Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

'Pakajak' is the way to go as it fits in your jersey pocket.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReHyx2fSZBw2eFI0_SZHTjKqFgsvMC0ftC5IfRM69Rw-qJhw59

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

What do you bring on the cycle?
    This is my first cycle event so I plan on bringing the following.

Wearing, cycling top and shorts, helmet, and glasses.
    Carrying, spare tube, puncture repair kit, pump, 2 water bottles, phone. I will also bring a number snacks, and dioralytes and some money for buying food along the way.

Is there anything I am missing out? Do you bring waterproof jackets etc.?
    Thanks for your advice.

The forecast isn't great so a waterproof jacket is probably a must. I have one I got in Aldi that fits into a little pouch and I can tie (with the drawstrings of the pouch) between my saddle bag and my saddle. Also if it is raining look at getting one of those peaked cycling caps that fit under your helmet. I only started using one recently and it was a godsend for keeping water coming off my helmet and onto my face. If your shorts don't have padding get a pair that do.

Bring a second tube. It's a long cycle and a puncture early on would mean you'll be going 100K+ with no spare. Good strong tyre levers are a must. There is nothing more annoying than having a tube but forgetting your levers. Some people recommend carrying a small multitool with a tool for fixing a broken chain. I don't carry one because I don't know how to fix a chain but if you do then it sounds like a sensible option. One of the lads in my group brings a few baby-wipes wrapped in a sandwich bag to clean hands after fixing a puncture etc before getting back on the bike. Scrunched up they take up no space in the bag and the sandwich bag keeps them moist.

On that note does anyone know any shops on the route that sell tubes etc. It may be a good idea to post a list here so people know if they have used their spare they just have to go x km to a shop to get another.

It is my first time doing the ROK but by all accounts there is food (bananas etc) at the top of climbs etc as well as the official stops so I wouldn't carry more food than a small cereal bar and maybe a tube of wine gums or pastilles. If you get stuck have €20 in your saddle bag. Weighs a lot less than the food you can buy with it in any one of the many shops along the route. Keep the dioralyte powder or tablets you are used to. You don't want to be changing to something you don't know half way around.

Sun lotion. Even it is showery sun lotion is a must. You will be on the bike a long time and even if the sun comes out half the time that is more than enough time to burn you. You can get small bottles in any pharmacy for travel on airplanes which you can fill with sun lotion they will easily fit in your saddle bag. Rub some on at the start from the main bottle and then top up during the ride with the small bottle. Note I said sun lotion not sun cream. Lotion comes out of those little bottles a lot easier than sun cream. Wrap the bottle in a sandwich bag to prevent leaks. You'll be sweating throughout and I wouldn't rely on just the initial application of lotion in the morning.

Get a bike computer (if you don't already have one). That way you can tell how far you have to go. I also like to look up how long climbs are so I know how to pace myself and how far I have to go. It's really bad to have to stop and catch your breath on a climb and then find out the top was just around the next bend. There are cleap ones in Aldi at the moment. They don't seem to last too long on bumpy Irish roads but they would be better than nothing for one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

Staying in a house on the Killorglin road out of Killarney, I assume there's no need for us to pass through the start line and we can just start from where we're staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

EaSwe wrote: »
    Staying in a house on the Killorglin road out of Killarney, I assume there's no need for us to pass through the start line and we can just start from where we're staying?

You will probably be beyond the bike tag checkpoint, that is the way around having no tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Smith614 wrote: »
    You will probably be beyond the bike tag checkpoint, that is the way around having no tag.

There are a few checkpoints. Many people start and finish in Kilorglan and Kenmare every year, so nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

i never noticed one tagpoint last year. are they in the designated feeding stops or on the road ? i started from Kenmare at the same time so was 30 kms or so behind the start

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

I only saw the 1 tagpoint just outside Killarney last year. I just parked in Lidl and went from there didnt want to get stuck in the madness of the starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sneem

Quick opinion needed.
    I was thinking of doing a 30km cycle today, but alot of people say to take it easy the last week b4 rok.
    Should I do more training this evening or do nothing until Saturday?

sneem wrote: »
    Quick opinion needed.
    I was thinking of doing a 30km cycle today, but alot of people say to take it easy the last week b4 rok.
    Should I do more training this evening or do nothing until Saturday?

keep the legs turning every day this week, not hard and not getting yourself out of breath. if you've done your hard miles all along then it's just about keeping fresh this week, enjoy your cycling. rest and eating are important

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sneem

Ok Thanks for advice

• Advertisement

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    i never noticed one tagpoint last year. are they in the designated feeding stops or on the road ? i started from Kenmare at the same time so was 30 kms or so behind the start

How could you not have seen the one outside Killarney?! Every cyclist had to slow down to about 15km/h and filter through barriers, and there was about 20 people there looking for tags. Unless the checkpoint was gone by the time you got there?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taxuser1 View Post
    How could you not have seen the one outside Killarney?! Every cyclist had to slow down to about 15km/h and filter through barriers, and there was about 20 people there looking for tags. Unless the checkpoint was gone by the time you got there?

i think the clue is in the quote!

i think the clue is in the quote!

I must be slow...? :D

they must have been long gone. i started in Kenmare and it's 30 kms away from Killarney starting with Molls Gap so I'd say they moved on by the time we hit the actual start point. We started meeting folks on the road around Caherciveen but there wasn't a sinner in Killarney when we passed through

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Surgical gloves are great and take up little space in your saddle bag. Perfect for repairing punctures/if your chain comes off

they must have been long gone. i started in Kenmare and it's 30 kms away from Killarney starting with Molls Gap so I'd say they moved on by the time we hit the actual start point. We started meeting folks on the road around Caherciveen but there wasn't a sinner in Killarney when we passed through

Ah yes, that's why I said they must have been gone by the time you arrived. I thought they would have stayed there though, because a lot of people start from Kenmare, and would have no problem catching others that started in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rebelnag

I'm still looking for a spare entry.
    Any going please? Will pay top up premium.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

mossym wrote: »

typically the hotels sell a block of rooms to online vendors at a reduced price well in advance, the online guys are then free to sell for whatever they like. this means sometimes the rooms are cheaper, but in times like this, the sites can charge way above the hotels rates, even more so if the hotel is sold out.

it's not fair to take prices from a third party then bash the hotels, that's like blaming the band because you paid the tout 4x the price on the ticket.

the hotels can;t be responsible for what an unrelated third party do with their prices. unless they had some condition included in the sale of the rooms to the online vendors in the first place

Firstly I'm not bashing anyone. Just observing and trying to figure out how they operate. As I said before I have no real issues with people trying to make as much money as they can. However I don't think that it is a good thing that so many hotels in Killarney have empty rooms on what should be the busiest weekend of the year.

It also does not ring true that the hotels have no say in the prices being charged by third party resellers . e.g. all the resellers were offering rooms at the Lake Hotel for €500 a night not so long ago. Now at least six resellers have rooms available at the Lake Hotel for the exact same price - €270 a night. Surely they can't be all coming to this price independently?

Similarly the Fairview which last week had no availability now has rooms available on multiple sites. Again all at same price for this hotel - €249 a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

tuch wrote: »
    Firstly I'm not bashing anyone. Just observing and trying to figure out how they operate. As I said before I have no real issues with people trying to make as much money as they can. However I don't think that it is a good thing that so many hotels in Killarney have empty rooms on what should be the busiest weekend of the year.

It also does not ring true that the hotels have no say in the prices being charged by third party resellers . e.g. all the resellers were offering rooms at the Lake Hotel for €500 a night not so long ago. Now at least six resellers have rooms available at the Lake Hotel for the exact same price - €270 a night. Surely they can't be all coming to this price independently?

Similarly the Fairview which last week had no availability now has rooms available on multiple sites. Again all at same price for this hotel - €249 a night.

The prices being asked are scandalous !! Such a rip off by the hotels..
    anyone know of ANYWHERE to stay in Killarney for the Friday night... (Im not paying €200-300 for that!!)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tuch wrote: »

all those resellers are just web front ends for the same bunch of room. look at the food industry. kellogs make the cornflakes, but they don't supply tesco, they supply an intermediary wholesaler who then supplies the shops. you thin every hotel down in killarney is individually dealing with hundreds of websites who carry their rooms? they'd have no time to look after their guests. The fact that all the rooms are going up and down together is even more evidence it's a single supplier for the myriad of hotel websites out there.
    greenspurs wrote: »
    The prices being asked are scandalous !! Such a rip off by the hotels..
    anyone know of ANYWHERE to stay in Killarney for the Friday night... (Im not paying €200-300 for that!!)

Have you tried the the hotels directly, and not just gone by the prices suggested on this thread? they may have last minute cancellations. you have however, left it till the last week for an event people were booking accommodation for before christmas so it sucks but you might have to either pay up or stay somewhere apart from killarney

• Advertisement

i would be massively surprised if every b&b was taken up particularly as the Munster Football Final is in Cork rather than Fitzgerald Stadium this year. Yes, the hotels can be extortionate but does Dublin do it any differently around match/concert time ?

Do a bit of research and you'll have no problem getting a place to bed down which in essence you won't care about after a day of cycling !

Sorry for pointing out the obvious as well though - why leave it so late to get a hotel ? There's 10000 entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rockymurf

Hi All,

I've a noob question for ye.

Are tandems allowed do this? The plan was my friend and myself to do it on one but he is getting nervous now, saying they're not allowed. I've tried contact the organiser but no joy,

Thanks

Rockymurf wrote: »
    Hi All,

Are tandems allowed do this? The plan was my friend and myself to do it on one but he is getting nervous now, saying they're not allowed. I've tried contact the organiser but no joy,

Thanks

they must be, myself and a a friend pushed a couple on one up one of the hills last year. they were struggling on the climb and we cycled either side and pushed them up.

i would be massively surprised if every b&b was taken up particularly as the Munster Football Final is in Cork rather than Fitzgerald Stadium this year. Yes, the hotels can be extortionate but does Dublin do it any differently around match/concert time ?

Do a bit of research and you'll have no problem getting a place to bed down which in essence you won't care about after a day of cycling !

Sorry for pointing out the obvious as well though - why leave it so late to get a hotel ? There's 10000 entered.

I only got a late entry , as i missed the cutoff.... :) My bad

greenspurs wrote: »
    I only got a late entry , as i missed the cutoff.... :) My bad

go back and ask whoever you got it from if they also had a room booked? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Rockymurf wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks

Defo lads on tandems the past two years.....
    One pair cycled from Drogheda left Thursday arrived Friday and did the ROK on the Saturday.......:cool::cool:

mossym wrote: »
    go back and ask whoever you got it from if they also had a room booked? :)

it was via the lottery .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

I just cancelled one room in the Quality Hotel (my buddy can't make it) - if anyone is stuck for accommodation it might be worth a try right now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

loinnsigh wrote: »
    I just cancelled one room in the Quality Hotel (my buddy can't make it) - if anyone is stuck for accommodation it might be worth a try right now...

Your buddy got a spare registration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

ruskin wrote: »
    Your buddy got a spare registration?

No he didn't actually register in the end - I made the booking back in February before registration opened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement