help me? In 2008 I got a car loan through GE Money. When I lost my job due to the recession I had a plan in place that for the first 6 months or so I was out of work GE Money would make those loan repayments.

While I was out of work I had to start caring for my grandmother and when the time was up on GE Money making the repayments I was unable to make them myself so I gave up the car.

The car went to auction and was sold for considerably less than what it was worth.

2 years later I received a letter in the post from GE Money saying I owed the remaining debt. As I was not working at the time I made an agreement with them that I would pay what I could.

A year later I was sent letters etc from this Cabot financial crowd saying that I owed them the money and to pay up or I was been brought to court (I am still getting these letters and phone calls to this day). I gave GE Money, now known as Pepper, a call and they said my debt had been sold to this Cabot crowd.

According to them I still owe upwards of €12000 . Since my grandmother died in 2013 I wasn't able to find work so I went back to college that August and finished in June of this year.

I am now on Jobseekers Allowance and trying to pay what I can but it's not enough for this Cabot crowd. I am still getting letters by them, a place called Belgard Solicitors and getting harassing phone calls.

Since my grandmother died I have been in treatment for depression and anxiety. I can't see a way out of this predicament and just want to find a way to settle this debt. Does anybody know if Cabot financial would accept a lower number to clear the debt. I'm at my wits end.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    My opinion on this is if you got your hands on a lump sum to pay them Fu*k off money then I would take them to the wire on how you cannot pay then anything and then tell them that a brother etc would loan you 2k if it would give you full and final settlement with them.
    Thats just me and I am sure there are people here more experienced with what way to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Citizen2011

Don't pay them anything under the current circumstances. You have too much going on besides that you need to focus on first.

Don't pay them anything under the current circumstances. You have too much going on besides that you need to focus on first.
    Will they not take her to court if she does not make some sort of nominal monthly payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

This crowd of yahoo's started hassling me two years ago. I just ignored them and they stopped. No court, just a few threatening letters but they never followed through.

They try to put you under pressure, but in reality they're the ones under pressure.

This crowd of yahoo's started hassling me two years ago. I just ignored them and they stopped. No court, just a few threatening letters but they never followed through.

They try to put you under pressure, but in reality they're the ones under pressure.
    How much did you owe them though,was it as much as 12k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The game changed last week, the Civil Debts (procedures) Bill 2015 allows businesses to apply to have attachment orders on wages and benefits
    The Bill, published by Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald on Tuesday, will allow creditors to seek an attachment of earnings order, for a deduction from a debtor’s wages, from the District Court..

Under the current civil debt legislation, utility companies including Irish Water as well as sole traders can apply to the courts to recover payment of debts ranging from €500 to €4,000. The money can be repaid through reductions from certain social welfare payments or through attachment of earnings, if the court so decides. Consumer debts owed to financial institutions or licensed moneylenders arising from loans are excluded from the scope of the legislation.

edit: just saw Fred's post above.
    @davo10 why would you post misleading information? If you don't know the facts, don't post inaccuracies.

They still need an initial judgement to begin with. That costs them an awful amount of money in drafting and legal fees. They can't unilaterally get money from someone's wages/dole without the approval of the courts. So not as simple as you state.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR15000421

The Bill only covers debts up to €4000. So anything above that is not covered. And it only covers those that won't pay not those that can't pay.

And the most important point:

Hopefully that will be the end of these vulture debt collecting companies but for €12k I can see the merit of businesses spending a couple of hundred euro applying to the court to at least recover €4k. I think it is only right too, for every person who can't pay I am sure there are many more who don't want to pay.

Under the current civil debt legislation, utility companies including Irish Water as well as sole traders can apply to the courts to recover payment of debts ranging from €500 to €4,000. The money can be repaid through reductions from certain social welfare payments or through attachment of earnings, if the court so decides. Consumer debts owed to financial institutions or licensed moneylenders arising from loans are excluded from the scope of the legislation.

edit: just saw Fred's post above.
    @davo10 why would you post misleading information? If you don't know the facts, don't post inaccuracies.

I'll admit I don't know the details of the bill and I wasn't aware of the exclusions, I caught snippets of the news items about it last week and didn't realise it didn't apply to lending institutions. The bit I read about it only referred to "creditors".

• Advertisement

They won't be able to use this system to collect say €4k of a bigger debt.

That's crazy, €4k of a bigger debt is better than a kick in the arse.

davo10 wrote: »
    Hopefully that will be the end of these vulture debt collecting companies but for €12k I can see the merit of businesses spending a couple of hundred euro applying to the court to at least recover €4k. I think it is only right too, for every person who can't pay I am sure there are many more who don't want to pay.
    A lot of the work this carpetbagger company does is bought from Avant who bought the company and its debts of MBNA who threw around credit cards to people during the good times like confetti, to people who did not qualify with other credit card companies and encouraged customers to take out a second credit card with them when the first one was maxed out to get around the irresponsible lending rules.
    They have now fu*cked of out of the country after this and leave these vultures in control to frighten people that they irresponsibly lent to,dont have much sympathy for these companies.

tipptom wrote: »
    A lot of the work this carpetbagger company does is bought from Avant who bought the company and its debts of MBNA who threw around credit cards to people during the good times like confetti, to people who did not qualify with other credit card companies and encouraged customers to take out a second credit card with them when the first one was maxed out to get around the irresponsible lending rules.
    They have now fu*cked of out of the country after this and leave these vultures in control to frighten people that they irresponsibly lent to,dont have much sympathy for these companies.

Ah ya gotta love MBNA, flag bearer for the Celtic tiger, I got a letter from them saying I had been approved for a credit card with a €5k limit even though I had never heard of them in circa 2005, they deserved what they got.

tipptom wrote: »
    How much did you owe them though,was it as much as 12k?

Not exactly 12k but not far off... The last I heard from them was an offer to write off half.

Ah ya gotta love MBNA, flag bearer for the Celtic tiger, I got a letter from them saying I had been approved for a credit card with a €5k limit even though I had never heard of them in circa 2005, they deserved what they got.

Similar to some of the companies who rang me during the good times with pre approved loans, I remember going into PCworld and buying a laptop on finance, 2 months later they called to offer me a car loan which they'd pre approved to value of 30k, all I had to do was say yes( I had no job at the time )
    Same company is one of cabots biggest customers... Is it any wonder?? Offering loans to anyone who wanted them.

Similar to some of the companies who rang me during the good times with pre approved loans, I remember going into PCworld and buying a laptop on finance, 2 months later they called to offer me a car loan which they'd pre approved to value of 30k, all I had to do was say yes( I had no job at the time )
    Same company is one of cabots biggest customers... Is it any wonder?? Offering loans to anyone who wanted them.

Easy money followed by a baseball to the head but at the same time, ya gotta take responsibility for your actions, you are an adult so you shoulda known what you were signing up for, money is not free unless of course you are a billionaire and you go to the UK to declare bankruptcy, then you are on the pigs back to start again, I doubt Cabot and Belgard have made many phone calls to Bernard McNamara.

Easy money followed by a baseball to the head but at the same time, ya gotta take responsibility for your actions, you are an adult so you shoulda known what you were signing up for, money is not free unless of course you are a billionaire and you go to the UK to declare bankruptcy, then you are on the pigs back to start again, I doubt Cabot and Belgard have made many phone calls to Bernard McNamara.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to lecture people. Apart from that, it doesn't help/inform the OP in any way.
    You post inaccurate information and then proceed to lecture people you know nothing of.
    Move along.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 710 ✭✭✭omnithanos

I got a couple of texts from Cabot asking me to phone them urgently. Then a few months later I got a phone call from Belgard telling me they were acting for Cabot. They asked me to confirm my home address which I didn't do. I've never received any correspondence from either and I've been at the same address for the past 18 years so should I just ignore them?

Maybe they've been sending letters to a previous business address or something.

My level of honesty is such that my daughter was 11 last week and we will be going to a theme park next month who charge adult prices for over 11's. I will be paying full price but I did seriously consider purchasing the child ticket.

Advertisement