Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Hilarious reading people trying to justify the water scam. Bottom line is more than half the country aren't being fooled into paying it and IW fill fail. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Hilarious reading people trying to justify the water scam. Bottom line is more than half the country aren't being fooled into paying it and IW fill fail. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Not paying is not an option if we, as a society, want drinkable water delivered to our taps.

Only the method of payment is up for debate.

Everyone to pay or just PAYE workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

and just to make clear I made no declaration saying the money would evaporate the money will still be used for what its being used for now which will include water because no one has still produced any evidence to the contrary, link me any document or anything that any minister has said differently.

Making any assumption without fact is still just an assumption so as of now general taxation still pays for everything so yes you are paying twice for water

and to reiterate for the thousandth time im in favour of a progressive taxation system whereby the further up the scale of wealth you go the more you pay and have not wavered in that since the start of this disaster and everyone pays what they can afford which would more then cover the infrastructure rather then paying for fat cat pensions and meters that are redundant for at least 4 to 5 years and may never be used as the whole situation is so toxic now that no government would touch it with a 10 foot pole

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Daith wrote: »
    And again any funding from the property charge (if any) to water infrastructure would stop. That's once.

What do you mean stop it never started all that money went to some bank account in Switzerland

We were lied too

Just like we are now

When the cap comes off the water charge you will know all about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Not paying is not an option if we, as a society, want drinkable water delivered to our taps.

I agree. I am in the 'everyone to pay' camp. The anti water charge protesters are in the 'PAYE workers to pay' camp.

And thats pretty much all there is to it with respect to the concept of water charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

shinzon wrote: »
    and to reiterate for the thousandth time im in favour of a progressive taxation system whereby the further up the scale of wealth you go the more you pay and have not wavered in that since the start of this disaster and everyone pays what they can afford
    Shin

And all I hear from you is that you want inequality whereby people who earn more for some reason pay more for water and people with a well/group scheme pay twice and some pay nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Sounds like someone has a vested interest in making sure other people keep paying for their water.

Sounds like someone's making unfounded insinuations.

and to reiterate for the thousandth time im in favour of a progressive taxation system whereby the further up the scale of wealth you go the more you pay

I think you're more in the "I'd like other people to pay for my water" camp myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

The banks are an option.

And the wider financial sector could also be levied, or contribute.

Such as insurance companies,who make obnxious profits.

There are a lot of options,other than the taxpayer.

gladrags wrote: »
    The banks are an option.

Ahh - it's the 'why can't someone else pay for it' argument so beloved of the Shinners and the other Looney Left Parties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

The banks are an option.

The banks pay taxes and levies.

Insurance companies pay taxes and levies. How much profits do they make, exactly?

What do you mean by "the wider financial sector"?- and what makes you think they don't already pay taxes?

And all I hear from you is that you want inequality whereby people who earn more for some reason pay more for water and people with a well/group scheme pay twice and some pay nothing at all.

That's grand so at least you missed the point entirely progressive taxation means the ability to pay not some pie in the sky scheme which leaves more people in poverty unable to pay hows that contributing to your everyone pays mantra, what your basically saying is whats mine is mine and **** you if your poor you need to pay as much as im paying and sure if you go hungry or are unable to pay other bills so be it is that what your actually saying, you want to drive people into poverty over some twisted version of inequality.

As much as you want to sweep it under the carpet there is people who simply cannot afford to pay this bill at the end of the month when everything else is paid but again **** em right.

And queue the give up this that and the other brigade and round and round we go at this stage every knows where it will stop.

Shin

I think you're more in the "I'd like other people to pay for my water" camp myself.

and again how wrong you are, how is the ability to pay and everyone contributes what they can afford in that camp as you say.

trolling much

Shin

As much as you want to sweep it under the carpet there is people who simply cannot afford to pay this bill at the end of the month when everything else is paid but again **** em right.

Shin

Dress it up anyway you want. You're arguing for an unequal scheme whereby somebody pays more for water because of how much they earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

That's grand so at least you missed the point entirely progressive taxation means the ability to pay not some pie in the sky scheme which leaves more people in poverty unable to pay hows that contributing to your everyone pays mantra, what your basically saying is whats mine is mine and **** you if your poor you need to pay as much as im paying and sure if you go hungry or are unable to pay other bills so be it is that what your actually saying, you want to drive people into poverty over some twisted version of inequality.

And queue the give up this that and the other brigade and round and round we go at this stage every knows where it will stop.

Shin

I think everyone wants to support people who are in need/without work.

Your argument is a strawman one and you are just itching for someone to say they could cancel their Sky Subscription.

Dress it up anyway you want. You're arguing for an unequal scheme whereby somebody pays more for water because of how much they earn.

And everyone pays what they can afford, its not inequality when your protecting the most vulnerable but there still paying jesus you have some warped sense of logic that's all ill say

you bitch saying some sections don't pay for water, I propose a scheme where everyone contributes based on your ability to pay where everyone pays and you still bitch desperate much

You still haven't answered the question are you prepared to say right now that you want people to go into poverty just so they can pay the same rate as you simple yes or no, don't deflect quote other parts of my post are you that selfish that that's what you want to happen

yes or no

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,531 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Will Paul Murphy and his fellow travellers condemn the putting of human excrement in to form envelopes?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/suspected-human-excrement-mailed-with-irish-water-registration-form-30778854.html

Your argument is a strawman one and you are just itching for someone to say they could cancel their Sky Subscription.

that's already been said several times across the 3 threads tbh along with UPC if I remember correctly

Shin

You still haven't answered the question are you prepared top say right now that you want people to go into poverty just so they can pay the same rate as you simple yes or no, don't deflect quote other parts of my post are you that selfish that that's what you want to happen

yes or no

Shin

Why are they paying the same rate as me? Oh they don't want meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Will Paul Murphy and his fellow travellers condemn the putting of human excrement in to form envelopes?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/suspected-human-excrement-mailed-with-irish-water-registration-form-30778854.html

Looks what happens when a communist opens their mouth.

Sh*t comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Valetta wrote: »
    The banks pay taxes and levies.

Insurance companies pay taxes and levies. How much profits do they make, exactly?

What do you mean by "the wider financial sector"?- and what makes you think they don't already pay taxes?

Without any stats of water consumption by sector, It's a case of households potentially paying for water used by the whole agri and industrial/commercial sectors.

The collective E200 million looks small, in the scheme of things.

Much noise is made by ministers of the need to be able to ensure that quality water supplies are available to attract new industrial investment.

No mention yet of anyone but domestic users paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Who will then offset this via increased premiums...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Without any stats of water consumption by sector, It's a case of households potentially paying for water used by the whole agri and industrial/commercial sectors.

Much noise is made by ministers of the need to be able to ensure that quality water supplies are available to attract new industrial investment.

Not sure what your point is, but non domestic users already pay...

Why are they paying the same rate as me? Oh they don't want meters.

yup still wont answer the question I asked for a yes or no and you still wont answer it so unless you do then im assuming (see what I did there) that you do want people to go into poverty to pay the same rate as you

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

that's already been said several times across the 3 threads tbh along with UPC if I remember correctly

Shin

Can you then explain why people in other countries where water usage is payed for out of your Social Welfare are able to survive ?

Or even in certain cases where you pay your mandatory health insurance contributions out of your social welfare ?

People are muddying social responsibility with being able to account for direct costs.

The direct cost model is better because you see exactly what you pay for.

The common argument in Ireland was that other countries had better services and the money you paid you could see directly where it went.

It's the job of Social Welfare system to support people out of work to pay the cost to live, it's not for the government to massage the cost to live to suit the Social Welfare system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Businesses already pay water rates, as well as commercial rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You can be absolutely sure he would.

Its just a pity they didnt CC Alan Kelly. And Phil Hogan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

hju6 wrote: »
    So one person throwing a brick after all the peaceful protesters have gone, does not constitute a riot, nor make the brick thrower a rioter, as misreported by the press
    falan wrote: »
    It still wasn't a riot. The man who threw the brick should be done for trying to incite a riot. Take him out of the picture and all you have is civil disobedience.

Why do you keep talking about the brick guy? I'm talking about the incident where a woman was imprisoned in her car against her will, her staff were assaulted, Gardaí were assaulted and robbed and almost every offence under the public order act was breached. The brick guy is irrelevant to that.

Can you then explain why people in other countries where water usage is payed for out of your Social Welfare are able to survive ?

Or even in certain cases where you pay your mandatory health insurance contributions out of your social welfare ?

People are muddying social responsibility with being able to account for direct costs.

The direct cost model is better because you see exactly what you pay for.

The common argument in Ireland was that other countries had better services and the money you paid you could see directly where it went.

It's the job of Social Welfare system to support people out of work to pay the cost to live, it's not for the government to massage the cost to live to suit the Social Welfare system.

Im not talking about other countries im talking about here where commensurately everything is more expensive and where report after report has homelessness and people not having money to survive at the end of the month after paying all the bills they already have nevermind the water charge on top of that

Shin

• Advertisement

Im not talking about other countries im talking about here where commensurately everything is more expensive and where report after report has homelessness and people not having money to survive at the end of the month after paying all the bills they already nevermind the water charge on top of that

Shin
    Why would a homeless person be liable for water charges?

Sounds like another strawman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement