Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm surprised the Indo published this letter. I think the 10th has morphed into a expression of the frustration of the tax payers of this country and the total lack of accountability from the Government and it's associated services and I think this womans letter in the Independent articulates that in a very clear fashion. (quoted in case DO'B sends an edict down to "vanish" it ;))

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/injustice-is-injustice-wherever-you-live-its-time-to-protest-30775466.html
    Injustice is injustice, wherever you live - it's time to protest

For many, the water charges seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back. But everyone has their own epiphany. A point is reached when you just realise that enough is enough and that you have to do or say something.

I reached this point last Monday when I was charged €100 by Galway Co Council for a letter stating that the road outside my property was in its charge.

I queried this fee that same day and asked to speak to a supervisor. No one was available so I asked for an email address. I duly emailed the person asking for a justification for this exorbitant charge. I have not received a reply. This was the final straw for me.

During the previous week I had read Donna Hartnett's letter in the Irish Independent and I cried because I was relieved that I wasn't the only person feeling as she did. Then I read about the expenses our TDs are claiming. How can our politicians justify the immorality of claiming up to and above €200,000 in expenses?

Donna Hartnett spoke about the squeezed middle, the people who have to pay for everything, the people who are assumed to be well off because they have jobs. These are the people who are keeping this country going, the people who have to find €50-€60 to pay the GP when a child is sick. These are the people who work so hard that they are miserable and their children are miserable. We don't complain because it is not in us to complain.

We don't live in a Third World country, we are the privileged. But injustice is injustice no matter what part of the world you live in, and Irish society has become very unjust. The gap between rich and poor seems to be getting wider.

This is why I would encourage people to go out and protest on December 10. Water charges may not be the biggest issue for you but if you feel that an injustice is being done to you, your family, your neighbours or your friends, get out there and let your voice be heard.

There are still many issues out there that have not gone away. There are still children with special needs who are not getting the therapies they need because of cutbacks, or because staff are not replaced when they go on maternity leave. Just ask anyone who works for or is a client of the Brothers of Charity services or other service providers.

Protest about the issues you feel are important. Demand that our politicians be accountable, demand that our county councils be accountable to and respectful of the people they serve.

And we don't need Paul Murphy or any 'professional' protesters telling us how we should protest. We are tired of being treated like submissive fools. Politicians, dismiss us at your peril!

Mary O'Donovan

Ballymoe, Co Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Working all week myself yet when my son and i are sick,The thought of finding the money to pay the doctor is more stressful than the illness itself.

Booked the 10th off work yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

gandalf wrote: »
    Why all this talk of a riot. There was NO riot. There were a few idiots in a crowd.

If you want to see what a riot looks like check out what happened in Ferguson the other night, that's what a riot looks like.

Because for the purposes of Irish law, only 12 people need be involved in order to be a riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Because for the purposes of Irish law, only 12 people need be involved in order to be a riot .

And for the purposes of this thread, and for lads all in support of Irish Water, no one needs to be actually charged with it.

What's that all about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Because for the purposes of Irish law, only 12 people need be involved in order to be a riot.

So one person throwing a brick after all the peaceful protesters have gone, does not constitute a riot, nor make the brick thrower a rioter, as misreported by the press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

It still wasn't a riot. The man who threw the brick should be done for trying to incite a riot. Take him out of the picture and all you have is civil disobedience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Working all week myself yet when my son and i are sick,The thought of finding the money to pay the doctor is more stressful than the illness itself.

Booked the 10th off work yesterday.

So what are you protesting about?

As far as I can understand the march is about the total abolition of water charges.
    If successful and as water will still need to be paid for, additional funding will have to come from income taxes to replace what would have come from water charges.

So you're effectively protesting that you'd like to pay more income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

falan wrote: »
    It still wasn't a riot. The man who threw the brick should be done for trying to incite a riot. Take him out of the picture and all you have is civil disobedience.

To those who blindly support the establishment no matter how egregious their behavior or no matter how valid the grievances of activists, "civil disobedience" is analogous to "terrorism". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

falan wrote: »

Na, it was a riot ok.
    Did you not the burning cars and businesses???
    It was all over the news........oh wait, that was Ferguson....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

As far as I can understand the march is about the total abolition of water charges.
    If successful and as water will still need to be paid for, additional funding will have to come from income taxes to replace what would have come from water charges.

Agreed, that additional funding will have to come from somewhere, as you said, from income taxes.

But I think that it's the principal of the whole thing at this stage, as it's seen as a Tax on a Tax. Water is already being paid for by the Tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

hallo dare wrote: »
    But I think that it's the principal of the whole thing at this stage, as it's seen as a Tax on a Tax. Water is already being paid for by the Tax payer.

So people who don't pay tax get water for free?

To those who blindly support the establishment no matter how egregious their behavior or no matter how valid the grievances of activists, "civil disobedience" is analogous to "terrorism". :rolleyes:

You see, if they continue to use the word terrorism, they can try and link it to dissidents.
    Dissidents, enda's new best friends when they need a hug......and he needs to score cheap political points.....

Daith wrote: »

Yes basically!!! The same way they get a wage for free every week at the post office. From Tax payers money.

Break it down to me in a basic list.....

Who doesn't pay taxes in this country?

Yes basically!!! The same way they get a wage for free every week at the post office. From Tax payers money.

The pot of taxpayers money that the majority contributed to when they were working.
    Ever heard of PRSI?

Denis O'Brien?

What's the phrase? Tax Non Domicile isn't it?

Doesn't the PAC want to talk to a few over that very topic? That list of politicians & their friends would make interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Exactly. More income taxes on the "squeezed middle", and people who are on social welfare or generous pensions will pay nothing. Protesters are shooting themselves in the foot - because despite what SF/the SWP would have you believe, treated water is not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

You see, if they continue to use the word terrorism, they can try and link it to dissidents.
    Dissidents, enda's new best friends when they need a hug......and he needs to score cheap political points.....

It's rather similar to how the NSA and GCHQ repeatedly tell us "we only use mass surveillance to catch terrorists!" and then we subsequently find that they use their tools to disrupt everything from Anonymous to political discussions on Reddit.

• Advertisement

Why break it down? People who don't pay taxes didn't/don't pay for water.

Why are you against everyone being charged for water versus taxpayers only paying for water?

How many people protesting will happily accept the xmas bonus from social welfare?

The pot of taxpayers money that the majority contributed to when they were working.
    Ever heard of PRSI?

You've answered it yourself there in your statement. "The Majority".

To all those that contributed during there working lives, only to be let off or other complications leading to redundancy then they are more than entitled to claim their money .

There's plenty in this Country that haven't had a job for a day in their lives that the rest of us are paying taxes for.

Why break it down? People who don't pay taxes didn't/don't pay for water.

Why are you against everyone being charged for water versus taxpayers only paying for water?

How many people protesting will happily accept the xmas bonus from social welfare?

Just one example............

Who doesn't pay taxes in this country :confused:

(and fairplay for being the first to bring that argument to the table)...........

To all those that contributed during there working lives, only to be let off or other complications leading to redundancy then they are more than entitled to claim their money .

There's plenty in this Country that haven't had a job for a day in their lives that the rest of us are paying taxes for.

Absolutely.
    Even when we had 'full employment' there were over 100,000 like that.
    I'd reduce their dole and entitlements year on year to 'encourage' them to get to work but the lilly livered lot wouldn't have it.....

(and fairplay for being the first to bring that argument to the table)...........

That argument? It's the only argument.

Anyway. Some people on social welfare may not pay tax. One example.

Why are you against everyone paying for water?

Or indeed. What do you hope to achieve/change by marching? What is it you want?

Another protest on Saturday in Wexford with a large turnout,it actually looked to be bigger than the one on the National Day of Protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Ok close this thread, we have a winner!
    FYI, most people that are seeking benefits do not want to be doing so! Most people would like to be back at work, but guess what? **** all jobs going around now! Why? Well jobbridge is taking away a lot of real jobs just to make the figures look good.

Carry on with you're belittling of people.

(where are you're facts that state so many have never worked, nor want to work come from?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They are trying to imply that everyone pays taxes through VAT and other non direct taxes, however the VAST majority of the tax pot is taken in income tax so the argument is redundant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Do people on welfare not pay VAT or car tax etc... the only taxes they don't pay is income related taxes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

This country is a cesspit of corruption. Suspended sentences yet not a single banker has seen that for crimes far far worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement