Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Date Night. Thought it was alright. A little disappointed to be honest.

I totally agree, I thought from the ads it was going to be a laugh out loud comedy, espcially with the leads being who they are. If it wasn't for a topless Mark Whalberg I would have been a very disappointed girl ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

City of God - great film. Cant believe I hadnt seen it before now. So City of Men, the sequal - any good?

It's not a sequel. It's not nearly as good but still worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - not as good as I thought it would be, but a good film.

The Princess and the Frog - brilliant, great to see Disney going back to basics.

Basil the Great Mouse Detective - Classic! every kid should see it

Kick Ass - quality. Hit Girl rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yeah Basil the great mouse detective, love it.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Saw it recently and absolutely loved it. The girlfriend hated it :rolleyes:. Bad guys busting into coins, brings back memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

just watched a South African movie Gangsters Paradise- Jerusalema,

very good.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0783532/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Back to the Future (Digitally Remastered).

I had butterflies the entire movie. It was like I was a child again as I watched what I thought I'd never see: Marti McFly and Doc on the big screen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Back to the Future - perfect, as always

Mr. Nice - not a complete disappointment, but deeply flawed, and the decision to superimpose footage of the cast onto archive film in order to place them in the era is, at times, laughably bad

The Social Network - superb, with brilliant central performances from Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Piranha

For a film that is basically tongue-in-cheek references and solid gore, I expected to enjoy it more! :(

Good cast (especially loved
    Richard Dreyfuss and the 'Jaws' reference
    at the start) but for a 85 minute film, it really fecking dragged in parts.

Alexandra Aja just keeps dropping down in my estimation since 'Haute Tension'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Bird with Crystal Plumage (1969) Dario Argentos debut feature as director/writer and the template for much of his career. Shown by Horror Channel as part of the Argento season (Friday nights) in correct aspect ratio shocker! The film is a bit wonky at times with its dubbed Italian parts combined with two English speaking leads and a few of the characters are a bit odd in rather random ways (the pimp and the artist). Worth seeing for historical reasons being one of the earliest "Giallos". Unlike later Argento flicks the blood letting is modest so only a 15s cert
    the razor murder scene in the doorway was lifted wholesale by De Palma for Angie Dickinsons death in Dressed to Kill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

The Girl who played with Fire.
    Not as good as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but good all the same.

The Class. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

marwelie wrote: »
    The Girl who played with Fire.
    Not as good as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but good all the same.

The Class. Highly recommended.

Which "The Class" is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I didnt realise there was more than one ;o)

This one

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1068646/

I also saw The Breakfast Club again last night. John Hughes RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Twisted: saw this last night on tv, I wasnt expecting much but I really enjoyed it in a turn your brain off kinda way (have a bit of a soft spot for Andy Garcia I must admit :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

gotta love andy garcia.

watched Robin Hood again. twice. Im a sucker for ridley scott films, what can I say. might root out gladiator for later.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The Town - Excellent heist movie. Comparisons to Heat are justified but Heat is the superior movie imo. Highly recommended nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

The Town - Excellent heist movie. Comparisons to Heat are justified but Heat is the superior movie imo. Highly recommended nonetheless.

i actually thought The town was better then Heat imo

a better storyline i think

i watched amores perros http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245712/
    it fantastic if you liked 11-14 or those films with multiple storylines you will like this, hopefully

i actually thought The town was better then Heat imo

a better storyline i think

I think the chemistry between DeNiro and Pacino as respected enemies was infinitely better than with Affleck/Hamm and the characters overall were more complex. Hamm's FBI agent had no real background for us to make a decision on him. The Town did a reversal on Heat also by
    Making you side with Affleck and Co. when they were the bad guys. Made the authorities out to be the bad guys. It's not often I root for a cop-killing bank robber.

The set-pieces in The Town were staggeringly good and did rival the apres-bank scene in Heat while adding a touch of Ronin to the proceedings. Heart was pumping watching the chase sequences.

Two very good movies but Heat shades it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Winter's bone - Suuuperb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Birds *eyes crows outside my window*

Be Kind Rewind earlier this week, I loved it.
    I had the Sweded version!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Mark of Zorro - 90 years old and still the best version!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

I'm just after watching 'Mr Nobody' and thought it was brilliant. Clever mix of science fiction and a love story.

It's a great performance from Jared Leto (Requiem for a Dream) and the future effects were done really well.

Azumi - standard issue Japanese ninja/assassin flick where the only more OTT than the violence, is the acting. Loved it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Beyond (1981) seriously underbaked Lucio Fulic zombie movie, the shuffling dead finally crank into life (death?) in the last 15 mins, before that slow paced with poorly staged death scenes and pretty tatty effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not Another Teen Movie (2001)

As hit and miss as it is, it's still miles ahead of the spoof genre as it is now.

Did like the bit where the jock gets told that to win a girl over (named Janey), he should sing a song to her with her name in it:

(the YouTube caption somewhat spoils the joke! :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Love at First Bite (1979) George Hamilton (as Dracula). Spoof of the original Dracula and it was quite good, some references and quotes from the original film as well.
    *pulls out star of David* Damn, wrong one! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Vampires Suck, a comedy-spoof on Twilight. If you plan to see it, make sure you've had a couple Guinness in advance, or don't bother.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Nightmare on Elm St 2010 : Avoid. Wrote up a full review of it here in the boards review section. Long story short, this base shock-horror has nothing to offer.

After.Life 2009
    : Liam Neeson and Christina Ricci (who gets them out; albeit as a corpse) is a mortician who can speak to the dead; Ricci's just died in a car accident. Don't try to think about it, just let the movie unfold. Also features a guy that looks like Keano Reeves' stunt double. A boring start but held my attention for the last 40+ minutes. By no means essential viewing, but it's decent enough. Neeson is quite enjoyable in the role, and is interesting seeing Ricci's gradual acceptance of being dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

went to see wall street and thought it was amazing!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A V A wrote: »
    went to see wall street and thought it was amazing!!!!
    Really? That's good to hear, I look forward to seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

yep i went in thinking it would be boring because its about shares and all that wall street stuff and i hate that stuf with a passion but it surprised me !!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement