Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i was told by a principle that having history and geography degree would be able to also teach politics and society if it comes in. now the same guy said he would have no qualms in throwing me into to do Ag.Science if he was in trouble, because i have the level 6 Agriculture cert! so i dont know!

Once you get a job, they can have you teaching anything. It's the getting of the job is the hard bit with some subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ah yes thats it, ah well the worst may b over at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

spurious wrote: »
    At the same time Politics and Society is coming online, CSPE is being made non-compulsory.
    That's joined up thinking right there.

CSPE is part of the compulsory new subject 'well-being' which includes PE & SPHE and is to have 400hrs contact time for junior cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Wally92

Hi guys,
    I have my interview for Hibernia this Thursday, for Post primary with Business and Geography. I am so nervous about what questions they will ask me, and what my 15 minute task will be, like how hard will the task be and what will it involve?
    Is there anyone there who did business or geography who can help me?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭username84

Wally92 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I have my interview for Hibernia this Thursday, for Post primary with Business and Geography. I am so nervous about what questions they will ask me, and what my 15 minute task will be, like how hard will the task be and what will it involve?
    Thanks
    Hey :)

Congrats, I just started in March, hope you're ready for work and travelling!!!

Anyway, my subjects were different but they are never going to go to deep into either. Read up on the curriculum of both, maybe read a bit on differenciation and ICT in the classroom.

For example, I'm out of college a long time, and basically told them so. From there I was able to move the subject away from history specific questions and towards HOW I would update my own knowledge.

It's not half as scary as it seems, relax and you'll be grand. Bit of knowledge in your areas and be honest if you aren't sure. You get the feeling they want you to succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mefj90

Am1993 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I have been placed on the waiting list for the PME in trinity. Was wondering if anyone knows how long it will be until you find out if you've been given a spot, and what are the odds of me actually getting a spot?

Hi I was on the waiting list with the PME in Trinity and got the call 3 days before the course started :-/ was not fun trying to get a school

• Registered Users Posts: 4 confusedcar

im only new to this and havent a clue how to start my own thread, anyhow im hoping someone can help me..

I've just received my final year results and im not at all happy or confident for the future. I did arts (irish and french) and came out with a third class honours degree :( all iv ever wanted to do is teach, and i did my 3rd year placement in a secondary school. I applied for a masters in UL for this year but didnt get it, so from September 2015 until May 2016 I am working in a secondary school helping teachers etc.

My question is can I still realistically get into a PME, preferably in a unIversity with this degree. I was really hoping and confident on my 2.2 degree but things didnt go as well as I hoped and atm I have zero confidence in myself and for the future :(

Any answers would be appreciated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MandM

Wally92 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Thanks

Hi,

I also have my interview on Thursday and am very nervous! I attended the open day in May and they told us that the 15 minute task would entail them giving you a set of four questions per subject choice and you need to rate each question by a traffic light system on how well you know the topic. The interviewer will then ask one question per subject based on this. Well this is what I took from their explanation anyway! Hope this helps and best of luck in your interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cheese5969

When do you need to apply for Hdip? Where do you apply to? Googled this and found the information online to be not great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mefj90

Postgratuate Applications Centre (PAC) apply before December 1st for 2016 start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 cheese5969

Thanks for the reply I've yet to research this fully. Are the courses two years in duration. Is there still a massive oversupply of teachers, particularly business economics and accounting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

cheese5969 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply I've yet to research this fully. Are the courses two years in duration. Is there still a massive oversupply of teachers, particularly business economics and accounting?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

im only new to this and havent a clue how to start my own thread, anyhow im hoping someone can help me..

I've just received my final year results and im not at all happy or confident for the future. I did arts (irish and french) and came out with a third class honours degree :( all iv ever wanted to do is teach, and i did my 3rd year placement in a secondary school. I applied for a masters in UL for this year but didnt get it, so from September 2015 until May 2016 I am working in a secondary school helping teachers etc.

My question is can I still realistically get into a PME, preferably in a unIversity with this degree. I was really hoping and confident on my 2.2 degree but things didnt go as well as I hoped and atm I have zero confidence in myself and for the future :(

Any answers would be appreciated :(

you would need to do a masters id say to have enough points for the pme in a university. id say your best option is Hibernia. you probably have the two best subjects of all the subjects though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 confusedcar

mengele wrote: »
    you would need to do a masters id say to have enough points for the pme in a university. id say your best option is Hibernia. you probably have the two best subjects of all the subjects though.

Is there any masters that don't require a 2.2 minimum :( UL , NUIG and Mary I all seem to require 2.2 degree :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Is there any masters that don't require a 2.2 minimum :( UL , NUIG and Mary I all seem to require 2.2 degree :(

I don't think Hibernia have any specific grade requirements, just a Level 8 degree. It's not your preferred option of a university but you would probably get in no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I don't think Hibernia have any specific grade requirements, just a Level 8 degree. It's not your preferred option of a university but you would probably get in no bother.

I wouldnt be so quick to assume though, they mightnt be as pickey on high grades but I know someone who went on interview panels and they do seem to look for people who will represent the college as they want to build ongoing contacts in schools for teaching practice etc. I was told they have no qualms about refusing people who havnt done their research on what the course entails or havnt considered aspects of teaching ( like discipline or subject knowledge)! Thats just from one person though so a bit of a generalisation... but I presume his worked with different panellists (i think they have 2 subject teachers interviewing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Don't forget DCU still has a part time option, it's still a mix of interview and results.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Anyone doing their PME in UL by any chance? Have ye been approached by the careers division yet about teaching practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

is it ok on your first day teaching to ask the class to introduce themselves and where there from? if u have a slight knowledge of areas/villages etc as its a rural town school , is this a good start or should you just start into teaching and coursework? i just thought it can get them talking instead of looking back at you blankly. anyone any ideas on how to put down good markers for discipline early, im not into shouting to be honest. i was maybe thinking of giving them the promise of an odd fun class or no homework on fridays for work being done well and general good behaviour along with the threat of plenty of boring hadship and homework if they want it that way. i use this in GAA underage training .ie ballwork and games instead of laps and running !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

is it ok on your first day teaching to ask the class to introduce themselves and where there from? if u have a slight knowledge of areas/villages etc as its a rural town school , is this a good start or should you just start into teaching and coursework? i just thought it can get them talking instead of looking back at you blankly.

It depends on what subject you're teaching. I teach languages and when meeting a class for the first time, I would get them to do this (obviously not first years) and write down their names in my seating plan. Can't see the relevance for a maths/English class etc. If you're not teaching languages, I wouldn't bother - but that is only my opinion and because you are doing TP, they will know each other already so it would be pointless (unless you are starting on the first day back). I would ask them their names and write that down in seating plan (if you don't already have one from your supervising teacher).
    anyone any ideas on how to put down good markers for discipline early, im not into shouting to be honest. i was maybe thinking of giving them the promise of an odd fun class or no homework on fridays for work being done well and general good behaviour along with the threat of plenty of boring hadship and homework if they want it that way. i use this in GAA underage training .ie ballwork and games instead of laps and running !

When I did my TP, my supervising teacher was in the room at the beginning of class and gave warnings about behaviour etc. so there was no need for me to do it - I just taught the lesson. Since my dip, I don't go in all fires blazing regarding behaviour on the first day - I deal with it when the need arises because it starts a bad relationship between you and the students.

I wouldn't be promising any fun classes or threatening more homework regarding behaviour. I wouldn't offer the fun class because that is the day your supervisor is going to land on the doorstep and then you'll have to deal with 'Sir/Miss, I thought we were having a fun day?'. I never gave a fun day on TP - carry on with the work.

Homework is a way to revise what happened in the class and shouldn't be seen as a punishment. If students spend a long time on homework as a punishment, you are going to turn them off your subject and if you work in a school where you have taster subjects, you will have earned the name for being a tough teacher who gives lots of homework - you won't get many students signing up.

• Advertisement

is it ok on your first day teaching to ask the class to introduce themselves and where there from? if u have a slight knowledge of areas/villages etc as its a rural town school , is this a good start or should you just start into teaching and coursework? i just thought it can get them talking instead of looking back at you blankly. anyone any ideas on how to put down good markers for discipline early, im not into shouting to be honest. i was maybe thinking of giving them the promise of an odd fun class or no homework on fridays for work being done well and general good behaviour along with the threat of plenty of boring hadship and homework if they want it that way. i use this in GAA underage training .ie ballwork and games instead of laps and running !

Hmm... primary maybe! (I dunno about primary).

But Secondary... now way with the chit chat/promise of fun. I think they expect to be taught. Maybe do the 'class rules' thing, Give them a plan of where you want to go while you're there... what today's lesson is, and then just get stuck in

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GreaseGunner

Do the subjects you're taking have any effect on your chances of getting accepted to the hDip?

For example, would someone with more sought after subjects be viewed more favourably than someone looking to qualify with subjects of which there is an abundance of teachers seeking work? (assuming all other qualifications were roughly equal)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cashie88

hey guys

Just filling in the application on PAC for the PME 2016 intake.

I have just come to the subject declaration part and I am completley confused.

What modules am I supposed to list? Third year only or for every year? (there is only a couple of lines to fill in though) It says I need at least 15 credits in Irish History alone something I have over the three years but not third year?

Any help would be appreciated before I pull my hair out!

I remember ringing the PAC before and they were pretty helpful (hard to find the number though). I think it would be assumed that if you are doing History in 3rd year then you have done it in 1st and 2nd!!! They should know what the credit situation with most of the main Irish courses anyway.Squeeze in as much as you can anyway, I don't think they'll penalise for going outside the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

cashie88 wrote: »
    hey guys

Just filling in the application on PAC for the PME 2016 intake.

I have just come to the subject declaration part and I am completley confused.

What modules am I supposed to list? Third year only or for every year? (there is only a couple of lines to fill in though) It says I need at least 15 credits in Irish History alone something I have over the three years but not third year?

Any help would be appreciated before I pull my hair out!

I think the Teaching Council require certain modules now so make sure you have them down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GreaseGunner

I'm in final year in an arts degree with Irish and English as my subjects. I'm hoping to come out with a 2.1 degree which I'm pretty happy with.

I was looking at this Master of Education in Mary Immaculate. Am I right in saying that I would be qualified to teach in secondary schools having completed this post grad?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cashie88

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies.

Just another quick question. Does anyone know when they release what points you need for the PME? Does it change every year?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

HI , I have a B.A degree in Philosophy and Psychology . I went on to do a PGCE Primary in the U.K and have been doing sub teaching/Resource since . I'm looking for a change and think I'd be much happier working in secondary. I never considered it as I didn't think my degree subjects were relevant . I'm wondering now if anything has changed ? I see that a new subject called 'wellbeing' will be introduced to the Junior cert cycle in 2017 . Is there any point in me doing a Hdip or would I even get into one with my subjects ? Are there any other roles in secondary education that my qualifications would be relevant towards ? Thanks in advance .

HI , I have a B.A degree in Philosophy and Psychology . I went on to do a PGCE Primary in the U.K and have been doing sub teaching/Resource since . I'm looking for a change and think I'd be much happier working in secondary. I never considered it as I didn't think my degree subjects were relevant . I'm wondering now if anything has changed ? I see that a new subject called 'wellbeing' will be introduced to the Junior cert cycle in 2017 . Is there any point in me doing a Hdip or would I even get into one with my subjects ? Are there any other roles in secondary education that my qualifications would be relevant towards ? Thanks in advance .

I wouldn't say there's much point. All those 'well being' and 'mindfulness' subjects will be given to people like CSPE and SPHE are now, as timetable fillers. You would need at least one other 'proper' subject.

• Advertisement

I'm in final year in an arts degree with Irish and English as my subjects. I'm hoping to come out with a 2.1 degree which I'm pretty happy with.

I was looking at this Master of Education in Mary Immaculate. Am I right in saying that I would be qualified to teach in secondary schools having completed this post grad?

I don't think so, but double check with them.
    For second-level teaching you need the Professional Masters in Education as offered by UCD, DCU, TCD and others, or one of the specific teaching degrees.

Mary I offer a PME, but it is for Primary teaching.

Advertisement