Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As bugs said though you can get component for the NTSC machines though. The Xbox and Dreamcast also had PAL 60 options although in the case of the Xbox Halo and Halo 2 had very poor PAL 60 conversions.

The PAL cube does RGB, the NTSC one does not. Modded PAL cube all day long really.

Well it doesn't natively output RGB, it can of course be made to do so - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/gc-rgb.htm

The PAL60 thing though is the real seller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd much prefer RGB on a CRT than component on an LCD.

I'd much prefer RGB on a CRT than component on an LCD.

Same here. Usually when we agree on something there's a tremor in the force, so to anyone who felt it...nothing to see here, these arn't the threads your looking for, you can go about your business, move along...move along.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Same here. Usually when we agree on something there's a tremor in the force, so to anyone who felt it...nothing to see here, these arn't the threads your looking for, you can go about your business, move along...move along.

Ah damn, I'd just gotten some chocolate chip biscuits ready for the 5 page arguments that end up in agreement. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I r disappoint :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

I think the PAL cube will output a component signal as long as it has the digital AV out and is running a supported NTSC game (via freeloader).
    Can't say for sure, but my cube is originally a PAL unit, i'm just using a chip to load NTSC games instead.
    The jump in clarity over RGB is pretty impressive, way more than i expected, especially so on a modern LCD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I used to have my Wii in RGB before moving to component and didn't notice too big of a jump in visual quality. The colours seeming a little brighter was the biggest difference. I kind of like the interlacing.

Master of the Universe

I don't have an RGB cable for my Wii at the moment and am playing it on a CRT with a composite cable. It's amazing how horrendous dot crawl is when you've gotten used to playing everything in RGB :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

I used to have my Wii in RGB before moving to component and didn't notice too big of a jump in visual quality. The colours seeming a little brighter was the biggest difference. I kind of like the interlacing.

I would have been of the same opinion, i didn't expect much. However, gamecube games don't look pleasant on a big LCD through RGB, blurred edges, washed out colours, etc. On component, it looks excellent, F-Zero and Mariokart are sharp and the detail shines through.

Did some reading about the operation of the custom IC chip within the component cable, but i've forgotten most of it, interesting that they would go to that degree with a cable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Today I received:

Midway Arcade Treasures [PSP, PAL, CIB], Retro Video Game Collector Magazine #9 and Dion [Super Famicom, NTSC-J]
    RjE5s.jpg

Chomakaimura [Super Famicom, NTSC-J
    VkwJc.jpg

The A-Z Of Cool Computer Games and Just Say No! To Microsoft books
    3JfyV.jpg

Namco Museum Vol.2 Volume Controller [PS1, NTSC-J, CIB], a VGA coupler, L-DIS [PC Engine, NTSC-J, CIB, SC-OCD] and Bangai-o [Dreamcast, PAL, CIB]
    0pcgU.jpg

Area 88 [Super Famicom, NTSC-J, missing tray else CIB] and Axelay [Super Famicom, NTSC-J, CIB]
    BCAu6.jpg

bugs wrote: »
    I would have been of the same opinion, i didn't expect much. However, gamecube games don't look pleasant on a big LCD through RGB, blurred edges, washed out colours, etc. On component, it looks excellent, F-Zero and Mariokart are sharp and the detail shines through.

Did some reading about the operation of the custom IC chip within the component cable, but i've forgotten most of it, interesting that they would go to that degree with a cable though.

I actually don't think the Gamecube is fully suited to lcd. It's on a knife-edge, but the gamecube for me looks best @ 60Hz RGB on CRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    I actually don't think the Gamecube is fully suited to lcd. It's on a knife-edge, but the gamecube for me looks best @ 60Hz RGB on CRT.

I feel the same way about the Wii. I don't think its suited to an lcd at all.

I got the official component cables and hooked it up to a few lcd screens and it just still looked pants. Grabbed an official rgb cable and hooked it up to the crt and it looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

A bundle of new additions for my collection, all acquired from Rage last week. My apologies to anyone who may have ventured there after my retro-shopping spree, I did leave the NES section looking slightly spartan :)

A bundle of new additions for my collection, all acquired from Rage last week. My apologies to anyone who may have ventured there after my retro-shopping spree, I did leave the NES section looking slightly spartan :)

V nice. They look in great condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What games did you get?

Boxed games:

Super Castlevania 4
    Populous
    Starwing
    DK Country
    DK Country 2
    Street Fighter alpha 2
    ISS Soccer
    Yoshis Island

Loose games:

Super Gameboy
    Super Mario World
    Batman Forever
    Mario Kart
    Mario All-stars

All for €70!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The SNES version of Alpha 2 is a collector's item, not for any reason relating to its gameplay. It shouldn't exist, the SNES was dead at the point of its release, the first Alpha never showed up on the SNES and the game itself really shouldn't work, at all. Bit surreal waiting for a SNES game to load.

It's also a rather good conversion as well.

Here's a real collectors item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160642753290#description

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 greg31

wow! what a collections...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Just picked these up this evening.
    My Zelda collection has only 2 gaps now, that is both of the NES games. I am of course not counting the CDi games and Four Swords Adventure.
    NewGameboyGames-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's also a rather good conversion as well.

Here's a real collectors item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160642753290#description

Listing not available???!!!

What was iiitttttt? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Listing not available???!!!

What was iiitttttt? :(

It's so mind blowingly amazing, only cool cats like me can see it. Sorry!

A one of a kind copy of the Bible signed by jesus christ himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A one of a kind copy of the Bible signed by jesus christ himself.

*insert sacrilegious joke here*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But his writing career kinda went quiet, but then the large format fiction novel kinda lost popularity around 30AD or so...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My new GbaSP arrived this morning, ags-101!
    It's a bit scuffed and battered but the screen is immaculate and games look better than ever, possibly better than even the GbMicro can muster.
    Plus this will play every game in the Gameboy series, while the Micro only plays GBA titles.
    Nice!
    I may pick up a replacement casing at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    around 30AD or so...

The Hollywood remake:

zombo-2000-ad-cover-al-ewing-henry-flint.jpg

Master of the Universe

Zombo, a waste of Henry Flint if you ask me! Was a fun novelty at the start but I've grown well tired of it at this stage.

Although if he did turn out to be a modern zombie jesus my interest may perk up again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Waiting for me at home last night......:D

2011-08-29221606.jpg

2011-08-29221650.jpg

2011-08-29221617.jpg

More than likley going to have to replace the caps...... Lines starting to merge.....:(

Waiting for me at home last night......:D

More than likley going to have to replace the caps...... Lines starting to merge.....:(

Excellent purchase dude. :D

/Edit: It's not cheap but the VecMulti is well worth the purchase if they are still available.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

That slantyness you have on the bottom copywrite MB 1982 is the problem that's developed in mine. The vectors are merging and misalligned.

However the rasters (or whatever the vector monitor versions are called) appear to be fine.

Do they look kind of scrambled on yours? I thought it might be something to do with the pots...you think it might be the caps though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Tell you what ....I will take a couple of photo's and you can see what I mean.......

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katharinewheel

Newest additions:

218c86c0.jpg

Haven't gotten round to checking out 1945 yet but the GB Micro is proper aceness.

Is that the twelve euro one off adverts? If so, I'll give you 12.50 for it.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Is that the twelve euro one off adverts? If so, I'll give you 12.50 for it.

Actually got it off one of my brothers mates for €40 with spiderman 2 in it.

Wait, there was one on Adverts for €12? :eek:

Yup, coupled with the 15 euro copy of Gamecube Twilight Princess, ranks amongst my greatest adverts misses.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    ranks amongst my greatest adverts misses.

That was a good bargain alright, although this has to be the best bargain on adverts, still cant believe it. anyone get anything off there that can beat this?

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-entertainment-system-nes/752521

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

keithgeo wrote: »
    That was a good bargain alright, although this has to be the best bargain on adverts, still cant believe it. anyone get anything off there that can beat this?

No one is ever going to beat that bargain you fuc...
    Sorry, jealousy got the better of me there for a minute:).

Master of the Universe

That was one of the best adverts deals I've ever seen alright. Jammy git indeed :D

I think Sera's FREE Steel Battalion kit is another contender for best deal ever.

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »

Wow, that really is a steal. And everything boxed too.... :eek:

Yeesh, that copy of zelda alone must be worth almost twice the asking for the lot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

haha had to drop that one again! Plus when i turned up, he had the box off the nes, and gyromite game aswell, and a bunch of manuals, posters etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I got a N64 with like 30 games before on adverts for 70 euros.

Games included - smash bros, mario party, mario kart, mario golf, mario tennis, mario 64, both zeldas, banjo tooie, goldeneye, fzero, conkers and some others.
    It was listed as n64 and a box of games.
    I only got it as my own n64 was broken.
    Nothing like that NES though. I was in like a minute after. Was getting ready to turn the car around and drive up there and then. Was raging.

Master of the Universe

Some of the NGP stuff which has arrived recently. I'm totally hooked on those snap lock cases, they're so lovely! I shall be buying lots.

NGP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Lovely NGP Vita NGPC stuff O1s1n totally jealous would love an NGPC but am feeling mean lately as I'm losing my job in a few weeks:(

Master of the Universe

Ah no man, that sucks about your work :( I'd like to reassure you by saying 'nah, don't bother being jealous..the NGP sucks ass'...but it really really doesn't. In fact I'm amazed, it's a little power house. Metal Slug kicks absolute ass.

If anything, it needs to be part of your motivation in getting out there and finding another job!

• Advertisement

NGP is so cheap as are the games that it's really affordable. I've built up a decent collection and I've no job! :) Also no responsibilities but that's only minor :P

NGP is so cheap as are the games that it's really affordable. I've built up a decent collection and I've no job! :) Also no responsibilities but that's only minor :P

I'm prob gonna regret this, but how much are we talking for one? I know nothing about any NeoGeo stuff (AES/MVS/NGP etc)....in my day if you had a NeoGeo, you were a rich little fecker!

Master of the Universe

You'll get a console for as low as about €25 delivered from Japan. I think mine was €30?

Unboxed games go for nothing. Think 5-10gbp! It's just when the games are boxed they go for a little more..but nothing bank breaking. Definitely get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Dammit straight to hell I need a NGPC badly:(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement