Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

HI , I have a B.A degree in Philosophy and Psychology . I went on to do a PGCE Primary in the U.K and have been doing sub teaching/Resource since . I'm looking for a change and think I'd be much happier working in secondary. I never considered it as I didn't think my degree subjects were relevant . I'm wondering now if anything has changed ? I see that a new subject called 'wellbeing' will be introduced to the Junior cert cycle in 2017 . Is there any point in me doing a Hdip or would I even get into one with my subjects ? Are there any other roles in secondary education that my qualifications would be relevant towards ? Thanks in advance .

Quite Simply... no!

Have you considered exploring Educational Psychologist as a career maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cashie88

Anyone know a rough date of when Hibernia's PME starts in the spring? It says March/April but does anyone know what date it started last year so i can get a rough ballpoint? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dubbeat

I have an honors degree in Computer Science / Design. I've been working in the industry for 10 years and it's time for me to change career I feel.

I'm seeking a change away from the commercial / hands on coding area and one option on my list of considerations is teaching.

If applying for PDGE would my primary degree limit me to math & science subjects?

I'm wondering if I wanted to teach something that I have a passion for (eg: English) would I need to complete another 3 year degree first.

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

dubbeat wrote: »
    I have an honors degree in Computer Science / Design. I've been working in the industry for 10 years and it's time for me to change career I feel.

I'm seeking a change away from the commercial / hands on coding area and one option on my list of considerations is teaching.

If applying for PDGE would my primary degree limit me to math & science subjects?

I'm wondering if I wanted to teach something that I have a passion for (eg: English) would I need to complete another 3 year degree first.

Thanks,

If you've never studied English at third level then I don't think you can teach English. You need so many credits in a subject to be able to teach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Thanks,

You are probably not even qualified to teach math and science let alone English. Look at the Teaching Council website to see if your degree is recognised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks,

I have a similar degree and was only registered to teach ICT which is worthless. I had to add on another subject at night. If you want to teach Maths/Science, you will have to get your qualifications assessed by the Teaching Council but I can tell you now, you will have to do some more study. Before committing to the PGDE, would there be any training roles in your industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lexa15

Hi guys.. What's the best route to go down to do the Post Grad in Primary Education? I have an honours degree in Business Management. Graduated a couple of years ago and primary teaching is something I've always wanted to do. Thinking of applying for next year.

The Hibernia online course or through a uni in Ireland that offers the course? Has anyone completed theirs in Scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Hi guys,

If I have a basic degree in science and a dentistry degree, would this allow me to undertake a HDip to teach science subjects?

Junior D wrote: »
    Hi guys,

If I have a basic degree in science and a dentistry degree, would this allow me to undertake a HDip to teach science subjects?

have a look and see if your science degree is on the TC list (pdf on their site somewhere) and it should say what subjects it covers. The dentistry might enable you extra subject (biology maybe !) but it would probably have to be assessed by tc...
    give them a ring and get anything in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dog95

Hi everyone,

I have just started my third year of an Arts degree at NUIM (english and geography) and I plan on applying for a PME in the next few weeks. I am going to be applying for it in NUIM and UCD as they are the ones closest to where I live.

I know that if I apply this year I will be applying with my second year results, and when looking at the points that were needed for last year, I would have missed out by .2% at NUIM, but I would have got a place at UCD. Is there any chance points will go down this year? I cant seem to be able to find the points for any of the previous years, so I am not sure if there is any pattern.

I hope to do a lot better in my third year results (naturally) and was wondering do PAC go by your second year results and them only, or is it possible that if you are in or around the number of points, they will provide a place which then depends on your third year results. I am guessing that isn't the case and that I would need to wait until next year, but just wanted to make sure.

Also, if I were to not get offered a place, would my best option be to do a masters, and then re-apply for the PME next year? I have read that if I am awarded a grant for a masters, I will not be able to receive a grant if I chose to also do a PME, is that correct? I am not sure I would be able to afford the fees in that case.

Any advice or answers would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

Dog95 wrote: »
    Is there any chance points will go down this year? I cant seem to be able to find the points for any of the previous years, so I am not sure if there is any pattern.
    Someone else may know more on this - but I think points have already gone down? Maybe a year or 2 ago? So they are probably unlikely to go down more? Could be wrong on that though! Very difficult to know how they will go, it only changed to a 2 year course last year, but they usually stay in or around the same.
    Also, if I were to not get offered a place, would my best option be to do a masters, and then re-apply for the PME next year?
    Don't see the logic in this tbh - I would say do a masters if you want to, but not as something to do for the sake of it just to fill the year..
    I have read that if I am awarded a grant for a masters, I will not be able to receive a grant if I chose to also do a PME, is that correct? I am not sure I would be able to afford the fees in that case.
    Is it not the case that all grants for post grad courses have been abolished? That would mean you won't get a grant for either course - I think if you previously qualified for the grant during your undergrad, you would still get a set sum towards expenses for a postgrad - but course fees will not be covered. Unless that has changed in the past year?

If you do end up having to fork out for the PME, make sure it is something you really want to do - jobs/hours are scarce and English and Geography would be quite an oversubscribed combination (have a read of some of the other threads on this). Someone else may have more information for you. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Hi all.

Can someone explain the whole primary teaching dip to me?

I am currently in college doing the B.Ed and I am thinking about the future. What is the process and what does it entail? Is it as paperwork heavy and "cut down all the trees" mantra like as the Teaching Practices in college?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Basically you have to do an evening course (I think it's mandatory now?) and you will have to have pristine notes for a year. You'll be inspected a minimum of two times, for a good section of the day.

Quick google brings up this: http://www.lec.ie/faqs-probation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i heard the new pme (hdip) is quite heavy going , a lot more than it used to be under the heading of h dip? i was told it is a lot more work than any degree, how true is this?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i heard the new pme (hdip) is quite heavy going , a lot more than it used to be under the heading of h dip? i was told it is a lot more work than any degree, how true is this?

It's not a hdip anymore - its a professional masters in education and is level 9.

was the h dip not level 9?

was the h dip not level 9?

No level 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I just finished a course (B.Ed) where the dip is built into the 4 year degree (so I didn't have to do the PME) but we had basically all our classes with the PME students. We had the same basic workload as the PME's but we had more hours and placement than they did. The PME's spent 6 weeks observing in schools so their course took a slower pace.

I wouldn't say the PME is more intense. I'd nearly the opposite as it is stretched over 2 years. It definitely calls for serious hard work though.

oh right so why would new teachers need to be educated to a higher standard than those pre 2013? do teachers need to upskill that didnt do a level 9 qualification? was there something lacking in teachers education or competancy that they had to move it to a level 9, 2 year course? and just one more question, is there a better chance of getting a job with a level 9 masters than those with level 8 h dip, i would imagine people with the level 9 would get the nod before people with the level 8 or is there any differnece or why was this done at all if not? dont mind the spelling dunno if theres spell chk on this

oh right so why would new teachers need to be educated to a higher standard than those pre 2013? do teachers need to upskill that didnt do a level 9 qualification? was there something lacking in teachers education or competancy that they had to move it to a level 9, 2 year course? and just one more question, is there a better chance of getting a job with a level 9 masters than those with level 8 h dip, i would imagine people with the level 9 would get the nod before people with the level 8 or is there any differnece or why was this done at all if not? dont mind the spelling dunno if theres spell chk on this

Money, money, money :) The PME costs €12000+ and the students don't even attend university most of the time due to teaching practice.

From what I hear from present dip students there is a lot of observation involved.

Getting a job will be difficult with whatever qualification you have. I'm sure the etb's would probably use a level 9 qualification essential and use it as a shortlisting criterion but on the flip side, someone who qualified before the PME and have been working continuously would be far be the better candidate due to experience.

Are you thinking of doing the PME?

• Advertisement

yes i prob will doing a bit of observation and teaching and love it! im looking forward to doing more, but just wasnt sure what was involved , i hope its not too boring the ed part, but id love the subject based work , i got a 1.1 in my degree last year and some dept people were trying to tell me to do a masters in either history or geography but i really didnt feel the love for doing one in those subjects. some amount of negativity about teaching but i think i should still follow my heart and do it when im enjoying it so much, im single so i can travel if needs be and im fairly fre from ties

yes i prob will doing a bit of observation and teaching and love it! im looking forward to doing more, but just wasnt sure what was involved , i hope its not too boring the ed part, but id love the subject based work , i got a 1.1 in my degree last year and some dept people were trying to tell me to do a masters in either history or geography but i really didnt feel the love for doing one in those subjects. some amount of negativity about teaching but i think i should still follow my heart and do it when im enjoying it so much, im single so i can travel if needs be and im fairly fre from ties

Just be aware that history/geography is a very common combination which will make it even more difficult to find work. Also with the introduction of the new JC (whenever it happens and whatever way it is implemented), history/geography will be combined and will not be compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

Just be aware that history/geography is a very common combination which will make it even more difficult to find work. Also with the introduction of the new JC (whenever it happens and whatever way it is implemented), history/geography will be combined and will not be compulsory.

History & Geography will not be combined in the new JC but they won't be compulsory. However given that students will still do up to 10 subjects for state certification many schools will continue to offer both.

like i say i think il follow my heart and do it. perhaps when the economy turns and population still increasing a few more secondary schools will be built and jobs become more common, im hearing of new secondary schools being built beside me where there nver was a secondary school, one in Enfield and another in new one in dunshuglin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Hi all

How do I get my undergrad & or postgrad recognised for the purposes of undertaking the postgrad for secondary teaching?

slingerz wrote: »
    Hi all

How do I get my undergrad & or postgrad recognised for the purposes of undertaking the postgrad for secondary teaching?

contact teaching council ... your course might be on their list already though.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Quick question regarding PAC points calculation:

I'm in final year of a Liberal Arts degree, studying Irish and English. My current QCA (2.78) leaves me with 2.2 degree. Looking at this table on the PAC website, that gets me 39 points (assuming mine is a degree where honours are available?).

The tables here say that the 2015 points were from 37 to 42, depending on the college. Does that mean that my academic records are worth 39 points of that requirement? Or could someone explain the system if they're not, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

I'll be applying for the PME at a number of colleges after Christmas. Do your subjects take any affect on how your application is viewed?

For arguments sake, would an applicant with Maths and Irish be viewed in a better light than one with the same qualification and credentials but comparatively common subjects, maybe English and History?

no if your degree is good , say a good 2:1 or 1:1 then you will be accepted. it goes on points like the cao, it all depends on how many are applying like supply and demand, the last two years demand for teaching has gone down a good bit, so points will prob be not as high. should be good news for all unemployed teachers out there that there seems to be very few applying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

no if your degree is good , say a good 2:1 or 1:1 then you will be accepted. it goes on points like the cao, it all depends on how many are applying like supply and demand, the last two years demand for teaching has gone down a good bit, so points will prob be not as high. should be good news for all unemployed teachers out there that there seems to be very few applying.

Not so bad, thanks for clearing that up! :)

Advertisement