Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The m18 500 metres form the gort exit 07/08/17IMAG2042_zpsvwvqicmf.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

m17 wrote: »
    The m18 500 metres form the gort exit 07/08/17IMAG2042_zpsvwvqicmf.jpg
    Wow. No more N66 in that case, redesignated R380?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

When is this opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

marno21 wrote: »
    Wow. No more N66 in that case, redesignated R380?

So that means the whole lot of the signs between Gort and Loughrea have to be removed and put up again with a white background. Such a waste of MONEY!! :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

paul2013 wrote: »
    So that means the whole lot of the signs between Gort and Loughrea have to be removed and put up again with a white background. Such a waste of MONEY!! :eek:
    Not as much of a waste of money as trying to maintain a glorified boreen to 100km/h traffic running standards, especially when it has one of the worst stretches of national road in the country east of Kilchreest including a deplorable bridge.

Signing all N18 -> N6 traffic via Rathmorrissey is the correct thing to do. It's a bit longer but more consistent regarding travel times and a lot more safer.

The N66/R380 as a regional road with 80km/h limit makes sense.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Not as much of a waste of money as trying to maintain a glorified boreen to 100km/h traffic running standards, especially when it has one of the worst stretches of national road in the country east of Kilchreest including a deplorable bridge.

Signing all N18 -> N6 traffic via Rathmorrissey is the correct thing to do. It's a bit longer but more consistent regarding travel times and a lot more safer.

The N66/R380 as a regional road with 80km/h limit makes sense.

I know its a horrible road to travel on as its as rough and the bridge in Kilchreest before Loughrea town is an absolute nightmare when your pulling a tanker of milk and meet someone with a Merc that will not stand back to let you over this bridge. I was talking to someone today and apparently the junction on the M6 aka Rathmorrissey. The TII built the toll plaza at Cappataggle there to apparently help pay for the Dublin sized junction.

The m18 gort to rathmorrissy part one 07/08/17 gort looking towards LimerickIMAG2041_zpsprxxabky.jpggort looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2040_zpsvcajro8s.jpgcoole park looking towards gortIMAG2039_zps5rixaedg.jpgcoole park looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2037_zpst9irbrfc.jpgcoole park flyoverIMAG2038_zpsayshs98p.jpgbat bridgeIMAG2031_zpspur2urxk.jpgraheen/kiltartan looking towards gortIMAG2030_zpspexwoivp.jpgraheen/kiltartan looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2029_zpsa8dziswg.jpgraheen/kilkelly looking towards gortIMAG2028_zpsrvxcebvn.jpgraheen/kilkelly looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2027_zpsoqhkjzia.jpgballymaquiff looking towards gortIMAG2026_zps54ry1iso.jpgballymaquiff looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2025_zpsxpdeiik9.jpgowenbristy looking towards gortIMAG2024_zpspgdcfomb.jpgowenbristy looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2023_zpsglcembb0.jpgparkatleva looking towards gortIMAG2022_zpsbosnkwkt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is there going to be a toll on this new M17/18?

One thing I hate about driving from Galway to Dublin is the two tolls. You would think one would be enough.

The m18 part two parkatleva looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2021_zpsznopbfwd.jpgkiltiernan looking towards gortIMAG2020_zpskpid3hdl.jpgkiltiernan looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2019_zpsozi8kzt6.jpgcaranavooduan looking towards gortIMAG2018_zpsegnx1x8s.jpgcaranavooduan looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2017_zps09zhjuvk.jpgtourghtrassa looking towards gortIMAG2015_zpszl734qpm.jpgtourghtrassa looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2014_zps2kuthl5d.jpgrinn looking towards gortIMAG2013_zpsstc1mc1l.jpgrinn looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2012_zpstbiatq1a.jpgparknacuappuil looking towards gortIMAG2011_zps4savmods.jpgparknacuappuil looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2010_zpsf9xiwbkp.jpgcoldwood looking towards gortIMAG2008_zpsam0p56zu.jpgcoldwood looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2009_zpsjgcpjjcs.jpggortroeIMAG2016_zpsbdvbupns.jpgend of the m18 at rathmorrissyIMAG1964_zpssibuaioa.jpgthese pics are for you guys who have made this one of the best road forums on board's and with 1,159,018 views to date we must be doing something right yours m17

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

Is there going to be a toll on this new M17/18?

One thing I hate about driving from Galway to Dublin is the two tolls. You would think one would be enough.

No, no toll until you get to the Limerick tunnel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I know its a horrible road to travel on as its as rough and the bridge in Kilchreest before Loughrea town is an absolute nightmare when your pulling a tanker of milk and meet someone with a Merc that will not stand back to let you over this bridge. I was talking to someone today and apparently the junction on the M6 aka Rathmorrissey. The TII built the toll plaza at Cappataggle there to apparently help pay for the Dublin sized junction.

Why would a Guard be pulling a tanker of milk?

Truckermal wrote: »
    Why would a Guard be pulling a tanker of milk?

Well I've met many a Mercedes people drive again a tanker of milk on this particular bridge and the Mercedes has usually ended up with no mirrors :o

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

M17 you are a real star. I follow this thread daily for updates even though I know nothing about the area and live in the UK.
    We really need your equivalent on the M11 Enniscorthy thread, and also the New Ross bypass !
    As for the M20 and Metro North .......
    Many thanks for your great work.

DJ

Well I've met many a Mercedes people drive again a tanker of milk on this particular bridge and the Mercedes has usually ended up with no mirrors :o

Your grasp of the English language is hurting my wing mirrors

The slip road at rathmorrissy linking the m6 to the m18 08/08/17IMAG1986_zpsvbcpkue7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

On the subject of no tolls. This was a factual error FRANK McDonald made in his article on Irish Times of21 August 2014. Suggested that compensation would have to be paid to the Direct Route consortium if traffic levels didn't reach projections. He referenced this happening n Limerick Tunnel and M3 but I'm taking it this doesn't arise on Gort tuam as no tolls and a different funding mechanism.? The article in question seemed to be a hatchet job on what is a welcome and vital new piece of infrastructure.

Roadfan wrote: »
    On the subject of no tolls. This was a factual error FRANK McDonald made in his article on Irish Times of21 August 2014. Suggested that compensation would have to be paid to the Direct Route consortium if traffic levels didn't reach projections. He referenced this happening n Limerick Tunnel and M3 but I'm taking it this doesn't arise on Gort tuam as no tolls and a different funding mechanism.? The article in question seemed to be a hatchet job on what is a welcome and vital new piece of infrastructure.

As you say, not an issue on this scheme due to lack of hard tolls. Payment method is via availability payments as part of a DBFOM contract (design build finance operate and maintain). Full details are available on ppp.gov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Am definitely tempted to drive to Limerick for no reason what so ever in November. Not that I would have any reason to drive there anyway.

:pac:

The m17 at castlelambert looking towards rathmorrisy 08/08/17IMAG2044_zpsdgbui5kx.jpgcastlelambert looking towards tuamIMAG2045_zpsm3swhu5w.jpgsisk have 6kms of line painting left to do on the southbound and northbound lanes and the cat's eye's and that will be the m17 completed

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

Great thread m17, now for the question thats been bugging me.
    Is there a reason for the distinctive design of the bat bridge as opposed to what we normally see. Even if there is a clue in the name I wonder does it really make a differnce, it is nice btw.

• Advertisement

unit 1 wrote: »
    Is there a reason for the distinctive design of the bat bridge as opposed to what we normally see. Even if there is a clue in the name I wonder does it really make a differnce, it is nice btw.

Here's the top of the bat bridge it's for bats how have nests on both sides of the motorway2017-08-08_07-57-43_zpsl1kuvpgg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

m17 wrote: »
    Here's the top of the bat bridge it's for bats how have nests on both sides of the motorway2017-08-08_07-57-43_zpsl1kuvpgg.jpg

Let the batstards pay for it Jesus we can't be shelling out for them.

#talktoJoe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Coming off at Gort the last day, the sign said road opening early 2018,did I read that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

unit 1 wrote: »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxgpi7cNMlFVMGpfbGRRd3BWN0E/view

youngblood wrote: »
    Coming off at Gort the last day, the sign said road opening early 2018,did I read that right?

Yes you did,they are three months ahead of schedule it will open on the 24th of November but the official opening will be Feb 182017-07-07_10-13-31_zpskd6snm4i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Thats amazing, thank you,
    often go between loughrea and gort to get to ennis, will I be able to stay on galway road now and join this motorway to go to ennis? Coming from dublin that is

youngblood wrote: »
    Thats amazing, thank you,
    often go between loughrea and gort to get to ennis, will I be able to stay on galway road now and join this motorway to go to ennis? Coming from dublin that is

Yes you would. Much better than the N66. Get off the M6 at J18 and use the new M18 to get to Ennis

The m17 1km form tuam 09/08/15IMAG0156_zpsrjiz5dfe.jpg09/08/17IMAG1831_zpskhl6bxud.jpg

Did anyone see the 2 T.I.I. cars going on the new Motorway this morning in Gort at 11am? They were testing it apparently and it took 22mins to 25mins to get from the new M18 Gort to M17 Tuam. As I was just speaking with the road workers on site. What's the current time on the N18 north of Gort to the N17 Tuam via Claregalway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Did anyone see the 2 T.I.I. cars going on the new Motorway this morning in Gort at 11am? They were testing it apparently and it took 22mins to 25mins to get from the new M18 Gort to M17 Tuam. As I was just speaking with the road workers on site. What's the current time on the N18 north of Gort to the N17 Tuam via Claregalway

1 hour, if you're lucky - depends on the time of day too of course.

Advertisement